The Brass Rail
135 Washington Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Brass Rail
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebrassrailnj.com/
- Phone: 2016597074
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, serving brunch from 11:30am - 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Doug Gough
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Thank you for considering The Brass Rail for your private event. Whether you are celebrating a birthday, a bridal or baby shower, a social meeting, or are planning a corporate event, The Brass Rail is Hoboken's premier upscale dining restaurant, offering a warm and comfortable atmosphere.
- Private Party Contact: Carrie Fellens 2016597074
A word from The Brass Rail
For the perfect fusion of Old City Charm and Modern Cosmopolitan Chic, the Brass Rail offers a tantalizing alternative to conventional dining out. Whether you're in search of a funky, energetic visit to the bar or an intimate experience in the upstairs dining room, the Brass Rail has the perfect combination of atmosphere and fine dining. Eat. Drink. Be Happy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Brass Rail reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (7)romantic (6)fit for foodies (5)great for outdoor dining (5)special occasion (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- good restaurant but....NYLindaDined on 10/4/2014The food was great and had fun different items on the menu. Everything was great except for the noise level. We sat upstairs and unfortunately the level of each table was so loud we had a hard time hearing each other. I don't know if there is a way to add something to the walls but because of that I don't know if I could go back. We were a table of 8, only see each other 2x a year and had a hard time talking to each other unless it was someone right next to me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch spot!lah23Dined on 9/14/2014Delicious and affordable brunch with select drinks while you dine!Special Features:
- Great food, great time.AguiladeaceroDined on 8/15/2014Had a great meal here and have to thank the staff for a accommodating a special request to be seated in a quieter area of the restaurant. Food was on par with the price, and the ambiance was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StandardnycfoodDined on 8/9/2014Standard American style bar and restaurant. Food was just okay, nothing special. Service was lackingSpecial Features:
- It was OKDeviantVIPDined on 8/7/2014Food was average -- the service was attentive. Wouldn't really go back - unless it was the only restaurant with availability in Hoboken.
- Not as goodFoodformeeeeDined on 8/6/2014I don't know if they were not prepared for restaurant or they were under staffed in the kitchen but we sat down at 7:15 and left at 8:45, so we sat before everyone and we were the last left. We only order appetizers and entrees, no drinks, no desires. It took about 30 minutes for the apps and 2 of the 4 apps we got were bad and missing ingredients. The entrees 2 out of 5 meals likes what they had. The pasta was over cooked, the shrimp was overcooked, the pasta didn't have any sauce or real liquid, the salmon was bad and a little rare. Bad meal but great dinner with friends. Such a shame because i had never been there before and have no desire to go back
- Dinner in HobokenBirdVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food and the service were perfect; only bad thing was the portion size of my main course, skirt steak, was so small that it was completely hidden by the bed of spinach and mushrooms. I needed to eat a slice of pizza about an hour after dinner to be full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiefanDined on 7/26/2014We come to The Brass Rail every time we want to celebrate something with a special meal. We ALWAYS have superb service and the food never disappoints. Their menu is wonderful, with many options no matter what you like to eat. They also have a really creative martini/mixed drink list that changes each season - we have a good time trying them all out. I'm a big seafood fan and am always excited to hear their specials. The Brass Rail is a classy, charming restaurant and the waitstaff is truly deserving of our tips. I love the calm atmosphere and the music is always pleasant. We left dinner looking forward to the next time we'll go there. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable b-day eveningDisappointedDined on 7/9/2014My wife and I were celebrating her birthday in city she lived and we met. Had not been to Brass Rail in many years. For 7:30 PM Wed, upstairs seating was empty, but by 8:15 PM. a thid of tables had patrons. Maybe not a popular night. Waiter was very attentive and food off regular menu was tasty. We both had salads and seafoof entres. No complaints. Nice feature was voucher for discounted parking lot one block away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 158 reviews are from the The Brass Rail reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014Poor performance on this visit; the kitchen forgot our order and the manager did little to rectify the situation. We were assured that 'our order was waiting in line', meanwhile other tables were served first and it took 2 hrs to have two courses. Food was cold when we got it. Halfhearted apology and no adjustment to the check.
- you got to be kiddingtomayVIPDined on 4/19/2014what a joke- from the waiter to the menu- TOO MANY BETTER choices in Hoboken- hey if you are going to the bar I am sure that would be fine- but as a restaurant- LAUGHABLE
- SolidJoeyDined on 4/12/2014I was satisfied. The effort was there. There were some flaws but no major ones...generally a good meal. It is not an elite restaurant but it is absolutely adequate...I recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!CharlotteDined on 3/14/2014Easy to get reservations and they worked with us when we had to come late. We got the wasabi shrimp and lobster Mac for appetizers - both wonderfully tasty. For our entrees we got the skirt steak, grilled mahi mahi, cilantro crusted tuna and the scallops. We absolutely loved every dish, except for the cheesecake at the end. So dissappontingly small that we had to say something. The waitress gladly removed it from our bill and apologized. Except for that minor mishap, we were extremely impressed with brass rail. Will definitely return and highly recommend! YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Service, too priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The food was great, but nothing over the top. Basically your looking at high end bar food, with a decent wine list. The price was a bit higher then I was expecting, mostly because a simple skirt steak is nearly $30 and their pasta dishes will run you over $25. If it was more elegant food I'd be fine with it, but for the food their serving its a bit too high priced. With that said the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busguy commentsBusguyDined on 1/27/2014I had a lunchtime business meeting with a client. I found the Brass Rail to be clean and inviting. The food was excellent!! Most important, the music and other external noise was not overwhelming as is the case in so many similar restaurants. For that reason,. I would certainly consider coming back. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchJohnDined on 1/26/2014Went for brunch to the upstairs room, been there for dinner always good. Service was perfect there when you need the waiter and in general very attentive. Food was very good tasty had steak and poached eggs others had french toast which was very good. I think if you want something much better than a bar with the TV blaring you have to come to the Brass Rail.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/10/2014The upstairs dinner area was half full but the noise of voices bouncing off the walls were so loud my fiancé and I had to scream to each other to have a conversation. I have a gluten allergy that I inform server at the beginning. Than I mention what I am interested in and they either confirm its gluten free and/or check with the kitchen. I asked if the cilantro tuna was gluten free. I was told a few modifications that would have to be done to make it gluten free. The assured me the cilantro base was gluten free. What I was given was a plain tuna and when I asked they said yes its gluten free. So, they give it to me on the side. So wondered what happened there but let it go.The espresso tastes like watered coffee and they charge $5.
- The chicken is some if theOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/10/2014The chicken is some if the juiciest I've ever had, very well prepared. Really liked the dining area, but it does get loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ended up with a Tired Jaw for $32KirkRichardDined on 11/30/2013Great Ambience, service was there, but the food was a big let down. Striploin was so tough I gave up eating it half way due to jaw exhaustion. Server didn't notice, but I don't expect NYC Service in hometown of Hoboken so was not surprised. After eating it, my guess is ungraded striploin they are hand cutting at $3.50/lb. Had all the tell tale signs: end cut w/Inconsistent thickness and awful fat awfully fat tail. They don't list grades on menu so beware. If you are going to spend $32 get the filet. At least you are getting you are getting your money's worth at close to $10/lb wholesale. Instead of paying the same price for a $32 piece of meat that costs the restaurant $3.50lb and you can't chew.
- Thankful at ThanksgivingFuntime8712Dined on 11/28/2013My daughter, myself and a few close friends shared Thanksgiving after we served and worked with the Homeless Shelter in Hoboken...It was a great day all around. Helping people is the way to go and to top it off being served by our great waiter Rick who made the day even more special...He was sweet and fun...Good waiter...One of our little guests a two year old was in awe of him. We had a great time....Food was super...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodMDBayonneDined on 11/23/2013Went there with friends this Sat night. Our service was friendly and accommodating. The Calamari, Wasabi Shrimp, and Mussels for Apps - all very good. The pork chop, Skirt steak, Salmon, and chicken dish we ordered were cooked perfectly and tasted delish! Afterwards went down to bar which was hopping with a mix of old school and newer tunes by a DJ with actual turn tables! The music was great all night and had us going. Overall prices for drinks and dinner was market rate for area and in my mind worth it. I paid $5 for a parking validation ticket at bar and it didn't work which was disappointing - not sure if I was in wrong muni lot. In any case, I will definitely be back and highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great date night!DelishDishDined on 11/9/2013My boyfriend took me to The Brass Rail for a special date night. I had their filet mignon with root veggies and mashed potatoes- it was delicious! We had been here for brunch once before (our first date) and that was also very good. Their selection is great- there are many dishes I wish to try, and I always have a bit of trouble deciding what I want, and I think that is a great thing. Not an overwhelming menu, just a lot of great choices. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff were friendly androydDined on 11/2/2013The staff were friendly and very attentive. We did not feel rushed and the pace of dinner made it very relaxing as I was there with my wife and adult daughters. The seared tune was fantastic and can'r wait to go back to try the skirt steak. The pasta with the pesto sauce my wife had was outstanding. The portions were very generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmbeyonceDined on 9/27/2013Delicious skirt steak and were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2013Brass Rail is always my favorite for brunch... Great menu, delicious food - always enjoy my time here.. Highly recommended, as always.Special Features:
- Hoboken gemJohnDined on 8/23/2013Hoboken has many places most cater to the beer burgers and tv screens, great if that is all you want Brass Rail's upstairs dinning is an oasis of tranquility in a smart, relaxed atmosphere. Food was excellent, service was very good there when you need them, plus they have a good wine list. Can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Heard good things...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/18/2013I've been here for other meals besides brunch and thought those meals were good. This Brunch just didn't compare to the flavor of other brunch spots in Hoboken.
- Must-Go for Quality Food DowntownEricVIPDined on 8/17/2013Finding a decent bar, with service, and food is hard the farther downtown you get in Hoboken. The Brass rail is a great exception to the college bars and Irish pubs. Try the Skirt Steak and the mussels if you're into crumbled blue cheese. Service is great, however, ask for seating upstairs if you want a quiet night. Downstairs is a lively, upscale bar crowd and outdoor seating in the summer.Special Features:
- No Ice PleaseIchigoDined on 8/1/2013If it wasn't for the waiter that spilled 2/3 of the ice on the table the night would have been perfect. Other than that, food was great, the waiter apologized and the dessert was the best.Special Features:
- Fun and ClassyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2013I love going to this restaurant with my girl friends to catch up. It is not too loud, and the food is delicious! I would also recommend this restaurant for a romantic dinner or a place to first meet on a date. The cocktails and appetizers are good too!Special Features:
- Must get the muscles!!!PattyGDined on 7/25/2013Cane here mistakenly thinking that Hoboken Restaurant week was in effect. Decided to stay anyway and boooyyy was that a great idea! Order the muscles, truffle meatballs and Nutella creme creme brûlée off of their Prie Fixe menu. The food was great as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/9/2013Classic contemporary american, a little but overpriced but good location And good food qualitySpecial Features:
- It was great!JCroDined on 7/3/2013We had an excellent dining experience. The staff was so friendly and attentive, the decor and atmosphere made for a ambiant mood and the food was delicious!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningShaunDined on 5/26/2013Upstairs at the Brass Rail is still the most romantic dinner spot in Hoboken (and the best and most innovative food too). I've been going to the Brass Rail since the mid 1980s and, although there have been changes (giant fire, changes in ownership, chefs etc), it has maintained its status as the best restaurant in Hoboken. I'd recommend upstairs -- downstairs is noisy and crazy. When you climb the beautiful circular stair in the back, however, you enter a different place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, esp. seafood.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/19/2013Excellent food, esp. seafood. Very pleasant service. Only weak spot was special dessert tart.Special Features:
- Far too loud. We went withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2013Far too loud. We went with fathers who could not take the stairs to the second floor and almost lost our voices trying to talk to one another because it was so loud.
- They have a great menu withLodesVIPDined on 3/7/2013They have a great menu with a broad variety. My daughter who is vegetarian can find something as well has my son who will eat anything. We have been here twice and both times they have been very accommodating .Special Features:
- Very pleased with the Brass Rail!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013My group had a very enjoyable time! Everyone was pleased with their meals and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Ate at the Brass Rail forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013Ate at the Brass Rail for Valentine's Day. The menu was prix fixe and a tad pricey, but the appetizers and entrées were absolutely incredible, with a good variety of options. None of the dessert options were ones that we were excited about, but very good nonetheless. Very attentive and friendly staff, good ambiance, and a very positive experience overall.Special Features:
- great for a date!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013I took my wife here for Valentine's Day. She loved it. The food and service were outstanding. The restaurant was clean and nice. There is a bar below and a formal dining area upstairs. Eat up stairs if you want a nice quiet dinner. The service staff are polite and helpful. We had a 3 course Prix-Fixe meal. It was worth every penny! 1. Appetizer = Great. 2. Entree = Great 3. Dessert = Great!Special Features: