The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY 12538Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bocuserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 845-471-6608x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
Dinner: 6–8:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
Sleek and strikingly contemporary, this French restaurant is named for the most famous chef in France, Paul Bocuse. The Bocuse Restaurant re-imagines the execution of classic French cuisine through the lens of ultra-modern cooking techniques, brings a new style of casual yet sophisticated service, and offers a breathtaking architectural interior design. With an exceptional French wine list and innovative cocktail program, The Bocuse Restaurant is a unique and exciting, world class dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America - Best Restaurants in Hyde Park ›
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America reviews from OpenTable diners
353 reviews since May 18, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (257)fit for foodies (257)notable wine list (129)great for lunch (119)romantic (102)scenic view (94)good for groups (67)neighborhood gem (42)hot spot (17)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (4)Show More
- ExtraordinaryDaMinManDined on 9/13/2014I went for a Saturday lunch with my fiance'. We are foodies and prefer fine dining. We always wanted to go to the 'Harvard of Chefs' for a meal, and we were not disappointed. The food was perhaps some of the best we've ever eaten, certainly rivaling meals we've had at Del Posto. The servers seemed a little nervous with some dropped forks, and things weren't coming off the table until the next course arrived, causing our server to struggle. The table side ice cream and treats were stunning, and delicious. HIGHLY recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice at tentative serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014You need to work on serving tea Felt like the French cuisine going after the EnglishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The food was great. We celebrated my wife's birthday and she enjoyed the food, the views, and the wonderful students who took care of us!Special Features:
- Thursday nite outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Easy to make...and change...reservation. Student wait staff were attentive and able to answer questions about items on menu. Lovely presentations...I enjoyed the tenderloin and my dining companions loved the halibut. A very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We enjoyed our experience at CIA. Beautiful campus and buildings. We felt that lunch was a shade overpriced and that the portions were a bit small, especially dessert. In addition, we would have liked our server to be more knowledgeable on our choice of wines that accompanied our entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014The remodeled restaurant is now larger, lighter and the view of the student food preparation much better. The food is still excellent or even better than in the original Escoffier Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Great experience, something that should be experienced at least once. Cost was higher than what I was really wanting to pay. Would not go back based on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Star appetizer!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Bocuse is different from other restaurants because it is part of the educational program at the Culinary Institute. The ambiance and menu were outstanding. The opportunity to view the kitchen from our table added to the experience. The students were professional and enthusiastic. The only limitation was that our server, close to graduation, was not fluent in English and several times a supervisor had to assist her in explaining the dishes, understading our order, and finally in computing the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three generations delightedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/10/2014My Mom, daughter and I celebrated a major birthday milestone over a delightful lunch on Wednesday. We started with champagne cocktails, savored our prix fix meal and finished with a decadent coffee cocktail. The lobster appetizer and steak main dish were tops on our list. The tableside ice cream is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one glitchchefscompanionDined on 9/6/2014loved everything, except part of my chicken was raw. I didn't want to send it back because I had sent back the butter poached lobster last summer. I was eating with a retired chef who checked to make sure I was correct. I know I should have because that's hoe the students learn. I just didn't want any bumps or delay in the rest of the dining experience which was superb. I left the raw chicken exposed on the plate and the server looked liked they were shocked so I know they were aware. the severe forgot to give me a pen for the bill. I had none on me. I was given a pen immediately from another server when I asked.Special Features:
- Eat at BocuseChachDined on 9/5/2014Always exciting to go to Bocuse. This visit was day 1 for the new shift of students and they did not disappoint. Three cheers for the excellent preparation the CIA staff provides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food!AnnieDined on 9/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. It was very busy, a bit noisy--it was their graduation day. Some of the graduates' families ate there, in addition to other customers. We had to wait a little for our food, but did not mind at all. The student wait staff were so pleasant and earnest in their duties. Even though they were very busy they did not mind answering questions, or taking care whatever special request one had. The food was truly outstanding! Very nicely planned, great plate presentation, and best of all--tasted wonderful! It is pricey, so may not be ideal for a quick casual lunch, and it is not meant to be . However, the food is well worth the price. Judging from what we experienced, our dining future will be in good hands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ActiveMemaDined on 9/4/2014The food was wonderful as was the service. There was a lot of activity and our table and it was very close to another one but felt very private. Service was perfect. We never waited for anything but it was unobstuctively delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ronniekRONNIEKDined on 9/4/2014This was the first time dining at the CIA . Others had said the service and the food could be spotty. I thought it was wonderful. A big comfortable room. Great look and colour. The service was wonderful. All the food that came out looked and smelled wonderful. It was a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocuse is the Best!!!zippyDined on 9/4/2014Bocuse is the French restaurant at the Culinary Institute. For those who love French food and appreciate excellent service in a beautiful environment then Bocuse is a must. My husband and I have eaten there on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed. The food is prepared by students and is served by students. Their goal is to give each diner a wonderful, unforgettable dining experience. The food is exquisitely prepared and each dish is a work of art. The menu changes from time to time but whether I've eaten Alaskan char, tuna, filet mignon or duck, it's all been a delectable treat.Special Features:
- normaandbarryDined on 9/3/2014The presentation was terrific The service friendly and attentive Some of the combinations of ingredients were not pleasing to my tasteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Excellent culinary adventure. Very nice place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd timeTravelerDined on 9/3/2014This is my second time to Bocuse within a a short period of time because the dining experience is wonderful. Previously I had never been to a French restaurant because I thought the food would be heavy with creamy sauces. That is not the case with Bocuse. I recommend the Prix Fixe meals, but even at the regular prices you would not receive such a wonderful meal at such a great price at any other restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Night OutJRD63Dined on 9/2/2014Celebrating our daughters birthday. Well rounded selection of interesting appetizers and entries. Get the table side ice cream- it comes with a bunch of nice extras.Special Features:
- School never tasted so goodAmafoodieDined on 9/2/2014Excellent, creative French cooking, new ideas, classically prepared and well presented!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we hadn't waited to try CIANikki57Dined on 8/29/2014Impressive wine list , delicious cocktails ... Fresh ingredients expertly prepared. Lobster appetizer and heirloom tomatoes were excellent. Dramatic dessert preparation . Entrees were " good" but didn't live up to the first and last act. But definitely can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CIA is Always InterestingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Remembering this is a school, you must expect that there will be some rough edges in food and service. Having said that, is is always and interesting visit and one that should not be missed.Special Features:
- A special place and meal!HappydinerDined on 8/29/2014Service was excellent. The lobster appetizer was PERFECT! The steak filet was perfection! The dessert left a lot to be desired. It was very creative in its presentation, but the complex dessert missed its mark. The little treats that came along with the bill were better than the desert The new interior design is nice, but the tables are so close to each other that even the wait staff had great difficulty trying to serve us our food.Special Features:
- Great food. Iffy service.SteveFVIPDined on 8/28/2014Our food was terrific and beautifully plated. Our waitress had no clue about service. Her knowledge of what was in the dishes and her complete lack of knowledge of their wines was amateur. The fact that she was graduating in a few weeks does not put a good light on the school.Special Features:
- CIA BocuseGGoodwinDined on 8/27/2014Went there for my birthday, what a treat! Food was delicious, though expected nothing less at the CIA! Choice of bread sourdough or french both we great, the french rolls were hot which to me made them better. My brother had the lobster appetizer he said it was delicious. Our entrees were just wonderful, still thinking about the jus mixed with the potatoes and meat with every bite. I had the tenderloin with smoked potatoes though I didn't taste the smoke, they were still great. The dish also had grape tomatoes on top that had been roasted but they were so sweet they tasted as though they had been candied. The piece of meat could've been a little thicker but other than that it was fabulous. Definitely would return!Special Features:
- Pleasant experience.sophianyDined on 8/27/2014Appreciated the enthusiastic service. The grounds are great before and after dinner. Food preparation quite good in presentation and flavors. Only negative; entrée arrived to quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Service So-soOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/27/2014OK - you know you are at a teaching restaurant when you go in...so I'm willing to be VERY forgiving of service and food. The food was wonderful, if not a little too "trying to be different". Trying something new is great. Sometimes it really hits a home run (the local chicken was far from bland, and was perfect!), the green tea/red bean dessert was absolutely forgettable. The food is worth going there for! The service, however, you need to be extremely forgiving for. We ordered a fine bottle of red, a bottle of white arrived. We were told it was the bottle we ordered (user error), and then showed them on the carte that we were not wrong. Food dropped on the lap of client. Food did arrive at all the same time, which was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocuse diningRosietheRiveter1Dined on 8/27/2014this restaurant has the potential to be great. the food was magnificently presented and tasted fabulously delicious (we were 5 people having 3 different dishes). however, the service left a lot to be desired. perhaps we were in the first week of the 'rotation', but the waitstaff seemed distant and not at all interested in taking care of us. that was a huge disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014Hard to believe that the food was prepared by students (they ARE the best in the US). Flavors were delightful, presentation for all dishes was beautiful and the 4 of us were pleased at all the choices for appetizers, entrees and desserts for a prix fixe menu of $35 for lunch. 2-3 kinds each of fish and meat and 1 vegetarian dish. There was an additional charge of $2-4 for some items like lobster or tenderloin - but well worth it. The lavender ice cream was to die for! Wines by the glass were a bargain at $7-12 per glass for delicious French wines. Staff was friendly and attentive and explained the food preparation to us for each course.Special Features:
- SeasonalfunDined on 8/27/2014I have visited every restaurant at the CIA, this is my least favorite. The gentleman at the entrance, did not even welcome my party until I greeted him. If I visit the CIA again it will not be at this restaurant. I only visit once or twice a year, so I was disappointed.
- Special experienceSttlersDined on 8/27/2014Suburb food. Service was by newer student who messed up my wife's order (twice!)but it is a learning curve for them so no big deal. Everything about the CIA is impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- captainLynnDined on 8/26/2014Wait staff not well skilled. Waiter needed help to open a bottle of wine. We had to request bread . Portions tiny and very artistic. Go there for the experience not for the mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedmbndDined on 8/26/2014This was our first visit since Bocuse opened. We were disappointed in the new decor (more casual, bench seating, tables too closed). Wait staff was unable to serve the table next to us without brushing either us or our table with their behinds. Parties were seated at adjacent table when the were several similar tables available that would have given diners more space. First negative experience in dozens of visits to the CIA.We will continue to visit the other restaurants on campus but will not return to Bocuse.Special Features:
- A real pleasureMcsFUNDined on 8/26/2014The fra gras & tuna appetizers were excellent. The beef tenderloin entree melts in your mouth. The rabbit entree was interesting with it's mustard dressing. The duck entree was good, but we have had better. Great service by the students.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BocuseHydeParkfoodDined on 8/26/2014Always a wonderful experience at the CIA and will plan to try all their restaurants over time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bliss!GoodChoiceDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful campus - impeccably groomed. Excellent value for money (stay away from extras if you are counting pennies). Food was prepared properly and delicious. Went with our tweens and even they were happy! (Couple next to us was celebrating 57th anniversary!) Wine list presented via Ipad w/ option to email selections to yourself. Service was very very good, but it was 2 weeks before graduation so there were a bit of butterflies. It's nice to interact with folks who care about service ;-) The nitrogen ice cream bar was novel & the lavender flavor great. Afterwards, we wanted to go to Apple Pie Bakery to get some baked goodies & coffee for the road, but wait was 1hr so we left. Can't wait for the next visit.Special Features:
- Good food but heavy on the saltFoodLoverDined on 8/23/2014A very enjoyable dinner in a great setting with lovely food presentation. Service was very good and menu selection was equally good. My only negative comment was the food was too salty. We ordered the foie gras which was served with salt crystals around the edge and a brioche which was dripping in melted butter. Foie gras has such a delicate taste so the salt and the buttered bread killed the taste. I ordered the duck which was excellent, although the vegetables were too salty. My husband ordered the steak which was excellent. Both of our desserts were very good and the wine selection was good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScottyDined on 8/23/2014Good experience. Our waiter was a little aloof and lacked a personality. Food excellent as was wine.Special Features:
- Servers in the Spirit of ItOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014It was a special occasion and our Servers captured the experimental nature of the meal and event and added to the occasion.Special Features:
- BWTtnVIPDined on 8/23/2014Similar to my review of Medici, I was disappointed. Appetizer was OK, nothing special. Chicken was over-salted and slightly dry. Service was marginal. Didn't any of these students ever have a job as a waiter or waitress as a teenager? I had better service in a diner for breakfast the next morning, and the teenager there didn't go to CIA.