The Blue Room
Hampshire and Portland streets
(in Kendall Square)
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Blue Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblueroom.net/
- Phone: 6174949034x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm-9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Bonner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Blue Room
The Blue Room is simple casual comfort. Housed in a renovated woven hose factory, this nationally acclaimed restaurant is composed of bare wood beams, brick and granite walls, cozy suede banquettes, soft lighting and zinc-topped tables. Chef Robert Grant puts his wood-burning grill to work creating dishes with influences from his time spent cooking his way through Italy, Spain and France using locally-sourced ingredients and techniques gleaned from his stints with renowned chefs Thomas Keller + Barbara Lynch. Along with the lively atmosphere comes an interesting, eclectic and affordable wine list. Stop in on Sunday nights for "Retail Wine" night, where 50 or so wines are offered at retail prices. Good & Friendly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Blue Room reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)great for outdoor dining (44)neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (30)romantic (25)great for brunch (23)good for groups (17)notable wine list (16)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great food,Valentine7Dined on 10/19/2014I had brunch here last weekend. Great fresh food and I loved the fact that everything is prepared in small pans, so foods always come out fresh. Price is 1/2 of that of another buffet place in the same area, but food is definitely better. My only complaint is I wish you could get salads WITHOUT dressing or dressing on the side. Otherwise perfect Sunday afternoon, I will come here again.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchMegginDined on 10/19/2014I went to The Blue Room for lunch and had never been before. It was cold, but in warmer months the outdoor seating area looked lovely. They make certain dishes seasonally so there is no set menu. There was a wonderful buffet - all freshly made, nothing sitting out for too long like some buffets - filled with both breakfast and lunch options. All the food is wonderful, but you have to save room for dessert! They also had a dessert table filled with delicious and unique mini-desserts such as pear butter macaroons (I highly recommend). A little pricey at 27$ a head, but worth it for a nice brunch.Special Features:
- Excellent!GStevensDined on 10/18/2014Took our son out for a special birthday dinner and The Blue Room did not disappoint. Excellent service - attentive,friendly, and let us take our time - and seriously delicious food. Not our first visit and certainly will not be our last!Special Features:
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014We had to wait for 10 minutes before we could get anyone's attention in order to seated for our reservation, which was not a good start to the evening. The waiter was knowledgeable and the wine was good but both the branzino and pork were a disappointment. If the wait person does not know how to bone a fish at the table, it should be done in the kitchen. From our perspective, this restaurant was definitely overrated.Special Features:
- Excellent again and againcabgoesleftVIPDined on 10/17/2014From 1996, when I first went to the Blue Room, it has been invariably excellent. I "had to" eat at the Blue Room 3 nights in a week on this trip - NOT a hardship. It was 3-for-3 on all counts. The cuisine is well balanced, interested, local and excellent. Wait staff are great hosts, well informed and considerate. It's a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very slow meal thoughMustLoveFoodDined on 10/17/2014The food was very good. Very impressed by the octopus appetizer and the kale side I had was incredibly delicious. We appreciated the server asking whether we had a movie or any activity to get to, but didn't think by saying no it meant we were going to get incredibly slow service. The food was very delicious but we spent a lot of time just waiting, the restaurant wasn't busy & the kitchen team seemed very at ease, so they might just be much more respectful of diners who enjoy taking their time...something to keep in mind next time!Special Features:
- Hoboken43Dined on 10/14/2014I found the food choices somewhat limited, 7 entrees in all, just one seafood choice. I had hanger steak, ordered medium rare. It was nicely crusted on the outside but raw in the middle, an unusual method to prevent toughness. Service was slow, somewhat appropriate for a social evening, but a bit slow, nonetheless. I've had many better meals there. The section of the restaurant near the open kitchen gets a bit smoky in the course of the evening. I would ask for a table on the bar side of the restaurant, away from the kitchen.
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014A bit disappointing. Nothing special. Service was on the slow side.
- I love the Blue RoomcabgoesleftVIPDined on 10/2/2014The Blue Room has been doing the same thing for decades - making exceptionally good, locally sourced and inventive cuisine. It is always good. It's a great space - comfortable, warm and friendly. Staff is always knowledgeable and friendly. And they have a great selection of wine - never same old stuf, always good old world wines that are well selected.Special Features:
- ok but nothing specialluckyrockDined on 9/30/2014The Blue Room use to be a place we went to for special occasions, which is what Sept 30 was. We met as a family to celebrate a 60th birthday. All of the dishes were ok (salmon rillette, salt cod, squash soup, chicken, hanger steak and swordfish) but nothing stood out, However, the pork schnitzel was a disappointment, greasy, salty, dry and too much mustard. The desserts were nothing to comment about either (crisp and mousse). The wine list was extensive and affordable, mostly European and unfamiliar, but the service staff was helpful in making a selection. The draft beer selection was limited. Overall we are used to being wowed by at least one dish but these meals were far from previous experiences.
- Used to go to BR back in the 90sCCmaria62Dined on 9/26/2014I LOVED the place in the 90s. Great food. FANTASTIC drinks: my fav was a vodka, chambord, w/ rose petal - maybe something else? BR did not have chambord - and were really only staged Gin drinks (on cocktail menu). I had a side car - which was not bad - but was not great either. Too the limited liquor choices. The food: pork. It was greasy in places and dry in others: overcooked. The spatzel was fair - but it was not incredible - too much mustard for my taste. The broccoli was salty - as if it had been dredged through the Red Sea. The dessert - blueberries and peaches - a crisp - boring - and the iced cream on top - tasteless. The waiter was kind and tried to accommodate - but acted anxious to get us in and out. Will not returnSpecial Features:
- Solid, good food prepared well.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014Very good service, good wine list and help choosing an appropriate one. Would like to have seen shellfish on the menu--aren't the autumn months the best?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet but unspectacularginandtonicDined on 9/20/2014Hadn't been to the Blue Room in years, and it's fine but not as good as it used to be. Of our 2 appetizers, the heirloom tomatoes were fine but ordinary, the cheese/peach jam/nuts were disappointing. Of our 3 main courses, the bluefish was excellent; the hanger steak and roast chicken fine but not up to the level of the lavish food of the old days. We missed the garlic mashed potatoes; the roast potatoes were fine, but ordinary. The single best thing about the place is the ambiance and quiet -- it was really lovely to be able to have a conversation without shouting. I'd choose it for an ordinary meal, but not for a special occasion. Service was pleasant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for work dinnerpamstekDined on 9/17/2014Blue room has right ambience, quality and price for a work dinner. I often bring teams to dinner here to celebrate after face-to-face meetings. Everyone always has great things to say about the food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Food good; Service, mehOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/13/2014The selection of small plates was outstanding. No need to order entrees here. But the service was a bit sketchy. It seems like they were training a couple of new servers and despite the extra help, the service was spotty. The server was not sure what was in one dish when asked and even gave us the wrong response. A busser started to take a plate away that still had food on it. For dessert, we ordered the Pavlova, which the server remarked was an excellent choice. She brought a Crostata and announced that is was the Pavlova. If not for the spotty service, the evening would have been terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and serviceAverageVIPDined on 9/13/2014I have dined at this restaurant before a movie. The wait staff is attentive and very courteous. The food and atmosphere are very good. It is one of my regular places when I am in the area.Special Features:
- Great for before/aft Kendall movieRossDined on 9/7/2014Good and unusual food, good service and ambiance. We use it for before or after Kendall cinema.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tiny portionsGP68VIPDined on 9/6/2014Menu has become more limited and portions have shrunk to very small sizes. Server took forever to bring beverages and completely forgot one drink. Note sure I will be back.
- Great spot for dinner & moviekathybDined on 9/6/2014Best spot for a meal before or after a movie at Kendall. Fresh, well-reasoned green salad...big enough to share. Lamb with lentils was good. Bluefish with broccoli raab was tasty, although a touch over-rich and the raab was a little stringy. Good cocktail...a pinkish martini-like concoction that was not too sweet. I didn't see their pre-movie special on the menu. Wish they would bring it back.Special Features:
- Hasn't lost any of it's sparkleBlueRoomDined on 9/3/2014It had been quite a while since we were at Blue Room, but it's still as wonderful as I remember. The menu is smaller, I think, but the three of us had different starters and different mains, and all were just delicious. Waitress was knowledgable about the wine list, and her recommendations of different white wines for different mains (one the bluefish, one the corn risotto), were spot on. We sat outside and it was a great choice.Special Features:
- Great ServiceEJ101Dined on 8/31/2014Went with a part of 6 recently for dinner. The bartender overhead of an recent wedding engagement in our group and the service team went above and beyond with incredible service. The bartender, waiter and chef all visited the table to congratulate the couple. They also gave us some sparkling wine, house made mortadella, extra desserts and some cordials on the house to celebrate the occasion. Really friendly and totally unexpected. The meals were all delicious, thought out and executed very well. Great wine list. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely eveningDiningforpleasureVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food was excellent...and the ambiance was very nice. The pork dish was fabulous. and one could actually have a conversation! and NO TVs...hooray!Special Features:
- Very good food.fakevegetarianDined on 8/26/2014We ordered a bunch of appetizers, all of which were very good -- the quinoa salad, the salmon, and the tomato salad were all great. The highlight of the night was the bluefish. It was excellent. I had higher expectations on the plum crostata. Maybe I had eaten too much by the time dessert came. Downsides: Service was a bit slow. That said, we were a group of six and we ordered a lot of dishes. We were seated in one of the nooks with wooden benches. While this created a perfect micro-atmosphere for our group, the wooden benches were uncomfortable. Last, but not least, the waitress didn't know what a macchiato is (!). Would go back again.Special Features:
- Excellent BrunchzookeeperDined on 8/24/2014I took my family to the Blue Room to celebrate my daughter's birthday -- the food, service and ambiance were perfect. My daughter really enjoyed the food, excellent desserts, and ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aussamarDined on 8/23/2014The food was really good, amazing quality and taste, the ambiance was a bit quiet for a Saturday night in Cambridge, missing a little bit of music (live?) to make the ambianceSpecial Features:
- All-around excellentHeirloom2TomatoDined on 8/22/2014The dinner we had at The Blue Room was thoughtfully prepared, imaginative, and delicious. Wait staff was attentive and very knowledgable. Excellent date night restaurant!Special Features:
- Blue RoomreviewsssssDined on 8/19/2014We went to the Blue Room for restaurant week. They had an extensive menu, one of the most varied I had seen for Restaurant week. The food was delicious and the service was great. It is a lovely spot for a date night.Special Features:
- Food very good, service so and soDennisMcDined on 8/19/2014Took my team here for dinner and showed up with 15 people. A few notes for readers: the service starts great but by the end of dinner I had to chase the wait staff to get coffee and a check. As they got busier we got less attention. It was not bad, just average. Next portions; they are small. The food is very good but you need a salad to go with your entree or you'll be stopping for pizza on the way home. Lastly, the beer selection was slim. ONE draft beer and that was it. If you are a wine drink or cocktails no worries, but the beer selection was slim. Overall a good experience, might come back but with a smaller groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect except too loud musiceeli6Dined on 8/8/2014The food and the service were very good but the music far too loud. We were a group of 6 and could not hear each other. We asked several times for a decrease of the volume, which they always executed but this lasted few minutes only.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/7/2014Continues to be a great dining experience. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchTracy2Dined on 7/27/2014Good home fries and bignets but the rest of the food was cold and old. It took forever to get a coffee refill.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014It's one of those places where it's hard to recognize the ingredients in the food. If you have some food restrictions, you'll be asking the waitress lots of questions and she had to keep asking the chef. The wines were unrecognizable. You couldn't tell if the whites were like a Chardonnay, a Pinot Grigio???same with the reds.Special Features:
- MehkceeDined on 7/25/2014Food was totally underwhelming. Pork belly was too sour, oversauced. Steak reeked of stale meat. Ew. Never going back there again. And the servers had an air about them that was totally unnecessary.Special Features:
- Good choiceRossDined on 7/25/2014After the Kendall Square movie (or before them) people are looking for a good meal with a good menu and quick service. This is a good choice. They have many kinds of food, a good ambience, indoor or outdoor food, even S'mores which you can prepare over fireplace coals.Special Features:
- Nice Al Fresco DiningfurdDined on 7/24/2014The weather was nice, so we elected to eat outside. The server was a little lackadaisical (it may have been a first day, or it just may have been the early/outdoor eating suggested a more laid-back expectation), but the food and drink was very good -- and the server was enthusiastic and helpful, when we had him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014Went to Blue Water on a romantic date and it was wonderful. Perfect location, wonderful service and great food!Special Features:
- Best BrunchdesertroseDined on 7/20/2014The brunch was the best I have eaten. The quality of the food was superior. There were standards like bacon,sausage and eggs with additions of grilled salmon and tender beef brisket. The eggs were scrambled fluffy or poached perfectly. We filled our plates twice and never felt rushed to leave. The pastry table had every imaginable possibility. The peach blueberry crostata tasted like an old fashion peach cobbler juicy with full peach flavor. Chocolate flour less cake was rich, scones tender and profiteroles melt in your mouth.Special Features:
- leisurely and satisfyingJamieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Savored a delicious and unhurried meal with a dear friend visiting from out of town. We requested a booth and got our choice of a few options. We let the waitstaff know we planned to linger, and they accommodated us brilliantly. Other parties came and left around us while we caught up. The soothing decor, the service, the wine the waitstaff recommended, and of course the food — salads, bread, main courses, desserts and tea — all contributed to an evening of elevated comfort that was exactly perfect.
- Long time favoritePunka813Dined on 7/19/2014Blue Room has been my husband's favorite restaurant since its inception. Always: a menu that is creative and inspiring; a staff that is professional, accommodating, knowledgable and friendly; an environment that is relaxed, rustic and hip. The food, however, is definitely the star of the show with fresh local ingredients paired in unexpected, delectable ways you won't find anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The portions seemed small to adequate, but there was something very " plain" about them. Unappetizingly plain - no color, all brown, something. No love in the kitchen perhaps. Also music too loud, so in a relatively empty restaurant we were competing with the music. I have friends who love the Blue room. I wouldn't describe my experience as "love" exactly. But we had a good time that evening with friends anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.