The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY 12538Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bocuserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 845-471-6608x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
Dinner: 6–8:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
Sleek and strikingly contemporary, this French restaurant is named for the most famous chef in France, Paul Bocuse. The Bocuse Restaurant re-imagines the execution of classic French cuisine through the lens of ultra-modern cooking techniques, brings a new style of casual yet sophisticated service, and offers a breathtaking architectural interior design. With an exceptional French wine list and innovative cocktail program, The Bocuse Restaurant is a unique and exciting, world class dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America - Best Restaurants in Hyde Park ›
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America reviews from OpenTable diners
374 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (282)special occasion (275)notable wine list (141)great for lunch (127)romantic (99)scenic view (91)good for groups (78)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (21)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- This is a TEACHING restaurant!KCCoupleDined on 10/29/2014There are a lot of reviews for the various restaurants of the CIA that are not very complimentary. I think if you go to any of these restaurants, you must be aware that these are students and this is where they are learning so therre are bound to be mistakes. There were 4 people in our group-3 of us had artic chard and those who did said it was wonderful' I had nalibut. It was very nicely cooked but (for some reason) extremely salty. Otherwise, food was excellent, but not really "classic French".The young woman who served us was gracious, but did bring the wrong bottle of wine and had a do-over on that one. It was her first time decanting wine and she did a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceIrishEyes100Dined on 10/29/2014Dining at the Bocuse Restaurant at the Culinary Institute of America was a treat in so many ways. The food was imaginative, delicious, fresh and all around fabulous. The setting in the Catskills is gorgeous in late fall, making the trip there a pleasure in itself. We enjoyed talking to the wait staff, all of whom were in their last weeks of "interning" in the restaurant before graduating in November. Prices are very reasonable, especially the wine, and the tip of 17% added automatically; the money goes to scholarships for CIA students. Such a nice way to end a memorable meal.Special Features:
- Dr. LouOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014You will not find better created dishes anywhere and the staff of young people (students at The Culinary Institute) are being trained in the traditional, and correct in my opinion, fashion...you will never hear "no problem" as a response to a request.Very comfortable seating. Dinner reservations usually have to be made some time ahead, but it's well worth it. Highly recommended. Bon apetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the CIAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Food was very good, presentation of the food was very attractive. Service was very good. Overall a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/28/2014The food and service were outstanding. The wine list was also outstanding. The noise level was acceptable. The desert and desert presentation were unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CIA BocuseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2014We had been looking forward to dining at CIA for a long time. Bocuse did not disappoint. We chose the 3 course pre fixe option. The choices for the 3 courses were limited but varied in the types of food. My wife had the black truffle soup and I had the lobster appetizer both were excellent. For our main courses we had poached halibut and braised rabbit, again both delicious. Our desserts were a lemon bar with ice cream and caramelized apple with ice cream . Coffee was offered but we are not fans of French press coffee so we opted for brewed loose tea. The service was attentive with ready explanations about the food and its' preparation. It was an extremely enjoyable dining experience. I would highly recommend Bocuse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experience!shopndineDined on 10/28/2014The service was excellent with polite waitstaff going the extra mile to please all. Food was also excellent, both in quality and presentation. Wouldn't hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to the textbook.RichardDined on 10/28/2014Perhaps because we are aware of the fact that we were in the setting of a great gourmet restaurant student environment,we were more aware of the faults. At each course plates were presented to the wrong diner at our party of four. Even when two dinners were sent back for being cold they got it wrong. Plates were attempted to be cleared before everyone was finished. Clearing of plates was noisy-never happens in fine restaurants. The food itself was very good and imaginative. Presentation lovely. Nice wine offerings at low prices. Overall I would recommend but don't expect too much.Special Features:
- A very memorable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014We celebrated a birthday here. Loved the food and the friendly service. Pacing of service could be improved. Appetizer arrived before the wine. Table side ice cream treats is a show stopper, and the ice cream was memorable--the best I have ever had. The mini treats were all delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LesterVIPDined on 10/25/2014This was outstanding in all respects, the students did an awesome jobSpecial Features:
- Exceptional dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Went to The Bocuse for my sister's birthday for a Saturday lunch. The food from appetizers to entrees and then desert were outstanding in presentation and taste. Mentioned to our waiter that it was my sister's birthday. What was brought out along with the desert was a flat white chocolate bar with a 'Happy Birthday' inscription in brown chocolate syrup. The table-side ice cream was an eye catching experience. Kudos to the CIA and your excellent student staff.Special Features:
- WONDERFULOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderful time, lunch was amazing and will be back soonSpecial Features:
- Bocuse Forgot SomethingWandererVIPDined on 10/24/2014The dining here is fine and in truth exceptional. CIA teaches not only food preparation but prepares it's students for the hospitality business as well. The abrupt disruption of our special occasion meal due to a fire or to a poorly timed fire drill evacuation led to neither an explanation nor apology upon our return to table over 30 minutes later. So, while we experienced a fine meal albeit with a severe disruption, the hospitality part seemed to be missing in the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceAlumnivisitorDined on 10/24/2014Was my first time there since its renovation. I have not been there for a long time although I am a 1983 graduate of the CIA. Was fun seeing (and commiserating with) the student servers. They put so much earnest effort into what they do. The food itself was well executed and presented and the quality of ingredients was top notch. One caveat is the portions were "Top Chef" sized so expect to order more than just the main entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the InstituteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014We ( a party of 4) ate Lunch on Friday, October 24. The food was very good but really pricey and we had to order an appetizer, entree, and dessert before we even felt we had a good meal. A lot of plate showing around the food. I guess what topped it all off was the fire alarms going off and getting put out of the restaurant before we were ready to leave. We had to wait 30-45 minutes outside and then paid full price for the meal. No good restaurant in its right mind would ever do that. Its the last time for me eating there also.Special Features:
- Fantastic FeastTonysTasteDined on 10/24/2014This was our first visit to the CIA and the Bocuse Restaurant as well. This newly renovated space was roomy, airy, and pleasant. The seating was very comfortable as well. The service was attentive and professional. The dining presentations were spectacular and the flavors myriad. This will not be our last visit; we plan to return in the Spring to do this delightful and delicious experience again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JTStDined on 10/23/2014Always a great time and a great meal at the CIA. Especially good prices on good wines.Special Features:
- Mixed reactionoldruth13Dined on 10/23/2014I'm afraid I miss the special atmosphere of the Escoffier restaurant. I think it's pretty incredible to charge th prices you have in a restaurant that doesn't even have tablecloths. The place mats are inadequate---drink glasses don't fit on them and you end up with your sweating drink glass on the wooden table top. The wait staff was very attentive and we had no criticism of the service. The portions were ludicrously small---the desserts almost made us laugh out loud. That lemon bar was so tiny it was about the right size for a 2-year old. Everything was delicious, but we all left the restaurant hungry and stopped for ice cream on our way home. When we return, we'll go to American Bounty. We also have lunch at the Café often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4wineDined on 10/23/2014Our favorite of the CIA restaurants. Had a wonderful time. The students have great knowledge of the food and wine. Much more attention is given to patrons. The food was superb from start to finish. Looking forward to another wonderful experience at the Bocuse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dr. Lawrence MamiyaHawaiianshakaDined on 10/22/2014Excellent French festival. The food was outstanding as was the decor and service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!momfoodieDined on 10/22/2014I took my 17 year old daughter here for dinner when a prix fix menu was offered thinking this might be the only time we ever get to a fancy French restaurant. The food was amazing! Of course no disappointments there! The service was great and the restaurant beautiful. We were seated very close to the kitchen and could see some of the work being done and how the service was accomplished like clockwork. I think our favorite thing about all the dishes were the sauces. Each one complimented the dish served perfectly. We had a dish with froi gras bread pudding on it. I wasn't sure she would eat it so i didn't tell my daughter what it was. The manager came over and explained it to her and she still loved it! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portion issueOrtiepokDined on 10/22/2014While the food was delicious, the entrée portion seemed incredibly small.Special Features:
- Quality not quantityJimkaDined on 10/17/2014A little pricey, however quality and taste of food outstanding. Service could have been a little better (our waiter forgot something twice) and portions extremely small (I guess it's quality not quantity). American Bounty still my favorite at CIA!Special Features:
- all we'd hoped forMikeDined on 10/16/2014The food was interesting and mostly exceptional - sometimes a little precious, but always enjoyable. This was our first time, and we'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near Perfection - Small ScalesloochDined on 10/15/2014Every dish was perfect -- a combination of flavors that was mysterious and satisfying. The wine list was outstanding. The service was that wonderful combination at the CIA -- attentive, almost overwhelming attention combined with friendliness and companionship with the students. The portions are small but excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative,innovative and deliciousmarilVIPDined on 10/15/2014The menu is interesting and the presentation is outstanding. My husband and I ordered the breast of duck and the article char. Both were arranged beautifully on the plate and accompanied by interesting vegetables and outstanding sauces. The table side preparation of ice cream for two, was unique and delicious and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- OutstandingmikekDined on 10/15/2014CIA never fails to impress. Excellent food, exceptional service from a premier culinary school.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mont BlancHouserollsDined on 10/15/2014Six of us lunched. All said the food and wine were excellent and the service friendly and efficient. The Bocuse is an excellent restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely experience!Maggie41Dined on 10/11/2014Our party of four thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at The Bocuse and visit to the CIA, an event we had looked forward to for several months. Two of our party had the duck which they said was quite good. I had the vegetarian meal which, unfortunately, was not as tasty as I had expected. The fourth of our party had the fish dish which she said was very good. Appetizers were wonderful. Dessert (the table side ice cream) was the highlight of the meal. Presentation of all dishes was superb! Student staff were knowledgeable, professional and pleasantly friendly. We do plan to return to the CIA to experience one of the other restaurants when we next return to the area.Special Features:
- I Feel the Passion!elsieADined on 10/10/2014I wonder why my attempt to book in Bocuse fails all the time as I do it on my impulse. So I finally planned and book weeks ahead and Wahlah!!!! What an experience from the graduating students of CIA. Not only the food is good and the service is excellent - I feel the passion everywhere. Keep it up CIA and I will book my next one again!Special Features:
- Fun Enjoyable EveningdfryVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great place to have a wonderful meal by up-and-coming chefs. The crab and the lobster appetizers were great. Husband really enjoyed his Arctic char, our son's halibut and my duck were very nice. Best dishes were the black truffle soup with puff pastry and the dessert sampler with ice cream made at your table. Fun, enjoyable evening. Excellent service.
- The Food was a disappointment.wishitwerebetterVIPDined on 10/10/2014Small portions and gimmicks like foam and tableside ice cream made with liquid nitrogen could not cover the lack of skill on the preparation. The poached fish was dry, flavorless and without seasoning while the stuffed zucchini bloom was salted to death. The butter poached lobster portion was small and the lobster overcooked with a lack of seasoning. The steak special was good but again gimmicks with the sauce and a tiny portion. The service was excellent though but the food was more flair than quality. You would think a culinary school would teach simple great preperation of great quality ingredients and let the food speak for itself. Instead you get to see a poorly executed episode of Iron Chef with a gimmicky contestant in charge.
- Excellent Food, Service & Value.ENLfromHawaiiDined on 10/10/2014We ate at both the American Bounty and Bocuse and which AB was great, ourbexperirnce at Bocuse was outstanding. If was formal and proper, but welcoming and comfortable. The student servers were motivated and attentive and would answer and and all questions and requests. The food was beautiful and delicious. Portioned well and our end total was surprising reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceLinspjDined on 10/10/2014Going to the Culinary Institute in itself is a treat. This my first time at Bocuse and it was every bit the experience I thought it would be. The food is a feast for the eyes and the favors are a pary in your mouth. They create dishes that I would never think of doing. The foods that they mix together are imaginative and delicious. My dessert was like a little show at the table. The staff is very attentive and pleasant. I love to hear the back stories of the staff to hear what brought them to the institute. They are all willing to share their love of cooking and creating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The service was very sub par for the CIA. It was a bit disappointing. The food was fantastic however.Special Features:
- PeggyDined on 10/10/2014Food and service were excellent. However I'm not sure about value for money Some of the portions were small even for a high end restaurant and two of the men I was dining with had two appetizers and an entree and still could have eaten more The foie gras was one of the best I've ever had and our young waiter was charming and tried very hard to make everything workSpecial Features:
- Never Been BetterbeatnikprofDined on 10/10/2014I've dined at Bocuse about five times before, and it has always been excellent. This visit even surpassed the usual high quality. Everything was simply extraordinary: the chilled yellow tomato soup, the duck breast with hazelnut paste and rainbow Swiss chard, and the carrot goat cheesecake. Stunning. Bocuse has become my favorite restaurant full stop.Special Features:
- LionMomDined on 10/10/2014Great experience but awfully expensive! Food and service was outstanding but the price makes it limited to only the very well off. Some sample platters of entrees and desserts would be nice so we can enjoy a variety of options since we are paying premium price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great ExperienceDrLewieDined on 10/9/2014We ate here a couple of weeks before the current student staff would graduate. This was a very good value and a high-quality dining experience. I couldn't help but wonder how it might have been if we were there during the first week of the students' rotation in Bocuse rather than at the end. The only negative was that the rolls and bread were cold. I prefer warm bread with dinner. The duck I had was tender and tasty, and the desert was wonderful. We would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyyummyyummyDined on 10/9/2014How could it take tAlso was never offered coffee with dessert and had to wave someone downSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.