The Boathouse at Sunday Park
4602 Millridge Parkway
Midlothian, VA 23112Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Boathouse at Sunday Park
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boathouserichmond.com/
- Phone: 8047442545x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Nightly at 5:00 pm, Friday Service Begin at 3:00 pm, Sunday Brunch from 10 am - 3 pm, Dinner Service available all day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Nelson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Boathouse at Sunday Park offers a choice of either lunch or dinner private party menus. Private rooms and private party menus are available for groups of 16 to 150 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Joanne Bogese 8047442545x
- Entertainment: Enjoy Ban Caribe every Friday Night in the summer and Folk Musician George Turman every Sunday Brunch.
- Special Events: Wednesday is Wine Night - A rotating list of five or six bottles, available for half price, selected from our Wine Spectator award winning wine list.
End of Work Week Celebration - Every Friday... 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
A word from The Boathouse at Sunday Park
The view and setting of Sunday Park, graced by a 1,700 acre lake, are the breath of fresh air that will make your festivities truly memorable. Join us at The Boathouse and enjoy great food, great service, beautiful surroundings and our Wine Spectator award winning wine list. The panoramic sunset views put you in a resort vacation state of mind. The Boathouse Restaurant provides unlimited ways for our guests to enjoy the day or evening; business meetings, rehearsal dinners, dinner and drinks on our lakefront deck or inside dining surrounded in our beautiful nautical atmosphere with our open-fire Wood Stone pizza oven. Our menu features an extensive raw bar, open-flamed prime steaks, fresh seafood and if that is not enough we have Neapolitan Wood Stone fired pizzas...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Boathouse at Sunday Park - Best Restaurants in Midlothian ›
The Boathouse at Sunday Park reviews from OpenTable diners
242 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (207)great for outdoor dining (195)special occasion (132)romantic (97)neighborhood gem (89)good for groups (86)great for brunch (71)vibrant bar scene (54)great for lunch (38)kid-friendly (33)fit for foodies (30)notable wine list (29)hot spot (25)late-night find (16)Show More
- EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Enjoyed our dinner on Sunday evening. Patio dining was wonderful as was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Change?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Food quality has gone down.. Have not been at this location for a awhile, always consistent, WHAT HAPPENED? Paid $12 For shrimp and grits and got 3 small shrimp???? Times are tight, but your not giving people value or quality food for there $$$. Won't b back unless someone else pays...Special Features:
- Lovely and very accessibleOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/31/2014The setting on the water is beautiful. I enjoyed brunch with two friends who use power wheelchairs. It was very easy to get to the patio in an area with a great view. The service was excellent, and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe BeasleyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Table of 4, food was good but NY Strip asked med, got well done (no Pink). Everything else was good. Food prep seemed a little slow but the ambiance and the view takes care of that to a point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014My husband and I both ordered the crab cakes. They were advertised as having zero fillers so we thought they would have some lump crab meat in them but they were more liked canned crab meat. We asked the waitress if they were broiled or fried and she didn't know. I don't understand how they could be advertised as guest favorites. For the price we paid we thought they would be much different. The potatoes and veggies were barely warm. But the setting was very nice being by the lake. We might go back sometime but would order another dish.Special Features:
- Good food / poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Second time going to The BoatHouse at Sunday park, second time in a row service was terrible. However the food and beer list was pretty good both times; so if you have about two plus hours to dine I would suggest it.Special Features:
- Horrible staff attitudefrequentdineroutDined on 8/29/2014We were seated outdoors in the sun. When we requested to be moved to one of the six empty tables that were in the shade, we were told by the hostess in an scolding tone to wait while they took care of some other people that had just arrived. We were then told that "the sun moves and our table would eventually be in the shade". When I pointed out that there were six unoccupied tables in the shade, I was told that they were completely booked with reservations, even though we had also made reservations. They would not make a simple table change and their attitude was insulting! When we left after my wife's birthday dinner, there were STILL three vacant tables in the shade!! We will not return and we will tell our friends about our visit.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The food and service was outstanding. I would recommend this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OwensgrandmaDined on 8/28/2014There were 4 of us and we all got something different to eat and everyone was very happy with the taste of the food. One person had fish tacos, one ribs, one the shrimp and grits and the last person had the scallops and shrimp pasta. We were all glad that we got each entree and would get them all again. I got french fries with my tacos and I don't eat them, but gave them to my husband. The only complaint that we had was the appetizer- fried green tomatoes were sliced too thin and all you could taste was the breading. We did leave that on the comment card so hopefully they will change the size of the tomatoes. They came with a delicious sauce. I want to go back and also want to try the Rockett's Landing location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedJeffDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant atmosphere was great in a beautiful setting by a lake. But the menu was very high priced and food was mediocre. Service lacked some as I never got my salad I ordered. Wouldn't recommend it. Boat House at Rockets Landing is much better!Special Features:
- DisappointedKMD1Dined on 8/21/2014Although the menu is limited, the items looked appetizing. I got the stuffed shrimp and they were pretty tasteless. The calamari was decent, I thought I remembered a pan-asian type of dip for those, but instead, a remoulade came with them - it was okay. The crab-puppies - again, disappointing. They really should call them hush puppies, not even a hint of crab flavor, and again, the same remoulade dip. It seems to have gone downhill a bit.Special Features:
- DisappointedOccasionalDinerDined on 8/19/2014We have visited the boathouse on a few occasions. In every case we found the food very mediocre. In this case the service wasn't the best as well it was clear we had a server that was very new. I manager never came by to ask us about our experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingGuinessDined on 8/18/2014We visited the Brandermill location at the request of my 12 year old to celebrate her birthday. We have dined at both the Rocketts Landing and Brandermill location on numerous occasions but have Always enjoyed the waterfront views when dining with the kids. We have always enjoyed our prior visits (food, service and atmosphere have always had us anxious to return) I'm not sure what happened on most recent visit, but my daughter asked a poignant question : "Daddy, if this was your first visit, would you ever come back?) I hope this was just an off nite, but the server was slow and lacked basic knowledge. The food, which has always been good, was quite frankly BAD. We actually sent my wife's back and should have sent mine back too! Next Time?Special Features:
- A Sunday Night Dinner On The LakeIrisheyes826VIPDined on 8/17/2014We visited with my son and his wife to celebrate their anniversary. In the past the meals have been very very good, but on this visit we were not overly impressed with the quality of our meals. My son ordered the lobster, which he was was good. My daughter in law had the chicken and she said it was not anyting like the last time she had it. Very bland. My pasta dish was just ok - pasta sauce tasted old and noodles were all stuck together like it had been cooked and left standing awhile. My husband had the mussels and the portion for the price was very small. All in all this visit was not one of the best - but we think it may have been the fact it was a Sunday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperSilverfreakDined on 8/17/2014Took a large group, out of town friends, and everyone enjoyed the evening. Thank goodness the weather cooperated. Wouldn't have wanted to be outside in typical Richmond weather. Sunset could have been better but don't guess the Boathouse could control that. Ask for my salmon to be cooked medium and it was. Someone came out from the kitchen to ask if it was ok. That was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful view, but omelet was dry.SharonADined on 8/17/2014Fantastic view of Swift Creek. Beautiful deck set in the woods and surrounded by flowers. However, the food is just so-so at best. I went for brunch and ordered the Chesapeake omelet which was VERY dry and not very flavorful. Other menu options may be better, but I would avoid ordering an omelet.Special Features:
- after proposal dinnerWilliamSDined on 8/16/2014I took my fiance to The Boathouse at Sunday Park a few hours after I proposed. I must say the ambiance is great- romantic low light, they honored my special request to be seated outdoors as well. Friendly staff and server. The food was great! I recommend the crab cake sandwich. We will be returning, very unique place and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER GOING BACK!GIBBYDined on 8/16/2014I was a frequent patron. Made reservations for a special occasion 30 day in advance. We were seated in bar. No other tables were available. We spent night telling unsavory bar clientele to get their buttocks out of my food! I will not go back again!!!
- Enjoyable EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014Great for outdoor dining with a nice lake view from a large deck. While the food was good, the menu was somewhat limited for seafood options. Just the basics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014I have been a regular at The Boathouse since the beginning and Kevin always continues to make improvements. The Friday night music add such a special note in the summer. The new menu is wonderful, too. There is no place like it in Richmond where you can take company from the other side of the river and they feel like they have gone on vacation.Special Features:
- Perfect Birthday CelebrationOut4TheNightDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I were celebrating his birthday and we couldn't have chosen a better place! We dined outside on the deck, overlooking the lake (Swift Creek Reservoir) and were treated to one of the most beautiful sunsets we've ever seen. We were fortunate to be there to hear the "island" sounds of "Ban Caribe", which added to the ambience! The food was absolutely outstanding. The "birthday boy" had the Baby Back Ribs and he raved about them. I had the Crab Cakes, for which The Boathouse is famous (for very good reason!). They are huge and have no fiiller (i.e. bread, crackers, etc.)...just all delicious lump crab meat! Our server surprised darling hubby with a dish of ice cream with a candle to mark the occasion, a very nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An incredible time!BellyBelleDined on 8/15/2014The boathouse was a fantastic experience! We had dined there before but were recently seated on the upper balcony outside, on a gorgeous night! It was romantic and fun and the food was out of this world! I recommend the crab stuffed shrimp to everyone. All in all, a vibrant yet intimate atmosphere and delicious food & drinks, incredibly nice service and a beautiful waterfront view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of two BoathousesJohnnCDined on 8/15/2014There are two Boathouse restaurants in Richmond. My wife and I finally made it to number two. It is located in the Brandermill subdivision (well to do) and seemed to be very well attended by the locals. The view on the lake is a western view, and bright sunlight made menu reading difficult. When asking for something shadier we would have been put nearer the steel drum band that was setting up. We stayed. Service was good. Food was 3 1/2 stars. Wine list was 3 1/2 as well. Deserts held nothing special. The first Boathouse (at Rocket's Landing) is still better by far.Special Features:
- Summer DiningLilletgirlDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful evening! Very busy, fast service good food. Great view of reservoir.Special Features:
- Great Place All The WaylovetodineoutDined on 8/8/2014Boathouse had a great staff from the very first moment we walked in. The hostess was great, our server was on point. The cook made our food divine, and the bartender made our drinks perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014This is the second time we have visited the Boathouse. All in all it was a great experience...but extremely loud. But considering it was free wine tasting night it was expected.Special Features:
- satcust2Dined on 8/5/2014The service and food at the Boathouse was very good. The seating was excellent with a view of the lake. The restaurant also offers outside dining which on a cooler day would have been good. We had reservations and were seated upon arrival with no waiting time. The help was very efficient and had the food out to us within a reasonable time period. I would recommend this dining experience.Special Features:
- Beautiful view and delicious mealsmileyonevaDined on 8/5/2014We sat on the deck overlooking the water and had seafood dinners. I had the broiled seafood combination and my friend had the stuffed shrimp. Great service, good food and terrific view.Special Features:
- Wish We Lived CloserOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014As wonderful as the food, beverages and ambience were (and boy oh boy, were they ever!), we were most impressed with the service. Every single person we came in contact with had a delightful personality and made us feel as though they were there just to make sure we had the best evening possible. They not only helped us, but they were helping each other make everyone's experience run smoothly. That is deal maker/breaker for us - even though the crab cakes were unrivaled, the oysters fresh and delectable, and the cucumber basil martini one of the best around. Make a reservation, but don't rule out the tall tables in the outside bar area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night with the girlsgoldieDined on 8/4/2014We had a group of 7 but only 5 stayed for dinner. Our server was wonderful!!! Very patient with us, attentive with out being bothersome. We arrived at 6:30pm and left after 9:30pm. We probably had one of the best and biggest tables outside on the dock. The view of the water and sunset was amazing. The calamari appetizer was wonderful and are drinks were cold and delicious. A couple of us had the fish tacos. They were OK. The salads were delicious. Fresh and yummy. The pizzas were also excellent. Since I had the fish tacos I'm not rating the food very high but everything else was wonderful I will be back but next time will order something else. Great place to go for a relaxing evening with friends.Special Features:
- Reid was amazing!!!7thanniversayDined on 8/4/2014I took my wife to the Boathouse for our 7th anniverary. They had flowers on the table with the gift I dropped off earlier in the day. Reid did and amazing job as our server. The bartender talked to us as well and gave us complimentary champayne. It was a very nice touch. We loved it. We will return often.Special Features:
- Mostly OKOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Atmosphere great, service good. Fried oysters and salad good. The chicken was too, too salty and was laid on top of the beans and mashed potatoes, which made them even more mashed. Not a practical plate layout. Didn't have time to have it re-done, but did advise the server and ate it anyway.Special Features:
- Sauté & SubstitutionsElliotDined on 8/2/2014I am on a diet which restricts potatoes. My choice of entre came with fresh cut fries. I asked if I could substitute the fries with a small side salad. I was told that items like fries cannot be substituted with a salad. I don't understand why as your price for fries and a small salad are the same $5. I think it is a poor decision not to allow this substitution as you are limiting your customer’s choices. I choose the sautéed spinach and was very disappointed as the spinach was drench in garlic butter. To sauté is to fry something in a light amount of fat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waterfront diningSleepUDined on 7/30/2014The Boathouse has beautiful views of the Swift Creek Reservoir from any seat. The menu is seafood based and offerings are good to very good. The cheese board is particularly good and the special seasonal salad with fresh tomatoes was delicious. The lively outdoor bar is popular for afterwork drinks. We enjoy dining at the Boathouse often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeronpointHeronpointDined on 7/29/2014Great evening with friends. We ate outside and the sun was setting and it was just beautiful. Food was great - salmon was delicious.Special Features:
- meh...bossslgDined on 7/27/2014Service was VERY mediocre, not great at all. Food was "good" but portions were small. Drinks from the bar were nothing special. Definitely not planning on going back amy time soon.
- Fantastic waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014I believe Charles was our waiter. He was absolutely wonderful. He told us about the specials so that I could hear what he was saying, and he described them. He brought our appetizers, our dinner on time and quickly, returned several times to make sure we were okay and to change our bottle of water. He described the new apple dessert so nicely that I got it and it was superb. He chatted with us for a little while when we were asking questions and he was very friendly and outgoing. I have given the five-star ratings and hope that he does well ---he's a wonderful person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014We ate dinner around 9:30pm and the weather was great, the view was great, and the food was great. The service by the waiter was a little slow, but the food made up for the slowness by the waiter. It was late so they might of had cleanup duties to perform so I am not harsh but just a little slow. I would recommend this place and go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014We are regulars. It's a great place on a nice evening at sunset. It was Friday night, they had a calypso band that was pleasing and not too load. We always find the staff very friendly. They do try to to 'upsell'. Unfortunately, the food needs an upgrade. The prices are a little on the high side, but I can live with that. I got my usual Shrimp and Grits (I've learned to stick with something I know is good). My wife got a crab cake sandwhich. It was undercooked (not good with seafood) and there was NO lump crab. We'll go back, but stick to food that can't be screwed up. (My wifes usual is a shrimp cocktail and a salad). We always enjoy the place despite the hit or miss food. I'd love to hear that the kitchen has new management.Special Features:
- Dont botherBratneceDined on 7/20/2014This was the worst dining experience in a long time. The only thing that went right was that we got seated. No one was assigned our table, yet there were 2 other servers taking care of the other 3 tables already seated. Food was inedible, as it had no flavor at all and greasey.Special Features: