The Blue Rock Inn
12567 Lee Highway
Washington, VA 22747Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Rock Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thebluerockinn.com/
- Phone: 5409873388x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 8:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 8:30pm, ; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John D. Moss
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: During the late Spring through Summer
A word from The Blue Rock Inn
The Blue Rock is a classic country inn located on eighty rolling acres, in picturesque Rappahannock County, Virginia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Blue Rock Inn - Best Restaurants in Washington ›
The Blue Rock Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (19)scenic view (19)great for outdoor dining (17)special occasion (14)fit for foodies (12)great for brunch (8)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (4)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Lake side patio diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The restaurant is located right on the farm with a pond nearby and a bed and breakfast that is perfect for weddings, etc. Awesome views. My aunt says the crab cakes are wonderful. With heirloom sweet potatoes, it looked like a signature dish. Bison ribs are different from pork ribs, larger and fewer, served over fries. They use a vinegar based barbecue sauce, so it has a bit of a bite rather than sweet. The vinegar slaw was crisp with a bit of a bite as well, but a good contrast to the sweet sauce. They carry several bottled beers, including Leffe and Bold Rock cider.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Place to Dine with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014One of our favorites spots for the past ten years. Always special. $M setting. Be there for sunset.Special Features:
- guernsey59Dined on 8/24/2014Best restaurant in the area! The view was beautiful from the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refused Open Table Rewards!!Right2EatVIPDined on 8/17/2014It was fortunate I had some extra cash with me because they refused to accept my Open Table reward check! How can they use the reservation system, but refuse to accept reward checks?Special Features:
- Retrying, Nice ChangeOldblue2014Dined on 8/13/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the delicious dinner after being away from the Inn for years. We came back to try the Inn and restaurant under the new ownership and we were not disappointed. Our special breakfast made just for us started our day on a great path. I'm looking forward to another visit to the Blue Rock with the current staff and Inn Keepers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedBrianWDined on 8/2/2014As always, a delicious meal served in beautiful surroundings. We will be backSpecial Features:
- FabulousveggiegrlDined on 7/19/2014This is our go-to special-occasion place in Rappahannock County. Beautiful view, delicious menu.Special Features:
- PolitoDined on 7/18/2014The duck which my wife ordered did not, in her opinion, taste very good.Special Features:
- Delightful dining, bucolic ambienceErsatzHaderachDined on 7/13/2014No complaints here! I was so pleased with my pre-Castleton Festival dinner that I returned for brunch the next morning. The food is gourmet American, with classy presentation, fresh ingredients, and some interesting creative takeoffs (the watermelon gazpacho with carrot-ginger drizzle was scrumptious). The wines on offer are a decent mix of local and international. Service was swift and friendly, and the dining room windows overlook a pretty little pond where geese, deer, horses and songbirds might appear, with the gentle blue mountains behind. I really enjoyed my time at Blue Rock and will be returning if I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting and good foodwhatsfordinnerDined on 7/5/2014The menu had many choices. Everyone at our table ordered something different, and all were happy with their choice. The pork spring rolls are divine! We were there on a lovely day, so we sat outside and took in the beautiful view of the mountains and the pond. The service was efficient and friendly. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful evening, great viewsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2014We sat on the patio looking out at the beautiful countryside and mountain views. Our appetizers, salad and wine were very good, main courses disappointing! The last two times we've been here it has been the same. I figure we'll give it one more try. Our waiter, Elijah was excellent!Special Features:
- Country pleasureLIsaRDined on 5/24/2014We had a very good meal served attractively in a quiet and scenic setting. Unfortunately several items on the menu that we would have ordered were not available. The only downside to the evening was that the service was painfully slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/10/2014The produce a good quality product that not something that would make me want to go back. The cooking was slightly uneven with some dishes being great but other not worth the price. The service was uneven. A place to go to once for the experience but not the kind of place that anyone would want to be a regular customer.
- A restaurant rebirthBluebeardDined on 5/4/2014I had been a fan of the former "Bleu Rock Inn" during my many visits to the US in the 90s. Unfortunately he closed and so I had to look for other places, none of which matched the combination of great location, great food and friendliness of that restaurant. So I was happily surprised during a recent trip to discover that the restaurant had re-opened and I promised myself to pay it a visit. I confirm the place is back to its former glory, and we enjoyed a fantastic experience dining there at the end of long hiking day in the Shenandoah. Food, wine, service, settings (former dining room) where as I remembered. Thanks again for that nice evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 100 reviews are from the The Blue Rock Inn reviews archive.
- Disappointed in ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary (we married at the Blue Rock Inn 6 years ago). Although we made reservations for "fine dining" we were put in the "pub room". This was okay at first (although the table was small and a bit cramped) because they had Jazz playing (on the TV)and no one else was around. Before the appetizers showed up though they changed the channel to the Kentucky Derby and a large, loud group of folks came in the room to watch it. I just wanted to eat and leave as the crowd got louder and louder. So, I don't believe we will go back again...The food was good but the overall ambience was lacking for the occasion we were celebrating.Special Features:
- A Piedmont GemPNJCDined on 4/30/2014This is the sort of establishment one wishes to promote so as to keep it in business, but not promote so much as to expand it beyond its unique nature: beautiful serene setting, delightfully comfortable arrangements, and a good variety of very well-developed and artfully executed appetizers and entrees. An unexpected gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful weather, delicious brunchDottieDined on 4/27/2014Was able to enjoy a delicious brunch on their patio with scenic views and wonderful weather. Made for a memorable birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Good not greatkandjDined on 4/20/2014Nice country setting. Easter brunch buffet was good but not great. Not worth the price paid. Also, we were taken aback when we presented an Open Table rewards check for partial payment of the bill and were told by our waitress that the restaurant does not participate in the rewards program. How can they take that position and still be a participating restaurant in Open Table? The letter that came with the rewards check stated that it is accepted at all Open Table restaurants and that it should be treated by the establishment like a traveler's check.Special Features:
- Great brunch with top level serviceBrianWDined on 4/6/2014Our 4th visit. Usually it is just the two of us but this time we were five. Wonderful food and great service. A little too cold to sit outside. Only glitch was trying to book thru OpenTable. When I tried to book for five people for brunch at 11:00 am I got the message that no tables were available for 2 1/2 hours. When I switched the booking to four people there was no problem. Since we were the only people there at 11 am, this is clearly a problem with the way bookings are set upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From start to finish, theMamabirdDined on 2/20/2014From start to finish, the food was delicious and beautifully presented. Even though we were the only diners on a quiet winter mid-week evening, we were never rushed or made to feel like we were keeping the staff from closing up shop. Our server was cheerful and attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfect!guernsey59Dined on 12/27/2013We went to the Blue Rock Inn in lieu of exchanging gifts for Christmas. We were greeted with a smile and seated immediately in the dining room with a beautiful roaring fire. The wine was excellent. Maureen is an awesome waitress and took great care of us! The food was exquisite as always! We got a chance to talk to John the chef at the end of our meal and thanked him for the great evening. We love the Blue Rock Inn!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary BrunchPhillyCreamDined on 11/17/2013We could not have been more pleased with our experience at the Blue Rock this past Sunday. Our waiter was outstanding, the setting terrific, and the food was perfect! This was our first time at the Blue Rock but definitely not the last.Special Features:
- They are tryingSwinva2002Dined on 10/26/2013It seems that The Blue Tock Inn is trying hard to be a high quality inn. But something just isn't synching. We had a large party with 1 server who appeared to be knowledgeable but over tasked. Food came out haphazardly and the quality of the food was average for the price tag. There is something amiss in the management of this establishment it seems.Special Features:
- Duck breast was disappointing,Used2luvezeplaceVIPDined on 10/18/2013Duck breast was disappointing, despite strong recommendation by servers. Location is great and there are few affordable alternatives in the area, so here is hoping that they up their game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice food, wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2013Very nice food, wonderful daytime view. Service was attentive though a little lacking in polish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great ExperienceKenGDined on 10/2/2013The Blue Rock Inn was a very pleasant surprise. Great hospitality, great food along with a great view!Special Features:
- A beauty in the countryLavernegDined on 9/28/2013The Blue Rock Inn is a lovely spot for dinner inside or outside. The service was fabulous the other night. We started out on the patio with a drink and an appetizer. When we were ready, the four of us moved inside for a tasty, elegant dinner. We have always had a great experience here including the B&B accommodations. This sweet spot in Virginia always feels like a French country getaway without a plane fare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smoking policy?neighborDined on 9/20/2013Only one thing marred an otherwise splendid evening: Two smokers at one table near us on the terrace and another who came out twice from inside.. The smoke definitely interfered with our enjoyment of our meal. How about a policy requiring smokers to move to the other side of the building or out on the lawn when they feel the need for a smoke?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2013This was our first visit to Blue Rock Inn and we brought along our houseguests. We all were impressed with the inn. Wonderful ambience thoughout, very clean and neat and well layed out. The menu offered a nice variety of dishes, the excellent food was served in creative ways, and the waitstaff was friendly, helpful and attentive. A beautiful walled in alfresco dining patio could be seen from the windows of the main dining room, which afforded the same great views: a lovely pond; gamboling horses in a paddock, Blue Ridge Mountains nestled in the near distance. We dined on a Thursday evening when it was extremely quiet. We'll go again on a Friday or Saturday evening to see if our experience changes in any major way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've recommended several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2013We were very happy to discover the Blue Rock Inn and will be back. The setting is very pretty and takes advantage of the country setting with a beautiful patio and nicely decorated dining rooms with big windows. My brunch was delicious (french toast, eggs and bacon) and my husband's creole shrimp and grits was good. The unusual variety of biscuits were fantastic and worth going back for on their own. Go and enjoy!Special Features:
- Gem in ShenandoahIntoGoodFoodVIPDined on 9/14/2013In the past 8 years several stellar restaurants closed their doors in the Shenandoah area. Fortunately, Blue Rock cropped up. It has everything: great food - mains are wonderfully complemented with original, tasty sides - good wines and atmosphere, scenic views. A tired but discerning gourmand hikers' dream. Wine tasters delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely Late Summer EveningWendyVIPDined on 9/14/2013This is the second time I have eaten at the Blue Rock Inn.This time we were shown to a charming dining room inside yet in full view of the patio and the wonderful outdoor scenery. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great music!AlocalDined on 9/13/2013Music was great! Perhaps they had a busy night inside, but service was hard to come by on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Outdoor DinngAdventurerDined on 9/7/2013The Blue Rock Inn provided an exceptional outdoor Dinng experience. The food was outstanding and the Patio dining was romantic. The Patio has Beautiful views of the Blue Ridge mountains and we experienced a gorgeous sunset over the mountains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and RemoteMDS123Dined on 9/1/2013Great Country Inn (B&B) located in the rolling hills of Virginia near the Skyline Drive. The only issue is the menu on their web site is not up-to-date but you still have good selections. It may be the fact it was a holiday but the service was a little slow. Great views! Good Food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!DottieDined on 8/25/2013The food was so delicious. The Seafood crepe, grilled vegetables and fresh sweet fruit were outstanding. We sat outside on the lovely patio overlooking water with fountain and the beautiful mountain view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food average and price expensiveDsovaDined on 8/17/2013Food average and price expensive for quality. Service inattentive. People nice. Would recommend the Inn which is lovely.Special Features:
- Great Food and Serviceliv4luvDined on 8/16/2013I knew it was going to be a special night, when we first step in the restaurant. The service was great from the beginning til the end. The food was fresh and hot, the desert strawberry shortcake taste just like Mama's. I will visit again and take some of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting in the ShenadoahsdiscerningdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2013If possible, sit on the patio overlooking a small pond. Unfortunately, service & food did not match our expectations. Our waitress made multiple mistakes, After specifically stating an appetizer had no onions, it came out & was chock full of onions. 15 minutes later a 2nd appetizer came after the rest of our party had finished theirs. Then the bison filet came covered in onions OMG!!! To make matters worse the wine cork on an $80 bottle broke Our waitress was going to continue opening the bottle to serve us. We politely asked for a new bottle. Food was mediocre, nothing bad just nothing memorable. And to top of the poor service, our 2nd bottle of wine arrived when our dinner was finished! A pricey meal for subpar food & serviceSpecial Features:
- A Revitalized Old FriendOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/10/2013We have been going to The Blue Rock Inn for some three decades while it has been under various owners and staffing. We were concerned when the enterprise came out of bankruptcy several years ago that the quality aspirations of the new owners would not be achievable and sustainable. We have been reassured by our recent experiences that The Blue Rock Inn is back to, and perhaps even exceeding, its original quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.