The Blue Ox
191 Oxford Street
Lynn, MA 01901Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Ox
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theblueoxlynn.com/
- Phone: (781) 780-5722
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Bar: Opens Tuesday through Sunday at 4:00 to close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Matt O'Neil
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for a convenient North Shore location to host your next event? You'll see why The Blue Ox was voted "Best New Restaurant." Offering multiple private dining options, a professional staff, and delicious menu, The Blue Ox will exceed your expectations!
- Private Party Contact: Joanna ONeil 8772452019
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Public Transit: We are a short walk from the Lynn station of the MBTA Commuter Rail.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Blue Ox has expanded our parking options with a large, well-marked lot just steps from our front door offering free parking for all guests. There is also plenty of street parking available.
A word from The Blue Ox
The Blue Ox is a casual neighborhood restaurant that strives to be inviting, relaxing, and value-oriented. Our dining room and bar offers an approachable American style menu with a twist, warm and family-friendly décor, and exceptional service filled with personality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Blue Ox - Best Restaurants in Lynn ›
The Blue Ox reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (195)neighborhood gem (179)hot spot (125)special occasion (110)vibrant bar scene (106)notable wine list (76)good for groups (73)romantic (46)kid-friendly (27)late-night find (15)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- I wanted to love it but...bring2521Dined on 10/21/2014I never do reviews on restaurants and food because I feel its very suggestive and not always to ring true but in this case I felt I really needed too. Ive been to Blue Ox on a few occasions and have loved it each and every time except for this time. I decided to order the Pumpkin Ravioli and my husband was dying to try the award winning Sin Burger. He ordered it Medium but it arrived Well Done!... I suppose he could have sent it back except my dinner had arrived and he didnt want me to wait. Now mine, I was excited to try Pumpkin Ravioli but to my dislike it was covered with Pumpkin seeds. I tried to take them off but it was hard to find them all. Nothing worse then spitting out Pumpkin seeds with every bite. Not sure I'lll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 10/19/2014Only my zillion the time here, and once again very happy and excited to go back! Ordered the baked stuffed brie which was so tasty and comforting. The boy ordered the salmon which was perfectly cooked and bursting with flavor. He usually hates eating his vegetables, but loved the kale/radish/mushroom medley to both of our surprise. I ordered the cod which was light and paired with the most delicious pumpkin risotto. Their drinks are so original, try the dark and stormier, it's amazing and perfect for this autumn weather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night at Blue OxnorthshorefoodieDined on 10/18/2014As usual the food and drinks were delicious--that has been a given every time that we've gone for dinner. Unfortunately, because the restaurant was so busy on this night, they had run out of several of the items that we were hoping to order--namely all of their burger selections and one of the dessert items. We still enjoyed what we did order from both the apps menu and the nightly specials. The meal and the experience were still fantastic, and we will still go back often, and we will eventually have the menu items that we missed on this visit.Special Features:
- Wow!FatOneDined on 10/17/2014First time I've gone here. Everything was awesome! We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a fabulous dinnerFebruarygalDined on 10/17/2014Hanger steak was so delicious as was kopeks tenderloin and chicken. Service was attentive, and the place was hopping!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!JaneVIPDined on 10/17/2014Had the chopped salad and the pasta with butternut squash and brussels sprouts and they were both heavenly. Our waiter was great and really knew his drinks and food. We were there before a concert and he was very aware of our time constraints. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/17/2014Both of our meals were absolute perfection. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Always Always Always Amazing!LuckygirlDined on 10/14/2014It's wonderful to find a restaurant that is consistently great and constantly changing their menu. Finally tried the wings and I'm still dreaming of them. Also tried the special Lobster Fra Diavolo, which was perfectly cooked with a great spice kick. Fabulous dining experience!Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014I have been to The Blue Ox multiple times but this last time was the best. We were seated a small cozy corner table. The tables and chairs are not the most fancy but the food makes up for the lack of decor. We started off with the Brie appetizer, it was superb! We then split a chopped salad. It was plated separately for us and the portions were big. It was a great combination of cheese and beets and nuts, very good! I had the Seasonal Pumpkin Ravioli with a brown sugar, sage sauce, absolutely perfect! It was quite a large portion that I was not expecting. My boyfriend had the chicken and raved about it! We finished with a delicious creme brulee and cordials. The waitress was very good and knowledgeable. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BacknineBACKNINEDined on 10/11/2014A fantastic restaurant. Food is second to none. Entire staff is excellant--a great knowledge of the entire menu and substitutions you may make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My All-Time FavoritesjbanDined on 10/10/2014Great food, great drinks, great service. I been here many times. That's all I can say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived Up To The HypeImpressedDined on 10/10/2014I was told by everyone I know how great the Blue Ox is. From the food, drinks, service, you name it. I went there with my wife for our anniversary and was happy to find out that everything I was told, was tr7e. Delicious, prompt, courteous and memorable. Thank you Blue Ox! We'll be back soon and frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itKarenDined on 10/9/2014Heard great things about it, so glad I went the tuna tartar was fabulous.Special Features:
- Consistently terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014When your waiter brings you a tasting of a wine you asked about, you know it is going to be another good evening at the Ox. The host came too saying Chef O'Neil was going to start over as the filet was not cooked to his liking and wondered if we wanted a snack while we waited a few minutes longer. This is why we come and love the Ox. The pork and filets are a perfect meal from first to last bite and I really enjoyed the Chatham oysters with a prosecco and herbs dip that only enhanced these briny delights.Special Features:
- Fantastic food!Jitterbug05Dined on 10/4/2014Went out to dinner with my husband. We had a great time. Staff is great and the food was out of this world! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best spot aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Cant beat the quality and attention to detail anywhereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerOutandaboutDined on 10/1/2014Made a reservation for a wednesday night and the place was full when we arrived. The tables were comfortably spaced and we were given a cozy corner table for two. Waitress was friendly. Had the Tuna dinner special which was awesome. Nice wine selection to choose from. After dinner our waitress brought us two tasty complimentary glasses of homemade Limoncello.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EleanorVIPDined on 9/28/2014Everyone enjoyed a delicious dinner celebrating our daughter's birthday. Everything was so good. I had the pork tenderloin and it was out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch dining experience in LynnsaugusrosaDined on 9/28/2014We had been wanting to try the Blue Ox, and thought it would be a good choice for our anniversary dinner. We were thoroughly impressed by the quality of the food, drink, service and ambiance. Pricey, but worth it if you're looking for a fine dining experience. My oysters were perfect, and the filet mignon was the best steak I ever had. My husband loved the special wings appetizer and he got the filet as well. Fun cocktail menu and great desserts. Our waitress delivered impeccable service. We will return!Special Features:
- One the best on North of Bostonbsp1234Dined on 9/24/2014There are a handful of great restaurants on the North Shore. The Blue Ox always is amazing and my top choice. I can't go and not order the tuna with the homemade potato chips as an appetizer. I always struggle with what to order because it all so good. I had the salmon this time and I would order again for sure. The drinks are yummy and strong too. If you have not been yet - go! And, make a reservation they are always busy!!!Special Features:
- OutstandingMustgoRestaurantDined on 9/24/2014This is a highly recommended place in the area to go for excellent food. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Worth a detour, maybe a journey!JOHN02155VIPDined on 9/23/2014Amazing find in Lynn, very sophisticated, good bar. Uses locally sourced food when possible. (There's a community garden across the street!)Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner... again!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our 3rd time here, and it hasn't disappointed us yet! The smoked filet special is out of this world, get it! I ordered the monkfish special, and do not regret it. So full of flavor, and the veggies underneath were the perfect balance to the meaty fish. Would definitely order again!Special Features:
- Delicious - again!att71Dined on 9/20/2014This was our 5th visit and did not disappoint! The oysters on the half shell were incredibly fresh. I had the roasted salmon which was delicious and a pretty generous portion. My husband had the hanger steak which was also very good. Overall, service was very professional though it took a bit to get our bill. We had a great table by the window, so the noise wasn't too much an issue, but certainly would have been further into the restaurant. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- ronnieronnieDined on 9/20/2014everything was excellant from the service to the food good jobSpecial Features:
- noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014The Blue Ox's reputation proceeds it. I think because it's in Lynn, it get s a higher rating than if it was in Boston. I mean, it's Lynn , right? and it's a decent restaurant. The food is good, but pretty pricey , $42 for a steak ? The ambiance is OK, unless you are seated in the front room, then it feels like you are in a cafeteria. I'm referring to the very front tables, not the bar high top area. Even with a reservation, we were " stuck " in the front room. There is a brick lined room to the side, but we didn't have that choice. Too bad, then it might have been a better experience. Overall, It's good , but expensive and loud and crowded.Special Features:
- Blue OxFinediningDined on 9/19/2014Had a great time and great food! Service was great as well. Have already recommended restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starscaraDined on 9/19/2014The absolute best restaurant in the area. Every aspect is great from the food, to the service, to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!!!Foodie14VIPDined on 9/18/2014Food is always amazing and the service is equally amazing! This restaurant has become one of my favs and we got at least twice a month. Great cocktails, delicious food, great service and great value. It is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistentandyDined on 9/14/2014we've been going to the "ox" since they opened and it's been consistently good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELISH!!!TracyDavidCrewDined on 9/14/2014Blue Ox is a (not so) hidden gem in Lynn! We just moved to the area and we have already been twice. This has already become "our" place for date nights for good food and a killer drink menu. Definitely try their oak barrel Manhattan, Pear Martini and Hot and Dirty Martini.... Just not all in one night. :-)Special Features:
- one of the bestloudDined on 9/13/2014I found Blue Ox to be one of the best restaurants around. I try to go to decent restaurants that offer named food...this place was rewarding. Portions were large for the quality of food. Usually they skimp with the rich dishes, but these guys do not. Location is a little tricky but worth it. Close to downtown lynn, we parked in the eastern bank lot which was allowed. Good thing too. It looks little shady there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food--great service!CoriBDined on 9/12/2014I knew the service would be good from the moment I called to say I would be late due to traffic and that I understood if they couldn't hold my table. The receptionist said, "Don't worry; we'll make it work," and thanked me for calling. And when we arrived, we were promptly escorted to our table. Our server was very friendly and helpful; the great service he and other folks who tended our table provided really added to the quality of our experience. The food was fresh and delicious. The smokiness of my perfectly cooked filet mignon worked wonderfully with the port wine sauce. My husband devoured his crispy code over corn risotto. Drinks were tasty too. We plan on coming back to The Blue Ox!Special Features:
- Definitely worth the tripflowersdollyDined on 9/12/2014We live in Newburyport, MA and took the train to Lynn to dine at the Blue Ox. Our reservation was at 5:30 (so we would make the return train home). We thought the restaurant would be empty at that time. It was pleasantly filled with folks at the bar and in the dining area. It was nice to see families there also. The calamari was delicious. My only complaint was that my filet of beef tasted smoky, not my favorite taste. I should have listened more to the server's description of the dish. But it was such a long description that I missed the part that said it had a smoky flavor. The filet was perfectly cooked, and the frites were delicious. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his meal. I would avoid smoky dishes in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FunLovestheSoxDined on 9/10/2014The food is wonderful and service superb! We always always ALWAYS have a great time when we go. A Must Go To Experience for all diners.Special Features:
- AmazingtraditionalistDined on 9/10/2014We are early eaters so when we arrived for our 6:30P reservation, and were seated immediately, the bar was crowded but the dining room about half full. By 7:30P the dining room was packed which we thought was notable for a mid week evening.. Service throughout was excellent. Food was of ample quantity and delicious. An Italian style appetizer was nicely presented and was just what we wanted. I had the Rigatoni Bolognese and my wife had the Faroe Island Salmon. The Rigatoni was perfectly cooked and the lamb, pork, beef ragout was, at the risk of repeating myself, delicious. A very special place for very special dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Blue OxMinniesMomDined on 9/10/2014I found the Blue Ox food good. Not great. And if you factor in the extraordinarily high prices, probably on the low side of good. They were accomodating when we asked for the over loud music to be turned down, that was one plus. The tables are too close together, you can hear your neighbor's private conversations most easily. I am not sure I would rush back there any time soon. Here in this survey, you are asked about noise level. "Energetic" is the closest choice we are given. It was, however. obnoxiously loud when we arrived and even after we asked for the music to be turned down, it was still too loud.Special Features:
- Dawn was fabulous.LizzyLuuVIPDined on 9/6/2014I always enjoy myself at the Blue Ox. Food is outstanding and I love the experience. I must however mention that this time our server was exceptional. She made great recommendations, which we thoroughly enjoyed, was very friendly but did not hover. A restaurant can have great food but if the service is not there it can ruin an experience. Can't wait to return and have the oysters with Champagne vinegar - one of a few great recommendations by Dawn. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great family dinner!luvtheoxDined on 9/6/2014We dine here all the time but I have never written a review. Excellent food-always, consistent, we have a lot of favorites! my kids love it- If you go with children go early! Best crab cakes Ive ever had! Great salads, meat selections and yummy drinks!Special Features:
- His and hersDatenightDined on 9/6/2014My dinner was amazing. I got the pork tenderloin. For $22 it was beyond delicious! My husband got the bone in rib eye for $42. He said it was ok and that for a few dollars more he could've gone to Capital Grille for top of the line beef and the steak would've been phenomenal! Our server, Dawn, was awesome. I gave it a 3 because of the price of his steak and he was really unhappy w it. Again, mine was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.