The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing
4708 E Main Street
Richmond, VA 23231Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://boathouserva.com/
- Phone: 8046222628x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Nightly at 5:00 pm
Friday Service Begins at 3:00 pm
Saturday Service Begins at 12:00noon
Sunday Brunch 10 am - 2:30 pm, Dinner Service beginning at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With private rooms for 16 to 200, panoramic views of the Richmond skyline and James River, The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing is a unique location for a special event. Antique brick, industrial steel, and a modern decor give your guests a glimpse of Richmond's rich history and vibrant future.
- Private Party Contact: Bonnie Ball 8046222628x
A word from The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing
Get your taste buds ready. The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing has brought award-winning dining to the banks of the James River. The restaurant occupies the top floor of the recently restored Power Plant building, which once provided electricity for Richmond’s fleet of trolley cars. Rocketts Landing specializes in seafood as well as its signature wood-stone oven Gourmet Flatbreads. With indoor and outdoor dining, offering stunning views of the river and city skyline, The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing promises a truly one-of-a-kind, waterside dining experience never before available in Richmond.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing reviews from OpenTable diners
300 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (257)great for outdoor dining (204)special occasion (190)good for groups (114)romantic (112)great for brunch (76)vibrant bar scene (72)fit for foodies (61)hot spot (60)neighborhood gem (58)great for lunch (46)notable wine list (45)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (18)Show More
- Romantic spot 5 stars!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/29/2014We went to the Boathouse at Rocketts Landing for the first time on our 12 year anniversary. We had a fabulous time- the hostess, the waiters, and the manager all made us feel very special and wished us a happy anniversary. The waiter was amazing- we weren't sure which wine to pick, so he offered to bring us samples, and I'm a vegan and he offered to have the chef whip up a special dish. The view was gorgeous, and we really had a lovely time. We stayed for almost three hours on the patio as it was a little rainy and we were the only ones to brave it. No one made us feel like we had to leave, and we enjoyed the ambience very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I just went to Boathouse for our anniversary. We had an 8:00 reservation and arrived early. The host was very friendly and was able to seat us about 5 minutes before our reservation time. The atmosphere was lively at 8:00 on a Saturday night. I wasn't expecting just HOW lively but I didn't mind. It was just a bit loud. We were seated in the main dining room; I wished we could have been seated with a better view of the water since I requested to in the reservation (something I don't make a habit of doing but do for special occasions). The food was almost as good as we expected. The only problem was the food really could have been hotter. But our server was phenomenal and took our picture on the balcony. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We were interested in booking the Boathouse for our rehearsal dinner, but it is definitely off the list now. The positives are the location, view and ambiance; the view of downtown is fantastic, and the outdoor spaces are great. But the food was very disappointing. We had a pork belly appetizer that was mostly fat. I had a chicken caprese sandwich that was seriously lacking in chicken. My fiancee had margherita pizza, which wasn't bad but definitely nothing special. My father had a crab cake sandwich that warrants the same description. My mother had eggplant parmesan that was mushy and didn't come with pasta (which seems odd). Overall, the food was bland. The service was fine but slow at times (perhaps because it was very busy).Special Features:
- disappointedL5wmbgDined on 9/27/2014We have dined here a few other times and the food was very disappointing. Two of the people in my party ordered the rib-eye steaks and they were terrible- a very poor cut of meat and tasteless. I ordered the salmon and that was overcooked, dry and also tasteless. The view was wonderful but with these prices we definitely expected a better meal.Special Features:
- lovely view and tasty foodPamRVIPDined on 9/26/2014It was a lovely night at the Boathouse - great view, service, and food. I had the crab and asparagus pizza and loved it. My date had the fettucine with shrimp and scallops and enjoyed it. Definitely will return!Special Features:
- A happy delicious birthdaycrabclawsDined on 9/26/2014Went to the Boathouse to celebrate a birthday. We were seated with a fantastic view of the city. Every dish was cooked to perfection and seasoned well. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary Dinner LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Service was excellent especially our waiter's timing. GM and wait staff were very cordial and engaging and made our first visit (our 27th anniversary) very enjoyable. Presentation, portions, preparation and taste of each of the menu items we ordered were spot on. Will definitely be returning and recommending to friends/family. Outstanding views of the river and Richmond skyline.