The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing
4708 E Main Street
Richmond, VA 23231Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://boathouserva.com/
- Phone: (804) 622-2628
- Hours of Operation:
Open Nightly at 5:00 pm
Friday Service Begins at 3:00 pm
Saturday Service Begins at 12:00noon
Sunday Brunch 10 am - 2:30 pm, Dinner Service beginning at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With private rooms for 16 to 200, panoramic views of the Richmond skyline and James River, The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing is a unique location for a special event. Antique brick, industrial steel, and a modern decor give your guests a glimpse of Richmond's rich history and vibrant future.
- Private Party Contact: Bonnie Ball 8046222628x
A word from The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing
Get your taste buds ready. The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing has brought award-winning dining to the banks of the James River. The restaurant occupies the top floor of the recently restored Power Plant building, which once provided electricity for Richmond’s fleet of trolley cars. Rocketts Landing specializes in seafood as well as its signature wood-stone oven Gourmet Flatbreads. With indoor and outdoor dining, offering stunning views of the river and city skyline, The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing promises a truly one-of-a-kind, waterside dining experience never before available in Richmond.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing reviews from OpenTable diners
257 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (220)special occasion (169)great for outdoor dining (158)romantic (108)good for groups (107)fit for foodies (69)great for brunch (66)neighborhood gem (55)vibrant bar scene (55)hot spot (54)notable wine list (48)great for lunch (36)late-night find (22)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- RunnerRickDined on 11/18/2014Excellent food and service. I was quite impressed. The noise level was somewhat high even with a moderately sized crowd.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/17/2014Thank you for the support booking the reservation. Seeing the city with the night lights was a pretty scene.Special Features:
- Birthday treatTangorunnerDined on 11/16/2014We celebrated my husbands birthday here and were pleased with our dining experience. The openess of the expansive dining room and all the windows let you appreciate the view along the James river. We had great service all evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Only complaint is the noise level was very high on a Saturday night, however, some would enjoy this. Very energetic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not as good as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014The crab stuffed shrimp was over-cooked and plain. Shrimp was chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rvafoodieDined on 11/14/2014Although staff knew it was our anniversary, we were seated next to bar area which was loud at first (got quieter later) although there was plenty of seating available in other areas. The restaurant was never full while we were there. A little disappointed in the ambiance for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th wedding anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014We went for our 25th wedding anniversary. I had confirmed a table by the window with a view of the river and downtown. When we got there, they did not have our table. We were sat on the main aisle leading to the kitchen! The hostess did take notice that we were disappointed with the location of the table and as soon as a window table opened they set it up for us and came over to move us. Our meals were good but not really outstanding. I think we would go back for a lunch so we could see the view by day but I don't think we would return for a dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a visit to RichmondOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/10/2014The oysters were very good, but the accompaniments a little lacking - no mignonette - just vinegar for example. The wine list could use some beefing up to include more interesting affordable wines. The 'famous' crab cake left a lot to be desired. In spite of that, it was still an enjoyable place and the views are great -Special Features:
- Meet the parents...Sincere1981VIPDined on 11/9/2014It was a wonderful evening to meet my boyfriend's parents for the first time. The Boathouse provided great ambiance, food, and a beautiful sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for Early BirdsRVATrayDined on 11/9/2014We had tickets to see THE BOOK OF MORMON at 6:30 so our choices for an early reservation (4:30 pm) were limited, especially on a Sunday. The Boat House did not disappoint! We were seated at a table near the window with an incredible view. Drinks and Dinner (Norwegian Salmon for me, Filet for my husband) were wonderful, we had plenty of time to enjoy ourselves without feeling rushed, and made it to the theatre with time to spare. LOVE the new menu -- to be honest, I thought the old one was a bit pretentious. The only thing that could have made our (his) dining experience better was to have had the option of ordering one of the specials, mahi mahi, simply grilled instead of the way the chef was preparing it that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a disappointmentBarkyDined on 11/7/2014We chose this restaurant to meetwith a group of friends we had not seen in awhile. The place was noisy and it was hard to talk. The service was good. My husband ordered the seafood platter and the portions were small. Not worth the price. I ordered a salad. The bill came out to be about 50.00 person with tip. I would probably try some of the other Richmond restaurants before going back.Special Features:
- FabulousKristin23417Dined on 11/7/2014First time visit, everything was perfect. Amazing food, beer, and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialdjmjVIPDined on 11/7/2014The Boathouse was running a special dinner entrée, a pan-seared flounder topped with lump crab meat that was fabulous! A Friday night happy hour crowd can be a bit noisy but the outstanding food and service outweigh any negatives. Remains one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmospheresdotDined on 11/6/2014If u want to celebrate a special occasion or have a romantic date choose boathouse...great view over looking the James and the city sky lineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabuliciousYummmDined on 11/4/2014Great food! great service. I have been several times, so this one time was special because I took a friend who was totally blown away especially by the scenery. The table service made him beam all night. The boathouse is a great place for dining,conversation, food in a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balmy night dinnerPamRVIPDined on 11/4/2014We headed to the Boathouse to enjoy one of the last balmy evenings of the season. The restaurant did not disappoint. We had a table with a great view of the river and city lights. I had the Norwegian Salmon with mushrooms in a mustard sauce with asparagus substituted with no trouble from the rice on the menu. Prepared medium and very tasty! My date had the gumbo special with rice topped with 2 fried okra - he loved it! We both cleaned our plates and picked up after dinner drinks from the bar and headed to the outdoor deck to enjoy the night air and the sights. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Delicious brunch!DineRvaDined on 11/2/2014While dinner here may be more on the level of a special occasion, the brunch is quite reasonable and offers some great options. The raspberry bellini is a must but if you're looking for something spicy, the bloody mary is an excellent choice, too. Of course you can't beat the view of the river and the city skyline.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lvtoeatDined on 11/1/2014I was pleasantly surprised at how good this Restaurant is, the food well presented and the service excellent. If I had one comment it would be that they are about 10% higher then most area restaurants.Special Features:
- Back at a favorite spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014We took an architect friend, visiting Richmond for the first time, to the Boathouse because of its grand sunset view up the river towards the city skyline....as a re-purposed power station, we thought it was a fascinating location and structure to visit. We tasted various wines to be sure we found one that suited us all - our server was encouraging. We shared a dozen oysters to start. Then we had three different salads - all yummy. As entrees, our guest had the seared tuna over peanut udon noodles (noodles surprisingly sweet); I had the filet mignon with asparagus and mashed potatoes (potatoes too dry, vs creamy which I prefer); my husband the baby back ribs (outstanding). We shared autumnal gelatos for dessert. A very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiamondGirlDined on 10/30/2014Recently visited and was celebrating the retirement of a colleague. Tried the house special for the evening (mahi-mahi). Dish was tasty and cooked to perfection. Service was excellent. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the dishes on the menu and we based our selection on her recommendation. For dessert we had the gelato sampler. They were divine. Overall, we had a lovely evening, with good food and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- stynesDined on 10/29/2014I ordered the broiler seafood platter and what I received was two small scallops, two shrimps, and one crab cake all for $36.00. Although the scenic view was nice the food was not. This restaurant advertised lump crab meat in its crab cakes, however it was not. When I complained about not enough food for the price they brought me another one scallop and one shrimp. So if you have a medium appetite consider another restaurant, but if you care of only the view pick this boathouse that’s just about all you will get.Special Features:
- AwesomejessDined on 10/28/2014We went to the Boathouse to celebrate my wife's birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience. We have NO complaints!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningincharlotteDined on 10/26/2014Great service and food was delicious. Quiet and romantic outside.Special Features:
- nomorehungryDined on 10/26/2014My wife, daughter and I had a wonderful experience at the Boathouse. The omelette and waffle stations were fabulous, and the vegetarian eggs benedict was great, too. The biscuits were the lightest I've ever had. I am already planning another reason to visit Richmond so I can go to the Boathouse again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingRVAfoodieDined on 10/25/2014We've been to The Boathouse many times in the past. This was our first sub-par experience. The view is great and the wait staff is always fantastic. The restaurant is a little noisy during peak dinner hours and you have to raise your voice to talk to anyone at your table. This particular visit was a little disappoiting because we found the food to be a little off. We had two appetizers and four entrees. Both appetizers were much too salty (we even had one remade and it still too much salt) and two of the four entrees had much too much salt on them. However, the manager came over to check on us and took the extra time to make sure our experience was good. We'll give it another go soon, but too much salt will ruin any meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go - you will love itLifeisgoodVIPDined on 10/19/2014We have a group of six that travel across town often to dine at the Boathouse. It's a very nice place with great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceJoeSRDined on 10/19/2014Wife and I arrived early. Sat at bar and enjoyed view and chatted with friendly bartender. Excellent brunch with omelette bar plus and a la carte ordering from the menu. In a party of eight with a 3 year old, 1 year old, 4 seniors and 2 adults. All were treated well with an attentive and friendly server. My omelette was excellent and prepared to order. All others seemed to enjoy their meals. Good time.Special Features:
- Great seafoodTnflyerDined on 10/18/2014Tried the raw oyster appetizer, good fresh oysters with a variety of sauces. Also had a fantastic piece of swordfish. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good views/marginal foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Spectacular views of RVA and the river. Service was outstanding. Food was marginal at best. Would return only for drinks or dessert.Special Features:
- Exceptional dining experienceInspired2DineDined on 10/15/2014My family thoroughly enjoyed dining at The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing. The staff were very accommodating as we celebrated a special occasion. The entrees were savory and exceptional! I will continue to recommend this restaurant to my family and friends.Special Features:
- Luv2doWIneVIPDined on 10/14/2014Excellent dinner especially when they offer 50% off Lobster and Shrimp appetizer...I hope they do it again. We had a great meal and the view looking at Richmond was fabulous. I would highly recommend going on a Wednesday night for 1/2 price Wine Wednesday nights. We will be returning :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- sea food delightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014The crab dip is absolutely amazing, and the oysters, shrimp, lobster and catfish (OK, not sea food but still amazing) were all outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You won't be disappointed!ChuckVIPDined on 10/11/2014Pre-dinner drinks at the bar... great! Calamari... most tender I have ever eaten. Filet Mignon medium rare... grilled to perfection, tender and juicy. Southern Fried Seafood platter - Catfish, Oysters, Shrimp, Crab Puppies (Slaw & fries)... just the right portions. Oysters and Shrimp were tender and perfectly prepared. It was a wonderful dinner. We've dined there several times and have enjoyed it each and every times. The food and service exceeds expectations. The best Wait Staff in Richmond, unquestionably! Friendly, helpful, attentive and knows the menu inside and out. They are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group lunch for 121DisappointedDinerDined on 10/11/2014I need a reservation for 12 but the online reservation process restricted my table size option to 6 people so I had my husband book another table for 6 more people. After booking the second table it was cancelled with the cancellation sent to my husband via email without explanation. I had to call to confirm that I'd be able to have a table for 12. That said, the meal service went well; however, my meal was only adequate so I was disappointed. I ordered a salad with added chicken. The salad was swimming in dressing and my chicken was very dry. The bread brought for the table was simply very ordinary (I could buy the same rolls at Food Lion and warm up!) I expected much higher quality food for the restaurant location and price.Special Features:
- LesMDined on 10/10/2014The seafood was tasty, the fried oysters were good but they looked like they had been cut into smaller pieces. I am sure this was done to spread them across the platter they arrived on. 6 is plenty and the more plump and juicy they are the better. Perhaps cutting them up is no as good. Waiter was good and quick to respond to our needs.Special Features:
- Fine dining by the RivahsunsetdonVIPDined on 10/9/2014The Boathouse at Rockett's Landing remains one of my favorite places in Richmond to dine, especially when taking business guests. The view is outstanding, and the food and service are usuallt excellent. On this visit the food and service was Best in Class. The waitperson, Courtney, was pleasant and knowledgeable. She mentioned that she is usually a bartender, so her knowledge of the wines was very helpful. I had the grilled salmon and my guest had the blackened catfish. We also shared a dozen oysters on the half shell snd they were also very good. Desert was Pazookie for my guest and creme brulee for me, again both excellent. Terrific evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Wonderful evening for our family celebration. Courteous staff and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely....and ooh, white sangriaNotParticularDined on 10/8/201425th wedding anniversary. Table on the deck (awesome.) Crab cakes (wicked good.) White sangria (who knew there was such a thing? But, it was terrific, so I drank two.) BTW...husband gave me a silver necklace, and the manager treated us to free dessert for the occasion. DEFINATELY going back to try the wedge and the broiled seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boathouse Experienceccc333Dined on 10/8/2014Excellent ambiance, great food, and fantastic service by FrankSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great River view!CorporateDinerDined on 10/8/2014After booking my reservation with OpenTable, someone from the Boathouse called me and re-confirmed the reservation. The service was great, our waiter was very attentive and was willing to provide suggestions off the menu. The weather was gorgeous and we were seated outside by the James River. This was a business dinner and our out-of-town guests were impressed. The food was average, but the views and seating arrangements more than made up for it.Special Features: