The Blue Ox
191 Oxford Street
Lynn, MA 01901Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Ox
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theblueoxlynn.com/
- Phone: (781)780-5722 x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Bar: Opens Tuesday through Sunday at 4:00 to close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Matt O'Neil
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for a convenient North Shore location to host your next event? You'll see why The Blue Ox was voted "Best New Restaurant." Offering multiple private dining options, a professional staff, and delicious menu, The Blue Ox will exceed your expectations!
- Private Party Contact: Joanna ONeil 8772452019
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Public Transit: We are a short walk from the Lynn station of the MBTA Commuter Rail.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Blue Ox has expanded our parking options with a large, well-marked lot just steps from our front door offering free parking for all guests. There is also plenty of street parking available.
A word from The Blue Ox
The Blue Ox is a casual neighborhood restaurant that strives to be inviting, relaxing, and value-oriented. Our dining room and bar offers an approachable American style menu with a twist, warm and family-friendly décor, and exceptional service filled with personality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Blue Ox - Best Restaurants in Lynn ›
The Blue Ox reviews from OpenTable diners
239 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (178)neighborhood gem (172)hot spot (111)special occasion (103)vibrant bar scene (99)good for groups (71)notable wine list (69)romantic (48)kid-friendly (27)late-night find (17)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- deborah1019Dined on 10/25/2014The Blue Ox is a reliable, better than average restaurant in a downtrodden inner-city location. The service is always professional and the food is delicious, though they could use a change in their menu more often. Tuna tartare is to die for, as are their hamburgers and their home-made potato chips. We go there often and are never disappointed.Special Features:
- not a good experienceHerdinessDined on 10/25/2014I was disappointed with our anniversary meal on Saturday night. The bolognese was over-garliced and my wife got the rib-eye instead of the filet. An even though we got the filet price for the $43 rib-eye it just wasn't worth it. The steak special wasn't very tasty and had chewy strings of fat running through it. And on top of that, we were seated at this little 2 seat table floating out in the middle of server traffic. Not very comfortable. Not at all what I expect when I'm spending over $150 for two for dinner. I've had better experiences at the Blue Ox, served by Holly. Never again, I'm afraid.Special Features:
- Great place...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The staff are all really friendly and welcoming. The food was amazingly awesome, everyone in my group were all extremely happy with what they had ordered. It is definitely a place I will be visiting again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Food was excellent, we had reservation for 6:30, we were not seated until 7:00; this was a disappointment as we had tickets to a show around the corner at 8:00. Although we informed the server we had a show to go to at 8:00 around the corner the service was not as prompt as it could have been. We were told it was not big deal if we missed the opening act, another disappointment. Will be sure to make earlier reservations in the future. We will go back, the food was fantastic!Special Features:
- Super Busy For a ShowMrsMichaelVIPDined on 10/24/2014We went before seeing a show at city hall. It was super busy, there was even a waiting list to sit at the bar. But they sat us on time and we were out before the show so they know what they are doing. The food was wonderful, the wait staff a little harried, but that's because almost everyone in the restaurant needed be out at the same time.Special Features:
- horrendous experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014We made reservations for 6:30pm for 4 people to dine here before an 8pm Natalie Cole concert at the Lynn auditorium. We arrived at 6:15 that evening and was told by Joanna, the hostess we would be seated closer to our reservaton time. We were directed to the bar. The place was packed, there no room at the bar. We were not told by the hostess what the issue was, we finally inquired at 7:00 and was told they were doing the best the could...really !!! Finally at 7:15 the manager apologized and offered us drinks. He told us the table would be ready shortly. We were finally seated at 7:30. Although the meal was comped, I would never go back.
- I love OXcosmo4meDined on 10/24/2014The Blue Ox has become my absolute favorite restaurant. The food, the atmosphere, the wine and the service are always excellent. The smoked steaks are out of this world.Special Features:
- PerfectNJF84Dined on 10/23/2014My husband and I love going to The Blue Ox for date night !! The hostesses, waitstaff, bartenders and management are always so nice and make the dining experience a pleasurable one !! There is always a great selection of specialty drinks and outstanding daily specials . The food is amazing and we never leave disappointed !! We are always so full and happy at the end of our visit to The Blue Ox !! I highly recommend this hidden gem of a restaraunt to anyone looking for a great night out !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slipping a little?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Food was very good, but service seems to have slipped a bit, still good but not very good, as it has been in the past. Server was not very attentive. Seating a party of three at a table for six was a bit weird feeling, when other options were available, especially since the table was made up of three small tables anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discussing wedding plansholidaydinerDined on 10/22/2014Delicious food. nice atmosphere , plenty of parking . Great pomegranate martini's. I'll go back again during the holidays as a gift to myself .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!AmicaDined on 10/22/2014Wonderful food as always. Our server was extremely helpful and on top of making sure we felt pampered. It is our favorite neighborhood restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatSpinneylynnDined on 10/22/2014Consistent food and quality. Great and knowledgeable wait staff. Prices are appropriate for quality and quantity of food. Great wine list!Special Features:
- UnmatchedAnCaladh8Dined on 10/21/2014For last Tuesday's Date-Night dinner, my wife and I returned after the long summer to TBO. At first I was tentative. Could they maintain the overall outstanding combo of food and service we had experienced before? They not only met, but FAR exceeded our expectations. Upon leaving we agreed that it was not a good experience...it was a GREAT experience. With three score plus years to my name, and millions of miles travelled, I can honestly say it was one of my Top 10 meals of all times. Well done Matt and Charlie and your team. Over the top!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wanted to love it but...bring2521Dined on 10/21/2014I never do reviews on restaurants and food because I feel its very suggestive and not always to ring true but in this case I felt I really needed too. Ive been to Blue Ox on a few occasions and have loved it each and every time except for this time. I decided to order the Pumpkin Ravioli and my husband was dying to try the award winning Sin Burger. He ordered it Medium but it arrived Well Done!... I suppose he could have sent it back except my dinner had arrived and he didnt want me to wait. Now mine, I was excited to try Pumpkin Ravioli but to my dislike it was covered with Pumpkin seeds. I tried to take them off but it was hard to find them all. Nothing worse then spitting out Pumpkin seeds with every bite. Not sure I'lll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 10/19/2014Only my zillion the time here, and once again very happy and excited to go back! Ordered the baked stuffed brie which was so tasty and comforting. The boy ordered the salmon which was perfectly cooked and bursting with flavor. He usually hates eating his vegetables, but loved the kale/radish/mushroom medley to both of our surprise. I ordered the cod which was light and paired with the most delicious pumpkin risotto. Their drinks are so original, try the dark and stormier, it's amazing and perfect for this autumn weather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night at Blue OxnorthshorefoodieDined on 10/18/2014As usual the food and drinks were delicious--that has been a given every time that we've gone for dinner. Unfortunately, because the restaurant was so busy on this night, they had run out of several of the items that we were hoping to order--namely all of their burger selections and one of the dessert items. We still enjoyed what we did order from both the apps menu and the nightly specials. The meal and the experience were still fantastic, and we will still go back often, and we will eventually have the menu items that we missed on this visit.Special Features:
- Wow!FatOneDined on 10/17/2014First time I've gone here. Everything was awesome! We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a fabulous dinnerFebruarygalDined on 10/17/2014Hanger steak was so delicious as was kopeks tenderloin and chicken. Service was attentive, and the place was hopping!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!JaneVIPDined on 10/17/2014Had the chopped salad and the pasta with butternut squash and brussels sprouts and they were both heavenly. Our waiter was great and really knew his drinks and food. We were there before a concert and he was very aware of our time constraints. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/17/2014Both of our meals were absolute perfection. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Always Always Always Amazing!LuckygirlDined on 10/14/2014It's wonderful to find a restaurant that is consistently great and constantly changing their menu. Finally tried the wings and I'm still dreaming of them. Also tried the special Lobster Fra Diavolo, which was perfectly cooked with a great spice kick. Fabulous dining experience!Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014I have been to The Blue Ox multiple times but this last time was the best. We were seated a small cozy corner table. The tables and chairs are not the most fancy but the food makes up for the lack of decor. We started off with the Brie appetizer, it was superb! We then split a chopped salad. It was plated separately for us and the portions were big. It was a great combination of cheese and beets and nuts, very good! I had the Seasonal Pumpkin Ravioli with a brown sugar, sage sauce, absolutely perfect! It was quite a large portion that I was not expecting. My boyfriend had the chicken and raved about it! We finished with a delicious creme brulee and cordials. The waitress was very good and knowledgeable. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BacknineBACKNINEDined on 10/11/2014A fantastic restaurant. Food is second to none. Entire staff is excellant--a great knowledge of the entire menu and substitutions you may make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My All-Time FavoritesjbanDined on 10/10/2014Great food, great drinks, great service. I been here many times. That's all I can say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived Up To The HypeImpressedDined on 10/10/2014I was told by everyone I know how great the Blue Ox is. From the food, drinks, service, you name it. I went there with my wife for our anniversary and was happy to find out that everything I was told, was tr7e. Delicious, prompt, courteous and memorable. Thank you Blue Ox! We'll be back soon and frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itKarenDined on 10/9/2014Heard great things about it, so glad I went the tuna tartar was fabulous.Special Features:
- Consistently terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014When your waiter brings you a tasting of a wine you asked about, you know it is going to be another good evening at the Ox. The host came too saying Chef O'Neil was going to start over as the filet was not cooked to his liking and wondered if we wanted a snack while we waited a few minutes longer. This is why we come and love the Ox. The pork and filets are a perfect meal from first to last bite and I really enjoyed the Chatham oysters with a prosecco and herbs dip that only enhanced these briny delights.Special Features:
- Fantastic food!Jitterbug05Dined on 10/4/2014Went out to dinner with my husband. We had a great time. Staff is great and the food was out of this world! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best spot aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Cant beat the quality and attention to detail anywhereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerOutandaboutDined on 10/1/2014Made a reservation for a wednesday night and the place was full when we arrived. The tables were comfortably spaced and we were given a cozy corner table for two. Waitress was friendly. Had the Tuna dinner special which was awesome. Nice wine selection to choose from. After dinner our waitress brought us two tasty complimentary glasses of homemade Limoncello.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EleanorVIPDined on 9/28/2014Everyone enjoyed a delicious dinner celebrating our daughter's birthday. Everything was so good. I had the pork tenderloin and it was out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch dining experience in LynnsaugusrosaDined on 9/28/2014We had been wanting to try the Blue Ox, and thought it would be a good choice for our anniversary dinner. We were thoroughly impressed by the quality of the food, drink, service and ambiance. Pricey, but worth it if you're looking for a fine dining experience. My oysters were perfect, and the filet mignon was the best steak I ever had. My husband loved the special wings appetizer and he got the filet as well. Fun cocktail menu and great desserts. Our waitress delivered impeccable service. We will return!Special Features:
- One the best on North of Bostonbsp1234Dined on 9/24/2014There are a handful of great restaurants on the North Shore. The Blue Ox always is amazing and my top choice. I can't go and not order the tuna with the homemade potato chips as an appetizer. I always struggle with what to order because it all so good. I had the salmon this time and I would order again for sure. The drinks are yummy and strong too. If you have not been yet - go! And, make a reservation they are always busy!!!Special Features:
- OutstandingMustgoRestaurantDined on 9/24/2014This is a highly recommended place in the area to go for excellent food. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Worth a detour, maybe a journey!JOHN02155VIPDined on 9/23/2014Amazing find in Lynn, very sophisticated, good bar. Uses locally sourced food when possible. (There's a community garden across the street!)Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner... again!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our 3rd time here, and it hasn't disappointed us yet! The smoked filet special is out of this world, get it! I ordered the monkfish special, and do not regret it. So full of flavor, and the veggies underneath were the perfect balance to the meaty fish. Would definitely order again!Special Features:
- Delicious - again!att71Dined on 9/20/2014This was our 5th visit and did not disappoint! The oysters on the half shell were incredibly fresh. I had the roasted salmon which was delicious and a pretty generous portion. My husband had the hanger steak which was also very good. Overall, service was very professional though it took a bit to get our bill. We had a great table by the window, so the noise wasn't too much an issue, but certainly would have been further into the restaurant. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- ronnieronnieDined on 9/20/2014everything was excellant from the service to the food good jobSpecial Features:
- noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014The Blue Ox's reputation proceeds it. I think because it's in Lynn, it get s a higher rating than if it was in Boston. I mean, it's Lynn , right? and it's a decent restaurant. The food is good, but pretty pricey , $42 for a steak ? The ambiance is OK, unless you are seated in the front room, then it feels like you are in a cafeteria. I'm referring to the very front tables, not the bar high top area. Even with a reservation, we were " stuck " in the front room. There is a brick lined room to the side, but we didn't have that choice. Too bad, then it might have been a better experience. Overall, It's good , but expensive and loud and crowded.Special Features:
- Blue OxFinediningDined on 9/19/2014Had a great time and great food! Service was great as well. Have already recommended restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.