The Boathouse at Saugatuck
521 Riverside Ave
Westport, CT 06880Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Boathouse at Saugatuck
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boathousect.com/
- Phone: (203) 227-3399
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:30pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine
A word from The Boathouse at Saugatuck
An exciting new "farm to table" restaurant with romantic views of the Saugatuck River.Continued
"Hiding in the Saugatuck Rowing Club, this Westport New American Farm to Table is the showcase for chef John Holzwarth's locavore cuisine."
"Hiding in the Saugatuck Rowing Club, this Westport New American Farm to Table is the showcase for chef John Holzwarth's locavore cuisine."
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Boathouse at Saugatuck - Best Restaurants in Westport ›
The Boathouse at Saugatuck reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (22)scenic view (22)romantic (14)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (11)great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (4)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Disappointing LunchLove4foodDined on 11/12/2014I have dined at The Boathouse for dinner and was generally pleased with the food. Lunch, however, was not as impressive. Lobster roll was a toasted bun with freshly boiled (somewhat tough) lobster that was almost tasteless. Good thin fries and slaw on the side, but the sandwich was very disappointing for $20. The best lobster roll in the area continues to be The Restaurant in Rowayton.Special Features:
- DeliciousfreshDined on 10/25/2014The service was slow but worth the wait. If you are not in a hurry, you are going to have a delicious meal with fresh ingredients and interesting combinations. Very generous portions so go hungry. Great menu and especially appreciated the variety of specials. It would have been better evening atmosphere if they dimmed the lights. It was too bright and perhaps more of the view could be seen if lights were dimmed.Special Features:
- Service LackingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/17/2014What should have been a wonderful experience was marred by bad service. In a no more than half full space, we waiting at every turn for attention. The food that came out of the kitchen was delicious so it really was a shame the service did not enhance, but detracted from what could have been an excellent experience.
- Great Lunch spotjackDined on 10/14/2014I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere on the outdoor deck. We had a delicious lunch and the views can't be beat. The new England Clam Choder was outstanding as well as the crab cakes. The wait staff were professional and always available. I would absolutely recommend The Boathouse to friends.Special Features:
- Simple but goodRBowDined on 10/10/2014We arrived and were first asked if we wanted to sit on the deck, which would have been fine if it were not 50 degrees, and wondered why we weren't offered one of the many vacant tables inside. The service and food were good, but not much beyond that. By the way, the other empty indoor tables never filled.Special Features:
- A great findKathid23VIPDined on 9/28/2014Had dinner here while visiting our son a college. It is very special. We felt very welcomed and the food was outstanding. They really went out of their way to please us.Special Features:
- Not greatDandRVIPDined on 9/19/2014My steak came out raw ... Twice. No one bothered to ask how it was the second time. Everything else was good. The service staff are very kind but overworked; thus they are forced to provide poor service.
- yummy, lovely viewBetsyknitVIPDined on 9/18/2014We ate here for lunch, overlooking the river. It was pretty empty, so we sat outside on a lovely day. The food was very good -- I had chickpea soup with a bit of truffle (wow), and a farro and grilled veggie salad; my friend had the same salad and soft shell crabs. Service was attentive but not intrusive. I will go back, especially on a pretty day.Special Features:
- Performs at a high levelRoby22VIPDined on 9/16/2014...both as to service and food. We were offered the outdoor terrace overlooking the river. It was just warm enough to accept and it really added to the evening. Each of the three of us had an outstanding meal. Service was crisp without being intrusive. And cannot forget to mention the excellent Cosmos with which we kicked off.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014My friend and I had the steak salad . We were terribly disappointed because the meat was tough and had very little flavor. The bread was still frozen in the middle. The experience left us feeling that we will never come back.
- Great Outdoor Dining SpotBooWhoDined on 8/16/2014We had a lovely dinner, outside on a summer night overlooking the river. The food was very good, with especially good appetizers and salads (the baby kale salad was delicious). Service was initially fine, but there was a lack of follow-up after the first course was served, and our entrees were presented to the wrong table. Although apologetic, I think that the overall service level is not up to the level of the food or the ambience.Special Features:
- Delicious food and great serviceCharjreidDined on 8/16/2014Went for anniversary couldn't decide on dinner options - they gave me 2 Small plates- very nice! Small restaurant with nice outdoor diningSpecial Features:
- Hideaway123abcVIPDined on 8/16/2014Not being from the area we were looking for a place on the water with a view & we found it. We were greeted as though we were long time customers & seated outside with a picture perfect view. The service was friendly & accommodating. The Executive Chief even stopped by to say hello & discuss the days specials. We each ordered something different, the rack of lamb was succulent, the steak was perfectly cooked, the only disappointment was the seafood risotto, the consistency was great but the taste was very bland & it seemed to be missing the seafood. There were a few small pieces of I think lobster, maybe some chopped up shrimp, & oh yes 2 pieces of calamari. Not the seafood I expected. Otherwise a perfect evening, we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good!SusieQVIPDined on 8/1/2014We always enjoy our dinners at The Boathouse. Good food, beautiful setting, and great friendly service. More special dining than many other places locally. We ate on the covered porch overlooking the river last time we were there. Outside tables not guaranteed, however. First come, first served. The dining room is also beautiful-you feel you are in a boat house.Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the The Boathouse at Saugatuck reviews archive.
- Great settingjlminvVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food was very good. Hope this operator stays for awhile. Sunset on the patio is beautiful. Everyone was on the patio. No one inside the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tranquil DiningBrenVIPDined on 7/12/2014We ate outside on their upstairs deck. It was a lovely summer evening, with a great view. The server,Brian was charming and very efficient. We shared a wonderful baby kale salad. Our entrees were both delicious. We had our first iced cappuccinos with a delicious chocolate dessert. We were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scottVIPDined on 7/11/2014excellent dinner. food was very good, the location was superb and the service was also top notch...Special Features:
- Great experience, slower serviceLaurDined on 6/28/2014This place was such a great find! Not only is the boathouse itself beautiful, but the food was delicious. We tried several salads, which were each seasonal and delicious. The short ribs with cheddar grits appetizer was a hit, and my vegetarian risotto was delicious and rich. The service was very friendly but on the slower side, which suited us- no need to rush away from the pretty view. However, I wouldn't go if you're in a rush.Special Features:
- Excellent MealmostlyfishVIPDined on 6/27/2014Everything was fresh and good. Kale salad, lobster bisque, oysters were all wonderful. Bronzino was great. Will definitely go back. It's a lovely summer dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Spot !2todineVIPDined on 5/31/2014This has been our second trip to The Boathouse. Once again every thing was lovely. Since the weather cooperated we sat outside with a lovely view of the river below us. My soft shell crabs were done to perfection as well as our guest's steak and my husband's ravioli . We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Love this placepalatepleaserDined on 5/28/2014We've never been there on the weekends but during the week you can eat really well prepared food, get very attentive service and actually not have to shout or strain to listen to your companion(s). The atmosphere is very pleasant, nicely decorated with a "rowing" theme yet elegant with table cloths and if I remember, candlelight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jsoodsVIPDined on 5/24/2014Ambience and food were both outstanding. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/20/2014Dont take the 3 stars to mean it wasnt good. It was but it wasn't anything special, except for the view. We ate out on the deck and that definitely makes it worth going. The starter of smoked salmon on micro greens was very good. The couscous salad for a main was good but should have had more than 3 small shrimp for the price. They were very accommodating to make iced mochas for us which were not on the menu.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014We had Saturday dinner at The Boathouse and weren't expecting to be offered a table outside. It was a beautiful evening and we had dinner overlooking the Saugatuck River. The food was very good. We highly recommend it and will return often.Special Features:
- The View's the ThingGastroGooseDined on 5/11/2014Dining during daylight hours shows this place off the best as it is on the river in Westport, CT that lead to the ocean, with fine views of water, rowing skulls, and wildlife. The menu is pricey with generous portions and could use inspiration to match the fine setting. Lobster Rolls were plump and well packed, but the menu could use a bit more options for selection. Good wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTomWDined on 5/3/2014Nothing remarkable about the food. Did not come close to living up to expectations.Special Features:
- Great food on the Saugatuck RiverLongshoreGolferDined on 4/18/2014A special spot within the Saugatuck Rowing Club. Located on the second floor overlooking the Saugatuck River. The restaurant offers a generous outdoor area plus a cozy dining room. Menu is always changing but they offer fresh fish and many delicious Italian specialties. The former service bar now has a few seats so you can enjoy a drink before going to the table. Dishes are on the small side so anyone expecting large plates will be disappointed. I like the creativity of the kitchen. The views will wow anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Spot !2todineVIPDined on 4/12/2014We tried here on a whim. It was a very pleasant and enjoyable evening , a wonderful surprise ! The food was well prepared, fresh tasty and imaginative. There is a lovely view of the river and as a bonus that is quite rare these days, we were able to converse over dinner and not shout to be heard. We are definitely going to add The Boathouse to our frequent to dine list.Special Features:
- Loved itCruieserDined on 4/4/2014Great food, great view...We loved it. The service was great, waitstaff was very friendly.Special Features:
- Came across this restaurantMulvaneVIPDined on 3/15/2014Came across this restaurant while looking at colleges in the area. What a nice surprise. Food was very good and the prices were reasonable. When we arrived and saw that it was located in a private club, we thought we might not be appropriately dressed, however, to our surprise it was casual. Nice dining room, and a god wine list as well. I had the fettucine with lobster which was tasty. The steaks were prepared nicely and the plates were clean before they were returned to the kitchen! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where have you been?kewdigitalDined on 2/22/2014We have driven by this great spot over 1000 times, but never stopped in for dinner. It happen to have an opening for 4 on a Saturday night, so we gave it a shot. That was a great move...The building is spectacular, the food wonderful, the service was attentive. All in all a wonderful evening with friends. I cant wait to go back and have a glass of wine looking aqt the river.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014This restaurant was simply amazing. I went with my girlfriend for valentines day and we loved it. The was perfect, the service was great! We will definitely be going back soon and recommending it to everyone we know! We have a new favorite spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic valentines dinnerMichaelVIPDined on 2/14/2014we really enjoyed the food, service and location. great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas EveMartianDined on 12/24/2013My family traditionally goes out on Christmas Eve. It's always a gamble because staff would usually rather be at home. The folks at the Boathouse welcomed us all warmly - 8 guests including a 3 and 6 year old. They did not have a children's menu but came out with a list of 8 kid-friendly items that the little ones could happily chose from. The adult options were great - and everything that was ordered was above and beyond. Gorgeous views...the snow started falling during the meal...and all had a good night.Special Features:
- Pricey but PrettyLee2013Dined on 12/11/2013Venison Ossobucco was delicious and my companion enjoyed the vegetarian Rissoto. Nice setting. Went on a Wednesday night and we were one of two couples there. Cannoli dessert was hard and stale.Special Features:
- Good food slow serviceSusieQVIPDined on 11/23/2013We had dinner last Saturday night. The restaurant was full and ambiance lovely. The waiter offered to open a bottle so I could have a glass even though the wine I chose was not sold by the glass. However, after that the service slipped We waited quite a long time to even have our order taken and then probable didn't get served for at least an hour after we arrived. Went through two bread baskets! We waited again for a coffee and dessert order so we all decided to pass. The food was very good but the wait staff was overwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mehwritegirl18VIPDined on 11/23/2013The Boathouse is a lovely spot with a beautiful view of the river. It is definitely popular with a glamorous crowd. However, our table of four found the food to be fairly tasteless and under seasoned, especially the branzino. The waiter forgot to bring my coffee, and fellow diners' coffee grew cold in the time it took for the waiter to finally bring mine. Ricotta cheesecake was terrible. It tasted very commercial and had the texture of regular cheesecake. The person who ordered the chocolate lava cake was pleased, however. Verdict? Don't bother.Special Features:
- special treatboboDined on 11/15/2013all was simply perfect. it is a 'must'go' for those who want to have a very special evening involving great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed hands, now a treasure!MorepleaseDined on 10/23/2013This restaurant has changed hands (again) and is now a treasure for Westport. It's in the home of the Saugatuck Rowing Club, and the decor and ambiance are appropriate -- not fancy, but classy, with high ceilings and well-spaced tables, so you don't have to put up with the typical Westport screaming decibel level. Service is attentive but not obtrusive. The food (and wine) selection is not extensive, but that gives the chef the chance to focus on each individual dish, made with the best fresh ingredients and real culinary artistry -- delicious! There's also a nice balcony for dining with a great view over the lovely river in warm weather.Special Features:
- Menu a little plainJojoDined on 10/11/2013With all of the choices in Westport, the menu is a little bare. I cannot eat shellfish, and there were very few items to choose from. Goat cheese salad had too much lemon juice. Tenderloin special was not tender.Special Features: