The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY 12538Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bocuserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 845-471-6608x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
Dinner: 6–8:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
Sleek and strikingly contemporary, this French restaurant is named for the most famous chef in France, Paul Bocuse. The Bocuse Restaurant re-imagines the execution of classic French cuisine through the lens of ultra-modern cooking techniques, brings a new style of casual yet sophisticated service, and offers a breathtaking architectural interior design. With an exceptional French wine list and innovative cocktail program, The Bocuse Restaurant is a unique and exciting, world class dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America - Best Restaurants in Hyde Park ›
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America reviews from OpenTable diners
351 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (256)fit for foodies (245)notable wine list (130)great for lunch (127)romantic (109)scenic view (105)good for groups (70)neighborhood gem (36)great for brunch (19)hot spot (15)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- CIA BocuseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Went there for my birthday, what a treat! Food was delicious, though expected nothing less at the CIA! Choice of bread sourdough or french both we great, the french rolls were hot which to me made them better. My brother had the lobster appetizer he said it was delicious. Our entrees were just wonderful, still thinking about the jus mixed with the potatoes and meat with every bite. I had the tenderloin with smoked potatoes though I didn't taste the smoke, they were still great. The dish also had grape tomatoes on top that had been roasted but they were so sweet they tasted as though they had been candied. The piece of meat could've been a little thicker but other than that it was fabulous. Definitely would return!Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Service So-soOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/27/2014OK - you know you are at a teaching restaurant when you go in...so I'm willing to be VERY forgiving of service and food. The food was wonderful, if not a little too "trying to be different". Trying something new is great. Sometimes it really hits a home run (the local chicken was far from bland, and was perfect!), the green tea/red bean dessert was absolutely forgettable. The food is worth going there for! The service, however, you need to be extremely forgiving for. We ordered a fine bottle of red, a bottle of white arrived. We were told it was the bottle we ordered (user error), and then showed them on the carte that we were not wrong. Food dropped on the lap of client. Food did arrive at all the same time, which was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocuse diningRosietheRiveter1Dined on 8/27/2014this restaurant has the potential to be great. the food was magnificently presented and tasted fabulously delicious (we were 5 people having 3 different dishes). however, the service left a lot to be desired. perhaps we were in the first week of the 'rotation', but the waitstaff seemed distant and not at all interested in taking care of us. that was a huge disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014This was our first visit since Bocuse opened. We were disappointed in the new decor (more casual, bench seating, tables too closed). Wait staff was unable to serve the table next to us without brushing either us or our table with their behinds. Parties were seated at adjacent table when the were several similar tables available that would have given diners more space. First negative experience in dozens of visits to the CIA.We will continue to visit the other restaurants on campus but will not return to Bocuse.Special Features:
- Bliss!GoodChoiceDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful campus - impeccably groomed. Excellent value for money (stay away from extras if you are counting pennies). Food was prepared properly and delicious. Went with our tweens and even they were happy! (Couple next to us was celebrating 57th anniversary!) Wine list presented via Ipad w/ option to email selections to yourself. Service was very very good, but it was 2 weeks before graduation so there were a bit of butterflies. It's nice to interact with folks who care about service ;-) The nitrogen ice cream bar was novel & the lavender flavor great. Afterwards, we wanted to go to Apple Pie Bakery to get some baked goodies & coffee for the road, but wait was 1hr so we left. Can't wait for the next visit.Special Features:
- Good food but heavy on the saltFoodLoverDined on 8/23/2014A very enjoyable dinner in a great setting with lovely food presentation. Service was very good and menu selection was equally good. My only negative comment was the food was too salty. We ordered the foie gras which was served with salt crystals around the edge and a brioche which was dripping in melted butter. Foie gras has such a delicate taste so the salt and the buttered bread killed the taste. I ordered the duck which was excellent, although the vegetables were too salty. My husband ordered the steak which was excellent. Both of our desserts were very good and the wine selection was good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScottyDined on 8/23/2014Good experience. Our waiter was a little aloof and lacked a personality. Food excellent as was wine.Special Features:
- Servers in the Spirit of ItOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014It was a special occasion and our Servers captured the experimental nature of the meal and event and added to the occasion.Special Features:
- BWTtnVIPDined on 8/23/2014Similar to my review of Medici, I was disappointed. Appetizer was OK, nothing special. Chicken was over-salted and slightly dry. Service was marginal. Didn't any of these students ever have a job as a waiter or waitress as a teenager? I had better service in a diner for breakfast the next morning, and the teenager there didn't go to CIA.
