The Blue Taj
14815 Ballantyne Village Way
Charlotte, NC 28277Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Taj
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebluetaj.com/
- Phone: 7043695777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Blue Taj
Located in Ballantyne Village, The Blue Taj is a groundbreaking restaurant serving Indian Cuisine and a much needed and welcome addition to Charlotte’s dining scene. The Décor at The Blue Taj is chic and modern, yet very cozy and eclectic. There are four themed dining areas to keep the excitement going for each time you visit. A chic wine cellar also graces the floor of the restaurant where vast and popular selections of wines are stored in a good temperature and humidity controlled environment. The Bubble Bar is open nightly to fix your craving for exciting combination of both signature and innovative cocktails and refreshingly sparkling and other popular wines by the glass. The Blue Taj is also a lunch destination in a very popular location. The ample selections of lunch offerings are sure to please business and mainstream diners alike. The Blue Taj is also available for private events and parties of various sizes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Blue Taj - Best Restaurants in Charlotte ›
The Blue Taj reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (24)great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (11)special occasion (8)great for lunch (8)romantic (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great Dining ExperienceCsullivan1106Dined on 10/16/2014I was relatively new to Indian food so I was a bit apprehensive going in. However the food was fantastic, service was attentive but not overbearing, and the garlic Nan...amazing. The thing that teally impressed me was the spices in the dishes gave it a kick, but didn't overpower the taste. Go eat here today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian food in townShropUSCVIPDined on 10/16/2014Spicy Goan is phenomenal. Great lunch prices. Naan is Delicious as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMaharaoDined on 10/15/2014While the food has shifted a bit from authentic toward "fusion", it remains very good and some of the best Indian food in Charlotte. Not a bargain, but a good splurge. Noisy (especially if you are near a table with children) and a bit dark (and the menu is not designed for readability in low-light conditions). On balance, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service very slowLuLuDined on 10/11/2014This was our 4th visit and we love the food, but the service is always mediocre at best. They always seem to be severely understaffed. I wish they'd improve the service, then they'd have a great establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian DelightCherryames1949VIPDined on 9/18/2014We arrived after our movie and started with assorted appetizers. They are consistently good and a great way to start. I went on to order the lamb saag and my friend had the chicken korma. Both were perfectly seasoned and delicious. The service is always great. The servers are friendly and professional but never intrusive. I love this restaurant. The food, the service and the location all combine to make this a perfect dining experience. I never miss an opportunity to dine here.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Really enjoyed our 2nd meal. Asked for extra spicy & it was perfect. Loved the music too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ballantyne gem!SharrolDined on 9/1/2014Great experience. The staff is very helpful regarding suggestions for those not familiar with Indian cuisine. The food was fabulous.Special Features:
- Delicious as always!TheSuzDined on 8/29/2014Once again, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and our experience at Blue Taj. We took out-of-town company there and they loved it as well. One of them said she thought it was the best Indian food she had ever tasted.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/24/2014A little hard to find inside a multi-building shopping mall but worth the effort. Excellent Indian food, interesting selections and good choices for vegetarian/vegans. We don't live in Charlotte but had to meet someone at the airport and found this place somewhat by accident but will go back again when in town.Special Features:
- DeliciousRosieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Always good. Brought a Middle Eastern friend from out of town, and she agreed that it was delicious!Special Features:
- DeliciousDeliciousDined on 8/22/2014A friend of mine took me to the blue taj last week and I had to bring my fiancé back this week. The food is delicious, we cleaned our plate sopping every last drop of sauce with the delicious naan. The service is also very good. You won't be disappointed. Afterward we saw the movie 100 Foot walk which made us appreciate the culinary talents of the chef at blue taj even more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian FoodCherryames1949VIPDined on 8/20/2014The Blue Taj never disappoints. The service is great. All of the servers are knowledgeable and helpful. The food is always delicious and done to perfection. I had the chicken tikka and my friend had chicken korma. Both dishes were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently on the markmaddogDined on 8/15/2014Best Indian cuisine in Charlotte area with great options for meat eaters and vegetarians. Favorites include the Saag Paneer and the cauliflower appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRosieVIPDined on 8/9/2014Our 2nd time and it won't be our last! Soooo good! Seafood with a coconut sauce and Lamb with a spicy sauce, incredible. Drinks could be better and a little stronger for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/27/2014This dinner was better then most nights @ the BT. For whatever reason, service was up to par and food was outstanding. It was a Sunday night too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2014Excellent Sunday buffet as always...best in town, consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent excellent Indian foodzoltocVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have dined at Blue Taj on multiple occasions and have very much enjoyed the food and service every time. They have an excellent grading scale for spiciness and when you ask for 5 (hottest), they provide a 5, unlike some restaurants who don't believe the customer means 5. Similarly, their milder heat is accurate. The chicken tikka masala is uniformly good and consistent as is the lamb rogan josh. I had the chili chicken appetizer and it was excellent. Very flavorful.
- Blue Taj was greatLuvIndianDined on 7/18/2014The food was delicious. The four of us loved what we asked. It is a little pricey so we don't come as often as we'd like to.Special Features:
- Great IndianRosieVIPDined on 7/5/2014We are new to the area and were looking for a good Indian restaurant. Blue Taj was great! Quaint, maybe a little tight, but quaint. Service was great, our server was very knowledgeable and suggested great items. Everything tasted authentic and delicious. We will definitely be back. Hoping for a few people in the bar next time. It was empty on this visit.Special Features:
- The Blue TajSeanDined on 7/3/2014Good food and very good staff. Staff are great at recommending items not on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent...BDog91Dined on 6/30/2014The service was very good and the food was great! Some of the most tender chicken I have ever had. The veggie and meat based appetizers were great way to start the meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful menuQuailCornersChickDined on 6/28/2014Great food every time and the servers are so helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 208 reviews are from the The Blue Taj reviews archive.
- Reliableenergy49manDined on 6/21/2014Always good quality at a reasonable price, have been there numerous times.Special Features:
- Good foodjgjgDined on 6/14/2014The food was delicious, great flavor with just the right amount of spice. The drinks we had were also very good. I can't remember the name of it, it had cucumber, mint, olives, rum and some kind of spicy pepper. I would definitely recommend to a friend. Service was very good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch spotSushiVIPDined on 6/6/2014Great atmosphere. Management was courteous and helpful. Great spot for lunch or Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian foodMarieDined on 5/31/2014Best Indian Food I have ever had. Presentation is wonderful. Staff is pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tast of IndiaCherryames1949VIPDined on 5/28/2014We went for dinner and had an appetizer sampler plate. Our main course was lamb saagwala and chicken korma. Both dishes were delicious with just the right amount of spice. The service was attentive but not intrusive. The food and service is consistently great.Special Features:
- Saturday eveningGnocciDined on 5/26/2014It was our 3rd visit, Saturday evening and we had a table outside. This time I was dissapointed about the service and the appetizer We took the non-vegetarian platter, which was mentioned as a serving for two people. It consisted of a few sligthly burnt pieces of meat and fish. We also ordered Raita and Naan bread. They served the Raita with the starter and the bread (what was much less than the last time) with the main dish. We also had to ask and wait for additional rice this time. A lot of people we waiting for their take-out, what probably is a good decision for Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, againRyanVIPDined on 5/3/2014My wife and I frequently eat here and it is consistently great. This is the best Indian food in the Charlotte area and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian gemCherryames1949VIPDined on 4/23/2014We started with a variety appetizer plate. Each piece is a delight. Our entrees were wonderful. The lamb saagwala and the chicken korma were delicious. The service is always superior. It is one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Great Indian foodJMEatsDined on 4/11/2014We always love eating here. The staff is friendly and they go out of their way to help you. They'll even make a special dish to suit your needs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingIndianFoodieVIPDined on 4/5/2014As Indian food lovers, this did not live up to our expectations in any way. At first, our waiter was good but was constantly rushing us to put in our order. Once we did, we never saw him again until we received our check. We had the back waiter bring us our food and refill our drinks and rice. When he did drop off the check about 15 minutes after our food was cleared, he was on the telephone and offered us no interaction. It was terrible service. As far as the food, the spice levels were completely off and the food was very bland which is hard to say at an Indian restaurant. Overall it was one of the most expensive Indian restaurants we have been to and the worst experience both with service and food.
- Spicy with great Naan!CLTReviewerVIPDined on 4/3/2014Had a business dinner at Blue Taj. First the bad, the bar area is a joke! BUT it's the food that one goes for at Blue Taj! The selection of Indian Food is good where the spice was right on! The garlic naan is spot on with yogurt side is a meal by itself! The service is a little confusing since diners do not have a committed server, all waiters are attentive to the tables; good and bad. Overall it's a good Indian Food place that is priced well considering the items you gets. The portions are just the right size. Caution! Bring breath mints since the garlic can be harsh after the meal, HA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly friendly & knowledgeableOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/30/2014Incredibly friendly & knowledgeable staff. Great flavors!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite RestaurantAMS1994Dined on 3/29/2014I am not a person who likes to go back to the same restaurant. I like to try new places every time we go out. But ever since we went to Blue Taj about a month and a half ago, we've been back twice and gotten takeout once. I could eat here every week! I don't think there is an item on the menu that I would not enjoy. There were 4 people in our party the last time we went and every dish on the table was amazing. The wait staff is very friendly and extremely helpful in explaining the dishes to people who have never tried Indian food. I'd recommend it to anyone! Even people who can't handle spicy food could eat here because they allow you to choose your spice level from 1 to 5. Can't wait to eat my leftovers for lunch today!Special Features:
- Outstanding quant spot for dining.RayGeeDined on 3/21/2014This is my 3rd time here. I'll definitely be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticaceyjVIPDined on 3/14/2014From the time we entered the restaurant until the time we left everything was fantastic . The food was outstanding. This is the first time we visited this restaurant and it was a little hard t find tucked away from the main drag. We are very happy that we persisted and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian GemCherryames1949VIPDined on 3/11/2014Went with a friend. The service was top notch and the food was delicious. I had the lamb saag and my friend had the chicken korma. The food and the service is consistently good. Blue Taj is a culinary gem in Charlotte that I visit every chance I get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/8/2014Loved the cauliflower app and the scallops were outstanding! Oh and you must get the bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantFoodLoverDined on 3/5/2014We always enjoy new restaurants. This one was nice. Very good Indian food. Friendly staff. Overall a very positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.