The Blue Room
Hampshire and Portland streets
(in Kendall Square)
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Blue Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblueroom.net/
- Phone: 6174949034x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm-9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Bonner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Blue Room
The Blue Room is simple casual comfort. Housed in a renovated woven hose factory, this nationally acclaimed restaurant is composed of bare wood beams, brick and granite walls, cozy suede banquettes, soft lighting and zinc-topped tables. Chef Robert Grant puts his wood-burning grill to work creating dishes with influences from his time spent cooking his way through Italy, Spain and France using locally-sourced ingredients and techniques gleaned from his stints with renowned chefs Thomas Keller + Barbara Lynch. Along with the lively atmosphere comes an interesting, eclectic and affordable wine list. Stop in on Sunday nights for "Retail Wine" night, where 50 or so wines are offered at retail prices. Good & Friendly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Blue Room reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)great for outdoor dining (50)special occasion (39)neighborhood gem (36)great for brunch (33)romantic (26)good for groups (21)notable wine list (19)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (10)great for lunch (8)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very good food.fakevegetarianDined on 8/26/2014We ordered a bunch of appetizers, all of which were very good -- the quinoa salad, the salmon, and the tomato salad were all great. The highlight of the night was the bluefish. It was excellent. I had higher expectations on the plum crostata. Maybe I had eaten too much by the time dessert came. Downsides: Service was a bit slow. That said, we were a group of six and we ordered a lot of dishes. We were seated in one of the nooks with wooden benches. While this created a perfect micro-atmosphere for our group, the wooden benches were uncomfortable. Last, but not least, the waitress didn't know what a macchiato is (!). Would go back again.Special Features:
- Excellent BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I took my family to the Blue Room to celebrate my daughter's birthday -- the food, service and ambiance were perfect. My daughter really enjoyed the food, excellent desserts, and ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aussamarDined on 8/23/2014The food was really good, amazing quality and taste, the ambiance was a bit quiet for a Saturday night in Cambridge, missing a little bit of music (live?) to make the ambianceSpecial Features:
- All-around excellentHeirloom2TomatoDined on 8/22/2014The dinner we had at The Blue Room was thoughtfully prepared, imaginative, and delicious. Wait staff was attentive and very knowledgable. Excellent date night restaurant!Special Features:
- Food very good, service so and soDennisMcDined on 8/19/2014Took my team here for dinner and showed up with 15 people. A few notes for readers: the service starts great but by the end of dinner I had to chase the wait staff to get coffee and a check. As they got busier we got less attention. It was not bad, just average. Next portions; they are small. The food is very good but you need a salad to go with your entree or you'll be stopping for pizza on the way home. Lastly, the beer selection was slim. ONE draft beer and that was it. If you are a wine drink or cocktails no worries, but the beer selection was slim. Overall a good experience, might come back but with a smaller groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect except too loud musiceeli6Dined on 8/8/2014The food and the service were very good but the music far too loud. We were a group of 6 and could not hear each other. We asked several times for a decrease of the volume, which they always executed but this lasted few minutes only.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/7/2014Continues to be a great dining experience. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchTracy2Dined on 7/27/2014Good home fries and bignets but the rest of the food was cold and old. It took forever to get a coffee refill.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014It's one of those places where it's hard to recognize the ingredients in the food. If you have some food restrictions, you'll be asking the waitress lots of questions and she had to keep asking the chef. The wines were unrecognizable. You couldn't tell if the whites were like a Chardonnay, a Pinot Grigio???same with the reds.Special Features:
- MehkceeDined on 7/25/2014Food was totally underwhelming. Pork belly was too sour, oversauced. Steak reeked of stale meat. Ew. Never going back there again. And the servers had an air about them that was totally unnecessary.Special Features:
- Good choiceRossDined on 7/25/2014After the Kendall Square movie (or before them) people are looking for a good meal with a good menu and quick service. This is a good choice. They have many kinds of food, a good ambience, indoor or outdoor food, even S'mores which you can prepare over fireplace coals.Special Features:
- Nice Al Fresco DiningfurdDined on 7/24/2014The weather was nice, so we elected to eat outside. The server was a little lackadaisical (it may have been a first day, or it just may have been the early/outdoor eating suggested a more laid-back expectation), but the food and drink was very good -- and the server was enthusiastic and helpful, when we had him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014Went to Blue Water on a romantic date and it was wonderful. Perfect location, wonderful service and great food!Special Features:
- Best BrunchdesertroseDined on 7/20/2014The brunch was the best I have eaten. The quality of the food was superior. There were standards like bacon,sausage and eggs with additions of grilled salmon and tender beef brisket. The eggs were scrambled fluffy or poached perfectly. We filled our plates twice and never felt rushed to leave. The pastry table had every imaginable possibility. The peach blueberry crostata tasted like an old fashion peach cobbler juicy with full peach flavor. Chocolate flour less cake was rich, scones tender and profiteroles melt in your mouth.Special Features:
- leisurely and satisfyingJamieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Savored a delicious and unhurried meal with a dear friend visiting from out of town. We requested a booth and got our choice of a few options. We let the waitstaff know we planned to linger, and they accommodated us brilliantly. Other parties came and left around us while we caught up. The soothing decor, the service, the wine the waitstaff recommended, and of course the food — salads, bread, main courses, desserts and tea — all contributed to an evening of elevated comfort that was exactly perfect.
- Long time favoritePunka813Dined on 7/19/2014Blue Room has been my husband's favorite restaurant since its inception. Always: a menu that is creative and inspiring; a staff that is professional, accommodating, knowledgable and friendly; an environment that is relaxed, rustic and hip. The food, however, is definitely the star of the show with fresh local ingredients paired in unexpected, delectable ways you won't find anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The portions seemed small to adequate, but there was something very " plain" about them. Unappetizingly plain - no color, all brown, something. No love in the kitchen perhaps. Also music too loud, so in a relatively empty restaurant we were competing with the music. I have friends who love the Blue room. I wouldn't describe my experience as "love" exactly. But we had a good time that evening with friends anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anything but soggy po boyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014We attended the patio party with music provided by the Soggy Po Boys and it was great. A perfectly relaxed Sunday evening of scrumptious blue fish po boys on crispy baguettes, cold beer and Txakoli wine. I am sorry we will not be able to make the encore of this event in August.Special Features:
- A second date that won me a 3rdJonesDined on 7/13/2014After a really spectacular first date and a lot of scheduling trouble, I brought a girl to the Blue Room as our second date, with brunch and mimosas being the plan. The food was truly excellent, and we were both impressed with the selection of savory items -- which was not overwhelming, as sometimes a buffet can be (with high praise for the salmon fillets, the sausage, and the candied beets, which I normally will not touch). The sweets table was particularly good, with particular praise for the blueberry bread pudding, the lemon thyme shortbread, and the humble chocolate chip cookies. The coffee was strong and fresh, and the mimosas were perfect.Special Features:
- Great outdoor spot w great food!Whats4DinnerVIPDined on 7/11/2014Loved the salads, the bluefish, and the steak. Great ambiance outside. Belly Bar next door for drinks before or after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxxxxxxxDined on 7/10/2014Our food arrived cold. The sauce had already formed a crust. the lambe was tough.
- brunchpigletDined on 6/22/2014I have been going to brunch here for many years. In the past couple of years the quality has been going down, doubtlessly so they can maintain the price, which at $27 isn't low! This past Sunday for the second consecutive time I decided I will not return.....Where they used to serve lamb, now it is sauceless brisket. The potato salad had salmon in it, though they also featured grilled salmon. If you don't like salmon that's two selections off limits! The bakery table seemed pedestrian. I had a very small cookie which was OK; the rice pudding tasteless and much too sweet. My son tasted two other options which he declared not worth eating. Sad as I used to be a huge fan and recommended it to loads of people - no more.Special Features:
- excellent foodfelixDined on 6/19/2014Menu and wine list changes regularly and is of high quality. Fabulous variety of inventive appetizers with generous portions.Special Features:
- iFoodieDined on 6/17/2014Very slow servces, fortunately there were a group of us so we were chatting which didn;t make the wait feel so bad. 3 out of 6 went for fish and all were overcooked and dry, clearly they had been sitting under the lamps waiting for the meat dishes to finished. We did tell our waiter but we had waited so long it was worth requesting another and the waiter didn;t have too much to offer other than sorry. I have alsways used the Blue Room as my first option in Cambridge for many years due to the consistency, service and quality of the menu and of the food. I'm not sure what has happened here but the last two times that I have been have not been great and this time was the worst. It will be a while until I try it again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2014My husband ordered the duck and could not eat it. The meat was tough and full of grisel and fat. Gross...
- Food selection smaller this timeMuncherDined on 6/8/2014A large part of what drew us back to The Blue Room was the incredible brunch buffet we enjoyed a year ago. This time, however, the food selection was much smaller (only two types of carbohydrate, two very similar types of salad, etc.) and the service was a little slow. We were disappointed at the elimination of the fantastic array of food we enjoyed the first time, and would be hesitant to go back. The hot tea was nothing special - couldn't you offer a range of assam, darjeeling, irish breakfast, etc? The mimosas were, however, phenomenal.Special Features:
- date nightmegeenoDined on 6/3/2014My boyfriend and I went to this restaurant before a concert that we were seeing. The staff was friendly and fun, great bar, and the atmosphere and music were amazing. We had a very romantic date and are definitely going back sometime. Wonderful food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO THEREMmMmDined on 6/1/2014Every time I'm at the blue room, I wish I lived closer. Great feel from staff, attention to detail, and non ostentatious food presentation adds to the pleasure the outstanding food. I had char, others had lamb and the beets were terrif. Vt gd waitress helped us with wines; really good deal when they offer retail shop prices for some wines! Also zippy nonalcoholic drinks.Special Features:
- Delicious, affordable buffet brunchPashminaChicDined on 6/1/2014Excellent value, and delicious. This buffet brunch avoids the 'mountains of food' style prevalent at more expensive hotel brunches, and that's an asset. Selections a great balance of b-fast and lunch/dinner items, protein, veggie, starch, b-fast pastry, lunch/dinner type desserts, without ever being overwhelming. Food is regularly refreshed, so everything is hot enough or chilled enough as needed, fresh tasting, and they don't run out of items. Particularly liked luscious scrambled eggs with creme fraiche, juicy BBQ brisket, and tender, perfectly grilled salmon-not dried out or under done. Table service - excellent, came back often to refresh drinks. 1 flaw: seating too close to other patrons in a room that never got more than half full!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been a while - glad we returnedPaulVIPDined on 5/31/2014I had not been to the Blue Room in a number of years, not due to any dissatisfaction just kind of forgot about it, but had recently been hearing about it, and we returned for my Birthday. It was outstanding, the Mushroom Pate and the Poached Egg with Gorgonzola Polenta and Greens, appetizers were both wonderful. For entrees my wife had Duck with Beans and Braised Cabbage, and I have Branzini with Ras Al Hanout and Brussels Sprouts over Cous Cous, and again, both were excellent. Interesting Cocktails, nice wines by the glass. We did not have room for desert, but they brought two mini cupcakes with Birthday candles, very thoughtful. We will be back sooner rather than later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Room, what happened?49643953542754349Dined on 5/31/2014You used to be great, now not so much. The service took too long at everything. From asking if anyone would like a drink, to the time between apps and entree. The service didn't give a damn. The mushroom pate was good, best dish of the night. The char was salty and overcooked, the gnocci was bland, no taste whatsoever, the worse dish that should have been the best. The brussel sprouts were inedible because of salt. The chai creme brulee was too heavy on the cardamom, cooked at too high a temp and black on top. It should have never made it to the table. This place needs a refresh, it could be so good again. It seems the staff doesn't care, and the owners are oblivious or don't eat at their own restaurant. Come on guys, fix it, start caring.
- Nice dinnerKMusicusDined on 5/24/2014Went here for a birthday. It was lovely. Romantic, quiet, good service. Food was good Perfect for the occasion .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dinner before movienapavalley1Dined on 5/24/2014Have been going to the blue room for years...it is my go to for fabulous brunch and for dinner before movie at Kendqll Square...recent new chef...this last dinner was so exquisite I wrote about it on twitter! Lovely Beet/ walnut salad/Black Mushroom pate with honey and toast (to die for) fresh pea gnocchi with goat cheese and wonderful Rosso Red wine...the waitstaff is excellent, attentive and knowledgeable. I just like this place and have for about 5 years!Special Features:
- wonderful choiceseaterx39Dined on 5/18/2014There were many fine choices for brunch; the salads were outstanding.Special Features:
- Great buffet brunchPLLLLVIPDined on 5/18/2014Great food but occasionally a long line to get the food.Special Features:
- isabellaDined on 5/17/2014The restaurant is beautiful and the food was lovely. However, we found it perplexing that the menus, especially the cocktail menu, felt so impenetrable to us. There were so many items we didn't know - rather than feeling pleasure and excitement at selecting our meal, it felt stressful. We're a group of experienced diners (academics with graduate degrees) who have never felt quite so put off by a menu. It may have been an off night in terms of service - graduation weekend so servers were tired and frazzled.
- yumlorettaDined on 5/11/2014Hard to tell which was better, the food or the service. And the food was spectacular. Had one of the nicest servers ever, and everyone else staffing the dinner was wonderful. The wood grilled chicken was to die for, accompanying potatoes amazingly delicious, and the gorgonzola polenta so terrific it should be illegal. The espresso was a tiny bit disappointing, but overall a really great experience. THANKS!!Special Features:
- Nice brunch but overpricedArlMom2010Dined on 5/11/2014We went here for Mother's Day, thinking the restaurant might do something a little "extra" for the occasion. The brunch food was very tasty, but the selections were the same as with other non-special occasion brunches we've had here (if anything, there seemed to be fewer options put out - definitely did not seem to be an extended menu). Most of the options were standard breakfast items like pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, etc. Considering that the restaurant increases its prices by $13/person for the Mother's Day brunch, we expected something extra to justify that additional cost. In the future we'll just come here for "regular" occasions that don't carry unwarranted higher pricing.Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014I love the layout of the restaurant, the brick walls and exposed beams. Great staff. The menu needs more options for greens -- salads, green beans, something. A lot of meat options, veggies not well represented or maybe not explained well by the waitress.Special Features:
- Nice place for dinnerPLLLLVIPDined on 5/10/2014Great food! Really liked the restaurant. Nice setting, pretty quiet and great service. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.