The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
653 Washington St.
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.blueroseinn.com/
- Phone: 6094355468x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Michael Keating
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
A word from The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
The Blue Rose Inn & Restaurant is a beautifully restored B&B and fine dining establishment. Our restaurant prides itself on being a scratch kitchen, so all of our dishes are skillfully created. The Blue Rose is a BYO restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (97)romantic (93)special occasion (92)neighborhood gem (81)great for outdoor dining (62)good for groups (17)scenic view (16)great for brunch (13)hot spot (8)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Fab dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Visiting Cape May as we often do, we decided to try a new spot. Hotel was right across the street from Blue Rose so we took a peek at a menu and decided we liked their style. Everything was perfect, great server, interested owner and what a great chef. Everything made in house. Outstanding were the Parmesan bread at the beginning, steak tartare for an appetizer and finally homemade tortellini filled with squash and risotto. No room for dessert, but we'll be back! Bravo, Blue Rose MargauxSpecial Features:
- Five starsLarryLDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I ate dinner at the restaurant. We did not stay at the inn. What a fabulous dinner. Calamari salad was delicious. Pumpkin soup was great. Our entrees (terrestrial major-beef shoulder) and sautéed scallops for the wife were excellent. Highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SueFoodDined on 10/3/2014Excellent meal. Best scallops. Love seeing Steak Tartar on a menu other than in NYC or France. Excellent presentation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014Great food, ambiance, service. Would definitely go again. I have been there a few times before, and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this family-owned restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/2/2014The calamari salad appetizer here is so good that I order my own. (I feel guilty asking my husband to share his with me!) The calamari is breaded with cornmeal and lightly fried, so it's tender but not oily. The arugula and pickled cucumber complete the salad--yum!Special Features:
- 5 Stars, Best In Southern NJjdemosDined on 9/29/2014We have now eaten here 17 times. Their food is consistent and high quality while being fresh all the time. Every meal we have had has been excellent and the same as before which is a wonderful thing, consistency. Meals here have multiple levels of taste, creativity, eye appeal with outstanding presentation and flavor. The dining rooms are clean, immaculate and inviting. The service is professional. Enjoy the special treats of this 5-star restaurant that is not only the best in Cape May, but best in all of Southern Jersey for me. They use locally sourced ingredients. The restaurant is a BYO. I highly recommend you try this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding find in Cape MayLeeFVIPDined on 9/27/2014We discovered this through open table and trip advisor on our second visit to Cape May. It is one of the best meals we have had anywhere in recent times. The service was outstanding. Great for a romantic evening.Special Features:
- a rose without thornsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014while attending the sea glass festival, my wife and i had the pleasure of dining at the blue rose. the food was gourmet delicious, especially the calamari appetizer and the sea scallop entree. we were greeted by the manager, jason, who was anxious to see that we had a better than average experience. we did. i have already recommended this fine restaurant to several friends. truly a bon appetit experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience!devils4everDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our 29th anniversary at the Blue Rose. We were both very pleased with our choice. I had the scallops which were some of the best I ever had. They were very fresh and flavorful. My wife had the beef short ribs which were equal to my scallops in terms of flavor. The meat was fork tender. Service was attentive even though it was a busy night. The only downside to dining here was the lack of parking. Only street parking is offered since they don't have a parking lot. During a busy summer or fall weekend, plan on getting there early to find a place to park or walk there from you inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014This restaurant couldn't have been nicer. Megan, our waitress, was terrific and recommended the scallops. We were not disappointed. Everything from the warm bread (filled with cheese) to the steak tartare, scallops and lemon donuts was absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great find!FunincapemayDined on 9/25/2014We had the early seating at The Blue Rose as we had tickets for a play. We later learned.....I think I missed the information online...we could have combined dinner and the play for less than we paid separately. Staff was warm and friendly and knowledgable. The food was very well prepared and presented. It was a very enjoyable evening for just my husband and me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem on Washington StnjkaraDined on 9/20/2014The dinner was delicious the place was enchanting. We didn't know what to really expect after having a very disappointing dinner at another Cape May restaurant the previous evening - the Blue Rose met & exceeded our expectations. The pasta is home made- the pork melts in your mouth- The crabcakes were- shockingly actually full of crab! Our dinner was five star- fresh, light delicious- nothing drowning in heavy sauces- just enough to accent the quality of the food. Do not skip the desserts- they are also home made and completely decadent!! Soo happy we found this place- will be back again in the fall!Special Features:
- Memorable Anniversary DinnerLolaDined on 9/20/2014So glad we took our Innkeeper's recommendation & made a reservation for our anniversary dinner at the Blue Rose Inn & Restaurant in Cape May! It was an extraordinary meal! The food, service & ambiance all exceeded expectations. Since we were celebrating our 44th wedding anniversary, we had plenty of previous celebratory dinners with which to compare our meal at the Blue Rose Inn, and yet this exceptional restaurant was definitely among the most memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gr8FoodDined on 9/20/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. The ambiance was that of a beautiful restored Victorian home decorated for the fall. All the windows were opened and the evening breeze was perfect. All the food were perfectly proportionate! Not too much and Not too little! The mixture of flavors used in all their appetizers and entrees were soft and very appealing to the pallet. Upon leaving, I made another reservation to return!!Special Features:
- Our second timejzucheroVIPDined on 9/16/2014We visited the Blue Rose for dinner this past week. We were introduced to the restaurant a few months again and liked it so much we decided to try again. What a great dinner. In September at Cape May the evenings are fairly quiet and sitting out on the porch at the Blue Rose was quiet, relaxed, and very nice. The food was great. I had the Coffee & Cocoa Crusted Teres Major and my wife had the Carrot & Lemon Ricotta Agnolotti. Both dishes were prepared with attention to detail and with perfect seasoning. Great restaurant and BYOB.Special Features:
- A perfectly quiet dinnerPJRspecialsDined on 9/15/2014Shortly after we arrived, we were the only two in the room (off season). Larissa, a young Russian working on her English, was polite and efficient. The menu tended toward seafood and it was difficult to make up our minds because everything sounded so good. I had a gnocchi appetizer, which was delicious, and scallops, which were tasty too. We enjoy a quiet restaurant with a lovely ambiance.Special Features:
- Would go back to Blue RoseHappyeaterDined on 9/15/2014We ended up having a great dinner at the Blue Rose - started out a little rocky - we were seated on the porch, which is lovely, and told that John would be our server - we watched two other parties come in, be seated, get menus and order, and no one had come to our table at all. Finally, on the verge of leaving, we gestured at the waiter - John, - he immediately came over - apologized, and said there'd been a misunderstanding about who had which tables, he was shortly followed by the manager, who apologized profusely, and comped dessert, we proceeded to have a lovely dinner - the food is excellent - what we ate was beautifully prepared and served - I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2014Overall it was a pleasant dinner, but I was a little underwhelmed by both the food and the service. The corn bisque, duck ravioli, bread and chocolate truffle were all excellent; the papardelle with smoked pork, by contrast, was heavy and bland. Homemade pasta should almost float on the plate; this -- did not, and the few shreds of meat tasted like pot roast. The service, while earnest, was flawed. For one, no server (or host) should ever allow the phrase, "you guys" to pass through his or her lips -- a simple, "How are you?" is better than anything including "you guys." Our server mixed up our order twice, had to take the bill back to add the bottle of water, hovered sometimes, did not check water glasses.... not very professional.Special Features:
- graham29Dined on 9/14/2014The staff was welcoming and the porch a pleasant place to dine. We had the fixed early menu at $35, all items attractively prepared in a somewhat different style than usually found in Cape May. My wife liked the style much more than I. It's worth a try, but study the menu before you go. Parking can be a problem, and they don't offer much help on their website.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lemon Ricotta Doughnuts OutstandingProbowleryVIPDined on 9/13/2014Did not start off well since it was pouring rain and there is no parking close by the restaurant. My group had the mussels, bibb salad and corn bisque all were great but the mussels could have used more sauce. For our entrees we had the Pork Pappardelle and Salmon that were outstanding. Two of us had the steak (Teres Major) mine was done incorrectly but they took it back right away. I never had a steak shoulder so didn't really know what to expect and I didn't think it was all that great a cut of meat but I still enjoyed it. We all got the Lemon Ricotta Doughnuts with homemade coffee ice cream, they were outstanding. Love that it is a BYOB so that we could bring our own wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014What a find! The food was excellent and service was outstanding. All the decor was in blue (hence the name) and it was very romantic. We sat on the porch with two other couples and it was a memorable night.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014It was not a busy night for our visit but overall it was a very enjoyable night. The food was delicious and very not when it arrived at our table. Very attentive service.Special Features:
- Busy Weekend!bldbeachVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner with friends we hadn't seen in years on Saturday night; all of us were delighted with our selections and planned to repeat our experience soon. The next day we had plans with a different couple from out of town to have brunch at another restaurant, and due to a power failure in their kitchen we had to quickly make other arrangements. Thanks to Open Table., we were able to get right back to The Blue Rose and they kindly accommodated our party at the last minute. We had a wonderful brunch on the porch and made it home (almost) in time for the Eagles game! The food is excellent but the hospitality and service make it special. The beautiful Victorian decor in soft blues is the icing on the cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, charming restaurantlgodivaDined on 9/6/2014Our group of six girlfriends had one of our best dinners ever in Cape May last weekend, while on our annual weekend getaway. The scallops were heavenly, as was the coconut creme brulee! Our server was very friendly and helpful. It was a bit hot (the restaurant could use a ceiling fan to keep the air circulating), but otherwise we had a wonderful experience and highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find in cape may njPadinerDined on 9/6/2014We love to find wonderful little dining spots. This was just such a place. The owners were delightful and the servers were attentive and very pleasant. This is a byob which we prefer. The menu was interesting and very up to date. The food was all very fresh and delightfully prepared. We started with the calamari salad and the corn chowder. After we had the scallops and the crab cake. Unfortunately we had to forgo dessert but they looked lovely. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014This was out 4th time at the restaurant. The food remains fabulous! The table we were seated in was in front of the kitchen and it was stifling! Big temperature variations between the rooms, made one in our party extremely uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Solid fareDessertlessDined on 9/6/2014We had the corn chowder and calamari to start, both very nice, and the beef short ribs and especially good shredded pork papardelle as main courses. Just the right sizes for all plates. Bring a nice bottle of wine (BYOB without a corkage fee).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCamiVIPDined on 9/5/2014A new favorite. Short ribs are outstanding as are the appetizers. Porch is lovely but can be buggy. Very relaxing and romantic with piped in music. A must in Cape May!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experiencepwolfDined on 9/3/2014Warm welcome; very appropriate "Victorian" dining room; very pleasant & knowledgeable server. The flavors of the food were great and the dishes were nicely presented. Our biggest complaint was that on a very slow evening (only 1/3 of tables were filled) the wait for each course was way too long. And when the food did arrive, it was barely warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, beautiful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014The food was outstanding . Service was excellent. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great restaurantopentableloverDined on 9/2/2014Food was fantastic! Our server was so enjoyable - could not have asked for a better place. I can't wait to go back! Make sure you order the scallops for dinner and donuts for dessert. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedAnniebVIPDined on 9/1/2014We are not sure why there are good if not great reviews of The Blue Rose as we were very underwhelmed. This started with being seated in a large, long room that lacked any warm feeling to it. The food was very dry. We shared the gnocchi appetizer and it was dry. My husband had the short ribs which were also dry and lacked flavor. I had the crab cake and although it was all crab, it also had a lack of flavor. As we were not impressed at all, we opted not to have dessert and will not be returning to this restaurant when there are so many other great choices in Cape May.
- Best Cape May MealfoodiesinloveDined on 8/31/2014We celebrated our Anniversary at the Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant based on recommendations we saw on-line. The on-line reviews were terrific and we wondered how our experience could possibly live up to the hype - The Blue Rose exceeded our expectations. The flavors were so unique - white corn (with crab) bisque, the calamari salad and pork belly with arrancini for our first course. We both had the scallops with risotto for our second course. The scallops were perfectly done and the flavors of the risotto were delicate and didn't overpower. Dessert was beyond compare - lemon ricotta donuts with homemade coffee ice cream and coconut rum creme brûlée. We have dined all over Cape May throughout the years and have found a new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AugieVIPDined on 8/31/2014We ate in the middle dining room which was very bright. Wish they would dim the lighting and place some candles on the tables as the inn is beautiful and would reflect the atmosphere of fine dining.
- DisappointedBQRatingVIPDined on 8/29/2014I was searching for a new restaurant to replace the Ebbit Room after 2 years of below par dining experiences there.Chose The Blue Rose based on the positive Open Table reviews.What a disappointment as the reviews have overated this establishment.Food was just ok,service was inexperienced and the atmosphere left a lot to be desired.Special Features:
- Fine Dining in Cape MayFoodfinesDined on 8/29/2014I was looking for a new place to eat in Cape May, came across excellent reviews for The Blue Rose. I booked a reservation for my husband and I in advance and was so glad I did. First the resturant is in a quaint bed an breakfast, upon arriving we were greeted by friendly staff, and had no wait for our table. I can not rave enough of how great the food was, I ordered the bib salad with goat cheese and beet jelly sounds weird but it was excellent for main course I had the scallops that were cooked perfect, for dessert we shared the ricotta lemon donuts ! Omg don't pass them up. Great place would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definite must do in Cape MayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Second time here this summer and both visits exceptional. We had the crab cake and the ahi appetizer, both wonderful. Main course was the salmon and the snapper special which we're both excellent. We have had some mediocre meals this summer at some highly ranked restaurants in Cape May and some really poor meals at some lessor ranked places. Nice to find another dependable place besides Washington Inn. The food at the Blue Rose is excellent and the porch setting is very nice on a sweet summer evening. BYOB is another very attractive feature. Service friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Fantastic!AT27Dined on 8/28/2014Food was amazing! Service was attentive and friendly! Absolutely enjoyable experience. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely celebration dinner.n2o2docDined on 8/26/2014I recently had the chance to try The Blue Rose for a dinner celebrating one of my medical residents graduating and took her to dinner with my family. We had excellent food, good service and a very nice night out. Will recommend to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Good That We Went Twice!MaxBoboDined on 8/26/2014We only had 3 nights in Cape May so we booked them all in advance. We had never been to the Blue Rose, but the reviews were compelling and the place looked beautiful. They greeted us in a warm and friendly fashion AND wished us a Happy Anniversary, which I had added in the Open Table notes section. Our server, Megan, was nothing short of fantastic. She explained the menu items to us and really made us feel right at home. We both had the scallop dish and after the first couple of bites, my wife turned to me and said "best...scallops...EVER!" She was right! They were cooked to perfection and sat on a delicious bed of risotto. The whole dinner was wonderful that we booked a reservation for the following night. Not to be missed!Special Features: