The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
653 Washington St.
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.blueroseinn.com/
- Phone: 6094355468x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Michael Keating
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
A word from The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
The Blue Rose Inn & Restaurant is a beautifully restored B&B and fine dining establishment. Our restaurant prides itself on being a scratch kitchen, so all of our dishes are skillfully created. The Blue Rose is a BYO restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (101)romantic (98)special occasion (94)neighborhood gem (85)great for outdoor dining (70)great for brunch (17)scenic view (16)good for groups (12)hot spot (7)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2014Overall it was a pleasant dinner, but I was a little underwhelmed by both the food and the service. The corn bisque, duck ravioli, bread and chocolate truffle were all excellent; the papardelle with smoked pork, by contrast, was heavy and bland. Homemade pasta should almost float on the plate; this -- did not, and the few shreds of meat tasted like pot roast. The service, while earnest, was flawed. For one, no server (or host) should ever allow the phrase, "you guys" to pass through his or her lips -- a simple, "How are you?" is better than anything including "you guys." Our server mixed up our order twice, had to take the bill back to add the bottle of water, hovered sometimes, did not check water glasses.... not very professional.Special Features:
- graham29Dined on 9/14/2014The staff was welcoming and the porch a pleasant place to dine. We had the fixed early menu at $35, all items attractively prepared in a somewhat different style than usually found in Cape May. My wife liked the style much more than I. It's worth a try, but study the menu before you go. Parking can be a problem, and they don't offer much help on their website.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lemon Ricotta Doughnuts OutstandingProbowleryVIPDined on 9/13/2014Did not start off well since it was pouring rain and there is no parking close by the restaurant. My group had the mussels, bibb salad and corn bisque all were great but the mussels could have used more sauce. For our entrees we had the Pork Pappardelle and Salmon that were outstanding. Two of us had the steak (Teres Major) mine was done incorrectly but they took it back right away. I never had a steak shoulder so didn't really know what to expect and I didn't think it was all that great a cut of meat but I still enjoyed it. We all got the Lemon Ricotta Doughnuts with homemade coffee ice cream, they were outstanding. Love that it is a BYOB so that we could bring our own wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014What a find! The food was excellent and service was outstanding. All the decor was in blue (hence the name) and it was very romantic. We sat on the porch with two other couples and it was a memorable night.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014It was not a busy night for our visit but overall it was a very enjoyable night. The food was delicious and very not when it arrived at our table. Very attentive service.Special Features:
- Busy Weekend!bldbeachVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner with friends we hadn't seen in years on Saturday night; all of us were delighted with our selections and planned to repeat our experience soon. The next day we had plans with a different couple from out of town to have brunch at another restaurant, and due to a power failure in their kitchen we had to quickly make other arrangements. Thanks to Open Table., we were able to get right back to The Blue Rose and they kindly accommodated our party at the last minute. We had a wonderful brunch on the porch and made it home (almost) in time for the Eagles game! The food is excellent but the hospitality and service make it special. The beautiful Victorian decor in soft blues is the icing on the cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, charming restaurantlgodivaDined on 9/6/2014Our group of six girlfriends had one of our best dinners ever in Cape May last weekend, while on our annual weekend getaway. The scallops were heavenly, as was the coconut creme brulee! Our server was very friendly and helpful. It was a bit hot (the restaurant could use a ceiling fan to keep the air circulating), but otherwise we had a wonderful experience and highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find in cape may njPadinerDined on 9/6/2014We love to find wonderful little dining spots. This was just such a place. The owners were delightful and the servers were attentive and very pleasant. This is a byob which we prefer. The menu was interesting and very up to date. The food was all very fresh and delightfully prepared. We started with the calamari salad and the corn chowder. After we had the scallops and the crab cake. Unfortunately we had to forgo dessert but they looked lovely. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014This was out 4th time at the restaurant. The food remains fabulous! The table we were seated in was in front of the kitchen and it was stifling! Big temperature variations between the rooms, made one in our party extremely uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Solid fareDessertlessDined on 9/6/2014We had the corn chowder and calamari to start, both very nice, and the beef short ribs and especially good shredded pork papardelle as main courses. Just the right sizes for all plates. Bring a nice bottle of wine (BYOB without a corkage fee).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCamiVIPDined on 9/5/2014A new favorite. Short ribs are outstanding as are the appetizers. Porch is lovely but can be buggy. Very relaxing and romantic with piped in music. A must in Cape May!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experiencepwolfDined on 9/3/2014Warm welcome; very appropriate "Victorian" dining room; very pleasant & knowledgeable server. The flavors of the food were great and the dishes were nicely presented. Our biggest complaint was that on a very slow evening (only 1/3 of tables were filled) the wait for each course was way too long. And when the food did arrive, it was barely warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, beautiful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014The food was outstanding . Service was excellent. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great restaurantopentableloverDined on 9/2/2014Food was fantastic! Our server was so enjoyable - could not have asked for a better place. I can't wait to go back! Make sure you order the scallops for dinner and donuts for dessert. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedAnniebVIPDined on 9/1/2014We are not sure why there are good if not great reviews of The Blue Rose as we were very underwhelmed. This started with being seated in a large, long room that lacked any warm feeling to it. The food was very dry. We shared the gnocchi appetizer and it was dry. My husband had the short ribs which were also dry and lacked flavor. I had the crab cake and although it was all crab, it also had a lack of flavor. As we were not impressed at all, we opted not to have dessert and will not be returning to this restaurant when there are so many other great choices in Cape May.
- Best Cape May MealfoodiesinloveDined on 8/31/2014We celebrated our Anniversary at the Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant based on recommendations we saw on-line. The on-line reviews were terrific and we wondered how our experience could possibly live up to the hype - The Blue Rose exceeded our expectations. The flavors were so unique - white corn (with crab) bisque, the calamari salad and pork belly with arrancini for our first course. We both had the scallops with risotto for our second course. The scallops were perfectly done and the flavors of the risotto were delicate and didn't overpower. Dessert was beyond compare - lemon ricotta donuts with homemade coffee ice cream and coconut rum creme brûlée. We have dined all over Cape May throughout the years and have found a new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AugieVIPDined on 8/31/2014We ate in the middle dining room which was very bright. Wish they would dim the lighting and place some candles on the tables as the inn is beautiful and would reflect the atmosphere of fine dining.
- DisappointedBQRatingVIPDined on 8/29/2014I was searching for a new restaurant to replace the Ebbit Room after 2 years of below par dining experiences there.Chose The Blue Rose based on the positive Open Table reviews.What a disappointment as the reviews have overated this establishment.Food was just ok,service was inexperienced and the atmosphere left a lot to be desired.Special Features:
- Fine Dining in Cape MayFoodfinesDined on 8/29/2014I was looking for a new place to eat in Cape May, came across excellent reviews for The Blue Rose. I booked a reservation for my husband and I in advance and was so glad I did. First the resturant is in a quaint bed an breakfast, upon arriving we were greeted by friendly staff, and had no wait for our table. I can not rave enough of how great the food was, I ordered the bib salad with goat cheese and beet jelly sounds weird but it was excellent for main course I had the scallops that were cooked perfect, for dessert we shared the ricotta lemon donuts ! Omg don't pass them up. Great place would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definite must do in Cape MayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Second time here this summer and both visits exceptional. We had the crab cake and the ahi appetizer, both wonderful. Main course was the salmon and the snapper special which we're both excellent. We have had some mediocre meals this summer at some highly ranked restaurants in Cape May and some really poor meals at some lessor ranked places. Nice to find another dependable place besides Washington Inn. The food at the Blue Rose is excellent and the porch setting is very nice on a sweet summer evening. BYOB is another very attractive feature. Service friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Fantastic!AT27Dined on 8/28/2014Food was amazing! Service was attentive and friendly! Absolutely enjoyable experience. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely celebration dinner.n2o2docDined on 8/26/2014I recently had the chance to try The Blue Rose for a dinner celebrating one of my medical residents graduating and took her to dinner with my family. We had excellent food, good service and a very nice night out. Will recommend to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Good That We Went Twice!MaxBoboDined on 8/26/2014We only had 3 nights in Cape May so we booked them all in advance. We had never been to the Blue Rose, but the reviews were compelling and the place looked beautiful. They greeted us in a warm and friendly fashion AND wished us a Happy Anniversary, which I had added in the Open Table notes section. Our server, Megan, was nothing short of fantastic. She explained the menu items to us and really made us feel right at home. We both had the scallop dish and after the first couple of bites, my wife turned to me and said "best...scallops...EVER!" She was right! They were cooked to perfection and sat on a delicious bed of risotto. The whole dinner was wonderful that we booked a reservation for the following night. Not to be missed!Special Features:
