The Blue Room
Hampshire and Portland streets
(in Kendall Square)
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Blue Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblueroom.net/
- Phone: (617) 494-9034
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm-9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Bonner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Blue Room
The Blue Room is simple casual comfort. Housed in a renovated woven hose factory, this nationally acclaimed restaurant is composed of bare wood beams, brick and granite walls, cozy suede banquettes, soft lighting and zinc-topped tables. Chef Robert Grant puts his wood-burning grill to work creating dishes with influences from his time spent cooking his way through Italy, Spain and France using locally-sourced ingredients and techniques gleaned from his stints with renowned chefs Thomas Keller + Barbara Lynch. Along with the lively atmosphere comes an interesting, eclectic and affordable wine list. Stop in on Sunday nights for "Retail Wine" night, where 50 or so wines are offered at retail prices. Good & Friendly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Blue Room reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)great for outdoor dining (36)neighborhood gem (35)great for brunch (27)special occasion (27)romantic (21)good for groups (20)notable wine list (18)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014We had a great time at the Blue Room for brunch, eight of us celebrating a friend's birthday. Food was very good! From traditional breakfast fare like pancakes, scrambled eggs, applewood smoked bacon(wish they could have removed a little more of the "bacon grease"), smoked salmon to brisket, grilled salmon, chicken, swedish meatballs, beet salad, waldorf salads, arugula salad and other salads- there were baked goods, from breads, to fruit breads to cookies and chocolate cake. The one thing missing was some fresh fruit! We were able to relax and enjoy our time together!!! We had a wonderful server, Mallory! As we were sitting by the kitchen, we had fun talking to the chefs too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2014We had a great time, the service and accommodation were great. The food was nothing special, but certainly adequate. The location was convenient and we were able to get reservations for Sunday brunch a few days, instead of a few weeks, ahead of time.Special Features:
- Birthday Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2014A wonderful selection of food choices at brunch... from made-to-order poached eggs, to the most succulent and well seasoned beef brisket EVER! The arugula salad was divine and I was sorry that I ate so much that I could barely enjoy the delicious macaroons and other tasty dessert treats. Our table was situated just at the end of the buffet line, so I felt a bit jostled, but once the line died down, so did the claustrophobia. Amanda was a wonderful server and brought my husband a mini cupcake with a candle at the end of the meal. Relaxed, comfortable and great food... that's why I always go back to the Blue Room! The hostess seemed a bit harried upon arrival, which is fine, but I shouldn't sense her stress.Special Features:
- Great food; wish I could see it!FoxgloveDined on 5/3/2014When I made the reservation to bring guests to The Blue Room last Saturday night, I had a vague memory of being annoyed the last time I dined there. When we arrived and were seated, I remembered--it's the 10-watt light bulbs. This is a seriously DARK restaurant. I mean, low light is fine but barely being able to make out the face of the person sitting across the table? SERIOUSLY annoying. That said, the food was great (even if we did have to strain to read the menu) and the service was more than adequate. But the light! OMG. Seriously, it's BAD, and this will factor into future dining decisions.Special Features:
- Limited menuStuartVIPDined on 4/30/2014My wife eats very healthy. She will not eat meat and only wild fish. The menu was very limited. She ended up eating two appetizers and was not thrilled by them.
- Successful birthday at Blue RoomTheCatDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant was a great choice for our son's 30th birthday party Saturday night. The restaurant was lively and our table was cozy and comfortable. We loved the food. I had the wood grilled lamb which was very tasty and seasoned well. My sons shared the gnocchi and the pork belly appetizers and loved them. The gnocchi was tender not doughy with a sauce made of chevre cheese. The wine list had plenty of options including bottles for under $40. We ordered an earthy, so spicy red wine recommended by our server. The restaurant treated us to a complimentary after dinner dessert wine when they knew it was a birthday. All in all it was a great experience and we all left very pleased with the party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful food and settingRosie24Dined on 4/26/2014Three out of four of us loved our entrees. (The chickpea dish was voted "bland"). But cocktails were fab as was everything else. Seated quickly, efficient service. A perfect evening.Special Features:
- Awesome Kendall spot!MichDined on 4/25/2014We went here for the first time this weekend and were so pleased! The food was great; there are many healthy options to choose from. We got beets for an appetizer and they were amazing! Will definetly be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome AtmosphereJakeDined on 4/22/2014Staff were friendly, food was delicious, service was excellent. You need to try this place, A++Special Features:
- A favorite spotLloydVIPDined on 4/21/2014This is a great place for a special occasion, which is when I usually come here. The food is consistently excellent. The service is thoughtful. And it's a very cosy place to be. The level has remained high after many years. I love it!Special Features:
- Easter's finestWWSRICDined on 4/20/2014Visitors to the great city of Boston, we were treated like royalty at The Blue Room. The brunch food was delicious and plentiful. They offered a nice variety of breakfast, lunch and vegetarian choices. We were a party of 11 and they graciously put us in a private wine room. If they offer the wine room, take it! We will revisit on other visits to MIT.Special Features:
- NiceCardinalbillDined on 4/18/2014Dinner entrees were great--chicken, hangar steak, lamb. Shortbread dessert was good but the chai creme brûlée was pungent and strong with a nutmeg taste--would avoid if you prefer a traditional creme brûlée. Our waiter went AWOL (it was not busy) but the busboys were very attentive. Overall, a great meal and will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!foodieDined on 4/17/2014Took my out of town managers here for dinner the other night. Really great service, wine served at the table even though purchased by the glass - love that! Food was brought in a timely but not rushed manner.....Would go again and againSpecial Features:
- Continues to be a favoriteredraven38Dined on 4/16/2014The Blue Room never disappoints. Great food options and creative cocktails. Quiet enough for good conversation at the table, but plenty of other diners to show that the restaurant is popular. My friend and I enjoyed the cheese appetizer -- although the toasted pita bread served with it was awkward, so we used the bread basket instead to enjoy the lovely fruit compote. The branzino dish I ordered was fantastic -- some heat to make it flavorful, but not too hot, which my heartburn appreciated. And the pavlova dessert with fresh berries was by far the most enjoyable treat I've had in awhile. I'll be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely satisfiedFoodie1Dined on 4/12/2014Excellent meal. We visited the Blue Room years ago and loved it, but I was hesitant to return after so long due to a couple of lukewarm Open Table reviews (baffling). The meals were creative, complex, and beautifully balanced. Lots of North African influences. Highlights for us: we loved the beats, beautifully balanced with the apricot and blue cheese. Second course, the branzino was our favorite, especially the brussel sprouts, though the lamb shank was served beautifully with harissa, fregola, and yogurt. The wine suggestions were spot on (knowledgeable server). Enjoyed a delightful bourbon cocktail with allspice before dinner. For dessert, the chevre gelato was out of this world. Lighting could be better, couldn't read the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmokeyDennisVIPDined on 4/12/2014The night we were most recently there the air was smokey. We were told the kitchen had switched to a wood grilling or wood oven firing method. The ventilation may have been under performing or if not it needs adjusting. There were times I felt I was seated downwind of an open campfire. Otherwise all was well. The food was great and the service attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find for a relaxed dinnerAzmatDined on 4/1/2014The ambiance, food and service were exemplary for a relaxed dinner. My friend and I asked for the main course to be brought later which the hostess did really well....We had a great corner table...Could not have been a much better dining experience! Note that this was a Tuesday night....It is probably much busier later on in the week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My kind of crowdCharlottesville29Dined on 3/29/2014My friend and I were tucked into a tiny table in a corner--the place is crowded in several senses--among a number of older academics in groups. We were asked if we were in a hurry before a movie. In other words, it's a favorite in Cambridge MA with my demographic. Absolutely delicious rabbit confit linguine--the sauce and flavor were simply absorbed into a flavorful blend with the right texture, perfect for a rainy evening. I liked the cocktail they called their version of a manhattan, tasteful frisee salad. Friendly and efficient service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a bit on the saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2014Food was a bit on the salty side. Flavors and texture were all over the map. Overall, not a bad experience. It wasn't a great one either.
- Disappointed in CambridgeRestaurantWeekReviewerDined on 3/27/2014Four of us went out for Restaurant Week on a Thursday evening. We all ordered different appetizers, dinners and dessert. Only one dinner was excellent. All the other dishes were mediocre and did not live up to their descriptions on the menu. Most were served lukewarm. One of us had been to the restaurant a couple of years ago and recommended it so we were all looking forward to a great meal. Unfortunately, we were disappointed.
- Food was wowRobin25VIPDined on 3/23/2014Every dish was excellent and beautifully presented. We hadn't been in a while but now we are anxious to return. The service seemed a bit overwhelmed, however (Sunday evening of restaurant week).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchMassCoupleDined on 3/23/2014This was our first time at The Blue Room for Sunday brunch. Overall, there were a good selection of food and the items we sampled were hot and delicious. There were a few things that did not make it a five-star review. When we arrived, even though we made a reservation, we were told that they had to clean and set tables before seating us, when we could visibly see open tables available. It was a strange set up with the desert table by the entrance/exit door. Our service was almost non-existing. We had to ask twice for orange juice, was not offered more coffee, no spoons on the table, and after a second visit to the buffet, the first plates were still sitting on the table when we returned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchBergamotDined on 3/23/2014The buffet had good crispy bacon, poached eggs, smoked salmon, patatas brava, a variety of salads, and lovely cranberry bread and rosemary shortbread. Plus a dozen more dishes that tempted, but were too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before or After a MovieOmnivoreVIPDined on 3/22/2014This place was here before the Kendall Square Cinema arrived, but they have learned to adjust to the ebb and flow of the movie crowd. Great cocktail list. I ordered the prix fixe from the Dine Out Boston menu and enjoyed all three courses. My wife ordered a la carte. She loved her char appetizer, but found the main dish, a properly cooked piece of tuna, to not be a very good grade of fish--difficult to cut and chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the hype...plato79Dined on 3/22/2014Friends of mine had raved about the Blue Room, but I'd never been until last Saturday. It totally met the hype. The food was excellent and quire creative. My husband and I really enjoyed the food combinations and the staff/kitchen were great about handling my gluten allergies. For appetizers, we ordered the marinated beet salad and the poached egg with gorgonzola polenta. The appetizers were tasty, albeit very different. For entrees, we ordered the branzino and the chickpea pate. Both were sumptuous, delicious, and everything was spot-on. I couldn't decide a favorite between the two entrees, as they were both excellent. I thought the drink/wine list was just average. My cocktail was just ok, but my wine paired fabulously with my dinner.Special Features:
- Very good foodAverageVIPDined on 3/22/2014Very good food. I would like them to have a larger menuSpecial Features:
- Always excellent!BarryDined on 3/21/2014The Blue Room never disappoints - from the curated wine list and creative cocktails, delicious food that is never boring and friendly informative service, I can always count on a terrific experience!Special Features:
- Totally OrdinaryfoodluverVIPDined on 3/21/2014It's not bad, it's just very ordinary. The place is nicely decorated and it has a cool vibe, but the food and service is very ordinary for the price tag.
- Great ExperienceBawbVIPDined on 3/18/2014Excellent food and service (despite one of our party being particularly demanding), and overall a great time! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Def give it a tryTheUsualDined on 3/17/2014I loved going there for restaurant week. i had passed it a million times on my way to the movies but never stopped by. I really had an amazing time. The pork belly was divine. I really liked the lamb dish as well though it could have been better seasoned. The only disappointing thing is that the drink was filled only halfway up glass. I can see if I ordered scotch or whiskey. But this was a mized drink. Do better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal!judyfoodDined on 3/10/2014I was celebrating a major milestone birthday with friends. The food and service were both so outstanding that it helped me get past the minor depression I was feeling about the birthday. It really was a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abundant BrunchOut2EatDined on 3/9/2014The Blue Room offers a range of yummy options for brunch, from the French Toast casserole to squash soup, from eggs scrambled wonderfully with creme fraiche to salmon steaks and roasted potatoes. Walk through the line and save room, if you are so inclined, for a whole table of cookies and cakes and sweet breads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food but "busy" ambienceRaulCorazonDined on 3/8/2014My girlfriend and I have been dining at TBR for several years for special occasions, and usually on Saturday nights. The last two times we've noticed that the room has gotten "busier" ... more patrons, yes, but it also seems as if there are more tables in the space and it's definitely a lot noisier. It used to feel more romantic and peaceful. Not so much now. That aside, the food is always fantastic, and the kitchen always sends over something extra to honor our special occasion, and the wait staff always brings over something from the bar to do the same, and we appreciate that. The service has ranged from good (the last two visits) to outstanding. Overall, TBR is an excellent restaurant and we always look forward to a dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had our dinner at the barOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014We had our dinner at the bar and it was quaint, cozy and quiet with very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentgauchoDined on 3/7/2014I was looking forward to dining at The Blue Room given the positive reviews. Both my husband and I were disappointed. Yes, it looks like a trendy place that would attract a young crowd, but the menu was certainly not worth the prices, nor was the wine. An experience not to be repeated.
- Blue Room Great FoodlouieDined on 3/5/2014nowhere to be seen for awhile and I had to flag down someone else. By the time my food came back cooked, everyone else was doneHave been to this restaurant many times and love the food. Service on this uncrowded Wednesday was not good. Steak was supposed to be medium rare and parts looked almost uncooked. Waitress was . Usually a great place, so I was disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch!SGregorioVIPDined on 3/2/2014Went with my two college age daughters. Had a truly terrific time. All of the food was spectacular and quite varied. Would go back again in a heart beat!Special Features:
- Back after a few years away....Rebeck111Dined on 3/2/2014Items by the hearth were delicious, as ever. Desserts were a bit of a mixed bag; 'the brownies & oat cookies were lovely, but the c.cake muffin dry and unmemorable, as was the choc chip cookie; the van.scone had a slightly bitter taste. I missed the rice pudding that used to be a staple, as well as the macaroons. The bloody Mary's were great. coffee was average and slow to be refilled. Greater attentiveness at reception would help set a better tone. We don't enjoy waiting only to have folks arriving after us seated before us and the party ahead of us. Service used to be more effective. All in all, things were fine, if nothing to rave about anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls' Sunday BrunchKatBDined on 3/2/2014Four of us met for brunch on a Sunday in March. The food was delicious, we had plenty of hot coffee and were able to sit and talk for a nice stretch of time. Also, parking on the street was available!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED ITFoodieGaloreVIPDined on 3/1/2014This was my second time dining at The Blue Room and it held up to expectations! I will be sending work colleagues there for lunch/dinner as much as possible! Waitstaff was knowledgeable, professional and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.