The Bombay Bistro
427 Springfield Ave.
Summit, NJ 07901Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
The Bombay Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebombaybistro.net/
- Phone: 9089180330x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Indian
- Executive Chef: Collin Crasto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Let The Bombay Bistro create a memorable experience for you and your guests without even setting your foot in the kitchen. Choose through a wide array of carefully picked menu sets and push play!!
- Cross Street: Maple
- Public Transit: NJ Transit Morristown and Gladstone train lines stop at Summit Station. Five minute walk to restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Free 1 hour parking available till 6 pm. Evenings and Sundays free parking available. Rear access to restaurant from parking lot. Parking Lot No.2 is located on DeForest Avenue.
A word from The Bombay Bistro
The Bombay Bistro, formerly known as Dabbawalla, in its newer and slicker avatar, serves up a wide array of classic delights with a contemporary twist to the traditional Indian flavors. Expressed best through the evolution of its multicultural food, service and ambiance, one cannot miss out on the warmth and buoyancy of the Indian spirit at The Bombay Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Bombay Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (9)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- DisappointedFoodGeekDined on 10/18/2014Overall i was disappointed with the food . If you want good , authentic Indian Food in mid-NJ better to take a short drive to Edison. Whist the staff were friendly and helpful , the noise din in the room was such that you could not easily converse , the appetizers were OK the entrees were bland .
- Excellent food, value for moneygoodfoodloverDined on 10/11/2014This was our first time dining at Bombay Bistro and we invited friends. To our joy, had a great time. Food was excellent, service was timely and staff was very courteous. We ordered a lot of food thinking the portions at specialty restaurants are usually small but at Bombay Bistro that was not the case! Infact we had plenty to take home. We live in Summit and this is easily one of the best restaurants in the area. It does get a bit noisy so if you are in for private or romantic dining, choose a week day instead of weekend!Special Features:
- Ok Experienceluv2dineDined on 10/11/2014We just moved to Summit and love the town! We made rsvp (for two) 1 week in advance. When we arrived a table was not ready for us and waited approx. 10-15 min. to be seated. They tried to seat us in the middle of the restaurant. (I specifically requested seating that was located against a wall) She said she was aware of the request but couldn't seat us where we requested due to a large party coming. I stated that I made the rsvp 1 week prior and this should not be a problem. She finally agreed, sat us at a table that was to our liking. There were some tables with very young children and teenagers. Food was ok, service was fair. We are a young married couple, we prefer dining someplace with more ambiance and suited for adults only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dee lish!GGDDDined on 10/11/2014Great service, delicious meal. Can't ask for more. We found it on open table during our travels and so happy we did! didn't realize there was no alcohol served but we probably didn't read the fine print!Special Features:
- Consistently goodEBdiningVIPDined on 10/11/2014great place. Have been going for years. Only concern is that this time, it was particularly busy and the service was a little on the slow side and inconsistent. I sense this was a one time hick-up. The restaurant is consistent 99.9% of the time: great food, friendly staff, reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Indian JewelSambenDined on 9/12/2014A wonderful excursion to Bombay! The decor is bright and comfortable; the lunch buffet is varied, plentiful, and delicious!; and the service is friendly and attentive. I'm looking forward to returning with my family for a quick trip to India.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Curlymom62Dined on 9/6/2014The food was really good. The hostess was stressed and rude. Although we had a reservation, she walked us to the worst table in house (in front of the kitchen). It would have been very loud and busy. She was offended when we asked for one of the other open tables. They have great booths but were "saving" them (only one became occupied). Other than the hostess (who also glared at us as we left), the staff was lovely. The food was tasty and well presented. The restaurant's acoustics aren't great but the food was worth returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- afoodieDined on 9/6/2014We frequent Bombay Bistro often. The food is always good and the menu is different from the usual Indian fare so we like it for that reason as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian with a twistbarbarismsDined on 7/25/2014We stumbled across this restaurant a few weeks ago and this was our second time back. We had the Aloo Tuk for an appetizer and it was a very inventive potato dish. I got the vegetarian Dabba, which was very tasty and plentiful, and my husband added the roasted eggplant. All were delicious. We'll be back often.Special Features:
- Good Indian FoodJohnGVIPDined on 7/24/2014Contemporary Indian dishes with good vegetarian and non-vegetarian choices. My out of town business colleague had a great experience and found the cuisine exotic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fresh IndianbarbarismsDined on 7/11/2014We stumbled over this restaurant on another one and decided to try it. We weren't disappointed We like the look of the place and some of the new to us items on the menu. They bring ut a glass of chat to spoon on your plate first. Then came stuffed poori, whig was delicious - stuffed with potatoes. We then had chicken in tamarind chutney which was delicious and roasted eggplant, which was scrumptious. We ordered a piece of mango cheesecake to go but it was not in the bag when we got home. We called the restaurant and they were willing to either give us a refund or a piece of cake the next day even though they couldn't find our receipt.Special Features:
- Always a Good ExperienceYogabearDined on 7/3/2014Continues to be a favorite after many visits. The cooking is tasty and inventive! Plus they are always willing to add little bit of "this" or take away a little bit of "that"! Also, sometimes it takes people in a few visits to discover there is rear entrance from the public parking lot in case the street out front is full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 48 reviews are from the The Bombay Bistro reviews archive.
- Very Nice DinnerBBBBDined on 5/23/2014Wait staff, hostess, owner were friendly and professional. The dishes were not brought together but the delay was short and acceptable. The food was well prepared and delicious. We were not rushed at the end of our meal as the place filled up. A great value in terms of the price; for this quality.Special Features:
- Great Indian Food, Casual SettingChazooDined on 3/22/2014A fun restaurant that serves up high quality Indian food in comfortable, casual setting. Atmosphere rather plain, but it works with the fare & dining style here. Large booths can fit eight. Family friendly, plenty of options for kids, and long list of appetizers & specialties. Prices reasonable. Always a great time dining there with friends or just our own family. Seating usually available walk-in, but reservations recommended. It does get busy - a good sign. Take out is another option. A few suggestions: Had to request utensils a couple of times and had to ask for water refills - more attentive wait staff would have noticed those things instead of our having to ask. Recommended! You'll keeping coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Indian RestaurantMillburnResidentDined on 3/16/2014We have been here frequently with our college age children. The decor is cafeteria style but the food, prices, and service are all very good. Not a romantic Saturday night date place, but a perfectly pleasant Sunday night dinner place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealNateDined on 3/8/2014Our meal was really fantastic - great food and great service! Every item on the menu looked delicious and everything we ordered was great. Will definitely be back to explore the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 Hr Wait w/ ReservationAndrewDined on 2/22/2014Made a reservation for 5 people at 7:30 on a Friday night. We arrived on time, and were told that it would be a few minutes. Well, after an hour of waiting we headed to Begum Palace in Madison, NJ. Bombay Bistro told me that they were unprepared for a busy night (Friday night of restaurant week), but they were not very sympathetic until we were on our way out the door. We've been before, and the food is pleasant enough, but this experience was very disappointing.
- Disappointed on Valentine's Daypbc1Dined on 2/14/2014We had not been to the restaurant for over a year, so we wanted to give it a try again on Valentine's Day. They were obviously overbooked as we had to wait for a table, despite making a reservation through Open Table. Service was extremely slow, but it had more to do with lack of management and experience, and less to do with a busy night. (There were many empty tables.) The wait staff was unfamiliar with the dishes and repeatedly brought the wrong order to our table. Several times they came over when we had nothing at our table to ask how everything was. The food was not as good as our previous visits. They seem to be cutting corners on quality of ingredients and portion size.
- Great foodJerseyKVIPDined on 2/14/2014The food was delicious. Service was good even with a packed restaurant. Delicious naan. Very good prices. Strange table set up for small parties, very loud and close. Tile floor made noise and voices even louder. We will be back with friends so we can sit in a nice comfortable booth!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appalling nightcavaDined on 2/14/2014Service was very very slow, and it is a noisy place. They forgot my entree which was paleek paneer and by the time it arrived it was rubbery, the spinach had an almost fluorescent green tinge to it! It did taste ok though. The men I were eating with ordered meat dishes and neither were asked how spicy they wanted it and at no point did the waiter come and ask us if everything was ok, we just got topped up with drinks as you would expect. A place to avoid.
- Excellent and creative cuisineTokyodocDined on 2/7/2014Portion size is large, and it is tempting to order a lot of food as all was excellent and prices are reasonable. Restaurant hidden in Summit NJ with creative and novel Indian fare, friendly and attentive service. Somewhat bright and noisy room, but easy to hold a conversation. BYO -- wine store located 2 doors away.I would recommend this to a friend.
- dad bd dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2014we had a great time. the woman/waitress was very pleasant and informative. She helped guide us thru the menu.Special Features:
- Great Indian BuffetOpenTableDiner2013VIPDined on 1/14/2014This is a great place for a quick lunch. They offer a lunch buffet for around $10.00 with a good mix of choices. Because it's served buffet style, there are no delays and the food is hot and tasty! You can park behind the restaurant in a public lot that offers the first hour at no cost. There's also metered parking out front.Special Features:
- Menu has the best varietyDion2Dined on 1/3/2014Menu has the best variety I've seen for Indian restaurants. Have been back twice since this visit for take out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very flavorful, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/28/2013Very flavorful, excellent helpful and attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic Indian foodSuranjanVIPDined on 12/20/2013Very authentic. excellent service - manager came around and chatted with us for quite some time - made sure everything was perfect. Minor mistake with our order, and they comped that particular plate. Enjoyed the dinner very much, will certainly return. Try the special dhabas that are offered on the menu.Special Features:
- Great Indian foodMonikaDined on 12/19/2013If you want to enjoy delicious Indian food with awesome service, then this is the place. Cheers!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian food.nsfmdDined on 11/23/2013As per the other reviews, we found the food a cut above most of the other local Indian restaurants. In particular the appetizers were exceptional (Aloo Tuk and the tuna tartare) and the dessert we tried (Coconut) was both good and unusual. The service was solicitous and friendly. The restaurant is a bit noisy when full on the Saturday night we came. We are looking forward to returning, and had a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian restaurantHobokengirlDined on 11/10/2013An excellent Indian restaurant. The staples, paleek paneer and chicken tikka masala were excellent. Their mango lassi is delicious. There also this great drink with mango, ginger and ginger ale. So delicious. Must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice change of paceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/9/2013Hadn't had indian food in while. Never tried BB before. Food suggestions from our server were very good. They have dishes on the menu that you wouldn't normally find at an indian restaurant. I felt the lighting and decor could be improved - not my personal taste. But it would not prevent me from going back sometime.
- EXCELLENT CUISINE AND SERVICEdr007Dined on 11/8/2013The desi food here is excellent & tasted really healthy w/o all the oil & debris that you see @ the average indian restaurant; the food was wholesome, fresh, & HOT as it was right off the stove. We felt like we were at home.It is a BYOB so we got a few bottles of wine from across the starbucks and really enjoyed the night. The prices were reasonable and on the moderate end; the appetizers were just terrific as well as the entrees and dessert.The waitress was friendly and competent as well as the other staff and chef! We will definitely go there again and the food was so tasty. We are of Indian origin ourselves and know "good Indian food" from average restaurants in the area. Also, you will not go broke here and service portions are huge!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for sharingLovetoTravelVIPDined on 10/20/2013This is our go-to restaurant before we see a play at the PaperMill Playhouse. It is approx a 10 minute drive. The portions are huge and the entrees are diverse. It is fun to go with a group and order a bunch of different things that we can all try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food here is excellent!laylaVIPDined on 10/4/2013the food here is excellent! especially like the fried okra appetizer. they have a very welcoming staff also. it is byo, so if you want wine, bring it.Special Features:
- Some of the best Indian foodHowardVIPDined on 8/2/2013Some of the best Indian food I have eaten, including some meals I have had in IndiaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemSaef420Dined on 7/2/2013We had tandoori mushrooms as an appetizer, really unique and delicious. Great food overall. The best palak paneer I have ever had in my life. Elegant trendy ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectWmdgVIPDined on 6/11/2013We have tried different items each time we visit (6) with no regrets. This is Indian food at its very best. Be adventurous and try to agitate your tastes buds to total bliss. It's worth the visit!Special Features:
- food is exceptional, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/25/2013food is exceptional, service is just right. They leave you to enjoy your food, theyare there when you need them. it is a well oiled foodie machine. Fresh produce, you can see what you are eating.......first class, great value and surpasses expectation every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian food. Very differentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/18/2013Great Indian food. Very different from the ordinary Indian places that are all over NJ. Definitely worth trying.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Indian FoodShamwowDined on 5/11/2013The Bombay Bistro is a really great restaurant. The food is close to perfect. Updated yet authentic Indian. Only downside is the noise. The restaurant was full on a Saturday night and we had a hard time hearing each other! But, the food was worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious authenticIndian Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/29/2013Wonderful Indian restaurant...Excellent food, well priced, terrific service!Special Features: