The Blue Wisp Restaurant & Jazz Club
700 Race St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Wisp Restaurant & Jazz Club
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebluewisp.com/dine.html
- Phone: 5132419477x
- Hours of Operation:
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM Tuesday - Friday
Tuesday - Thursday 5 PM -10 PM Bar open until Midnight
Friday and Saturday 5 PM - 10 PM (Late Night Menu 10 PM - 1 AM)
Open Sunday and Monday by Special Event Only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: Weekly you can relax and dine while listening to the Blue Wisp Big Band, Wisp of Jazz and the Blue Wisp Young Lions High School Jazz Band. Providing live music nightly so view our event calendar for all local, regional and national artist.
- Special Events: See our Calendar of Events on our Website.
A word from The Blue Wisp Restaurant & Jazz Club
A must see, The Blue Wisp is known as one of the premier venues in the United States and now has an award winning restaurant providing contemporary cuisine. This historic establishment provides an intimate atmosphere for some of the best jazz artists of all time. In addition to jazz, The Blue Wisp stage is also home to many other genres of music. A piece of Cincinnati history, The Blue Wisp originally opened in O'Bryonville in 1973. The Blue Wisp has expanded to its latest and greatest location and is now nestled in the heart of exciting downtown Cincinnati. The Blue Wisp is conveniently located within walking distance of Paul Brown Stadium, Great American Ball Park, US Bank Arena, Duke Energy Convention Center, Fountain Square, and The Aronoff Center for the Arts. The Blue Wisp features live music nightly with a full-service bar, lunch, dinner, and a late-night menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Blue Wisp Restaurant & Jazz Club reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance5Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- most of the menu was unavailablejcoop580Dined on 5/31/2014most of the staff was very friendly. arrived 10 minutes before open doors were locked staff seen us outside and unlocked doors for us. we did have reservations table placement was less desired wanted closer to band . very next party that came in after us what is dead center in front of the band. the server took our drink order as soon as we sat down. try to order appetizers first and second choice was no longer available I'll settle for 3rd very good chicken tenders. placed the dinner order same thing as with the appetizers first and second choice on the menu wasn't available .seem like the server wasn't familiar with the menu. ask her about the lasagna end up bringing the meatloaf ? probably will go back but not right at open .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best jazz experience in townjcliaoDined on 5/30/2014The atmosphere, food/drink selection, friendly staff and excellent musical performances make this place a perfect classy spot to enjoy am amazing jazz show with dinner or just drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phthDined on 5/27/2014I order a martini and asked for well vodka, my drink was $11.00. My husband ordered the lasagna it was $18.00 and it was burnt. They melted more cheese on top to hide the fact that it was burnt. The portion was very small. I ordered the Goat cheese and cranberry salad. It was $11.00 and had 1 small patty of goat cheese. Salad was from bag. Very poor would not eat there again.
- Excellent Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014My husband and I were trying The Blue Wisp for the first time. Great food, excellent service, and wonderful music. We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedShaylaDined on 5/18/2014We arrived at our reservation time and was told that I didn't have a reservation. Then the excuse was that one of the employees didn't show up for work so they didn't know we had a reservation. So we didn't get a chance to dine because the band had shut down and the kitchen was closed and nothing was done to try to reschedule at all.
- BrunchBobbyVIPDined on 5/18/2014We've been to the Blue Wisp numerous times for dinner and it was always a success. First timers for brunch. Limited menu, average quality, probably not returning in the near future for brunch. Highly recommend for dinner though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindFrunobulaxDined on 5/17/2014We lack good jazz clubs and dinner clubs in the area, so the Blue Wisp is an oasis. We had a very nice time and the dinner was very good. Also, the show was very good, as we saw the Rosemary Cloony tribute on 5/17. The only drawbacks were spotty service (not bad, just could be more attentive), and spotty kitchen (you shouldn't be out of a regular menu item at 7:30 on a Saturday). The other drawback is the lounge, which is a nice space, but not a nice space for music. The bar is centally located, meaning there are only a handful of seats from which you can view the lounge band. Having said all that, the owners seem to care about the quality of the music and the quality of the customer experience. We'll be visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music AND Foodgr8fulDined on 5/17/2014We went for the Blues Music, which was fabulous and enjoyed the food, wine and beer more than we expected. Good, not extensive, menu and everything we tried was perfectly prepared and delicious. No cover to hear Kelly Ritchie play guitar and sing. What a treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good date nightHeatherDined on 5/17/2014I love coming here for a nice evening out! The food is very good, there were some technical difficulties during the show but other than that everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place as alwaysmikeDined on 5/16/2014Sometimes the music can get a little too loud, where it becomes hard to hear the person next to you. But it is live music, and it is the best music there is. Can't wait to come back again. The staff from the GM on down are the best of the best. Mike G.Special Features:
- Perfect for a night on the town!FoodieSongBird90Dined on 5/10/2014So I got the responsibility of planning my best friend's bachelor party. I saw this restaurant on OpenTable, checked out the reviews (rave) & location (aka perfect) & I was convinced. Booked our reservation (for 10) & there wasn't any issue getting situated once we got there. Which was awesome, especially with a larger party as we were. Service was awesome even though we were billigerantly drunk as it got later into the evening & a pain in the butt to deal with (Tammy you rock!!). Food was freaking delicious (I know because I literally stole bites of everyone's food everything from burgers to the salmon & Chicken/Prosciutto pasta) & I would recommend this place to any/everyone!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty much what I expectedSoopaStarDined on 5/10/2014We sat in the lounge. When we arrived, we were seated promptly at a two top up against the bar. My wife and I had to trade seats because the ceiling mounted A/C vent blew directly down upon us. Kind of poor placement of the table. I ordered a Rhinegeist Truth and my wife ordered a three vodka, three juice beverage. Hers was delicious, mine was not Truth. They had the brewery's Cougar instead and didn't know. Swapped it for a Flower Power IPA. Yum. I ordered the steak medallions and my wife the Salmon. Both were very tasty and cooked appropriately. The music was a tad loud and I couldn't hear some of our conversation without leaning into the table. Definitely not a place to go if you are looking to catch up on old times and just talk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lindaVIPDined on 5/10/2014Everything was bad from service to food. The salad came straight from Kroger in a plastic bag. The "special" was grouper, but they didn't have any so the gave us flounder instead. Same price for a cheaper fish. The broccoli was cold and the rice was terrible and hard. They even said they couldn't make a mixed drink (electric lemonade). The music was OK.
- Food before and or after an eventEventDined on 5/10/2014If you like to support the city you are in here is where you can do that. Music all evening food very tasty . Fun with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has PotentialLoveToDineDined on 5/9/2014I enjoy jazz so I figured this would we a great place to go to dinner with a few friends. Unfortunately I was wrong. The food was lackluster and some things on the menu, they did not serve anymore. I had the nachos which was mostly chips, the people I was with had salads and the crab cake sandwich. I would say to go with the sandwich, he seemed to enjoy his food the most out of all of us. The music was a little too loud for a dining setting, I think this place would be better suited for drinks and just to vibe to music. The service was okay, nothing spectacular but not terrible. I can say that I will never dine there again, maybe I will try sitting at the bar and just having drinks.
- classy placechrisDined on 5/3/2014great food great service. Good music and a nice place to go out with your lady. Dessert wasn't very good but everything else was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music Awesome; service poorOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014It was my second time to visit there. Awesome place, great venue, great ambiance and food. Service is horrible. Also, you need to update menu if some items are not available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChillinDined on 5/2/2014Paul Carter went over and beyond to see that we had a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good.SkilletVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were pleasantly surprised that the food at the Blue Wisp was very good. We went there for our first time this past Saturday night and expected average-quality bar food, but found it to be very good. We started with their spinach and artichoke dip (the fried pita chips are excellent) and both had the stuffed chicken as our entrees. Everything was very tasty and the music was good as well. I would certainly recommend giving this place a try if you haven't been there before.
- Love JazzteacherDined on 4/20/2014I love the concept of a jazz bar, but I was somewhat disappointed in the brunch experience. The food was good, but nothing exceptional. The service was slow and I feel the servers need to be trained better, and more accomodating. I think if The Blue Wisp steps up their food and service, business would really improve. I am in their corner, and I want the establishment to succeed, but I definitely think if they want to have more traffic in the restaurant part they need improvement.Special Features:
- Brunch was Greatsocrdad19Dined on 4/20/2014The Blue Wisp Jazz Club has only been serving Sunday brunch for a few weeks when we decided to try it. Our server was working his first brunch and was not familiar with the menu, but told us that upfront and it was not a problem. Service was superb. The kitchen had some electrical problems which caused my omelet to arrive well before my wife's plate. We did not complain, but when our server asked what was wrong with my wife's order, we simply stated it never arrived. Without us complaining the manager to comped our meal. That demonstrated they cared about their customers. Being new to brunch, there were some glitches, but we enjoyed the live soft jazz, the meal, and the service. We plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great talent and tasty mealsyanko49Dined on 4/19/2014Big bands or small combos bring back the days when Cincy was bursting with great venues for young and old jazz greats to share their talents with their fans. Our evening with the RL Big Band was outstanding but was accentuated by the good service and food. We will be returning with friends and telling even more about the enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for a date ;)DinnerBuddyDined on 4/19/2014Good ambience from live music, large windows and bar in the center of the restaurant. Food was good and a good selection of beer and wine. Bread pudding was delicious.Special Features:
- Really awfulFrauDoktorDined on 4/13/2014I ordered a$9 Bloody Mary that was over-tabasco-ed and, over-iced with nearly no vodka in it. Veggie tacos - menu said stuffed with roasted vegetables, black beans, tomatoes and guacamole sauce. What I got was two limp small tortillas with three chunks of boiled zucchini each, chunks of iceberg lettuce, and half a bottle of thousand island dressing on it. I read the waitress the menu description. She said the manager cooked and didn't know how. She came back with the same food w/8 black beans now on one tortilla, 2 beans on the other. My husband's meal was over-salted . My daughter's "make your own burger" came out with not one topping she ordered. The fries were old and reheated. One hour before we were served!
- Good JazzInnobleDined on 4/12/2014I cannot honestly rate the food since I only attended the jazz show. The room was small, dark, crowed and the seating was uncomfortable.. The service was the absolute worst I've experienced in years! After finding a seat a cocktail waitress brought us a dinner and cocktail menu and promised she'd be back; well we NEVER saw her again. After an hour I went to the front to find out how to get a cocktail and a waiter was sent over and did care for our order. The jazz artist was good and played 2 sets. Although most of his selections were old tunes, they were played very well. The jazz experience was memorable, although because of the HORRIBLE service I will NEVER return!Special Features:
- SuppliesDuckyDined on 4/12/2014Your restaurant ran out of plates, forks and to-go boxes. Our group was a bit taken aback by this. This shouldn't be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good foodCincinnati11Dined on 4/12/2014We went early on a Saturday to the lounge area, not very busy. Got busy after 8:30 - 9. Music was very nice, food was very good, wait staff very nice. We had several shots, one of which was not what we ordered, manager came out and said, "get them another of what they ordered." Will definitely go back and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good music, absolutealiceVIPDined on 4/11/2014Very good music, absolute amazing loved the relaxed feel of it! I was sorry to leave!Special Features:
- nice jazz experiencejazzfanDined on 4/11/2014This is a nice location to enjoy jazz bands with dinner in the lounge. On the downside, you can hear music from the bar area coming in, which is distracting. Our server wasn't the greatest; nice enough but not very attentive. One person in my party didn't like her cold food, but the others enjoyed ours. For my 2nd time in a row here, they didn't have an appetizer available that was listed on the menu. I don't know if its so good it sells out, since I haven't gotten to try it! If so, why can't they just plan accordingly?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music Great - Food, not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/10/2014Before dinner drinks were great, as well as our appetizer of Tuna Tacos. We then ordered 2 items off the menu, then were told that they were no longer available. Waitress was very immature, and service was slow. We were there on a Thursday night, so there was no excuse for the slow service with so few people being in the restaurant. 1) Crab cakes were more filler than crab meat, and were barely warm 2) 2nd choice New York Strip (after Rib Eye from menu not available) Sauce was unappealing, and tasted like gravy. 3) Center Cut Pork Chop not available, so ordered Cider Salmon - Served with under-cooked haricot verts and roasted potatoes Should have ordered a sandwich, because this was not fine dining. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceLoveJazzDined on 4/3/2014This was our first visit to the Blue Wisp. The ambiance was befitting the jazz theme. The music was outstanding and the food was good, although my companion had to order three times to find something on the menu that was actually available. Even at that it was a good experience and we would not hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great MusicTessDined on 3/29/2014We wondering into the Blue Wisp looking for some local music. we sat in the main area, ordered some beers and has an appetizer. Some high school kids were playing Jazz and if I did not see them, I would have thought they were older and more experienced. They played great Jazz standards and it was a fun relaxing atmosphere. The food was good but not exceptional, but overall the experience was excellent and did not break the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deeply DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2014We were looking forward to something different than just going out for dinner. The jazz band in the main room played intermittently, and no longer than 40 minutes and then took 30 to 40 minute breaks. Obviously the better band was in the other room, but you had to pay. But that is what I had thought I had made reservations for. The food was not good. My crab cake sandwich had so much oil on it, could have been deep fried and it was pressed beyond recognition. I was surprised at the prices. They seemed really high. If you want to compete with the MUCH better restaurants downtown, don't price your food at the same level and serve poor quality food.
- 2 visitsRickHDined on 3/22/2014Hello, I've been to Blue Wisp 2x in the last 3 weeks. I love the Ambiance and the Music. The service was not very good at all. The wait staff was very pleasant and as attentive as could be. It seemed that you are understaffed and the staff was overworked. Too busy to really give us the attention we're used to. Both times it was around 10 minutes before someone even took our drink order. The first time they directed us to the back room where it cost extra to get (what I thought) was worse service. Therefore the second time we opted out of going to the back room. Then came to find the service was just as bad in the front room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blown awayeyesee58Dined on 3/21/2014This was my first time here I will be coming back as the weather gets warm Our server was very good Just need to turn the lights up there where older people there for Marshall Nelson they had to turn there phone on to read there bill, But other then that I enjoyed myself,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SuprisednewbieDined on 3/14/2014Had read a number of reviews panning the food, was concerned, but didn't want to chance missing the show by eating elsewhere. There were 4 of us, 2 different pasta dishes, 1 sandwich and a chicken entrée. Everyone enjoyed their food, 2 even took home leftovers. Generous portions, tasty food - nice and hot and served in the same room as the show we were seeing. Reason for going was the show - the food was a pleasant surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to have Jazz in the backgroundvalandmikeDined on 3/8/2014Nice to have Jazz in the background. Good food- Crabcakes were delicious as was the Salmon. Overall a very nice eveningSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Option for Jazz Lovers!ThnkAKADined on 3/7/2014Fabulous Staff!!!!! Excellent Music!!! They went above and beyond the norm for customer service. I would recommend this restaurant for the food, the music, the staff, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere; poor servicebmaceDined on 3/7/2014The Blue Wisp is very hard to locate. However once we found it the valet was prompt and friendly. The hostess was polite and efficient. Server was slow in greeting us, not knowledgeable of the menu, and struggled with the simple task of opening a bottle of wine. Beef medallions were unexceptional, but asparagus and potatoes were excellent. Her pasta was drenched in a butter cream sauce that was flavorful, but a little much. Teamwork was fantastic as several people prebussed our table. Music was lively and fun but very loud for dinner. My recommendation...go for the music and drinks, but eat before you go.
- Great jaz and so so foodMickeyVIPDined on 3/1/2014This is really a nice jazz venue and probably ok for late night sandwiches or appetizers. I would describe the dinner as Bob Evans quality. My short ribs came out at room temperature. They were nice to microwave it at which point it was the moral equivalent of Bob Evans pot roast but not as hot. The music is great and I would suggest this spot for after dinner and not dinner!Special Features: