The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
653 Washington St.
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.blueroseinn.com/
- Phone: 6094355468x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Michael Keating
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
A word from The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
The Blue Rose Inn & Restaurant is a beautifully restored B&B and fine dining establishment. Our restaurant prides itself on being a scratch kitchen, so all of our dishes are skillfully created. The Blue Rose is a BYO restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (97)special occasion (93)fit for foodies (92)neighborhood gem (80)great for outdoor dining (64)great for brunch (19)scenic view (15)good for groups (10)hot spot (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Best Cape May MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We celebrated our Anniversary at the Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant based on recommendations we saw on-line. The on-line reviews were terrific and we wondered how our experience could possibly live up to the hype - The Blue Rose exceeded our expectations. The flavors were so unique - white corn (with crab) bisque, the calamari salad and pork belly with arrancini for our first course. We both had the scallops with risotto for our second course. The scallops were perfectly done and the flavors of the risotto were delicate and didn't overpower. Dessert was beyond compare - lemon ricotta donuts with homemade coffee ice cream and coconut rum creme brûlée. We have dined all over Cape May throughout the years and have found a new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in Cape MayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014I was looking for a new place to eat in Cape May, came across excellent reviews for The Blue Rose. I booked a reservation for my husband and I in advance and was so glad I did. First the resturant is in a quaint bed an breakfast, upon arriving we were greeted by friendly staff, and had no wait for our table. I can not rave enough of how great the food was, I ordered the bib salad with goat cheese and beet jelly sounds weird but it was excellent for main course I had the scallops that were cooked perfect, for dessert we shared the ricotta lemon donuts ! Omg don't pass them up. Great place would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definite must do in Cape MayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Second time here this summer and both visits exceptional. We had the crab cake and the ahi appetizer, both wonderful. Main course was the salmon and the snapper special which we're both excellent. We have had some mediocre meals this summer at some highly ranked restaurants in Cape May and some really poor meals at some lessor ranked places. Nice to find another dependable place besides Washington Inn. The food at the Blue Rose is excellent and the porch setting is very nice on a sweet summer evening. BYOB is another very attractive feature. Service friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Fantastic!AT27Dined on 8/28/2014Food was amazing! Service was attentive and friendly! Absolutely enjoyable experience. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely celebration dinner.n2o2docDined on 8/26/2014I recently had the chance to try The Blue Rose for a dinner celebrating one of my medical residents graduating and took her to dinner with my family. We had excellent food, good service and a very nice night out. Will recommend to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously TastykerryDined on 8/26/2014Scallops were prepared perfect. The risotto was delicious. Mussels, steak tartar and arancini with pork belly were ridiculously tasty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPannyDined on 8/25/2014Definitely a must go to place! Service was great and food was even better. My husband had the pork belly arancini and it was fabulous. I had the gnocchi and it was delicious although I like my husbands app better. For main, my husband had scallops - best scallops I ever had! I had the trees major which was fantastic- you can definitely taste the rub and it was cooked perfectly . Definitely try the doughnuts if you have room. First time here and would def go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeteDined on 8/23/2014Best restaurant in Cape May and we have eaten in most.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific, with one wrinklePeterVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great food, attentive service, wonderful ambiance. However it needs to be clear that this is a BYOB restaurant. They do sell some local wines (which are good) but no other bar service. Once we got past that, the evening was terrific!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/22/2014Scallops, crab cake and coffee crusted filet are mouth watering, best we have ever enjoyed! Presentation of food and service tops! Especially appreciated the interest and humor of owner Tom "T-kettle" throughout the evening, he strives for a special dining experience for all his guests. We have now put this family run Inn to the top of our Cape May dinner list!Special Features:
- Keeps ImprovingStepsiteVIPDined on 8/21/2014We dined here last year and thought the kitchen had great potential, our recent meal proved that point. The crab cakes, in particular, are delicious. Our issue last year was with the wait staff not being as professional as one would expect for an establishment of this caliber and we were pleasantly surprised on this visit. We will try this restaurant again.
- A pleasurelocaldinerDined on 8/21/2014We've been to the Blue Rose twice, and we were delighted both times. We especially enjoyed the calamari appetizer, which is far more refined and appetizing than the rubber rings most restaurants serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HomemadeluvagoodmealVIPDined on 8/18/2014The best sorbet I ever had, great the best Rhode Island salad, very good salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!GeremiahGDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have been here twice and we cannot rave enough about how world class the food is.Special Features:
- Great Meal!Luv2DineDined on 8/16/2014First time back since changed of owners, and we were pleasantly surprised on how good food was. We went there with my husband, son and his girlfriend. First, we started with appetizers, Pork Belly Ansini, (first time I ever ordered) Loved it, 2 ordered the corn bisque they also Loved it. The girls had the scallops with bacon pea risotto WONDerful...so tasty, my husband and son had the filet mignon flavor with Coffee and Coco, not a morsel of food left on our plates. Also, great desert..left there full and happy. The Blue Rose will be on our list of great resturants to return to next summer!Special Features:
- Blue Rose RestaurantPastagirlDined on 8/16/2014Everyone in my party enjoyed their apps and entrees. Our vegetarian friends were happy with their selections. The crab asparagus bisque Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in Cape MayMitchellsDined on 8/15/2014It was a fantastic dinner. The calamarari was tender and flavorful. The pasta was freshly made and perfect. We can not wait to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining experience...HappyEaterDined on 8/14/2014We wanted to treat our friends from Boston, celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary, to dinner and chose the Blue Rose Inn based upon recent online reviews. We were not disappointed! We were seated -- as requested -- outside on the wrap around porch. Everything is made from scratch; they even grow their own herbs and make their cheeses. Portions were properly sized. Highly recommend the bibb salad (unique and tasty sherry dressing) and prosciutto wrapped in mozzarella, if available. Also, the sweet corn bisque, the crab cakes (small, but all lump meat with no filler) with avocado mousse and jimaca salad, or the pan roasted chicken with polenta and vegetable ragout. For dessert: the "doughnuts" or dark chocolate mousse are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but not perfectScottDined on 8/12/2014Two small complaints: the steak tartare was served on a corn muffin, which was hard, dry and overcooked. The knife sent its bits scattering away madly. And there was very little meat in the dish and so had little beef flavor. The restroom was out of paper towels when I went, and so I was left with wet hands wiping them on my pants. But the scallop dish was outstanding; perfectly cooked, nice portion, paired very well with corn risotto which was both delicious and interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The Blue Rose InnDiningDined on 8/12/2014A wonderful family owned gem in Cape May. Outstanding food and lovely Victorian decor. Perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeHarv40Dined on 8/9/2014Fabulous food…great family run business…we were treated very special by the owner>Special Features:
- Cape MayGwyneddDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed the service and food was outstanding. We will be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful Find in Cape MaywilldooDined on 8/9/2014The menu is great with something for everybody. My wife had the scallops and I had the short ribs. Both were well presented and very tasty. The server was very attentive with out hovering around the table. OVERALL--- a must do in Cape may NJSpecial Features:
- ExcellentCamiVIPDined on 8/8/2014Had a wonderful meal here. Short ribs were delicious. Great Cape May addition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnersBrooklynGirlDined on 8/7/2014This was our first visit to The Blue Rose Inn, but it won't be our last! The dining room was understated, but lovely. Our waiter was funny, efficient and very knowledgeable. So, we were off to a great start! The menu offered numerous choices and everything sounded wonderful. My husband had the pork belly appetizer and the roasted chicken and he loved them both. I ordered the corn bisque, which was awesome, and the grilled sea scallops on a bed of pancetta risotto. Thanks for a delicious experience!!Special Features:
- New and Noteworthy in a tough townsandyVIPDined on 8/7/2014We are frequent diners at five star restaurants here and in New York. We are fussy about food and service which is why we come to Cape May. This newcomer is holding its own right out of the gate, which is difficult, especially in a town full of great dining. We can't wait to try them again when they really hit their stride. Service was relaxed and friendly but also very well timed, food was excellent, I would rate it outstanding but I'm reserving my 5 star rating for next summer! We follow the food, and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New vacation findDiningDiva71Dined on 8/6/2014We have been vacationing and dining at the NJ shore for many years and this was our very first visit to the Blue Rose. And---it is simply a wonderful restaurant set in a historic Victorian home complete with crystal chandeliers and antiques. The star is the unique menu--all appetizers and entrees are individually prepared with fresh ingredients. All selections were explained to us by our server, John. We all had a spectacular meal including dessert. We dined indoors, but when we return (and we will) we will request a seat on the large side porch. We would recommend this spot for a delightful and special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gourmet at the Blue RoseilcuocoDined on 8/2/2014Inventive food expertly prepared. The rooms inside are pretty noisy.Special Features:
- Finest meal, special setting!JudgejudiDined on 8/2/2014Our family celebrated at The Blue Rose. Every one ofus enjoyed each course... We ordered appetizers, entrees, dessert and coffee. We tried steak, crab cakes, scallops, a pasta dish and chicken. Each of us thought our meal was among the best ever, and we have eaten many fine meals. Service was flawless, food thoughtfully prepared, and we enjoyed the outside porch setting but inside was also quite beautiful. Save room for dessert, the coconut creme brûlée and the homemade donuts should not be left behind! Everything is made on premises, including bread. This place is going to be a regular stop for us on future Cape May trips! The menu was creatiive and the chef and owner have fussed over details and it shows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience at Blue RoseOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/31/2014Went late (around 8:30), food was excellent. Outdoor seating was wonderful on a summer night.Special Features:
- Hidden gemLMcGinMDDined on 7/31/2014WOW! Our 2nd visit and look forward already to our third.....a fantastic experience in the heart of CM!! starting w the delectable calamari salad and continuing to the BEST scallops I have ever had and finishing w the delightful ricotta donuts....an experience of which none can compare :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findmfrancisDined on 7/30/2014What a find this restaurant was. Set in a Victorian Inn in Cape May. Service was outstanding , but the food was extraordinary, we we're told that it was a scratch kitchen. I don't recommend many restaurants because because people's tastes vary, but do yourself a favor and try this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodmvasDined on 7/29/2014We had a very nice night here, the hostess was very pleasant and accommodating, our waitress was pleasant and attentive and finally the food was exquisite. What more can you ask for And the fresh made donuts was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MLPADined on 7/26/2014Very good meal and good service. Enjoyed a relaxing dinner on the porch..never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food; Service OKKTB6VIPDined on 7/23/2014Read other reviews; so tried a new one in Cape May. Not overly impressed; mostly ambiance & service. Interior dining rooms were generally over lit with seating relatively close together. Sat outdoors; not well lit. Scented candles on tables overpowered the food. Wait staff appeared to be unseasoned, awkward and interrupted often. We are always put off by wait staff who clear plates and return used silverware to the table; we expect this at a diner but expect more of "refined" establishments. The first and second courses were well prepared but nothing "wowed" us. Maybe we were tired and ate too late. Maybe it was an off night for the restaurant. Not our first choice for a repeat dining experience in Cape May but would not write it off.
- Blue RoseVLfromWCVIPDined on 7/21/2014Food was good, but we were seated inside in a fairly empty room which had no vibe. Perhaps the outdoor seating makes for a more lively experience.
- AmazingRachelMazz719VIPDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I ate here last weekend. It was by far the best meal I have ever had in Cape May. First to start the service is out of this world. Kim, our waitress was sweet and attentive and brought us plenty of that amazing home made bread that we literally could not stop eating. The owner walks around table to table checking on every course. This is a family run business and they are doing it the right way. Everything is scratch made and the meal takes time so be prepared to be patient. It is worth the wait, I promise you. When we go back to Cape May later this summer we will be dining here again. Try the pork belly for an appetizer and the scallops for dinner. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatereaterDined on 7/18/2014Food was sooo good!!' Pork and salmon were delicious. Mussels had bits of bacon and were served as such a large portion they were like a meal in themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed on several levels.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014After reading about the Blue Rose in the Philadelphia Inquirer we gave it a try. I had the featured scallops and they were wonderful. My husband's short ribs, however, were dry and came several minutes after the rest of the table. The restaurant was very noisy, the seating was crowded and we found it difficult to converse. The appetizers and dessert were okay.
- Welcome addition to Cape May diningjoejimDined on 7/17/2014What a wonderful dining experience: charm, personable service and great food! The sunchoke/duck confit ravioli were outstanding as were the scallops and teres major - quality ingredients prepared very well. My only minuses were the pacing of the courses and the sorbets & ice cream. Although flavorful and inventive (cucumber/basil sorbet) the consistencies were not as creamy as we would have preferred. But again, this is a top notch experience! And those ricotta donuts!!? Amazing! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.