The Blue Star
1645 S Tejon
Colorado Springs, CO 80906Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Star
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebluestar.net/
- Phone: 7196321086x
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Will Merwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We personalize to your needs. We do whatever the client wants as long as we can get our hands on it or our brains around it.
- Private Party Facilities: The working wine cellar, the most unique room in the restaurant, seats 22 people and is completely private. We can also section out our dining room for semi-private parties or it can be completely bought out for a private party.
- Private Party Contact: Nikki Lee 719-632-1086x1
- Entertainment: There is no live entertainment, only the staff and owner.
- Special Events: We offer specialty dinners. Please call 719-632-1086 to sign up for these special events.
A word from The Blue Star
The Blue Star is a sleek, sophisticated restaurant offering an escape from the norm. The Blue Star offers two different dining rooms for two different dining experiences. Each room has its own menu. Menus change frequently based on fresh local product availability and guest feedback. The lounge offers a more social scene and first come/first served seating. There is hip music playing overhead, the bar is inside the room, and there are tall round tables for cocktailing. The dining room is much quieter and is surrounded by sophisticated decor, wood floors, white table cloths and an open kitchen. We are known for our extensive wine list, and offer 1/2 off bottles of wine on Sunday nights. The private Wine Cellar is not available for online booking, but give us a shout for details. No outside food or beverage but we'd be happy to create your custom cakes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The Blue Star - Best Restaurants in Colorado Springs ›
The Blue Star reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (41)notable wine list (38)neighborhood gem (28)romantic (26)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (12)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Consistent qualityfoodloverDined on 8/21/2014One of the top restaurants in Colorado Springs. Innovative specials. The two levels of dining provide flexibility.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome gem!PeterVIPDined on 8/6/2014Loved it! Great service and the Martinez is an awesome drink, would get there anytime I am in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chuckDined on 8/2/2014Very noisy, service less than adequate, food very average. There are much better places.
- Good Food - Lousy ServicePeak14115Dined on 7/29/2014Service the first 30 minutes was great, but as soon as the dining room became busy our servers abandoned my part of two in favor of larger groups and larger tips. Clearly a case of insufficient staffing and poor training. While the food was quite good with an interesting menu I'm not sure I will return. At their prices, we deserved far better.
- Better but still not greatJJ42VIPDined on 7/28/2014I never went last summer because there was nothing on the menu that I wanted to eat. Too much "fusion". The menu is better this summer and the food was OK. Not great but well served.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Arrived 45 minutes prior to our reservation to have HH drink at the bar. Bartender ignored us until we asked about HH specials. He then said HH is over. It was two minutes after HH so we said well we were here before it was over and he acted annoyed and put out. When we went to our table our server was pleasant but absent. Another server answered our questions about the menu. Our food was so salty I could not eat it. You could not even taste the food. I was turned off by this time. We payed and left.
- Bad TableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2014The food was great. Creative and very flavorful. But they sat us in a room with a group business meeting and, unbelievably, a small political rally behind a curtain in the middle of the room. After several comments about the bad seats, our waiter got the hint, moved us to a quiet room and we were able to enjoy dinner. But the first thirty minutes took a bite out of the dining experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceJamieDined on 7/21/2014Very much enjoyed our experience at the Blue Star. We were a party of seven and the service and food was wonderful. Everyone enjoyed their food and I really liked the chef's sea bean salad that they had that evening. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- A Nice EveningFineWineandDineDined on 7/20/2014We took our 18 year old grandson to the Blue Star to celebrate his birthday. He is a busboy at a local restaurant and he told the chef at that restaurant where we were taking him. The chef advised, "Order anything. It'll be great!" And that it was. He ordered mussels for an appetizer then quail as his entree and ate every bite. My wife and I both enjoyed our experience as well. We've eaten there before but had not been there in a while but we'll be back again...soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/20/2014Dinner was wonderful and service was quick. Just what we needed.Special Features:
- Great PlacedavilaDined on 7/11/2014Title says it all. Definitely going back. The food was good, the drinks were good. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServiceCptPanduhDined on 7/11/2014I set up a reservation and our servers practically bent head over heels for us, and even heeded my reservation requests, which is something that is rarely done. The servers were actually happy and excited to be working at The Blue Star, even though it was a Friday night. Excellent service. 10/10, would dine there again.Special Features:
- Pleasing CelebrationQuietEleganceDined on 7/10/2014The meal was an appropriate sized portion. You weren't stuffed but you didn't go hungry. Food was a high quality. Dishes were fresh and cooked to your request. Menu selections were elegant. Service was accommodating but not smothering.Special Features:
- RoadWarriorsDined on 7/9/2014We had a party of 7 and are big food sharers, so I got to sample most of the dishes. All were excellent, including the deserts. My group is from out of town, so we ate out every night this week. Having Crème Brule at 5 different spots this week, Blue Stars was by far the best. the only negative comment was the portion size. We are not mass volume value eaters, but even for fine diners the portions were a bit small. Two in my party had a fabulous lamb soup that looked lonely in the bowl.....the bowl appeared to be less than half full. So even though the food was fabulous, my group rated Blue Star 4th out of the 5 dining establishments we visited this week mostly because of the portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic2wineloversDined on 7/6/2014We went on Sunday for half price bottles of wine. Calamarie and chicken wraps outstanding. Server Brandie lovely and attentive. Chef Will came to our table to discuss his food philosophy and my husbands dairy allergy. Sophie a beautiful knowledgeable sommelier. Do yourself a favor and go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woth Driving to Co SpringsksdinerDined on 7/5/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants and this time we were even more impressed. We were seated in the wine cellar, lovely and romantic. The service was the best we have ever experienced here. Food was wonderfully prepared and presented. The wine recommendation was perfect. We highly recommend the Blue Star for a special event dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedcomum22Dined on 6/26/2014We took our two children (17 and 13) here for a good grades dinner. After we were seated we were greeted by our server who was friendly and efficient throughout the meal. She was the only server that night (or so it appeared) and she never let service slide. We ordered a bottle of wine off the extensive wine list suggested by the sommelier which was lovely and complemented our meals. Everyone had something different from hors d'oeuvre, to main course, to dessert. We have been here for several special meals since we moved to Colorado Springs 10 years ago and have NEVER been disappointed. It is definitely our GO TO restaurant when we want to celebrate a special occasion. We can always depend on The Blue Star for exceptional food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service66motorsportVIPDined on 6/22/2014Amazing Ribeye.. GReat flavor. Tomoatos on Caprese salad not ripe, but with that small exception great food Very good service....LOVE places that serve largest bottle of Pelegrino...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste Great and is LESS FILLING :(TabascoBubbleGumDined on 6/18/2014My server night before last was the man. He was knowledgeable, friendly, honest and didn't come hound us every five sec. He was honest enough to tell it's the Basil/Pepper Corn Ice Cream was not good(we tried it and agreed). Only negative(other than the ice cream) was the portions did not match the price. $30 for my ladies halibut, $25 for my pork and I still felt the need to go grab a bite. Could have gone to Outback and paid less and got more. The food did taste great, but it's such a small portion. Great service, atmosphere, drinks all around nice place to be. Other than the ice cream and the one table giving my gf and I the stink eye(possibly because we are interracial/or the fact that she is hot and me not so much) I say 3of 5*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise JeweljhoranDined on 6/14/2014I have been here many times. There is a bar menu and a restaurant menu; both of them are great! This time we were celebrating a birthday and had dinner in the dining room. The service was excellent, and the farm-to-table gourmet food was wonderful! (In our group, we tried out the halibut, the wild boar, and the quail.) We also got the charcuterie plate. Highly recommended! It's an unassuming building with a jewel inside...Special Features:
- JAndrewsDined on 6/14/2014The waitstaff was fantastic. They stopped by the table when needed but didn't constantly bother us. The food was all really good. Both fish and lamb were perfectly cooked. Mussels which can easily be under or over cooked were perfect and tasted great. Dessert was awesome.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/9/2014I search the Internet for the best romantic restaurants in Colorado Springs and This was listed as number 3. My wife and I really enjoyed every aspect of this restaurant. The food was delicious to say the least, and the service was second to none. This by far the best dining experience we have had so far in Colorado. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone wanting to enjoy a great meal with someone they love. I almost forgot to mention that they listen to requests, they gave my wife a single red rose just as I had asked and also were kind to pay for our desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot on for special nightExploringLifeDined on 6/8/2014The meal was great, but it was the outstanding service that made the evening perfect. My daughter's 17th birthday was a big success and a memory we will all treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Star is a gemCnRplusDined on 6/8/2014This place simply doesn't disappoint...menu is variable and uniformly excellent, service warm, personal, attentive, sharp...and the cost is reasonable. Very happy with every experience there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, average experienceefellowDined on 6/5/2014The food here was excellent, no question. However, the overall experience was not. Although less than half of the tables were full (weeknight) and we had made a reservation, it took 3 people and 5 minutes to have our table ready, the wait service was very slow (not just relaxed), and the room was uncomfortably cold. Each of the wait staff's recommendations was the most expensive item in each category, and the individually priced side salads were too expensive when paying $25 for a standalone entree.Special Features:
- Always a treatBillVIPDined on 6/1/2014The service, food and ambiance are perfect. The wine list is superb. Half price wine on Sunday is always a way to try newly discovered wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looks are deceivingMoFoodyDined on 5/30/2014Don't let the outside fool you, inside the staff was very good, and the menu changes frequently. Nice choice of starters and the mussels were excellent. Full bar, and descent wine list, make it a nice place for couples. Not much on the menu for kids, but definite adult friendly. Tough to find a place to park, but definitely worth the effort to dine there.Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful foodTheresaDined on 5/30/2014Great food. Innovative cooking and fantastic taste. Great service too. Loved 15 year old balsamic vinegar with olive oil for bread dipping. Will definitely go back when we visit Colorado Springs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/28/2014The Blue Star made our special night even better! I don't think that there is a bad choice anywhere on this imaginative menu. I had the duck and my wife enjoyed the scallops. Our server was one of the best that I have seen in the Springs. We will be back again and again!Special Features:
- The Dunn's-Our Favorite Place!KevinDined on 5/27/2014We lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years, and this was our favorite local "spot"! Still fabulous...great staff, wonderful food, great wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014Had chance to sit in the wine room. Great Ambiance. The wild boar bolognese was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In The SpringsNicknameVIPDined on 5/20/2014Once again, a perfect evening. This time we ate in the more casual side and everything was just terrific. The formal dining room has always been exceptional and the same can be said for it's more casual room. Place is fantastic in every way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Place to CelebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014We choose this spot using Yelp for its focus on using locally sourced foods. We were a party of seven celebrating a special event and we were treated with special care. Everyone was happy with their food and we did try the full range of selections. The serving staff was genuinely friendly and efficient, attentive without interfering in our experience.Special Features:
- cc parentconnieDined on 5/19/2014We were a party of 10, I made the reservations for CC graduation 6 weeks in advance. I was NOT disappointed! They gave us a great table and our waiter was very attentive! The food was very good. We had a Cordon Bleu trained Chef in our party and he gave Blue Star 4 out of 5 stars! We also had my parents with us and our waiter was VERY patient with them! I really appreciated that!Special Features:
- Top ShelfJaytheManCODined on 5/3/2014The food is always amazing. I had not been here in years. Took the wife for anniversary.Special Features:
- The following 589 reviews are from the The Blue Star reviews archive.
- Superb ServiceSheEats14Dined on 4/29/2014Rates as top notch service, knowledgeable server, good wine list and sommelier. Food, good selections, but seems as if they are trying to hard to be different. The dessert was a total disappointment, creme brulee - cold as ice! Clearly the sugar was done in advance and put in a fridge. I enjoyed having a different and varied menu, but was not as impressed with the food as I was with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service, excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2014We are from the east coast and ate here twice during our short stay. Our server was very attentive, remembered us on our second visit, had great advice about the food. Lamb was outstanding! Everyone enjoyed their dishes and we had a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/22/2014Great meal enjoyed by business associates and myself.Special Features:
- Super findRoxpeteVIPDined on 4/19/2014A friend suggested it and we loved it - a must try!! The cappuccino salad dressing a wonderful surprise. Staff super friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2014We went to the blue star for my wife's birthday with a group of friends. One of our friends is gluten free and we were very impressed with the options they had for her. They even brought her veggies instead of bread for the table. Food and service were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.