The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY 12538Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bocuserestaurant.com/
- Phone: (845) 471-6608
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
Dinner: 6–8:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
Sleek and strikingly contemporary, this French restaurant is named for the most famous chef in France, Paul Bocuse. The Bocuse Restaurant re-imagines the execution of classic French cuisine through the lens of ultra-modern cooking techniques, brings a new style of casual yet sophisticated service, and offers a breathtaking architectural interior design. With an exceptional French wine list and innovative cocktail program, The Bocuse Restaurant is a unique and exciting, world class dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America - Best Restaurants in Hyde Park ›
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America reviews from OpenTable diners
401 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (308)special occasion (284)notable wine list (141)great for lunch (137)scenic view (109)romantic (108)good for groups (84)neighborhood gem (56)hot spot (32)great for brunch (19)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Graduates PerformOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2014We were so fortunate to have a group of graduating CIA students serve us at lunch. They made an excellent example of just how wonderful CIA can show off the abilities of the students and how the students have benefited from their experience at CIA. The meal was delicious from the beginning to end. Highly recommend the Chestnut Soup which has a foam of apple cider and bits of pear. Delicious! We also stayed for dinner at American Bounty which paled in comparison to La Bocuse in both service and menu. We will be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocus at CIA excellentEggbeaterDined on 11/22/2014It is amazing to think that all the food is made by students. There is so much talent at CIA-Bocus it is unreal. We had 3 appetizers, Crispy Octopus was beyond words, Lobster Scallop Sausage - flavor of Lobster and Scallop came through with no problem and the Torchon of La Belle Farms Foie Gras was very good, though I am not a fan of Foie Gras. It's a texture thing. For entrees we had Venison, Short Ribs and Duck. There were no complaints on any. The Short Ribs fell apart and the flavor was to die for. The Duck was very tender and flavorful. It is expensive but well worth the price. We did not leave asking ourselves what we had but rather how amazing the flavors were and when will we have a chance to go back. Our waiter made some very good wine selections to go with the meal. Very impressive for students. CIA teaches them very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great concept small portionsluv2eatDined on 11/22/2014This is a great evening out to sample the work of the students and talk to them . The night would have been perfect if the portions were not so small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but lousy servicekfj1VIPDined on 11/22/2014When I reserved a table at Bocuse for a special occasion, and knowing it was part of the CIA, I expected everything to be perfect. I realize that the staff is in training, but to receive poor service is inexplicable. The waiter had little to no clue on the dishes and had difficulty determining whether certain dishes would be appropriate for a diet limited due to medical reasons. Additionally, no mention was made of the dessert special another waiter explained to an adjoining table. Unfortunately, this was a low point in an otherwise great day in the Hudson River Valley.Special Features:
- French food and funOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Had a delightful evening at this lively restaurant. The service was outstanding as was the food. The waiter provided excellent and efficient service. The food was tasty and unique. We enjoyed chatting with the people next to us and had a lot of fun with the question box on the table. Dessert ice cream was made tableside while we nibbled on a few outstanding mini desserts. Totally enjoyable evening. Even had a kitchen tour! A definite must do when visiting Hyde Park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CIA, BocuseNYCTravellersTwoVIPDined on 11/21/2014The experience (food and service) was much, much better the two previous times we dined at the CIA - once at Ameican bounty, once previously at Bocuse. We assume this was just an off night, maybe since it was very close to graduation. We wil try again in the future.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Our lunch on the 21st at La Bocuse was really wonderful. I have not been to the CIA in Hyde Park in many years, and so visiting their extensive campus was great. The restaurant itself was excellent and fun to be served by staff who will be out in the food world working for great restaurants around the country. Food was perfect...would go back in a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocuse lunchkateDined on 11/21/2014our party of 5 thourghly enjoyed our lunch & the high level of service and attention. our only complaint is 3 of our entrees (all the same selection) arrived lukewarm. despite that fact the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch mid weekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Food tasted great. Our biggest concern was the main server who kept his proximity to us so close that we felt we couldn't really have a conversation. We also asked several questions about the food in terms of preparation (simple) and the answers were less than satisfactory. So all in all it was a more uncomfortable situation than not.Special Features:
- Fine dining the way it should beshotzieDined on 11/19/2014It's not perfect but the whole reason for the school and resteraunts is to train people to be chefs, servers and managers. These are not people waiting for their big break in another business, they are people who want to be there and this is their profession. As a result the food is first class and the staff is learning to be attentive, friendly and professional. If it's ambiance and good food in a parklike setting you want then this is the place go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocuse restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Our Bocuse Restaurant was very pleasant. Do not think that this is an inexpensive alternative place to eat though. Our lunch bill for two, with only one person having a glass of wine, was $125.00. We will return again when we want a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining & Fine Service, Second to NoneouttonightDined on 11/19/2014When we couldn't get a reservation to the CIA's famously popular American Bounty restaurant, we opted for Bocuse. Snippy reviews criticized the interior decor, as if that was important. My sister and i were enchanted by the food, the service, AND the decor. The prix fixe lunch menu was imaginative, and the service by a soon-to-be-graduate was professional and delightful. Our many questions were answered with a quiet friendliness and dignity. The room is bright, and the comfortable seating makes you want to savor the experience over another cup of delicious coffee. A wonderful place if you are touring the Hudson River Valley sites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened???OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Having had a fantastic dining experiences at The Escoffier Room in the past, we were excited to dine at the newly refurbished and updated CIA French restaurant, Bocuse. We arrived promptly for our reservation and were seated at a wonderful table. The restaurant is beautiful in a modern trendy sort of way, but the noise level was so high, we could hardly hear our wait staff. Seems everything in the décor of the restaurant is a hard surface, nothing to help absorb the noise. The food was not what one would expect from one of the top cooking schools in the world; there are half a dozen restaurants in a 10 mile radius that serves the same. The service seemed to be rushed; we could hear bickering among the wait staff that seemed more suited for working a chain restaurant, not a high-end dining establishment. Having dined previously at the CIA and with firsthand knowledge about what a storied and wonderful event it can be, we are left pondering the question, what happened? We will try again before passing judgment. But if this is what fine dining has become, it is a sad day for all of us that love to experience the art of dining.Special Features:
- French cuisine at its best!IreneTDined on 11/18/2014This is a teaching restaurant for students at the Culinary Institute. I recommend lunch here since you are able to see the beautiful views of the Hudson River. Inventively prepared modern French food that is lighter than when the restaurant was still the Escoffier. Prix fixe is a great option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server Tori was a doll, a real delight.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Tori is graduating next week and if this is the caliber of student you are turning out I highly applaud you. The food was great, as usual, but her excitement was contagious. Where she's going after graduation and her plans and her energy was admirable. Keep up the great work at the school and thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerPatriciaDined on 11/15/2014We were a party of four and two of us had dined at Bocuse previously. Restaurant is beautiful and service was excellent given these are young students getting ready to graduate within a few weeks. Favorites were the grilled octopus appetizer, duck, poached fish, and mocha dessert. Least favorite was the sour dough bread. Too dense and sour. Overall a lovely evening at the CIA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great mealsatisfiedguestDined on 11/14/2014My wife and I had a wonderful meal at the Bocuse. The selection was excellent as was the food and service. We have always enjoyed our CIA visits both for special occasions and evenings out. We certainly recommend the CIA to anyone who wishes to have a first class dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful night with friendsGaugeDined on 11/13/2014Great food, wine and service. We really enjoyed talking to the students about the food and their futures after CIASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eveningBarbaraDined on 11/13/2014This was our first experience at Bocuse (second at the Culinary Institute). All four of us enjoyed our dinner, wine and the service was excellent. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real disappointmentALSMVIPDined on 11/13/2014We were looking forward to dining at Bocuse. What a disappointment! The food portions were minuscule and under seasoned. The service was very amateurish. Our server kept neglecting to bring the silverware for each course until after the course was served. She offered a dessert (carrot cake), but neglected to tell us there was a surcharge for this selection. She specifically asked if we would like the cappuccino with our dessert, then neglected to bring it until the end.
- Birthday Lunchkks16Dined on 11/13/2014Took my parent's for their 75th birthdays and they loved it. Great service and views. So lucky to have this gem so close to us. Can't wait to go back. Don't forget to stop by the apple pie bakery before you leave to take home some goodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing compared to previous dining's.ciaregsDined on 11/13/2014The new rendering of the Bocuse Restaurant loses much of what was good about the Escoffier Restaurant. The Lighting is harsh and the noise level disturbing, probably due to a lack of sound deadening materials. We have been going to the CIA for over 30 years (since we live in Poughkeepsie) and this was a disappointment. The duck breast was flavorless and the overall offering somewhat below the level we were used to. We will continue to come, but primarily to the Bounty Restaurant. Please bring back the Lunches in the Kitchen series, which were always enjoyable.Special Features:
- Nice Restaurant Week ExperienceAnnaDined on 11/12/2014We went during Hudson Valley Restaurant Week. It was a great way to experience a restaurant we wouldn't usually visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingAmore00Dined on 11/12/2014Foie gras should not be served. Very inhumane to geese and ducks. Restaurant was very loud and did not have a good ambiance. More like a diner than a culinary school restaurant. Liked the former Bocuse better. Service was lacking. Ordered wine that was not available at the restaurant. Server made a substitution without consulting me.Special Features:
- BocuseKellyDined on 11/12/2014Excellent excellent excellent! We tried all new things and were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top ShelfLorenzoDined on 11/11/2014Always special. The desire of all to do a superior job -- from the kitchen to table and beyond.Special Features:
- An education for the dinerBOTUDined on 11/11/2014The food was very good, but the garnishes just seem to get carried away offering little in the way of taste. Seemingly unlikely combinations actually highlighted the flavors, but because the portions were so minimal, they only served as window dressing and not really a part of the dish. Hole punch sized veggies? Micro greens probably placed by tweezers? Small dots and swirls to small too small to recognize their flavors. Is this what fine dining has become? While our primary server was wonderful, the other students for front of the house were on top of each other. I missed the amuse bouche, and while I thought the mini candy dessert sampler at the end was nice, we got 2 pieces of everything, but we were a party of 3.Special Features:
- Pleased, As AlwayssurprisemeDined on 11/11/2014Went there with my boss and his wife. They had never dined there before. All was as expected. Service was very attentive and the food was "spot on"!Special Features:
- BlessedDined on 11/11/2014Food was good, portions too small. Left feeling I could eat another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencesaddeclineVIPDined on 11/11/2014It had been years since I had been to the CIA. The food was interesting and delicious and the "student" wait staff extremely competent and charming. It was a beautiful day in the Hudson Valley, which didn't hurt.Special Features:
- 4 star restaurant at a 2 star priceFoodietobeDined on 11/11/2014Although this is a training ground for future chefs, our experience was that everyone was already well trained. Excellent food, excellent presentation, excellent service. The Table Side handmade ice cream was unique and special. We were there for lunch and afterwards we took a stroll through the campus and enjoyed the beautiful view of the Hudson River valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week menu (&meal)MisterBill99VIPDined on 11/8/2014This was the first time that I had remembered to make a Restaurant Week reservation as soon as reservations opened up (2 months out), so we finally got to eat here for HVRW. The menu was great, their full menu with a few $ supplements (which sadly were higher than their normal supplements when they do the menu for $45 mid-week, per their website), but still a good deal. Food was very good and well prepared. Service was friendly with a few glitches (they swapped the medium-rare and medium-well duck breasts), but that is to be expected given that you're being served by students. My biggest complaint, the bread should have been warmed, it was served cold. Ask for a table with a view of the kitchen if you enjoy that sort of thing (I do).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Students Superb at Bocuse.ChefsTipVIPDined on 11/8/2014http://food.lohudblogs.com/2014/11/10/hvrw-fall-2014-the-bocuse-restaurant-culinary-institute-of-america-in-hyde-park/ Formal review. Everything is fantastic....presentation is amazing. beautiful plates.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014The energy in the room was palpable. Young culinarians about to start their careers full of hope. Always one of my favorite dining experiences!Special Features:
- Lunch on the riverSuePDined on 11/7/2014Every year 4 or 5 of us women take a ride up the the Culinary Institute in the fall for lunch. This year it was the French restaurants turn. The weather was beautiful, the parking easy. We had a very delicious, relaxing lunch. I had the duck, which was good, but could have been a little more crisp. Other than that, everything was very good. I had the tomato salad and it was excellent. We tried several desserts. Everyone with me enjoyed their meal very much. We will be back!Special Features:
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014Had a great time & learnt much from the waitress about the food we had, how food was prepared etc. Already planning our next visit with other friends who could not come this time. Food was excellent , love the asian flavor added to the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripdramateacherDined on 11/6/2014Lovely food, lovely presentation. Modernist Lemon Bar to die for!Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2014The food was delicious, beautifully presented. The servers were friendly and happy to answer all our questions. We had a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceFresserDined on 11/6/2014It is always a wonderful experience dining at the CIA and the support staff is 110% on top of things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Our male server should receive a "D-" for the service he provided. I have been there many times, twice this year with my first experience in 1983, and his knowledge of how the ingredients in the sauces was horrible (he had no clue what went in one of them) He was personable, but served me from across the table. A big No No. Completely opposite from my last visit. He seemed to care less as he was graduating in a few days. This is disappointing. I guess one bad experience could be expected for the numerous times I have been there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.