- In good handsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014From the moment you arrive from the long enjoyable walk from the parking lot, the CIA's Bocuse Restaurant is a special gem in the Hudson Valley. CIA students are so enthusiastic about service, food prep, and the dining experience and it shows. It really is an honor to be a test diner here! The students will continue to raise standards wherever they go. I must return here twice a year to experience the whole menu and converse with the students.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary ExperienceMichaelDined on 8/23/2014What a fantastic Place to visit and to dine. The Bocuse restaurant is always a great dining experience. My wife and I had the Butter Poached Lobster and it was just as great as the first time I had it a year ago. For my main entree I had the Beef Tenderloin and my wife had the Duck Breast, both superb. For dessert it was a little disappointing that they ran out of the ice cream dessert, but my wife had the hot chocolate cake and I had the vanilla pot au cream. Great Job they do at the CIA as you would expect. I'll be back...Special Features:
- Exceptional PlacegldmanVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is truly outstanding. I would be a regular if it were closer. If you will be near Hyde Park, do not miss this place. Note that the signs for the restaurant parking are confusing. Parking is under the main plaza. Please be aware that the servers are all students. I rated service as outstanding because they all really care and try very hard. So give them a break, because they are students. Also note that the gratuity is included in the bill. This is clearly marked. A place not to miss. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocuse Dining ExperienceThumbsupDined on 8/23/2014Bocuse is a great dining experience. The food was delicious but the portions were beyond small. As I was enjoying my food and taking mini bites, it was gone in no time. In order for me to return, the portions need to increase a little especially since the prices are New York five star prices.Special Features:
- Perfect mealMike1Dined on 8/22/2014We tried Bocuse for the first time and are very happy to report that it is up to the standards I expect from the CIA. Each course consisted of layer upon layer of incredible tastes.Special Features:
- CIA Bocuse Restaurantllh8694Dined on 8/22/2014The food was excellent the staff was very committed and knowledgeableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LadyBDined on 8/22/2014A Woderful evening. A repeat for some of us. All the staff is amazing.Special Features:
- Killer ishOldguyDined on 8/22/2014If you can't find something that you like here, you are an unpleasable chump. It is the goodness, wrapped in niceness and topped with pleasant sweetness.Special Features:
- lunch at BocuseHunnybeeDined on 8/22/2014The ambiance and service at the Culinary Institute restaurants is always superb. This time I ordered breast of chicken which was excellent, however, the ma My meal came with an unidentified piece of meat which was undercooked. I did not eat it but informed our wait person who told the chef. End of story.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingDonotgohungryDined on 8/22/2014The men who served were unfailingly pleasant, but INEPT. My wife ordered DECAF ICED COFFEE. "no problem Madame". What she got was Hot,Regular coff in a press carafe! It took 3 requests...10 min between each, to get bread to the table. The lobster appetizer was Excellent, the Big Eye Tuna AWFUL.. It was minced to mush! We had to request a fork....and Then a knife... When the main dishes Were served because they clear used utensils but do not replace for the next course. Elegant restaurants normally serve small portions, but these were under child sized. Bill was $210 we left hungry and SAD for C.I.A. Col. Jay SpechlerSpecial Features:
- food as artTastefulTessieDined on 8/22/2014Not your everyday dining experience...something special....The students and staff of Bocuse take great care with presentation and artistry of the food they present. Everything is carefully prepared and presented in a special way. Delicious and unusual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honeymoon diningfood2014Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent and creative dishes! We had such a nice time. The servers did a wonderful job recommending things and explaining the dishes to us.Special Features:
- A Comedy of Errors & InexperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Many very long waits during meal...found out our server had issues. Granddaughter's beef tenderloin was so tough, she chewed for quite some time and then gave up Yellow tomato soup and black truffle soup were very good Rest of meal left much to be desired Waited 1/ hr for both dessert and then again for a check. Manager came over and apologized profusely and deducted one meal. Also gave us a coupon for another visit and some candy to take with us. Very disappointing evening, esp. for our granddaughter's end-of-summer vacation trip.
- Educational!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/21/2014The food was wonderful. The service was a little slow, but we weren't in a hurry so we were fine with it. We had to ask for bread and our bottle of wine. I would definitely return to the CIA for this amazing experience.Special Features:
- It stinks see my facebook pageMyUpsetStomachDined on 8/21/2014Dear Sir/ To who it may concern, My wife Kathy and I had dinner at your facility and were disappointed in 3 aspects the appetizers were bland,she had the tuna appetizer and I had the lobster. The entres she had the beef and I had the duck. Her beef tasted mealy and almost moldy. Next table had truffle soup nauseated my wife.My dessert sent back-lemon bar took cheese board. Server gave no spoons desserts 4/ 15 minutes after given. Fri apple pie bakery 4 breakfast. 2 bad! my wife loved her salt/caramelcoco donut best thing she had at CIA. I pretzel/broccoli chese delivered cold! sent back given 1 warmed & had upset stomach all day. We can't think going back to the american harvest rest/Fri tonight. Yours truly Alex glatt 718 441 8744
- BocuseHARLEYDined on 8/21/2014I was really pleased having dinner at Bocuse. The food was great, both in taste and presentation and the service was first class. We finished with a great dessert with a startling presentation! We had lunch at the APPLE TREE BAKERY and that too was great. The staff was pleasant and attentive.Thank you for a great dining experience. ALLAN FERDYNSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014In a party of four, two were very happy with the food and two not. Everyone loved the atmosphere and the service was very helpful and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique!FoodyMDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary by visiting the Hyde Park area. Since I'm a French teacher it was a must to have dinner at Bocuse. We were so impressed with the ambience, service and food quality. Our server, Jake, was professional, attentive and friendly. Our meal was delicious and we were even given a plate of small delectable sweets before our check was given to us. The idea of adding a percentage rather than tipping is a wonderful way for the school to show appreciation to all its students. The CIA is absolutely beautiful and we will return someday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary InstitutefuntimesDined on 8/21/2014We have always enjoyed dining at CIA - food and staff are very professional and great at their jobs!Special Features:
- BocuseTheaterdiningDined on 8/21/2014If you want to see how great chefs are made, this is the place. It was clear to see who was learning, but the efforts are earnest.Special Features:
- Enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Our soon-to-graduate waiter was personable and friendly to a perfect degree. It was fun to watch the students practice their skills with such attention to details. The atmosphere was bustling but not anxious. We found it to be a very enjoyable experience we'd like to repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Long Islander day tripOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Lunch at the Bocuse was a wonderful experience. The food and service was excellent. Best beef tenderloin I ever had. I remember the Escoffier restaurant and must say I was very disappointed with the ambience at the Bocuse. Too sterile an environment for me. The old world feel is gone along with the warmth of wood and draperies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bocuse at the CIAlovevegetablesDined on 8/20/2014If visiting the Hyde Park area, this is a must stop. Excellent French food using fresh and unusual ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/20/2014Touring the CIA and then dinner at the Bocuse were awesome. The restaurant is gorgeous with a huge open kitchen. Cocktail and wine were wonderful, lobster and halibut were delicious and dessert was interesting. Definite must do experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wee bit of France on the Hudson.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Great ambience and attentive srrvice in early phase of meal but slow after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryDined on 8/20/2014Why in the world would the professor that met us at the door take our waitress off the floor for a HALF HOUR just after she greeted us. We sat and waited to give her our drink order. It was obvious to this professor knew that he should not have taken her away because he came over after and not only apologized but also gave us a $25 credit on our bill plus free deserts. Thanks but our meal was destroyed. We will never come again.
- Food great Service not as goodjaxsingchefDined on 7/25/2014I've eaten at several of the restaurants at the CIA over the years and I always go with low expectations because they're students. Most of the food at the restaurant was very good. We especially loved the table side liquid nitrogen ice cream preparation and the desserts that came with it. Totally fun! We went on the last day of school and the students seemed to already be on vacation. However, diners are paying for their lunch and still except expect to get a certain level of decent-for-even-students service and ours was really poor. I was disappointed that the student who were working on our table dropped the ball. I much preferred it on other visits when they were really trying hard to do a good job. And I would still return.Special Features:
- A summer lunch to rememberCharlotteDined on 7/23/2014The Bocuse restaurant is a wonderful experience. The dining room is light and airy with beautiful modern chandeliers and an antique table from Lyon at it's center. There is a glass wall where you can see the kitchen preparations being made. The food is contemporary French in an earth friendly way. The truffle vegetable soup with puff pastry was so good, I am still dreaming about it. The halibut was delicately prepared and served with a zucchini flower vegetable with a strong flavor that was a good contrast. The lemon bar desert was the perfect ending to a summer lunch.Special Features:
- Yes to impressBabyJaybeeDined on 7/22/2014The service was professional and the food was top notch. Everything was beautifully presented and our server was very informative. Lovely atmosphere both inside and out will impress any guest. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Bocuse with friendsJoe1218Dined on 7/22/2014Exciting menu selections. Delicious food, presented beautifully. Impeccable service by friendly staff. Fun desserts. I wish I lived closer to this gem so I could enjoy the food more often!Special Features:
- It's not ManhattanpennstreetDined on 7/22/2014Food presentation excellent and delicious but service was very rushed even though no one was waiting for the table. The staff was helpful and informative and attributed the hurried service to the chef's timing. The entree arrived as the appetizer was being removed. This was our most disappointing experience at CIA and we've dined there on numerous occasions.Special Features: