The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
653 Washington St.
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.blueroseinn.com/
- Phone: (609) 435-5468
- Hours of Operation:
Friday - Sunday - 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday - 10:00am - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Michael Keating
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
A word from The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant
The Blue Rose Inn & Restaurant is a beautifully restored B&B and fine dining establishment. Our restaurant prides itself on being a scratch kitchen, so all of our dishes are skillfully created. The Blue Rose is a BYO restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
The Blue Rose Inn and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)romantic (69)neighborhood gem (65)special occasion (61)great for outdoor dining (42)good for groups (16)scenic view (11)great for brunch (9)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Delicious food and BYOBChuckwalladudeVIPDined on 11/23/2014Had a wonderful meal this past Sunday. Short rib and chicken entrees were superb, as were the potato/leek soup and crab cake appetizers. Service was attentive without being overly so. Just a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!LindaMDined on 11/21/2014This was a new restaurant for my husband and me and we were not disappointed. We both had the roasted chicken at the recommendation of our very attentive waiter. It was absolutely wonderful and very tasty. We had the potato leek soup and ice cream for dessert which both were very good. The décor was very charming. The service was outstanding and we would definitely go back again the next time we are in Cape May.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2014One of the best meals we ever had> Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceToniDined on 10/30/2014Your establishment was a very welcome find. We will be returning to your restaurant very soon thank you for your hospitalitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TenuiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/26/2014Best scallops and juiciest chicken we've ever had. Pumpkin soup and pear salad were outstanding. Service was excellent. They give a 10% discount to veterans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Just a very bright and airy atmosphere from the porch for lunch on a beautiful fall day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Dinner at the Blue Rose Inn proved to be more than wonderful. Great atmosphere, excellent service, and an unbelievably delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casualdinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014The service was great and the food was delicious. We really enjoyed our evening at The Blue Rose Inn.Special Features:
- Scallops and donutsScoonutVIPDined on 10/20/2014We came for the scallops which many diners raved about, found them a bit salty and almost over cooked, but the risotto was excellent and the morels a nice touch. The duck ravioli with beets was a surprise and a delight. The donuts which also were raved about deserve every accolade, crispy/creamy/sweet with delicious ice cream. One service note, calling diners "guys" might seem very casual and beachy, but out of place in the setting. The food is too grown up for that attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYOB with great food & serviceDaghdhaUndryDined on 10/18/2014Dined at the Blue Rose with my two friends and all agreed that every course was wonderful. Beautifully constructed and presented dishes without being contrived or fussy. Nice use of seasonal ingredients and seasonings with a menu that balances variety and focus perfectly. My scallop dish was one of the best that any of us had ever had, and the calamari dusted in cornmeal was cooked to perfection. Beef and pork/pasta dishes were also fabulous for non-seafood fans. Make sure you leave room to at least share dessert. Our server was great, always there but never obtrusive, and with a great understanding of and ability to describe the dishes in detail - which was appreciated because making a choice was not easy with so many great options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab dining experience4diningDined on 10/16/2014Visiting Cape May as we often do, we decided to try a new spot. Hotel was right across the street from Blue Rose so we took a peek at a menu and decided we liked their style. Everything was perfect, great server, interested owner and what a great chef. Everything made in house. Outstanding were the Parmesan bread at the beginning, steak tartare for an appetizer and finally homemade tortellini filled with squash and risotto. No room for dessert, but we'll be back! Bravo, Blue Rose MargauxSpecial Features:
- Bl RosehmortDined on 10/9/2014Mussels appetizer & bread was fabulous! Everything else was decent. The wine suggested by our waiter from a Cape May winery was excellent - will try to buy again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five starsLarryLDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I ate dinner at the restaurant. We did not stay at the inn. What a fabulous dinner. Calamari salad was delicious. Pumpkin soup was great. Our entrees (terrestrial major-beef shoulder) and sautéed scallops for the wife were excellent. Highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SueFoodDined on 10/3/2014Excellent meal. Best scallops. Love seeing Steak Tartar on a menu other than in NYC or France. Excellent presentation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014Great food, ambiance, service. Would definitely go again. I have been there a few times before, and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this family-owned restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/2/2014The calamari salad appetizer here is so good that I order my own. (I feel guilty asking my husband to share his with me!) The calamari is breaded with cornmeal and lightly fried, so it's tender but not oily. The arugula and pickled cucumber complete the salad--yum!Special Features:
- 5 Stars, Best In Southern NJjdemosDined on 9/29/2014We have now eaten here 17 times. Their food is consistent and high quality while being fresh all the time. Every meal we have had has been excellent and the same as before which is a wonderful thing, consistency. Meals here have multiple levels of taste, creativity, eye appeal with outstanding presentation and flavor. The dining rooms are clean, immaculate and inviting. The service is professional. Enjoy the special treats of this 5-star restaurant that is not only the best in Cape May, but best in all of Southern Jersey for me. They use locally sourced ingredients. The restaurant is a BYO. I highly recommend you try this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding find in Cape MayLeeFVIPDined on 9/27/2014We discovered this through open table and trip advisor on our second visit to Cape May. It is one of the best meals we have had anywhere in recent times. The service was outstanding. Great for a romantic evening.Special Features:
- a rose without thornsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014while attending the sea glass festival, my wife and i had the pleasure of dining at the blue rose. the food was gourmet delicious, especially the calamari appetizer and the sea scallop entree. we were greeted by the manager, jason, who was anxious to see that we had a better than average experience. we did. i have already recommended this fine restaurant to several friends. truly a bon appetit experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience!devils4everDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our 29th anniversary at the Blue Rose. We were both very pleased with our choice. I had the scallops which were some of the best I ever had. They were very fresh and flavorful. My wife had the beef short ribs which were equal to my scallops in terms of flavor. The meat was fork tender. Service was attentive even though it was a busy night. The only downside to dining here was the lack of parking. Only street parking is offered since they don't have a parking lot. During a busy summer or fall weekend, plan on getting there early to find a place to park or walk there from you inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014This restaurant couldn't have been nicer. Megan, our waitress, was terrific and recommended the scallops. We were not disappointed. Everything from the warm bread (filled with cheese) to the steak tartare, scallops and lemon donuts was absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great find!FunincapemayDined on 9/25/2014We had the early seating at The Blue Rose as we had tickets for a play. We later learned.....I think I missed the information online...we could have combined dinner and the play for less than we paid separately. Staff was warm and friendly and knowledgable. The food was very well prepared and presented. It was a very enjoyable evening for just my husband and me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem on Washington StnjkaraDined on 9/20/2014The dinner was delicious the place was enchanting. We didn't know what to really expect after having a very disappointing dinner at another Cape May restaurant the previous evening - the Blue Rose met & exceeded our expectations. The pasta is home made- the pork melts in your mouth- The crabcakes were- shockingly actually full of crab! Our dinner was five star- fresh, light delicious- nothing drowning in heavy sauces- just enough to accent the quality of the food. Do not skip the desserts- they are also home made and completely decadent!! Soo happy we found this place- will be back again in the fall!Special Features:
- Memorable Anniversary DinnerLolaDined on 9/20/2014So glad we took our Innkeeper's recommendation & made a reservation for our anniversary dinner at the Blue Rose Inn & Restaurant in Cape May! It was an extraordinary meal! The food, service & ambiance all exceeded expectations. Since we were celebrating our 44th wedding anniversary, we had plenty of previous celebratory dinners with which to compare our meal at the Blue Rose Inn, and yet this exceptional restaurant was definitely among the most memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gr8FoodDined on 9/20/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. The ambiance was that of a beautiful restored Victorian home decorated for the fall. All the windows were opened and the evening breeze was perfect. All the food were perfectly proportionate! Not too much and Not too little! The mixture of flavors used in all their appetizers and entrees were soft and very appealing to the pallet. Upon leaving, I made another reservation to return!!Special Features:
- Our second timejzucheroVIPDined on 9/16/2014We visited the Blue Rose for dinner this past week. We were introduced to the restaurant a few months again and liked it so much we decided to try again. What a great dinner. In September at Cape May the evenings are fairly quiet and sitting out on the porch at the Blue Rose was quiet, relaxed, and very nice. The food was great. I had the Coffee & Cocoa Crusted Teres Major and my wife had the Carrot & Lemon Ricotta Agnolotti. Both dishes were prepared with attention to detail and with perfect seasoning. Great restaurant and BYOB.Special Features:
- A perfectly quiet dinnerPJRspecialsDined on 9/15/2014Shortly after we arrived, we were the only two in the room (off season). Larissa, a young Russian working on her English, was polite and efficient. The menu tended toward seafood and it was difficult to make up our minds because everything sounded so good. I had a gnocchi appetizer, which was delicious, and scallops, which were tasty too. We enjoy a quiet restaurant with a lovely ambiance.Special Features:
- Would go back to Blue RoseHappyeaterDined on 9/15/2014We ended up having a great dinner at the Blue Rose - started out a little rocky - we were seated on the porch, which is lovely, and told that John would be our server - we watched two other parties come in, be seated, get menus and order, and no one had come to our table at all. Finally, on the verge of leaving, we gestured at the waiter - John, - he immediately came over - apologized, and said there'd been a misunderstanding about who had which tables, he was shortly followed by the manager, who apologized profusely, and comped dessert, we proceeded to have a lovely dinner - the food is excellent - what we ate was beautifully prepared and served - I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2014Overall it was a pleasant dinner, but I was a little underwhelmed by both the food and the service. The corn bisque, duck ravioli, bread and chocolate truffle were all excellent; the papardelle with smoked pork, by contrast, was heavy and bland. Homemade pasta should almost float on the plate; this -- did not, and the few shreds of meat tasted like pot roast. The service, while earnest, was flawed. For one, no server (or host) should ever allow the phrase, "you guys" to pass through his or her lips -- a simple, "How are you?" is better than anything including "you guys." Our server mixed up our order twice, had to take the bill back to add the bottle of water, hovered sometimes, did not check water glasses.... not very professional.Special Features:
- graham29Dined on 9/14/2014The staff was welcoming and the porch a pleasant place to dine. We had the fixed early menu at $35, all items attractively prepared in a somewhat different style than usually found in Cape May. My wife liked the style much more than I. It's worth a try, but study the menu before you go. Parking can be a problem, and they don't offer much help on their website.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lemon Ricotta Doughnuts OutstandingProbowleryVIPDined on 9/13/2014Did not start off well since it was pouring rain and there is no parking close by the restaurant. My group had the mussels, bibb salad and corn bisque all were great but the mussels could have used more sauce. For our entrees we had the Pork Pappardelle and Salmon that were outstanding. Two of us had the steak (Teres Major) mine was done incorrectly but they took it back right away. I never had a steak shoulder so didn't really know what to expect and I didn't think it was all that great a cut of meat but I still enjoyed it. We all got the Lemon Ricotta Doughnuts with homemade coffee ice cream, they were outstanding. Love that it is a BYOB so that we could bring our own wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014What a find! The food was excellent and service was outstanding. All the decor was in blue (hence the name) and it was very romantic. We sat on the porch with two other couples and it was a memorable night.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014It was not a busy night for our visit but overall it was a very enjoyable night. The food was delicious and very not when it arrived at our table. Very attentive service.Special Features:
- Busy Weekend!bldbeachVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner with friends we hadn't seen in years on Saturday night; all of us were delighted with our selections and planned to repeat our experience soon. The next day we had plans with a different couple from out of town to have brunch at another restaurant, and due to a power failure in their kitchen we had to quickly make other arrangements. Thanks to Open Table., we were able to get right back to The Blue Rose and they kindly accommodated our party at the last minute. We had a wonderful brunch on the porch and made it home (almost) in time for the Eagles game! The food is excellent but the hospitality and service make it special. The beautiful Victorian decor in soft blues is the icing on the cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, charming restaurantlgodivaDined on 9/6/2014Our group of six girlfriends had one of our best dinners ever in Cape May last weekend, while on our annual weekend getaway. The scallops were heavenly, as was the coconut creme brulee! Our server was very friendly and helpful. It was a bit hot (the restaurant could use a ceiling fan to keep the air circulating), but otherwise we had a wonderful experience and highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find in cape may njPadinerDined on 9/6/2014We love to find wonderful little dining spots. This was just such a place. The owners were delightful and the servers were attentive and very pleasant. This is a byob which we prefer. The menu was interesting and very up to date. The food was all very fresh and delightfully prepared. We started with the calamari salad and the corn chowder. After we had the scallops and the crab cake. Unfortunately we had to forgo dessert but they looked lovely. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014This was out 4th time at the restaurant. The food remains fabulous! The table we were seated in was in front of the kitchen and it was stifling! Big temperature variations between the rooms, made one in our party extremely uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Solid fareDessertlessDined on 9/6/2014We had the corn chowder and calamari to start, both very nice, and the beef short ribs and especially good shredded pork papardelle as main courses. Just the right sizes for all plates. Bring a nice bottle of wine (BYOB without a corkage fee).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCamiVIPDined on 9/5/2014A new favorite. Short ribs are outstanding as are the appetizers. Porch is lovely but can be buggy. Very relaxing and romantic with piped in music. A must in Cape May!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experiencepwolfDined on 9/3/2014Warm welcome; very appropriate "Victorian" dining room; very pleasant & knowledgeable server. The flavors of the food were great and the dishes were nicely presented. Our biggest complaint was that on a very slow evening (only 1/3 of tables were filled) the wait for each course was way too long. And when the food did arrive, it was barely warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.