The Blue Star
1645 S Tejon
Colorado Springs, CO 80906Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Star
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebluestar.net/
- Phone: (719) 632-1086
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week
Lunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Cocktail Lounge: 3:00pm - 10:00 pm
Dining Room: 5:30pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Will Merwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We personalize to your needs. We do whatever the client wants as long as we can get our hands on it or our brains around it.
- Private Party Facilities: The working wine cellar, the most unique room in the restaurant, seats 22 people and is completely private. We can also section out our dining room for semi-private parties or it can be completely bought out for a private party.
- Private Party Contact: Nikki Lee 719-632-1086x1
- Entertainment: There is no live entertainment, only the staff and owner.
- Special Events: We offer specialty dinners. Please call 719-632-1086 to sign up for these special events.
A word from The Blue Star
Explore our contemporary fusion menu, using only the best in locally grown, fresh ingredients. We provide a global experience of flavors grounded in simplicity, while harmoniously blending bold flavors to create casual elegance on each plate. The Blue Star has established a network of nearby suppliers who, like the restaurant, are striving for both environmental harmony and delicious flavor. We offer two different spaces for two different dining experiences. Each room has its own menu that change based on fresh local product availability and guest feedback. The lounge offers a more social scene and first come/first served seating. The dining room is elegant and is surrounded by sophisticated decor, wood floors, white table cloths and an open kitchen. We are known for our extensive wine list, and offer 1/2 off bottles of wine on Sunday nights. The private Wine Cellar is not available for online booking, but give us a shout for details. Our apologies, but no outside food or beverage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Blue Star - Best Restaurants in Colorado Springs ›
The Blue Star reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (37)notable wine list (34)neighborhood gem (28)romantic (27)good for groups (16)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The food and atmosphere were amazing! However the chef ran out of tuna and I recieved salmon instead. The salmon was delicious and my husband and I got free desserts. So it was a win winSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Find Near BroadmoordiningdivaDined on 11/2/2014There were eight of us going to an event in the Springs, and the restaurant was very accommodating. They called to confirm which was really appreciated. It was upscale with white tablecloths and nice stemware. Food was good with an excellent wine list. We also chose it for its location and proximity to 1-25. If you are traveling through town, stop here for a nice dining experience.Special Features:
- FantasticRedlegphiDined on 10/26/2014My wife and I had dinner in the dining room. The two dishes we had are easily in my top five dishes I've ever had. The prices aren't bad considering the great quality of the food (about $100 for two appetizers, two entrées, and drinks.) Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Every TimeNicknameVIPDined on 10/24/2014We dine here whenever visiting the Springs, roughly every couple of months for several years. It is our go to place for a terrific evening. Living in Chicago we see some terrific places but the Blue Star holds its own on every level. Great food, and service in a truly unique environment. Dont miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014I took my husband and two friends here for my husband's birthday. It was our first visit, so we weren't sure what to expect. The service was amazing - we were seated right away, our waiter was friendly, professional, and knowledgeable, and everything came quickly. The dining area (there is also a more casual bar area) was quiet and had a view of the kitchen area where our food was prepared. As for the food, it was simply amazing. I had quail which was perfectly cooked and accompanied by vegetables grown in the restaurant's garden and cooked perfectly. My husband had a lamb shank that melted on the tongue with mashed potatoes so good they were almost a dessert. Simply amazing and worth a visit.Special Features:
- Blue Star, Colorado SpringsJosephDined on 10/19/2014Well prepared meals with eclectic twists. Monthly changes to menu so it never gets "old"... Bar room has separate menu for more choices. Locally sourced foods, notably breads and produce. Private dining in "wine room" a special treat for groups.Special Features:
- great choice!MomentscaughtVIPDined on 10/17/2014We chose to dine at blue star while visiting our son for parents weekend at Colorado College, and wanted something fun with great food. Blue Star did not disappoint, the place was lively but still able to hold great conversations. The staff was incredible, actually added to the experience and the food was terrific. My son is a vegetarian and they had many creative and wonderful choices for him, yet the rest of the family enjoyed all the non veggie options too! We will be back the next time we visit our son for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and presentation.Thegreens42Dined on 10/14/2014Everything was great. The food was delicious, and the service was wonderful. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not bad for colorado springsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014coming from chicago, i find the selection of good restaurants here to be sparse. blue star was pretty good. thanks to my hairdresser, constantine at j gregory, for he recommendation.Special Features:
