The Boon Fly Cafe - The Carneros Inn
4048 Sonoma Highway
Napa, CA 94559Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Boon Fly Cafe - The Carneros Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theboonflycafe.com/
- Phone: 7072994870x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 7:00am - 3:00pm
Reservations are not accepted for Breakfast/Brunch/Lunch, but are recommended for Dinner Service
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Steven Tevere
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Boon Fly Cafe - The Carneros Inn
Named for a Carneros pioneer who planted orchards and vineyards in the mid-1800s, the lively Boon Fly Café offers an ideal gathering place for friends and families. The ultimate in comfort foods, open early morning for a hearty breakfast and homemade bakery items - including our signature Boon Fly donuts - the Café also offers tasty lunches and a wide variety of everyone's favorite modern Americana dinners. All of our menus feature modern rustic cuisine based on the agricultural heritage of the region. While you’re building up your appetite, you are invited to mingle with other visitors, or enthusiasts, at our wine bar while comparing Carneros selections with those of other regions. Otherwise you’re always welcome to just wile away a bit of the afternoon in comfortable surroundings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
The Boon Fly Cafe - The Carneros Inn - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
The Boon Fly Cafe - The Carneros Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)great for brunch (20)neighborhood gem (20)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (11)good for groups (10)hot spot (7)special occasion (6)romantic (4)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Fried chicken dinner - 5 pieces!CoudieDined on 10/10/2014Interesting farm to table menu with fresh vegetables the feature and lots of chicken . Service was a bit rushed for a dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014First time experience and was with pleased with hospitality, service and overall dining experience and would go back when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RossDined on 9/27/2014We chose the boon fly over its big sister restaurant for the casual atmosphere and were very glad we did. Food was terrific and the service top notch. The generous Cocktails were perfectly made and served well chilled.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT...JUST EXCELLENTbbunsDined on 9/20/2014We loved the service and the food... and the atmosphere..Special Features:
- Kobe Burgers & Bubbly!blueingreenVIPDined on 9/18/2014We loved Boon Fly so much we came 3 times in 5 days--twice for dinner; once for breakfast. Danielle was our server both nights and she was a delight. We love the Kobe Beef Burgers, the onion rings, the fries... and it all goes so well with a bottle of bubbly. Also loved the Green Eggs and Ham (and freshly made donuts) for breakfast on our way out of town. Already can't wait for our next trip--we'll never miss an opportunity to visit Boon Fly if we're anywhere in the area.Special Features:
- Amazing PlaceDrt27Dined on 9/18/2014So happy we found this gem. The service was wonderful, very attentive but not over done. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried ChickenQBwashereVIPDined on 9/16/2014Save room, skip appetizers or salad, go easy on bread & mashers (yummy) side dish & share the wing w/ur companion then enjoy crunchy, tasty goodness to the max!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemCindyDined on 9/12/2014This was an unexpected find. Excellent food. Very nice staff and a funky atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinner in SonomaMiswuVIPDined on 9/6/2014First time visit to the Boon Fly Cafe. Great service and delicious comfort food. Good service and ambience. Will return in the near future.Special Features:
- Very good casual spotCharVIPDined on 8/16/2014good flatbreads, hamburgers ,etc. with excellent service, moderately priced. We return periodically.Special Features:
- Great casual diningKackDined on 8/4/2014Great casual dining with quality food. Food is consistently good & service follows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!Partyof5Dined on 8/4/2014Went to The Boon Fly with my 8 year old for an early supper. It was child friendly for a well behaved child, used to dining in resturants. and the foods was wonderful. We both had the fried chicken. Honestly, best I have ever had, and this southern girl has had some pretty good fried chicken! The service was kind and efficient. Definitely, be sure to have a reservation. We did see people turned away at the door without one. It was a perfect evening, and swinging on the front porch was the icing on the cake.WeingartSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday in Fried Chicken Heaven!CB2013Dined on 8/2/2014If you want great food and great service, try the Boon Fly Café. This was the 2nd year in a row that I celebrated my birthday at this hotspot and I was not disappointed. My entire table ordered the Fried Chicken with cornbread and mac n' cheese. What a delicious way to celebrate. Our server was attentive and very friendly. She brought out some mini donuts with chocolate sauce with a candle. Boon Fly will always be on my must visit list when I come to Napa. What a wonderful birthday part II!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to its nameSUdinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014Not what you'd expect in a high end resort but there literally were flies buzzing around our dinner. When we arrived there was water on the seat- turns out I was seated under the air conditioner which dropped on my head during dinner. Poor wine suggestions. The server asked if we wanted pepper for our salads and never returned. Food was good however.
- Consistent PerformerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/23/2014This restaurant has consistently been well above average in all regards for many years. While other iconic places have fallen into the rut of mediocrity, Boonfly has not. Good variety, daily specials, good wine list, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014The food was excellent and the service was very attentive. We will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Reliable as everMrsPDined on 7/11/2014We come to Boon Fly several times a year and it never disappoints. The menu doesn't change much...they know what they do well and stick to it. Napa locals frequent the place, which I always think is a good sign, and the atmosphere is casual and relaxed. The staff are friendly and comfortable––I have noticed that they stick around for years, which is another good sign. According to my husband, the fried chicken is almost as good as his Grandmother's and that, trust me, is the highest possible praise. But be warned, the serving is huge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't say enough positive stuff!burrphilDined on 7/9/2014From the warm greeting to the finishing spoonful of housemade ice cream, we felt privileged to have experienced such a splendid dinner. We shared all items: soup of the day, field salad, pea/carrot/saffron ravioli, flatbread of the day and dessert. It would be difficult to have wanted more on all counts: kitchen, presentation, service. Danielle, our waiter, was outstanding and provided a nice touch of humor, as well. We're already trying to figure out a time for returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 224 reviews are from the The Boon Fly Cafe - The Carneros Inn reviews archive.
- Avoid the HalibutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014The Boon-Fly Cafe was excellent, with the exception of the portion size of the Halibut. We had taken a very good friend and his wife out to celebrate his birthday. I ordered the coffee rubbed sirloin, it too was a small portion, but it loomed large compared to the Halibut he ordered. We started ther meal with the artichoke dip and the pizza Margherita flatbread. The flatbread was fantastic. The artichoke dip was very good. In general, the food and service were both good. I don't understand how the Halibut was approved by the kitchen staff as being a "portion"Special Features:
- Yum!ktmcdavisDined on 6/14/2014Our experience was great! It was like the stars aligned: I had seen it listed on several services as great food AND kid friendly and had tried unsuccessfully for days before our trip to get a reservation; then that afternoon we got a spot. We went, the food was spot on, the chocolate cake was the best ever, and the donuts (made on premises) were dee-lish. My only concern was the service was on the slow side, but that could be the difference in cultures (Bay Area vs Napa) or the fact that I am hyper sensitive now that I am dining with children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphere, ordinary food.wboyerDined on 6/13/2014Boon Fly Cafe is a sweet little spot just outside the heart of Napa. I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere—after a day of wine tasting, it was casual, approachable and low-key. However, the food was not as enjoyable as expected. In their defense, they're better known for brunch (which is why our favorite part of the meal was the donuts we had for dessert). We ordered the scallop/shrimp special which was flavorful and fun, but nothing note worthy, and the sirloin steak, which unfortunately was hard to enjoy because it came out cold :(. We would definitely go back, but it's a place where you should go for what they're known for. Nothing outside the box.Special Features:
- Will not go backdinerVIPDined on 6/8/2014I used to like this place, but it has gone downhill (but the price went up). The service is horrible. Even though our waitress was trying hard, there was enough waitress (well, there was only one). The cocktail that I ordered had a huge greasy finger print with flour dust. The risotto was not "risotto" - it was stewed rice. Rice all dissolved, which I would never call it risotto. No one is checking the quality of food or service there. My friend had fried chicken, which was good, so for those who want to pay $$$ for fried food, this would be a good place to go.
- Just ok for dinnerBayAreaCaliGirlVIPDined on 5/31/2014Didn't enjoy my burger for dinner as much as I enjoy my meals when I go there for brunch. I requested medium well (pink center, no blood), but it came back under-cooked and bun was soaked. 6 year old didn't like her pasta with butter & cheese. We'll stick to brunch/lunch which is what they do best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpretentious and DeliciousPaulKDined on 5/26/2014A friend recommended Boon Fly for brunch, which was amazing, and on this last visit to Artesa, just down the road, we tried it for dinner. The food is delicious - fish cooked just perfectly and the freshest ingredients. I've been meaning to try the more expensive Farm, but Boon Fly seems like such a good deal, I'd more likely return there. And the staff is really friendly and casual. After a day of wine-tasting, which can often be pretty damn pretentious, Boon Fly is the perfect antidote - just good food and casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okJojobillyVIPDined on 5/18/2014The menu is uninspired for dinner This could be a good place for lunch or breakfast Even the drinks were boring However the fried chicken dinner looked great. And it was huge portion Unless we are staying at Carnero Inn again we won't go back. But it is very cool inside. Interesting architecture The dinner menu needs helpSpecial Features:
- Average at BestTimCVIPDined on 4/21/2014Food was average at best but overpriced. We won't be returning.
- Out of date beerTammiwithanIDined on 4/15/2014Food was pretty good but they brought us a beer that was 4 months out of date. The date was clearly printed on the bottle so it wasn't hard to read. I wonder if the food was out if date as well.Special Features:
- The Place We ChooseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014I'm not sure how many years Boon Fly has been open, but my family and I have been going there for years. We're locals, Napa Natives, and obviously have a wealth of excellent restaurants to choose from. We return time and time again at any opportunity - special occasion, cheese burger craving, friends in town, etc. The food is excellent, cocktails divine, and service top-notch. Gregory Johnson knows his stuff and he and his staff shine.Special Features:
- For comfort food fanssk8ladyVIPDined on 3/23/2014Shared a huge plate of fried chicken with my DH, side of mashed potatoes. I'm not a big comfort food fan but it was truly delicious! A little heavier than southern fried, but moist and tasty. Had donuts for dessert with Valrhona dipping chocolate... Mmmmm. Doesn't look like much on the outside but it's clearly planned that way, since the interior is spacious and modern. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Good comfort and great serviceHelenDined on 2/17/2014The server is very friendly, great smile and stopped by few times to check how we liked the foods and refilled our drinks. The foods are good. Highly recommend their truffle flies and smoked salmon flat bread. The fried chicken is a lil dry and they should use black meat.Special Features:
- Fun and FriendlyDineroutDined on 2/1/2014The restaurant is a fun and friendly environment. Staff were polite and timely and the food was great. It is a terrific place for good food in a casual setting.
- Service with a smileOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2014We have dined at Boon Fly many times and always are greeted with a friendly smile and warm atmosphere from the entire staff. The food has never been a disappointment and presentation is a delight. Will keep this on our list of favorite places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried ChickenRPicDined on 1/17/2014That's all you need to know.....oh, and the warm arugula salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to Be Missed!MomLovesFoodVIPDined on 1/12/2014This is a favorite dining spot of ours when we visit the Napa Valley. We've enjoyed breakfasts, lunches & dinners over the many times we've bee here. The fried chicken is simply not to be missed! (You can even enjoy it with waffles for breakfast!) Their sandwiches are wonderful as are the salads, flatbreads and, well, everything is delicious! Breakfast has something for everyone but you can't miss the homemade cake donuts dusted in cinnamon sugar. They come to the table hot & irresistible! They have daily specials as well - you will have a hard time deciding what to have so you'll have to come back to try something else! The atmosphere is delightful - like an upscale barn! Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small and in the country withRickDined on 1/1/2014Small and in the country with good food. The whole family enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/23/2013We had a reservation for dinner and the food was amazing! The staff was friendly and fun as well. I would highly recommend this restaurant! Wow!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!IceGypCDined on 12/19/2013Service, food, friendly and ambience was WONDERFUL. The staff is really amazing! Love the bartender!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not fancy, but good.EngleVIPDined on 12/13/2013Loved the flatbread and truffle fries. Down home vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dress WarmNapamelVIPDined on 12/7/2013We live in Napa and enjoy this local style restaurant. The menu is simple and very short. Being winter it is important to dress warmly since the ceiling are very high and is hard to keep warm.Special Features:
- Great and reasonable spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/29/2013Not too exciting a location, but easy to get to on the way home from Napa or Sonoma to the Bay Area. Limited, but good menu. Great flatbreads. The special Braised Beef was outstanding. And remember to save room for the deserts.I would recommend this to a friend.