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining by the "Rivah"sunsetdonVIPDined on 9/25/2014this is consistently one of my favorite restaurants. The view is outstanding (Richmond skyline with the sun setting behind). Even this night, with a steady rain, the view was charming. We start with raw oysters on the half shell, which were a little disappointing (small size, not much taste). For entree I had the shrimp & grits (excellent and only $2) and she had the seared tuna. Followed with pazookie for her and creme brûlée for me. We enjoyed a nice Pinot Grigio recommended by our waiter. The service was slow and the waitstaff was not very attentive, which was also disappointing and a step below prior visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous AnniversaryAwesomeDined on 9/22/2014From the time we walked into the door, we were treated royally. We were celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary and everyone made us feel special. Even got a visit from one of the managers and a complimentary dessert. Beautiful sunset overlooking the river with the cityscape in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My ReviewDinnerByTheWaterDined on 9/21/2014The atmosphere, service, and food was great. However, I had a birthday dinner for my fiance and invited my family. The server brought out the bread and the butter had a dead fly in it. In my opinion, he should have knocked off a few bucks because to me it was an embarrassment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Everything I had on our brunch (the buffet) was delicious. The view and atmosphere were excellent. Our waitress was extremely pleasant and knowledgeable. Overall we had a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful time!LisaDined on 9/21/2014Staff was most attentive - they made sure we enjoyed ourselves and we thank them very much. Outside seating was most relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this spot along the riverOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/21/2014With a great view of Downtown Richmond, we thoroughly enjoyed Sunday Brunch. Hard to beat the atmosphere on a beautiful daySpecial Features:
- A beautiful viewMichaelCDined on 9/20/2014The location of this restaurant cannot be beat. The view of the city skyline to the west and down the James River to the east is fabulous. Service is usually very good but it can get very busy. Try for a seat outside or at least away from the bar.Special Features:
- Special OccasionpickysueDined on 9/20/2014Us parents, living out of state, asked my daughter to find a nice place to celebrate her 21st birthday. We got off to a rocky start when the valet parking had just closed (Saturday night at 7:15) and my husband had to park quite a distance away but once inside all was great. We had met some other people & our table could not have been more perfect & exactly what I had asked for. The menu had something for everyone & we had such a nice, leisurely dinner. The service was great, wine well priced & everyone was happy with their choices of food. THANKS for helping us to make such a nice memory for this special birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2doWIneVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great dinner here with friends on a Saturday night. View is breathtaking and when the sun sets, it's a fabulous sight. Prices aren't cheap but well worth the price. Go on a "Wine Wednesday" a get a 1/2 price deal on certain wines. We will be returning :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!!1Foodie4uDined on 9/17/2014This was my first time visiting the Boathouse at Rockett's Landing and will certainly not be the last. The food, service and view of RVA is incredible. We really did not want the evening to end. I cannot wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not pleasedSadDinerDined on 9/14/2014When I first arrived I was greeted quite pleasantly and then was asked were we there for a celebration and we stated yes, Its my birthday. Nothing else was said or done. I figured a piece of cake would have arrived at our table at some point. I ordered the broiled seafood platter and specifically asked that my asparagus be replaced with cole slaw due to a food allergy. The waiter brought out my food with the asparagus touching the scallops and shrimp and then he bought out a small silver container with the cole slaw which was only about a forkful worth.Special Features:
- Every Enjoyable Every TimeAlwaysEnjoyableDined on 9/14/2014We have enjoyed all of our visits to the Boathouse and meet/take friends whenever we get the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meeting old friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We, seniors, met other seniors to catch up on what we had missed in their life. The noise level was such that four people could not hear and we ended up having a conversation only with the person we sat next to. The menu was pleasing. We found that we waited and waited for anything. Finally we asked three times for a check in the middle of our meal and had not gotten it by the end of the meal. We really waited and waited. The server was polite and the food served hot but such a long wait. We also had difficulty parking but that is because you were very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful viewsScoobyDined on 9/10/2014We celebrated our anniversary and had a wonderful meal. The best peat was the balcony overlooking the river was fantastic!Special Features:
- Boathouse - Richmond ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Celebrated our 25th at your find location. The host was so sweet and worked with us on our table request. The bartender was just as gem as well. The food server who completed the experience did a really wonderful job as well. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time afternoon lunchamazedDined on 9/6/2014The atmosphere and ambiance was great. Nice view of the river. The food was good and hot when served. local adequate parking during the afternoon. Highly recommend for a late afternoon or early evening outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view and great servicepshartDined on 9/5/2014We have dined here many times. My husband loves the fried oysters and the crab dip as a first course. I had the blueberry salad which was very good. He had the stuffed shrimp and enjoyed them. My only negative comment is the noise level. I find it difficult to converse because it is so noisy. Wish they could do something about the noise level. That would make it a perfect place to dine!!Special Features:
- DisappointingMbiggersDined on 9/4/2014I have had brunch at The Boathouse many times. Wanted to bring friends for a special celebration for dinner on a week night. The service was very poor. The waiter was assigned too many table including inside (where we were seated) and some outside. It took more than 10 minutes to have water glasses placed on our table & more than 20 additional minutes for a bottle of warm water to fill the glasses. We were finally asked for our drink order, placed these & waited more than 20 minutes to receive the drinks only after I approached the bar to inquire about the drinks! Sorry, for a dinner at $400 for 4, the service is not great. I may go to brunch again but not for dinner. There are too many fantastic diner venues in Richmond to include This 1.Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014The atmosphere was great and really romantic right on the river. We went on wine Wednesdays so they had a great selection of bottles of wine that were 1/2 off. Food was decent, but as with any fancy place you get a very skimpy portion for the price. Any real seafood place would have given you twice the amount of food and of course a lot better service. Our waiter kind of ignored us.Special Features:
- Best date night dinnerKramrvaDined on 9/3/2014I always love the raw oysters here. They have a great beer, wine, mixed drink selection. I got the crab stuffed shrimp, my girlfriend got the seafood pasta. We both really enjoyed the food and would highly recommend to everyone looking for an especially nice dinning experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElizabethDined on 9/3/2014Took a business rep, here from California, to dinner here. He appreciate the view of the city. Would recommend for a nice place to go especially for those visiting Richmond.Special Features:
- Excellent RestaurantMartyHDined on 9/3/2014Took awhile to get to the Boathouse but thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. We will return for the food and the view.Special Features:
- A Great Dinner at the Boathouse!djmjVIPDined on 9/2/2014We have been regular visitors to the Boathouse at Rocketts Landing and continue to enjoy a great deal. In recent visits they have had menu changes but continue to have something that would please most anyone. Our waiter recommended the Wahoo fish special and it was fantastic. Even a substitution of the side dish was no issue. This is just the food and I have not even mentioned the great view overlooking the James River. Boathouse- keep up the great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagsDined on 8/31/2014The staff was very welcoming and friendly. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five-star brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014We visited The Boathouse for a Sunday morning brunch. The food, river view and music were all great (not sure if the music was recorded or satellite radio). Another memorable highlight was our waiter Greg who did a great job taking care of us. On his recommendation, we had delicious peach bellini cocktails. One of us had the made-to-order omlette that included a delicious biscuit, well-cooked tasty bacon and a generous side of fruit. Another had a top-your-own Belgian waffle with the same sides, and the other member of our party had a bowl of clam chowder and a juicy cheeseburger with well-seasoned fries. We'd definitely recommend this restaurant and would return here for future meals.Special Features:
- Date night favoritejsatcDined on 8/30/2014I've been to the Boathouse several times. I love the ever changing menu and nightly specials. If you are a bit of a connoisseur regarding seafood, their's is not the best. Food quality is great, preparation is not always on point. Without fail, the service is always fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls lunch, my invitationRenaeVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have hosted friends here three previous times in the past six weeks for brunch and for dinner. Each time the food was as good as the perfect river view and service. I am sad to report that Sat. lunch did not measure up. I had raved to my friends about the food and was sorry that not one person at the table, including me, finished their food because it wasn't good. One of my favorite appetizers, fried oysters, were hard, either over fried or reheated. I usually savor them, but only ate 2. No one really complained to eachother or the waiter, and it was only shared on the drive home. Very disappointing meal. And my peach bilini was terrible..hard to mess up, but some mushy raspberries and a substance at the bottom that did not mix in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a view!WeekendfoodieDined on 8/29/2014Sitting outside as the sun sets is a must! It is simply breathtaking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SallyDined on 8/28/2014excellent dinner experience....food on terrace setting at sundown was superb....nice place for special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffDined on 8/27/2014The weather was nice so it was a perfect night for a drink outdoors before dinner. Our table was ready on time and the service was good, not exceptional. The food at the Boathouse has been hit or miss for me in the past but it was on point Wednesday night. For dinner I had the shrip and scallop pasta. The portion was just right and quite tasty. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal. The noise level which can be very loud at the Boathouse seemed much more controlled during our dinner. The only negative was that we must have had the worst seat in the resturuant. The setting sun shone very badly in our face. The window in front of us did not have any protection causing our side of the table to all have to wear our sunglasses during dinner.Special Features:
- Average restaurantEvs73Dined on 8/24/2014This was my first time dining at the Boathouse and I was not impressed. Service was disappointing and the food was average. We had to ask for water, bread, and bread plates, in that order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday NightDissapointedDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I celebrated his birthday on the 24th and my expectations were high. We were not disappointed. Our waiter was knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. We sat outside, which I had requested, which made for a wonderful evening. We've been there before and will continue to frequent this gem.Special Features:
- Enjoyable DinnerBisonworldDined on 8/24/2014Great dining experience with a fabulous view! We were lucky enough to get a corner table, with an awesome view of the James river. I ordered the Lobster Bake which was fabulous! This item is a 'must try' before it's gone for the season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.