The Blue Ox
191 Oxford Street
Lynn, MA 01901Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Ox
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theblueoxlynn.com/
- Phone: (781)780-5722 x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Bar: Opens Tuesday through Sunday at 4:00 to close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Matt O'Neil
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for a convenient North Shore location to host your next event? You'll see why The Blue Ox was voted "Best New Restaurant." Offering multiple private dining options, a professional staff, and delicious menu, The Blue Ox will exceed your expectations!
- Private Party Contact: Joanna ONeil 8772452019
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Public Transit: We are a short walk from the Lynn station of the MBTA Commuter Rail.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Blue Ox has expanded our parking options with a large, well-marked lot just steps from our front door offering free parking for all guests. There is also plenty of street parking available.
A word from The Blue Ox
The Blue Ox is a casual neighborhood restaurant that strives to be inviting, relaxing, and value-oriented. Our dining room and bar offers an approachable American style menu with a twist, warm and family-friendly décor, and exceptional service filled with personality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Blue Ox - Best Restaurants in Lynn ›
The Blue Ox reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (161)neighborhood gem (155)special occasion (99)hot spot (95)vibrant bar scene (93)good for groups (69)notable wine list (59)romantic (37)kid-friendly (29)late-night find (12)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Wonderful dinner... again!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our 3rd time here, and it hasn't disappointed us yet! The smoked filet special is out of this world, get it! I ordered the monkfish special, and do not regret it. So full of flavor, and the veggies underneath were the perfect balance to the meaty fish. Would definitely order again!Special Features:
- Delicious - again!att71Dined on 9/20/2014This was our 5th visit and did not disappoint! The oysters on the half shell were incredibly fresh. I had the roasted salmon which was delicious and a pretty generous portion. My husband had the hanger steak which was also very good. Overall, service was very professional though it took a bit to get our bill. We had a great table by the window, so the noise wasn't too much an issue, but certainly would have been further into the restaurant. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- ronnieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014everything was excellant from the service to the food good jobSpecial Features:
- noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014The Blue Ox's reputation proceeds it. I think because it's in Lynn, it get s a higher rating than if it was in Boston. I mean, it's Lynn , right? and it's a decent restaurant. The food is good, but pretty pricey , $42 for a steak ? The ambiance is OK, unless you are seated in the front room, then it feels like you are in a cafeteria. I'm referring to the very front tables, not the bar high top area. Even with a reservation, we were " stuck " in the front room. There is a brick lined room to the side, but we didn't have that choice. Too bad, then it might have been a better experience. Overall, It's good , but expensive and loud and crowded.Special Features:
- Blue OxOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014Had a great time and great food! Service was great as well. Have already recommended restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starscaraDined on 9/19/2014The absolute best restaurant in the area. Every aspect is great from the food, to the service, to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!!!Foodie14VIPDined on 9/18/2014Food is always amazing and the service is equally amazing! This restaurant has become one of my favs and we got at least twice a month. Great cocktails, delicious food, great service and great value. It is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistentandyDined on 9/14/2014we've been going to the "ox" since they opened and it's been consistently good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELISH!!!TracyDavidCrewDined on 9/14/2014Blue Ox is a (not so) hidden gem in Lynn! We just moved to the area and we have already been twice. This has already become "our" place for date nights for good food and a killer drink menu. Definitely try their oak barrel Manhattan, Pear Martini and Hot and Dirty Martini.... Just not all in one night. :-)Special Features:
- one of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014I found Blue Ox to be one of the best restaurants around. I try to go to decent restaurants that offer named food...this place was rewarding. Portions were large for the quality of food. Usually they skimp with the rich dishes, but these guys do not. Location is a little tricky but worth it. Close to downtown lynn, we parked in the eastern bank lot which was allowed. Good thing too. It looks little shady there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food--great service!CoriBDined on 9/12/2014I knew the service would be good from the moment I called to say I would be late due to traffic and that I understood if they couldn't hold my table. The receptionist said, "Don't worry; we'll make it work," and thanked me for calling. And when we arrived, we were promptly escorted to our table. Our server was very friendly and helpful; the great service he and other folks who tended our table provided really added to the quality of our experience. The food was fresh and delicious. The smokiness of my perfectly cooked filet mignon worked wonderfully with the port wine sauce. My husband devoured his crispy code over corn risotto. Drinks were tasty too. We plan on coming back to The Blue Ox!Special Features:
- Definitely worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014We live in Newburyport, MA and took the train to Lynn to dine at the Blue Ox. Our reservation was at 5:30 (so we would make the return train home). We thought the restaurant would be empty at that time. It was pleasantly filled with folks at the bar and in the dining area. It was nice to see families there also. The calamari was delicious. My only complaint was that my filet of beef tasted smoky, not my favorite taste. I should have listened more to the server's description of the dish. But it was such a long description that I missed the part that said it had a smoky flavor. The filet was perfectly cooked, and the frites were delicious. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his meal. I would avoid smoky dishes in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FunLovestheSoxDined on 9/10/2014The food is wonderful and service superb! We always always ALWAYS have a great time when we go. A Must Go To Experience for all diners.Special Features:
- AmazingtraditionalistDined on 9/10/2014We are early eaters so when we arrived for our 6:30P reservation, and were seated immediately, the bar was crowded but the dining room about half full. By 7:30P the dining room was packed which we thought was notable for a mid week evening.. Service throughout was excellent. Food was of ample quantity and delicious. An Italian style appetizer was nicely presented and was just what we wanted. I had the Rigatoni Bolognese and my wife had the Faroe Island Salmon. The Rigatoni was perfectly cooked and the lamb, pork, beef ragout was, at the risk of repeating myself, delicious. A very special place for very special dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Blue OxMinniesMomDined on 9/10/2014I found the Blue Ox food good. Not great. And if you factor in the extraordinarily high prices, probably on the low side of good. They were accomodating when we asked for the over loud music to be turned down, that was one plus. The tables are too close together, you can hear your neighbor's private conversations most easily. I am not sure I would rush back there any time soon. Here in this survey, you are asked about noise level. "Energetic" is the closest choice we are given. It was, however. obnoxiously loud when we arrived and even after we asked for the music to be turned down, it was still too loud.Special Features:
- Dawn was fabulous.LizzyLuuDined on 9/6/2014I always enjoy myself at the Blue Ox. Food is outstanding and I love the experience. I must however mention that this time our server was exceptional. She made great recommendations, which we thoroughly enjoyed, was very friendly but did not hover. A restaurant can have great food but if the service is not there it can ruin an experience. Can't wait to return and have the oysters with Champagne vinegar - one of a few great recommendations by Dawn. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great family dinner!luvtheoxDined on 9/6/2014We dine here all the time but I have never written a review. Excellent food-always, consistent, we have a lot of favorites! my kids love it- If you go with children go early! Best crab cakes Ive ever had! Great salads, meat selections and yummy drinks!Special Features:
- His and hersDatenightDined on 9/6/2014My dinner was amazing. I got the pork tenderloin. For $22 it was beyond delicious! My husband got the bone in rib eye for $42. He said it was ok and that for a few dollars more he could've gone to Capital Grille for top of the line beef and the steak would've been phenomenal! Our server, Dawn, was awesome. I gave it a 3 because of the price of his steak and he was really unhappy w it. Again, mine was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!EarlybirdDined on 9/5/2014We loved the food and had a wonderful dinner the only complaint was that we ordered a "special" and assumed that it would be around the same price as other menu items 10-29... We were very surprised that the special was $44 MUCH more than we anticipated. We feel the server should have told us the prices when she told us the specials... However the food was spectacular and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meal!RCPINESDined on 9/5/2014This has been our go to place for a great meal since they opened. They never disappoint, always a great meal and fantastic service. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodYoginiVIPDined on 9/4/2014Varied menu, excellent service, good for late night, vibrant bar scene. Grilled shrimp on the peach salad was delicious. Big shrimp perfectly seasoned and grilled. The gnocchi was very good and generous portion. The maple butter with the bread was superb. My spinach was much too salty, however the waiter said I could request it with less seasoning next time. Overall a very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/3/2014Very good we all enjoyed. Looking forward to our next visitI would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyDined on 8/31/2014The food was fabulous! Only complaint was it was quite noisy in the bar area. Would request a table in the dining room in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014As always very good!!!! Or I would say not good, but excellent!!!!Special Features:
- another lovely dinnerksgshmoopsVIPDined on 8/30/2014Love this place, it is the only one of its kind in Lynn! Nice cozy ambiance, great service, next time might try sitting at the big spacious bar. The crab cake is the best I have ever had! Whatever they dress their arugula in is amazing. Ordered the smoked filet (again) which was cooked perfectly and simply divine. The lobster scampi special was delicious, the fettuccine was al dente, lots of lobster, delicate sauce. Can't wait to go back! Oh yea, and their drink menu is like no other!Special Features:
- Great dining experiencelovelocaleatsDined on 8/30/2014The food and the service at The Blue Ox are exceptional. It's great to have such a wonderful neighborhood restaurant. The biggest issue was figuring out what to eat since everything on the menu sounded delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal, with 1 except.MikeCDined on 8/28/2014We went in last Thursday and had another great experience. Our friend visiting from NY always wants to go when she visits so we made sure to get a reservation. We got in early so had a drink at the bar. Our reservation was for 7:30, we checked back into the hostess area at 7:45 and our table was ready, they forgot to come get us, but no big deal. Upon sitting the waiter informed us that they were out of burgers (at 7:45 on a Thursday). I had been hankering for a Sin burger and a beer all day, not having one in a while. Oh well, next time. We split the Rib-Eye which was awesome and Mathew? (the waiter) and Charlie were great as usual! Charlie always makes it a great night for us!!Special Features:
- Fantastic!lynnsciDined on 8/28/2014Great staff, fantastic food and drinks in this is a really up and coming neighbourhood. We had the lobster special! We dined here before an Arts After Hours event. Great evening. You should check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, ServiceJanetDined on 8/23/2014I've had the pleasure of going to The Blue Ox, twice, with many more visits to come. Both times have been to celebrate Birthdays, one my own with family and most recently a friends. I recommend it for any occasion or for just for the pleasure and satisfaction of a great meal !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014Our 10th time dining with you and perhaps the best yet. Matthew does an amazing job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very salty preparationsAndyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Too much salt in food- really like the restaurant but feel bloated after from the saltSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeauVIPDined on 8/15/2014Consistently delivering quality food drink and service.Special Features:
- Not Great at allLaurelDined on 8/14/2014I had heard such great things! Had res for 2 at 7:15 & hostess sat couple with 7:30 res before us. We wated 30 mins for a table. Someone took drink order & someone else came to take food order. There was no organization at all. The waitstaff was...wierd. Don't know how else to describe it. Calamari and Tuna tar tar - wouldn't order again. Extremely fishy tasting like it was old or something. Chicken wing special was good. Just a strange experience over all. Won't be going back.
- Best Burger EVERdiningfriendsDined on 8/14/2014I had to try the "sin burger" seeing that I had not tried it yet and it was just awarded Best Burger by the Boston Magazine. The burger was amazing and very large! Their fries are also delicious. Everything was delivered timely and hot. Never disappointed when we dine at the Blue Ox.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Burger on North ShoreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014Try their Sin Burger! It's amazing, one of the best burgers I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemDiannaDined on 8/12/2014This restaurant is fantastic. The owner is also the chef. They have a fantastic menu and delicious food, utilizing local sources for ingredients. Drinks are different and incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointszgalVIPDined on 8/10/2014Our party of four enjoyed the pear and caesar salads and the specials of baked ricotta with zucchini flowers, fettuccine with lobster and ribeye. The grilled pork tenderloin was also a winner. Portions are ample and food quality outstanding. One of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible evening!DatenightsDined on 8/9/2014Went on a Saturday night at 8:00pm with just the husband. It was quite loud when we walked in, very lively and lots of action at the bar. We were seated at a great table for 2 by the front window, so thankfully, a little quiet spot. Service and wine were amazing and food was to DIE for! Husband's ribeye steak was, "the best steak I've ever had" and my entre and appetizer (stuffed baked Brie) were both heavenly. Can't wait to go back and would very highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deborah1019Dined on 8/9/2014what started out as a disaster ended up well. they were forty minutes late seating us; had no burgers left (!), brought me the wrong drink, and wouldn't give us extra chips because they were running out. but the manager saved the night...gave us free drinks, an extra appetizer, and great service for the rest of the evening. we come here a lot and would have hated not to be able to come back.Special Features:
- WilFDined on 8/8/2014As diverse and unique as Lynn is, I was surprised to see how un-diverse the Blue Ox was. In my opinion this isn't a true representation of the city of Lynn. In my experience eating at an establishment where the people are as interesting as the food makes for a great dinning experience.