- Ridiculously TastykerryDined on 8/26/2014Scallops were prepared perfect. The risotto was delicious. Mussels, steak tartar and arancini with pork belly were ridiculously tasty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPannyDined on 8/25/2014Definitely a must go to place! Service was great and food was even better. My husband had the pork belly arancini and it was fabulous. I had the gnocchi and it was delicious although I like my husbands app better. For main, my husband had scallops - best scallops I ever had! I had the trees major which was fantastic- you can definitely taste the rub and it was cooked perfectly . Definitely try the doughnuts if you have room. First time here and would def go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeteDined on 8/23/2014Best restaurant in Cape May and we have eaten in most.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific, with one wrinklePeterVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great food, attentive service, wonderful ambiance. However it needs to be clear that this is a BYOB restaurant. They do sell some local wines (which are good) but no other bar service. Once we got past that, the evening was terrific!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/22/2014Scallops, crab cake and coffee crusted filet are mouth watering, best we have ever enjoyed! Presentation of food and service tops! Especially appreciated the interest and humor of owner Tom "T-kettle" throughout the evening, he strives for a special dining experience for all his guests. We have now put this family run Inn to the top of our Cape May dinner list!Special Features:
- Keeps ImprovingStepsiteVIPDined on 8/21/2014We dined here last year and thought the kitchen had great potential, our recent meal proved that point. The crab cakes, in particular, are delicious. Our issue last year was with the wait staff not being as professional as one would expect for an establishment of this caliber and we were pleasantly surprised on this visit. We will try this restaurant again.
- A pleasurelocaldinerDined on 8/21/2014We've been to the Blue Rose twice, and we were delighted both times. We especially enjoyed the calamari appetizer, which is far more refined and appetizing than the rubber rings most restaurants serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HomemadeluvagoodmealVIPDined on 8/18/2014The best sorbet I ever had, great the best Rhode Island salad, very good salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!GeremiahGDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have been here twice and we cannot rave enough about how world class the food is.Special Features:
- Great Meal!Luv2DineDined on 8/16/2014First time back since changed of owners, and we were pleasantly surprised on how good food was. We went there with my husband, son and his girlfriend. First, we started with appetizers, Pork Belly Ansini, (first time I ever ordered) Loved it, 2 ordered the corn bisque they also Loved it. The girls had the scallops with bacon pea risotto WONDerful...so tasty, my husband and son had the filet mignon flavor with Coffee and Coco, not a morsel of food left on our plates. Also, great desert..left there full and happy. The Blue Rose will be on our list of great resturants to return to next summer!Special Features:
- Blue Rose RestaurantPastagirlDined on 8/16/2014Everyone in my party enjoyed their apps and entrees. Our vegetarian friends were happy with their selections. The crab asparagus bisque Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in Cape MayMitchellsDined on 8/15/2014It was a fantastic dinner. The calamarari was tender and flavorful. The pasta was freshly made and perfect. We can not wait to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining experience...HappyEaterDined on 8/14/2014We wanted to treat our friends from Boston, celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary, to dinner and chose the Blue Rose Inn based upon recent online reviews. We were not disappointed! We were seated -- as requested -- outside on the wrap around porch. Everything is made from scratch; they even grow their own herbs and make their cheeses. Portions were properly sized. Highly recommend the bibb salad (unique and tasty sherry dressing) and prosciutto wrapped in mozzarella, if available. Also, the sweet corn bisque, the crab cakes (small, but all lump meat with no filler) with avocado mousse and jimaca salad, or the pan roasted chicken with polenta and vegetable ragout. For dessert: the "doughnuts" or dark chocolate mousse are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but not perfectScottDined on 8/12/2014Two small complaints: the steak tartare was served on a corn muffin, which was hard, dry and overcooked. The knife sent its bits scattering away madly. And there was very little meat in the dish and so had little beef flavor. The restroom was out of paper towels when I went, and so I was left with wet hands wiping them on my pants. But the scallop dish was outstanding; perfectly cooked, nice portion, paired very well with corn risotto which was both delicious and interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The Blue Rose InnDiningDined on 8/12/2014A wonderful family owned gem in Cape May. Outstanding food and lovely Victorian decor. Perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeHarv40Dined on 8/9/2014Fabulous food…great family run business…we were treated very special by the owner>Special Features:
- Cape MayGwyneddDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed the service and food was outstanding. We will be back.Special Features: