The Brass Rail - Locust Valley
107 Forest Avenue
Locust Valley, NY 11560Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Brass Rail - Locust Valley
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thebrassraillocustvalley.com/
- Phone: 5167239103
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Kent Monkan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Brass Rail - Locust Valley
We give people great food, selections, drinks and service in a casual atmosphere at a reasonable priceContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGastro Pub
The Brass Rail - Locust Valley - Best Restaurants in Locust Valley ›
The Brass Rail - Locust Valley reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (36)great for lunch (27)great for brunch (23)special occasion (23)vibrant bar scene (22)romantic (19)good for groups (16)hot spot (14)notable wine list (11)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Slow, unattentive serviceCvogelfoodieVIPDined on 8/27/2014We literally were the first and only customers in the restaurant and still it took over an hour to get our meal (we only irdered appetizers and burger!) with no concern or look from the careless waiter. It happened here the time before and this was their second chance, same results: service terrible!!!!!Special Features:
- Excellent as usualSMSEIDDined on 8/24/2014We've been to this restaurant several times. The food is always delicious and very interesting. The prices are fair. The services is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GloriaVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was another really good experience, and wow that crab cake is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ConsistantBirthdayDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I ate here for dinner the other night. Our soups were wonderful. However when the main course came I'm afraid only one of the dishes were good. I had the Spinach and Feta Hamburger and that was very good, However, my wife ordered the Seabass and that meal was way too salty and was full of small bones. I mean dozens of bones. That meal should have never left the kitchen! Unfortunately after that we felt the experience was greatly diminished. We will not return.
- Consistent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014Large menu with both small and large plate choices. Very good food that is consistently delicious time after time. Only problem was I ordered an entree-sized small plate and it looked like the same sized portion as the regular small plate but double the price! That was disappointing because the octopus I ordered was delicious. The noise level is high and because it's such a small restaurant, reservations on the weekends are a bit difficult. But, a great neighbor gem indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An oasisTravellerVIPDined on 8/9/2014As soon as you step into the brass rail you are greeted by a friendly host or hostess. Reservations are honored within a reasonable time. Service and food are always very very good. We love going there.Special Features:
- saturday night dinnerLoisDined on 8/9/2014My companion and I both thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. The food was excellent and the service was personal and considerate. We certainly will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatBertaVIPDined on 8/8/2014One of my favorites. Staff and chef very accommodating to any changes in the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent all aroundedie95Dined on 8/8/2014We are repeat customers to this restaurant. Delicious sole muenier and red snapper dishes this time. Only complaint was the scallop dish which had exquisite flavor, was beautifully prepared, but delivered only two scallops for a rather hefty price. Definitely should be three scallops on this appetizer for the price.Special Features:
- nscmdVIPDined on 7/26/2014Very Very Very Noisy. Food was excellent and service was outstanding. Great neighborhood find...but the noise level was very loud.Special Features:
- Great foodkendigramDined on 7/20/2014This was our second time eating at The Brass Rail and we were not disappointed. The food is really great, as is the service.Special Features:
- Great Food!IzzypalDined on 7/18/2014Four of us had dinner, everything was delicious from our appetizers to our dessert. The raw oysters were excellent - one of the best I've had anywhere. Bronzino,veal chop, and steak were all excellent. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Locust Valley121HenryDined on 7/18/2014Food looks better on menu. Attentive waiters. Think bar menu and small plates the best ( what we had ). Would like to try brunch. Popular with local gentry and wannabesSpecial Features:
- ShhhhCrallo13VIPDined on 7/13/2014It's hard enough to get a reservation here without me telling everyone how amazing the good is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A staple iniur familyBanzerDined on 7/10/2014Everyone is always happy with the delicious food! Even my very picky daughter! We frequent for every special and casual dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodphilly651VIPDined on 7/5/2014This is the best restaurant in the area. Great food and service at reasonable prices. It is always our first choice.Special Features:
- Loved it once again!HeshVIPDined on 7/4/2014It never matters what you order be it a main, a hamburger or a small plate- it's always great... my favorite go to place for an excellent meal. We love the food,drinks and staff!Special Features:
- A Great Find - A Brass RingGIgiDined on 6/23/2014Although this restaurant's been around for a while and I live only a couple of miles from it, this was my first time dining there. Having looked at the menu previously, there seemed nothing exciting gastronomically speaking. Was I wrong! The Iceberg Wedge with Blue Cheese and vinaigrette dressing was crisp and tasty. The Grilled Chicken Club with fontina, bacon and pesto mayonnaise was plentiful and delicious. Not to mention the homemade sweet potato fries which were flavorful and not greasy. The decor is rich with lots of wood and candlelit tables. Our table was a bit close to the next table but that would be my only gripe with this bistro. I will definitely be back to try more from this delicious menu!Special Features:
- Very NicepmnyVIPDined on 6/15/2014HAve not been here for a while. Was glad i came with my family on fathers day. Food and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014Took some family for Brunch and everyone loved it! You can order from the brunch menu or the regular menu and every single thing we ordered was excellent! Great atmosphere, a local gem!Special Features:
- A Superb Dining Experience...PGD144DiningOutDined on 6/13/2014The Brass Rail, in Locust Valley, is a consistently excellent dining establishment...for brunch, lunch or dinner. This week we dined there twice, once on Friday, June 13, and just yesterday, Father's Day. The venison special on Friday was superbly prepared and a wonderful meal...all of us had a great meal. The Brass Rail is visited by all age groups, not only for it's fine food, but also for the classy and lively bar crowd. It's become our first choice when dining out. We are always pleased, as are our guests! I might add, that the serving staff is most exceptional. They are pleasant, efficient and most attentive. I also appreciate their suggestions about offerings and their knowledge of the chef's preparation of specialties.Special Features:
- Worth RepeatingCitydinerDined on 6/11/2014Although I've been to The Brass Rail a few times, the fabulous food keeps calling me back over and over. By fabulous food I mean unique presentations of vanilla infused mashed potatoes, tender Chilean Sea Bass, and peppercorn encrusted Venison. We invited friends to The Brass Rail recently and the wife lamented the fact that this restaurant isn't close enough to their home. The husband remarked, for this food - I'll drive a few extra miles! Haven't even mentioned the service which is spectacular. The waitstaff is not overbearing, but manages to anticipate your every need. If you haven't eaten at The Brass Rail, think about reserving soon; and if you have - it's definitely worth repeating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodannierDined on 6/8/2014The brass rail is an excellent neighborhood restaurant. The service is friendly and professional. The food is quite good and presented well. The decor is warm and pubby.Special Features:
- Nice local spot.MaraDined on 6/7/2014Nice looking place, with good food and service. Everything we had was good and presented beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a great local spotNyMonnieVIPDined on 6/6/2014Always great consistent food in a festive environment Love it!!Special Features:
- Great find!kendigramDined on 5/24/2014Never ate here before but so glad we found it. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. Will go again to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Brass is a GemCaesarsallyDined on 5/24/2014Delectable food at this neighborhood gem with attentive service and a guaranteed lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TishDined on 5/20/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant, as the food was delicious, and the service was great.Special Features:
- Late Sunday LunchLulusMamaDined on 5/18/2014We had a 2 pm reservation, and we were there at 1:30, no problem at all. We were seated right away. Our party of 6 included two children. They were welcomed, spoken to and treated wonderfully, and when my oldest (10 yrs old) asked for a recommendation between waffles and pancakes, our server was animated and told her how amazing the waffles are. He was right. We ordered a variety of dishes- waffles, oysters , lobster bisque, steak, sandwiches.... Everything fresh, presented wonderfully, and delicious. Very friendly and attentive staff. This was our first time here, we will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodLIFood9VIPDined on 5/17/2014We have been there many times and always enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findSMSEIDDined on 5/17/2014Happened to be in the Locust Valley area and went there on a recommendation. Terrific American menu - fish. Burgers, etc. Very reasonable prices. Delicious food. Fantastic service. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A definite!!!BertaVIPDined on 5/16/2014One of my favorite restaurants. Great food and always great specials. Never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousPastapickerDined on 5/11/2014This is my 4th time back and I have to say the food is delicious! The menu is extensive and the service is great! What I love most is the salmon prepared the original way blackened. I have ordered this dish all 4 times and it never disappoints! Thank you for always seating us at the table by the fireplace this is the coziest spot! Especially in the winter when its cold. The tables by the bar are fine as long as the weather is warm. I don't care for a meal where I am exposed to a draft. The bar area is lively and the locals love it! I travel a distance to dine here and love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No SecretSAABC14Dined on 5/7/2014TBR really get's it and here's their secret formula: Attention to details, consistent outstanding food, reasonable prices, a great staff and one of the best looking bars on the North Shore. From a Cubano Sandwich to Steak au Poivre it's always spot on. My wife and I ordered a special Monk Fish w/Risotto and it was off the hook. The secret is out, contact open table asap!Special Features:
- The following 240 reviews are from the The Brass Rail - Locust Valley reviews archive.
- A Happy SurprisedonnicadinerDined on 4/30/2014I have been driving by this restaurant for years and finally decided to try it for Restaurant Week. It was a torrential downpour but my husband and I braved the elements and were so happy we did. The ambience is our kind of place. elegant , yet with touches of contemporary. Not too big, not too small with the noise level at a pleasant hum. The wait staff was friendly and attentive and the food was very very good. I had monkfish which you don't see on too many menus and it was terrific. Also has a great bar area which we will have to visit another time. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in areaphilly651VIPDined on 4/29/2014The Brass Rail is consistantly the best restaurant in the area. The food is always outstanding. Always interesting specials. Professional service. I would dine there more often, but obviously there are many people who agree with me because getting a reservation on the weekend can be difficult. My restaurant of choice.Special Features:
- zumbaloveVIPDined on 4/21/2014One of our favorite restaurants. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseBMicheleDined on 4/12/2014This was our first time there, chose this from Zagat, no wonder it's listed. We had a 7pm res and the noise level was moderate but by the time 830 rolled around, the level really picked up. Food was different from most menus, which is what we were looking for. From apps and drinks to main course and dessert, all was SPOT ON! Service was outstanding, will def go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome for Sat LunchGAR777Dined on 4/5/2014Went for lunch on a recent Saturday. Full dinner menu offered (no separate breakfast/brunch menu). Included sandwiches, salads, and "light bite" small plate items, as well as full dinner entrees. We were the only ones in the place and got great service. Food was FANTASTIC! Not a bad dish on the table (and we're picky). Highly recommended: short-rib quesadilla, rock shrimp, lamp chops, green beans, asparagus, ceasar salad, shoestring fries. My son had the reasonably-priced filet mignon ($33) and ate it all before I could try it. I wouldn't believe this review if I hadn't been there myself. To be honest, we have been there on previous occasions when it was more busy and it wasn't as consistently great but this time it was PERFECT!Special Features:
- Excellent choiceBertaVIPDined on 4/1/2014We keep going back because of the great choices, great service and outstanding food. From a pork chop. to a burger, we always enjoy our dinner and always have a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.