- wonderfu!awtakontrlDined on 10/9/2014this was my husband and my first time here. the service was great! the food was delicious, at out 730pm reset action. the place itself was very nice and quite. perfect for what we wanted on this night. it wasn't very busy, maybe 4-5 tables and two servers. josh and his partner (can't remember her name (he told us in case we needed anything, but we didn't have interaction with her). josh was very attentive and made sure our dinner was perfect. he checked on us often enough, but definitely not too much. the food was great! I had the filet and my husband had the ahi. delicious! the food was great, but Josh's service was phenomenal. thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Star, a Diamond in the rough!DbrazDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary at the Blue Star. Our server, Jackie was a lovely young lady who was attentive and spoiled us. The food and ambiance are stellar, I'm a Celiac and the staff was very careful. The wine selection was fantastic, the Sommelier was very helpful in making recommendations. Overall The Blue Star, is high on our go to list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great finish to our Wedding WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014We arrived at the Blue Star, my wife's first experience there and the restaurant and the staff couldn't have been better. Excellent service, waiters were very knowledgeable of the menu items, great drinks, and just the atmosphere that you are looking for for "date night." We were both impressed and will definitely comeback again!Special Features:
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014The food was amazing. Nice atmosphere. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to its usual standardsLocalgalDined on 9/19/2014Not sure what's up but this was a disappointing dinner. The service was disjointed and tremendously slow-making us feel like an afterthought. And the restaurant was not necessarily busy. We had to ask if there were any specials. We sent back a very well-done steak that was ordered medium rare. The lighting was off- the restaurant used to feel more intimate- now feels plain and a bit worn. Subtle issues but I will think twice before choosing Blue Star for a special celebration. This makes me sad because it was always a sure thing for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalDerekDined on 9/18/2014This place has it down. The food not only tasted great, it looked awesome and was a very generous portion. The drinks were tasty and the dessert was worth it. You've GOT to try the Corleone...amazing. The ambiance was fantastic. Candle-lit tables are a great touch. You're missing out if you haven't tried the Blue Star.Special Features:
- Double GDoubleG56Dined on 9/17/2014Service, food and wine are top five in Colorado Springs. The restaurant is set up for a fun group outing or nice quiet dinner with friends in the wine room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It lives Up To The HypeMaximillian00VIPDined on 9/12/2014If not for OpenTable, I would never have discovered this place. The reviews are almost all great and for good reason. The food is fresh and delicious. The wine list was very extensive and had some excellent wines at very good prices. Service was outstanding. We ate in the restaurant portion this first visit but look forward to returning to eat in the bar next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Birthday DinnerKanjaDined on 9/7/2014Great place for a special occasion! The food is unique, excellent wine list and a the dessert trio is a perfect way to finish off the evening. We were pleasantly surprised when our server reminded us that on Sunday most of the wines on their extensive list were 1/2 off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DKW1dkwDined on 8/31/2014The food was really good, the service was great. Parking was a little difficult on a busy night.Special Features:
- Awesome!vegandinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014We had a group of nine, and all of us were from out of town. The Blue Star was recommended to us by a restaurant owner in Denver. Everyone loved the food and the atmosphere. Service was great. We will definitely eat there again when we are in the Springs - or we may make a trip to the Springs just to eat there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine CellarAntonDined on 8/31/2014Dined in wine cellar. Excellent ! Great waitress. Excellent food. Will ask to eat in this venue the next time we go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KristinCSGemDined on 8/30/2014Second visit to this restaurant and very pleased with its menu, service and atmosphere. Great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent qualityfoodloverDined on 8/21/2014One of the top restaurants in Colorado Springs. Innovative specials. The two levels of dining provide flexibility.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of CO SpringsCityGirlintheSpringsVIPDined on 8/20/2014The Blue Star is always my first choice in town, serving sophisticated, beautifully prepared and presented contemporary cuisine. In a town where excellent dining choices are thin, Blue Star never disappoints. Choose the casually elegant dining room for special occasion dining, or the colorful, hipster-ish bar room (a spacious dining room unto itself), where you can select from both the more relaxed bar menu or the dining room menu. The cocktails can't be beat -- although I'll really be happy when they resurrect the glorious White Manhattan!Special Features:
- Awesome gem!PeterVIPDined on 8/6/2014Loved it! Great service and the Martinez is an awesome drink, would get there anytime I am in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chuckDined on 8/2/2014Very noisy, service less than adequate, food very average. There are much better places.
- Good Food - Lousy ServicePeak14115Dined on 7/29/2014Service the first 30 minutes was great, but as soon as the dining room became busy our servers abandoned my part of two in favor of larger groups and larger tips. Clearly a case of insufficient staffing and poor training. While the food was quite good with an interesting menu I'm not sure I will return. At their prices, we deserved far better.
- Better but still not greatJJ42VIPDined on 7/28/2014I never went last summer because there was nothing on the menu that I wanted to eat. Too much "fusion". The menu is better this summer and the food was OK. Not great but well served.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Arrived 45 minutes prior to our reservation to have HH drink at the bar. Bartender ignored us until we asked about HH specials. He then said HH is over. It was two minutes after HH so we said well we were here before it was over and he acted annoyed and put out. When we went to our table our server was pleasant but absent. Another server answered our questions about the menu. Our food was so salty I could not eat it. You could not even taste the food. I was turned off by this time. We payed and left.
- The following 619 reviews are from the The Blue Star reviews archive.
- Bad TableOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/21/2014The food was great. Creative and very flavorful. But they sat us in a room with a group business meeting and, unbelievably, a small political rally behind a curtain in the middle of the room. After several comments about the bad seats, our waiter got the hint, moved us to a quiet room and we were able to enjoy dinner. But the first thirty minutes took a bite out of the dining experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceJamieDined on 7/21/2014Very much enjoyed our experience at the Blue Star. We were a party of seven and the service and food was wonderful. Everyone enjoyed their food and I really liked the chef's sea bean salad that they had that evening. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- A Nice EveningFineWineandDineDined on 7/20/2014We took our 18 year old grandson to the Blue Star to celebrate his birthday. He is a busboy at a local restaurant and he told the chef at that restaurant where we were taking him. The chef advised, "Order anything. It'll be great!" And that it was. He ordered mussels for an appetizer then quail as his entree and ate every bite. My wife and I both enjoyed our experience as well. We've eaten there before but had not been there in a while but we'll be back again...soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/20/2014Dinner was wonderful and service was quick. Just what we needed.Special Features:
- Great PlacedavilaDined on 7/11/2014Title says it all. Definitely going back. The food was good, the drinks were good. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServiceCptPanduhDined on 7/11/2014I set up a reservation and our servers practically bent head over heels for us, and even heeded my reservation requests, which is something that is rarely done. The servers were actually happy and excited to be working at The Blue Star, even though it was a Friday night. Excellent service. 10/10, would dine there again.Special Features:
- Pleasing CelebrationQuietEleganceDined on 7/10/2014The meal was an appropriate sized portion. You weren't stuffed but you didn't go hungry. Food was a high quality. Dishes were fresh and cooked to your request. Menu selections were elegant. Service was accommodating but not smothering.Special Features:
- RoadWarriorsDined on 7/9/2014We had a party of 7 and are big food sharers, so I got to sample most of the dishes. All were excellent, including the deserts. My group is from out of town, so we ate out every night this week. Having Crème Brule at 5 different spots this week, Blue Stars was by far the best. the only negative comment was the portion size. We are not mass volume value eaters, but even for fine diners the portions were a bit small. Two in my party had a fabulous lamb soup that looked lonely in the bowl.....the bowl appeared to be less than half full. So even though the food was fabulous, my group rated Blue Star 4th out of the 5 dining establishments we visited this week mostly because of the portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic2wineloversDined on 7/6/2014We went on Sunday for half price bottles of wine. Calamarie and chicken wraps outstanding. Server Brandie lovely and attentive. Chef Will came to our table to discuss his food philosophy and my husbands dairy allergy. Sophie a beautiful knowledgeable sommelier. Do yourself a favor and go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woth Driving to Co SpringsksdinerDined on 7/5/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants and this time we were even more impressed. We were seated in the wine cellar, lovely and romantic. The service was the best we have ever experienced here. Food was wonderfully prepared and presented. The wine recommendation was perfect. We highly recommend the Blue Star for a special event dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedcomum22Dined on 6/26/2014We took our two children (17 and 13) here for a good grades dinner. After we were seated we were greeted by our server who was friendly and efficient throughout the meal. She was the only server that night (or so it appeared) and she never let service slide. We ordered a bottle of wine off the extensive wine list suggested by the sommelier which was lovely and complemented our meals. Everyone had something different from hors d'oeuvre, to main course, to dessert. We have been here for several special meals since we moved to Colorado Springs 10 years ago and have NEVER been disappointed. It is definitely our GO TO restaurant when we want to celebrate a special occasion. We can always depend on The Blue Star for exceptional food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.