The Brass Rail - Locust Valley
107 Forest Avenue
Locust Valley, NY 11560Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Brass Rail - Locust Valley
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thebrassraillocustvalley.com/
- Phone: (516) 723-9103
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Kent Monkan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Brass Rail - Locust Valley
We give people great food, selections, drinks and service in a casual atmosphere at a reasonable priceContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGastro Pub
The Brass Rail - Locust Valley - Best Restaurants in Locust Valley ›
The Brass Rail - Locust Valley reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (48)vibrant bar scene (23)great for lunch (23)special occasion (21)good for groups (21)romantic (16)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)great for brunch (11)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- PGD144DiningOutDined on 11/19/2014We visit the Brass Rail often, not only for a fine dining experience but for your wonderful wait staff. We are never disappointed and it is our go to place in Locust Valley!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovgoodfoodDined on 11/18/2014brass rail has great small plates, you can order a few and share. Food is always good, very consistant. Good bar but overflows into the eating area, which can get a little tight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This should have been an amazing experience!JessVIPDined on 11/15/2014The food should have been amazing but after ordering a perfectly seared tuna over soba noodles, baby bok choy and mushrooms...the bok choy had not been properly washed and the noodles were gritty. So disappointing! The tuna was fantastic but this spolied my whole meal. Mistakes happen but this seems fairly amateur for such a well-regarded restaurant.
- Great food!!drjeff77Dined on 11/9/2014Went for Sunday brunch and ended up ordering from restaurant week fixed price menu. Overall food was terrific and service slow as they seemed to be short staffed for the day? Salads were very fresh and tasty and entrees superb- burgers were very good....waitress recommended pumpkin cheesecake for dessert and it was amazing!! Looks like they have a nice, busy bar scene as well. Definitely worth a visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chef & cozy atmosphere!GraceDined on 11/7/2014I'm so glad for restaurant week because it brought me here to the brass rail. It was perfect for a date night. The food was amazing. My bf got butternut squash soup that was not too creamy; the flavors were just right. My tre colore salad had pears in it that tastes divine. They were soaked in a marinade of maybe red wine? Along with the candied walnuts the salad was delicious. I don't even like blue cheese so I took the big pieces out and I was still able to fully enjoy the salad. My lamb shank was so tender that the pieces would fall right off the bone. The parsnip purée and escarole paired so nicely with it. I don't know what sauce they used but it was tasty. The pumpkin cheesecake was so yummy! I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week at Brass RailMontyVIPDined on 11/5/2014We have always enjoyed the food at the Brass Rail, certainly one of the best restaurants in the area. The 3 course menu was quite inventive and played to a packed house with many couples sharing each of their different courses with the other. Noisy when crowded but worth the trouble.Special Features:
- Disappointed this visitSignNDineVIPDined on 11/4/2014We generally like this restaurant. Great menu and generally good food, well prepared and well served with good portion size. The other night i ordered the special for Tuesday, Lasagna---it was a huge portion, mushy and not tasty.Special Features:
- Bayville40Dined on 11/2/2014The evening outside was windy and cold. The velvet curtain did nothing to prevent the cold from entering. My wife and I Had to eat with our jackets on. The staff was inexperienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cut aboveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2014The Brass Rail outdid itself. Despite being restaurant week, which usually brings out a very restricted menu and lackluster mass preparation of those dishes, my wife, 7 year old son and I had an outstanding dinner experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Absolutely one of the best meals. Our waiter, Will, was extremely helpful and friendly - making us feel like we were his most important table. All of his recommendations were UNDER sold - as dinner was absolutely amazing! Grilled Swordfish, lobster mac and cheese - better than I've had anywhere.Special Features:
- Excellent staffEvanLDined on 11/1/2014Hostesses, waiters, bartenders, chef.. All really care that you get a terrific experience. So nice to see a group of relatively young people who really want to do their jobs well. The food is realibly excellent every time.Special Features:
- birthdayBirthdaygirlDined on 10/14/2014Love the small ;plates and salads,caring service and bar menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LunchboopDined on 10/14/2014I had dinner here once before and the food and service was very good. The dinner crowd is louder than the lunch group. At lunch, the restaurant was mostly empty. We celebrated my sister's birthday at lunch. The service was outstanding. My niece was not feeling well and the waiter offered her something to calm her stomach. Above and beyond I thought. The lobster bisque was delicious and the crab cake was very good as well. Everyone else enjoyed their choices. I would absolutely return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerrytptDined on 10/9/2014Have been coming here since it opened and have NEVER been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!lovgoodfoodDined on 10/1/2014dinner was excellent, love all the small plates, great for sharing.Special Features:
- My new favorite restaurant.GreatfoodDined on 9/23/2014I was so impressed with the Brass Rail , from the excellent food to the awesome wait staff!!! I can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Always Excellentlen126VIPDined on 9/22/2014Continues to be an excellent dining choice. Great choice from specials to small plates. Superb fish preparations. Comfortable surroundings and a nice bar crowd early on a Monday evening.
- Disappointing this timeNyMonnieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Usually so great- tonight was disappointing. Service was spotty at best. Food was served cold and server never bothered to inquire about our meal. Will try again though since it's usually spot on.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SuzieVIPDined on 9/5/2014Had a 69th birthday lunch here with my sisters. Food and service was great! Will be back!Special Features:
- Slow, unattentive serviceCvogelfoodieVIPDined on 8/27/2014We literally were the first and only customers in the restaurant and still it took over an hour to get our meal (we only irdered appetizers and burger!) with no concern or look from the careless waiter. It happened here the time before and this was their second chance, same results: service terrible!!!!!Special Features:
- Excellent as usualSMSEIDDined on 8/24/2014We've been to this restaurant several times. The food is always delicious and very interesting. The prices are fair. The services is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GloriaVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was another really good experience, and wow that crab cake is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ConsistantBirthdayDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I ate here for dinner the other night. Our soups were wonderful. However when the main course came I'm afraid only one of the dishes were good. I had the Spinach and Feta Hamburger and that was very good, However, my wife ordered the Seabass and that meal was way too salty and was full of small bones. I mean dozens of bones. That meal should have never left the kitchen! Unfortunately after that we felt the experience was greatly diminished. We will not return.
- Consistent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014Large menu with both small and large plate choices. Very good food that is consistently delicious time after time. Only problem was I ordered an entree-sized small plate and it looked like the same sized portion as the regular small plate but double the price! That was disappointing because the octopus I ordered was delicious. The noise level is high and because it's such a small restaurant, reservations on the weekends are a bit difficult. But, a great neighbor gem indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An oasisTravellerVIPDined on 8/9/2014As soon as you step into the brass rail you are greeted by a friendly host or hostess. Reservations are honored within a reasonable time. Service and food are always very very good. We love going there.Special Features:
- saturday night dinnerLoisVIPDined on 8/9/2014My companion and I both thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. The food was excellent and the service was personal and considerate. We certainly will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatBertaVIPDined on 8/8/2014One of my favorites. Staff and chef very accommodating to any changes in the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent all aroundedie95Dined on 8/8/2014We are repeat customers to this restaurant. Delicious sole muenier and red snapper dishes this time. Only complaint was the scallop dish which had exquisite flavor, was beautifully prepared, but delivered only two scallops for a rather hefty price. Definitely should be three scallops on this appetizer for the price.Special Features:
- The following 266 reviews are from the The Brass Rail - Locust Valley reviews archive.
- nscmdVIPDined on 7/26/2014Very Very Very Noisy. Food was excellent and service was outstanding. Great neighborhood find...but the noise level was very loud.Special Features:
- Great foodkendigramVIPDined on 7/20/2014This was our second time eating at The Brass Rail and we were not disappointed. The food is really great, as is the service.Special Features:
- Great Food!IzzypalDined on 7/18/2014Four of us had dinner, everything was delicious from our appetizers to our dessert. The raw oysters were excellent - one of the best I've had anywhere. Bronzino,veal chop, and steak were all excellent. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Locust Valley121HenryDined on 7/18/2014Food looks better on menu. Attentive waiters. Think bar menu and small plates the best ( what we had ). Would like to try brunch. Popular with local gentry and wannabesSpecial Features:
- ShhhhCrallo13VIPDined on 7/13/2014It's hard enough to get a reservation here without me telling everyone how amazing the good is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A staple iniur familyBanzerDined on 7/10/2014Everyone is always happy with the delicious food! Even my very picky daughter! We frequent for every special and casual dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodphilly651VIPDined on 7/5/2014This is the best restaurant in the area. Great food and service at reasonable prices. It is always our first choice.Special Features:
- Loved it once again!HeshVIPDined on 7/4/2014It never matters what you order be it a main, a hamburger or a small plate- it's always great... my favorite go to place for an excellent meal. We love the food,drinks and staff!Special Features:
- A Great Find - A Brass RingGIgiDined on 6/23/2014Although this restaurant's been around for a while and I live only a couple of miles from it, this was my first time dining there. Having looked at the menu previously, there seemed nothing exciting gastronomically speaking. Was I wrong! The Iceberg Wedge with Blue Cheese and vinaigrette dressing was crisp and tasty. The Grilled Chicken Club with fontina, bacon and pesto mayonnaise was plentiful and delicious. Not to mention the homemade sweet potato fries which were flavorful and not greasy. The decor is rich with lots of wood and candlelit tables. Our table was a bit close to the next table but that would be my only gripe with this bistro. I will definitely be back to try more from this delicious menu!Special Features:
- Very NicepmnyVIPDined on 6/15/2014HAve not been here for a while. Was glad i came with my family on fathers day. Food and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014Took some family for Brunch and everyone loved it! You can order from the brunch menu or the regular menu and every single thing we ordered was excellent! Great atmosphere, a local gem!Special Features:
- A Superb Dining Experience...PGD144DiningOutDined on 6/13/2014The Brass Rail, in Locust Valley, is a consistently excellent dining establishment...for brunch, lunch or dinner. This week we dined there twice, once on Friday, June 13, and just yesterday, Father's Day. The venison special on Friday was superbly prepared and a wonderful meal...all of us had a great meal. The Brass Rail is visited by all age groups, not only for it's fine food, but also for the classy and lively bar crowd. It's become our first choice when dining out. We are always pleased, as are our guests! I might add, that the serving staff is most exceptional. They are pleasant, efficient and most attentive. I also appreciate their suggestions about offerings and their knowledge of the chef's preparation of specialties.Special Features: