The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY 12538Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bocuserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 845-471-6608x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
Dinner: 6–8:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
Sleek and strikingly contemporary, this French restaurant is named for the most famous chef in France, Paul Bocuse. The Bocuse Restaurant re-imagines the execution of classic French cuisine through the lens of ultra-modern cooking techniques, brings a new style of casual yet sophisticated service, and offers a breathtaking architectural interior design. With an exceptional French wine list and innovative cocktail program, The Bocuse Restaurant is a unique and exciting, world class dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America - Best Restaurants in Hyde Park ›
The Bocuse Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America reviews from OpenTable diners
360 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (267)special occasion (266)notable wine list (131)great for lunch (125)romantic (105)scenic view (98)good for groups (71)neighborhood gem (43)hot spot (17)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Le BocuseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Fine dining with what almost seems like rehearsed staff because their synchronization is pleasant and delights anyone's eyes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014We were celebrating our 48th anniversary and wanted a restaurant to fit the occasion. The servers very professional and extremely helpful in the selection of wine and describing the different food choices. We both had the lobster appetizer, which was amazing! My husband had the halibut and I had the fillet; entrées were beautifully presented and cooked to perfection. Dessert was very enjoyable. We look forward to coming back! The students were to graduate in two days. They have been well prepared by the CIA to delight the most discriminating palates. Congratulations to all!Special Features:
- A Lovely ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Lunch at Bocuse is a lovely experience and perhaps one of the great bargains in the Hudson Valley--a three course lunch of beautifully prepared and presented food with wonderful choices for $35.00. Wines are very reasonably priced. Service by eager to please CIA students is attentive and friendly. We will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014Five star food and service. We even got a brief tour of the kitchen - probably because it had quieted down by the time of our late seating.Special Features:
- Delightful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Delightful describes the presentation, food, students, and admosphereSpecial Features:
- newlyweds105OVIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was great. The brides's beef was ordered medium rare and came medium and they imediately replaced it with a perfectly cooked delicious medium rare steak. Rabbit was great. Foie gras perfect. Truffle soup was a broth and exremely tasty - light and flavorful. Perfect for early fall. Desert was wonderful - over the top. Lavendar ice cream made tablesid in 45 seconds was not only theater, it was great creamy ice cream and the other deserts were wonderful. Service was good, not polished - these are students - but attentive and helpful. enyoyed it very much.Special Features:
- Great date-night dinner!DiningInHudsonValleyDined on 9/13/2014The food was fabulous and matched by the service and ambiance! Will definitely visit again as well as try the other restaurants available at CIA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExtraordinaryDaMinManVIPDined on 9/13/2014I went for a Saturday lunch with my fiance'. We are foodies and prefer fine dining. We always wanted to go to the 'Harvard of Chefs' for a meal, and we were not disappointed. The food was perhaps some of the best we've ever eaten, certainly rivaling meals we've had at Del Posto. The servers seemed a little nervous with some dropped forks, and things weren't coming off the table until the next course arrived, causing our server to struggle. The table side ice cream and treats were stunning, and delicious. HIGHLY recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Friday NightPartyof5Dined on 9/12/2014the The Cold Yellow Tomato Soup was a real find. I just loved it. I ordered the steak as an entrée and it was cooked to perfection and the sauce it was served with was delicious. Two members of the party ordered chicken and found it to be a very generous and very delicious portion. The Black Truffle Soup and the Lobster appetizer each received rave reviews also. Of course, the ice cream show, as always, is the perfect way to end the evening and it was wonderful. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, problem with serviceStevieDined on 9/12/2014Server was hard to understand and couldn't describe a dish for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice at tentative serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014You need to work on serving tea Felt like the French cuisine going after the EnglishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The food was great. We celebrated my wife's birthday and she enjoyed the food, the views, and the wonderful students who took care of us!Special Features:
- BD celebrationDotsDined on 9/12/2014This was my first luncheon at Bocuse Restaurant, there to celebrate a friend's birthday. What a wonderful experience. When making reservations I noted that it was a birthday lunch and asked if they could acknowledge my friend in some way. To our delight while waiting for our table side lavender ice cream to freeze !! a small tray of pastrries with a Happy Birthday note was placed on the table. Lovely touch (without even a reminder)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday nite outDiner46Dined on 9/11/2014Easy to make...and change...reservation. Student wait staff were attentive and able to answer questions about items on menu. Lovely presentations...I enjoyed the tenderloin and my dining companions loved the halibut. A very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthdaylunch912Dined on 9/11/2014We enjoyed our experience at CIA. Beautiful campus and buildings. We felt that lunch was a shade overpriced and that the portions were a bit small, especially dessert. In addition, we would have liked our server to be more knowledgeable on our choice of wines that accompanied our entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MountaindoctorDined on 9/11/2014The remodeled restaurant is now larger, lighter and the view of the student food preparation much better. The food is still excellent or even better than in the original Escoffier Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Great experience, something that should be experienced at least once. Cost was higher than what I was really wanting to pay. Would not go back based on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Star appetizer!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Bocuse is different from other restaurants because it is part of the educational program at the Culinary Institute. The ambiance and menu were outstanding. The opportunity to view the kitchen from our table added to the experience. The students were professional and enthusiastic. The only limitation was that our server, close to graduation, was not fluent in English and several times a supervisor had to assist her in explaining the dishes, understading our order, and finally in computing the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three generations delightedKdmoonDined on 9/10/2014My Mom, daughter and I celebrated a major birthday milestone over a delightful lunch on Wednesday. We started with champagne cocktails, savored our prix fix meal and finished with a decadent coffee cocktail. The lobster appetizer and steak main dish were tops on our list. The tableside ice cream is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch experiencefloridafoodieDined on 9/10/2014We loved having the students wait on us and being able to interact with them both about the food and about their studies. The food was excellent, service as well. The place is a bit noisy however, as there are all hard surfaces---something you find increasingly in young 'hot' restaurants. Loved it for lunch, but don't think it would be good for a romantic dinner.....Special Features:
- one glitchchefscompanionDined on 9/6/2014loved everything, except part of my chicken was raw. I didn't want to send it back because I had sent back the butter poached lobster last summer. I was eating with a retired chef who checked to make sure I was correct. I know I should have because that's hoe the students learn. I just didn't want any bumps or delay in the rest of the dining experience which was superb. I left the raw chicken exposed on the plate and the server looked liked they were shocked so I know they were aware. the severe forgot to give me a pen for the bill. I had none on me. I was given a pen immediately from another server when I asked.Special Features:
- Eat at BocuseChachDined on 9/5/2014Always exciting to go to Bocuse. This visit was day 1 for the new shift of students and they did not disappoint. Three cheers for the excellent preparation the CIA staff provides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food!AnnieDined on 9/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. It was very busy, a bit noisy--it was their graduation day. Some of the graduates' families ate there, in addition to other customers. We had to wait a little for our food, but did not mind at all. The student wait staff were so pleasant and earnest in their duties. Even though they were very busy they did not mind answering questions, or taking care whatever special request one had. The food was truly outstanding! Very nicely planned, great plate presentation, and best of all--tasted wonderful! It is pricey, so may not be ideal for a quick casual lunch, and it is not meant to be . However, the food is well worth the price. Judging from what we experienced, our dining future will be in good hands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ActiveMemaDined on 9/4/2014The food was wonderful as was the service. There was a lot of activity and our table and it was very close to another one but felt very private. Service was perfect. We never waited for anything but it was unobstuctively delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ronniekRONNIEKDined on 9/4/2014This was the first time dining at the CIA . Others had said the service and the food could be spotty. I thought it was wonderful. A big comfortable room. Great look and colour. The service was wonderful. All the food that came out looked and smelled wonderful. It was a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocuse is the Best!!!zippyDined on 9/4/2014Bocuse is the French restaurant at the Culinary Institute. For those who love French food and appreciate excellent service in a beautiful environment then Bocuse is a must. My husband and I have eaten there on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed. The food is prepared by students and is served by students. Their goal is to give each diner a wonderful, unforgettable dining experience. The food is exquisitely prepared and each dish is a work of art. The menu changes from time to time but whether I've eaten Alaskan char, tuna, filet mignon or duck, it's all been a delectable treat.Special Features:
- normaandbarryDined on 9/3/2014The presentation was terrific The service friendly and attentive Some of the combinations of ingredients were not pleasing to my tasteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Excellent culinary adventure. Very nice place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd timeTravelerDined on 9/3/2014This is my second time to Bocuse within a a short period of time because the dining experience is wonderful. Previously I had never been to a French restaurant because I thought the food would be heavy with creamy sauces. That is not the case with Bocuse. I recommend the Prix Fixe meals, but even at the regular prices you would not receive such a wonderful meal at such a great price at any other restaurant.Special Features:
- Best in the Hudson River ValleybrucefrankDined on 9/3/2014If we only had one day to spend in the Hudson River Valley (typically we stay longer, however), we would undeniably choose Bocuse as our single dining destination. Excellence is obviously the goal of both the kitchen and front of house, and is invariably achieved. We were fortunate during this visit to be seated next to the preparation area, separated only by glass - it was a marvel to see the precision and attention to detail of each of the team, many of whom are students. At least 3 people were involved in preparing my wife's innovative dessert, the exotic Nougat Glacé. Prices, including wine, are very reasonable for such an unforgettable dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Night OutJRD63Dined on 9/2/2014Celebrating our daughters birthday. Well rounded selection of interesting appetizers and entries. Get the table side ice cream- it comes with a bunch of nice extras.Special Features:
- School never tasted so goodAmafoodieDined on 9/2/2014Excellent, creative French cooking, new ideas, classically prepared and well presented!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we hadn't waited to try CIANikki57Dined on 8/29/2014Impressive wine list , delicious cocktails ... Fresh ingredients expertly prepared. Lobster appetizer and heirloom tomatoes were excellent. Dramatic dessert preparation . Entrees were " good" but didn't live up to the first and last act. But definitely can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CIA is Always InterestingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Remembering this is a school, you must expect that there will be some rough edges in food and service. Having said that, is is always and interesting visit and one that should not be missed.Special Features:
- A special place and meal!HappydinerDined on 8/29/2014Service was excellent. The lobster appetizer was PERFECT! The steak filet was perfection! The dessert left a lot to be desired. It was very creative in its presentation, but the complex dessert missed its mark. The little treats that came along with the bill were better than the desert The new interior design is nice, but the tables are so close to each other that even the wait staff had great difficulty trying to serve us our food.Special Features:
- Great food. Iffy service.SteveFVIPDined on 8/28/2014Our food was terrific and beautifully plated. Our waitress had no clue about service. Her knowledge of what was in the dishes and her complete lack of knowledge of their wines was amateur. The fact that she was graduating in a few weeks does not put a good light on the school.Special Features:
- DickCDined on 8/27/2014Well worth dining here. Make an effort to come. One must understand and appreciate that this is an educational institution. The young people who attend here are learning. They are enthusiastic and well intentioned. Sometimes things don't go exactly as intended. Sometimes an "oops" makes the best learning experience for the student.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CIA BocuseGGoodwinDined on 8/27/2014Went there for my birthday, what a treat! Food was delicious, though expected nothing less at the CIA! Choice of bread sourdough or french both we great, the french rolls were hot which to me made them better. My brother had the lobster appetizer he said it was delicious. Our entrees were just wonderful, still thinking about the jus mixed with the potatoes and meat with every bite. I had the tenderloin with smoked potatoes though I didn't taste the smoke, they were still great. The dish also had grape tomatoes on top that had been roasted but they were so sweet they tasted as though they had been candied. The piece of meat could've been a little thicker but other than that it was fabulous. Definitely would return!Special Features:
- Pleasant experience.sophianyDined on 8/27/2014Appreciated the enthusiastic service. The grounds are great before and after dinner. Food preparation quite good in presentation and flavors. Only negative; entrée arrived to quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Service So-soOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/27/2014OK - you know you are at a teaching restaurant when you go in...so I'm willing to be VERY forgiving of service and food. The food was wonderful, if not a little too "trying to be different". Trying something new is great. Sometimes it really hits a home run (the local chicken was far from bland, and was perfect!), the green tea/red bean dessert was absolutely forgettable. The food is worth going there for! The service, however, you need to be extremely forgiving for. We ordered a fine bottle of red, a bottle of white arrived. We were told it was the bottle we ordered (user error), and then showed them on the carte that we were not wrong. Food dropped on the lap of client. Food did arrive at all the same time, which was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.