The Blue Ox
191 Oxford Street
Lynn, MA 01901Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Ox
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theblueoxlynn.com/
- Phone: (781) 780-5722
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Bar: Opens Tuesday through Sunday at 4:00 to close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Matt O'Neil
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for a convenient North Shore location to host your next event? You'll see why The Blue Ox was voted "Best New Restaurant." Offering multiple private dining options, a professional staff, and delicious menu, The Blue Ox will exceed your expectations!
- Private Party Contact: Joanna ONeil 8772452019
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Public Transit: We are a short walk from the Lynn station of the MBTA Commuter Rail.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Blue Ox has expanded our parking options with a large, well-marked lot just steps from our front door offering free parking for all guests. There is also plenty of street parking available.
A word from The Blue Ox
The Blue Ox is a casual neighborhood restaurant that strives to be inviting, relaxing, and value-oriented. Our dining room and bar offers an approachable American style menu with a twist, warm and family-friendly décor, and exceptional service filled with personality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Blue Ox - Best Restaurants in Lynn ›
The Blue Ox reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (196)neighborhood gem (179)hot spot (127)special occasion (113)vibrant bar scene (108)notable wine list (77)good for groups (74)romantic (49)kid-friendly (28)late-night find (17)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/26/2014The Blue Ox never disappoints. We always have a wonderful meal and a wonderful time. What a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceLuckygirlDined on 11/22/2014Had such a wonderful meal; everything was perfect! Tried the pumpkin ravioli and highly recommend trying them, they were so flavorful & baby sprouts were crazy good. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty menu!tinykDined on 11/22/2014I'm not a burger person but if I were, I'd come here to have them all the time. The fries are seasoned with fresh rosemary and some other herbs. Delicious! The fried calamari was light, fresh and tender. Lobster tacos also very good but I'm not a fan of flour tortillas. The beer selection is also terrific and we enjoyed outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great music, service, food and atmosphereAllyourbaseDined on 11/21/2014The menu items are modern takes on familiar flavors: I had a 14oz ribeye on a bed of mashed potatoes with chives and grilled asparagus. The steak was cooked perfectly (medium rare) and the flavors were well-balanced. While this may sound like ingredients a home cooked meal that your mom would make, this was an exquisitely prepared and presented dish with culinary skill. I can't wait to go back and explore the menu further.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Found my new favorite restaurant!!!!! The food was outstanding, the portions extremely generous and the leftovers were great the next day!! So wish I could remember our waitress' name as she was elegant in appearance and service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Ox is Great!BeerManDined on 11/19/2014My friends and I went to the Blue Ox for dinner before the Steve Hackett show at Lynn Auditorium. We had a great meal. I had salmon in a nice tomato sauce with Mediterranean spices. It was really yummy. We all had beer from the good selection of craft beers on tap. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's birthday nightJoeDevDined on 11/15/2014I have been here a couple time before. The food as always was very good. The service was good however we did feel a little rushed. We were dining late 8:30, but not so late that things should have been pushed along. All in all a good experience and we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss the tuna tartareKHQ333Dined on 11/15/2014We were lucky enough to score a 7:30p reservation this past Saturday night. We arrived early (it's a curse), were greeted warmly and told that we'd be seated closer to our reservation time. The restaurant was packed with diners so we maneuvered to a spot near the bar to wait it out. The bartender offered us drink menus and we ordered a North Country Old Fashioned and Gina's Killer Margarita. Both were delicious! We were seated right on time and started reading through the menu. We knew we wanted the tuna tartare and heard that hot wings were on special so we ordered one of each. The wings were delicious but the tartare was a showstopper. We figuratively scrambled to see who would get the last perfect bite of it. We ordered another special for dinner (a ribeye) and the herb roasted boneless 1/2 chicken. Both were absolutely delicious. Half of the chicken ended up coming home with us because I was too stuffed with apps but it reheated very well on Sunday. We took an order of sticky toffee pudding home (what a great idea) and hoping to get back to the Blue Ox soon for another great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants on the North ShoreOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/14/2014Matt's food is always spot on. Sin Burger is perfection. Wings appetizer special was amazing. And despite it being a very busy Friday night, the service was also excellent - extremely attentive, friendly, and accommodating to special requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeTPK2020Dined on 11/13/2014This was our first time dining at Blue Ox. It was early on a Thursday night and the bar side was packed with many after work people. It was great to see any restaurant that busy mid-week. The wait staff and food were excellent. The menu had a nice range of selections, without being over whelming. All in all a very positive experience and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the ox!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/12/2014I look forward to dining at the ox. The food and service can't be beat and the specials are always great which keeps things interesting . Drinks are top notch as well. kudos to chef Matt O'Neil, what a talent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014only complaint would be that the kids meal does not come with a milk only a soda? who gives their 5, 8 and 11 year olds cokes with dinner???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the BESTAnCaladh8VIPDined on 11/11/2014Another date night at TBO, and once again, the whole experience was outstanding. The biggest challenge: We're getting stuck in a rut, but what a terrific rut to be in!Special Features:
- 1st time at the Blue OxRaoulDined on 11/9/2014Been wanting to go here for a long time. It did not disappoint at any level. Tried a "Weird Wine" that was different than I would normally order but and was fun and tasty. My wife had the clam chowder that had a nice smoky bacon flavor ... It was great .I had rhe pear and goat cheese salad which was tasty at every level. We both had the smoked filet with port wine reduction "fantastic".I can't wait to go back . I grew up on Pine Hill in Lynn so for me it was a trip home and well worth it.Special Features:
- Once again, excellent food, service.MustgoRestaurantDined on 11/9/2014This is a must go restaurant. You will be pleased everytime. Just so sorry they took the steak special off the menu. Please put it back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014We were a party of three for an 8P.M reservation. We went to the very crowded noisy bar and waited to be seated. Our wait ended up to be 45minutes. However the management was very apologetic approaching us several times during our wait. We were offered a round of drinks and upon arrival to our table received a delicious appetizer. This made our evening less stressful, and that our business counted. Our meals arrived in a timely manner and were excellent. I ordered a roasted chicken which was steaming hot and comforting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALRoDined on 11/8/2014We always have a great meal at the ox. Our server, Dawn, was just greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatjmgbostonDined on 11/7/2014Best restaurant, hands down, in the Marblehead, Swampscott, Salem, Lynn area. I order something different every time I go, and am never disappointed. My spouse orders the same thing every time because it has become a craving. The chef does something magic with vegetables; half the time I don't even know what vegetable I'm eating because they're outside of the regular things you typically bring home for dinner, and they're always awesome. My only complaint about this place is the noise level; but there isn't much to be done about that, when everyone wants to go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Ox always the best.Iditerod14Dined on 11/7/2014The Blue Ox always delivers with creative and amazing entrees. There staff slways makes you feel special as well as being very attentive and friendly. It is the best on the North Shore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAndrewGDined on 11/7/2014The restaurant is beautifully laid out across two rooms with a buzzing bar tucked in the back. Excellent food. I had calamari, pear salad and THE SINBURGER all of which were excellent. The burger itself is out of this world and requires your full attention. The front desk staff, bar staff, wait staff were all attentive, friendly and clearly knew their jobs. Nice touch to meet the manager. I recently had several bad restaurant experiences and just wish they could all come and see how you do it...Special Features:
- location location locationNancyADined on 11/6/2014Proof that that adage does not apply to this wonderful establishment in the heart of Lynn! Well worth the trip (parking available) to enjoy some interesting and delicious food. Large portions and excellent food.Special Features:
- Cannot get enough of this place!Foodie14VIPDined on 11/4/2014My husband and I absolutely love this restaurant and rave about it to everyone! The food is outstanding, great drinks, and fantastic service...what else can you ask for?! Every time we dine here we have a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly DisappointedtheshakespearesDined on 11/2/2014The Blue OX seemed so renowned, I expected much more of an ambiance. The place was small, so small that a 3rd appetizer size plate on the table make it impossible to not spill or knock things over. The place was very noisy, We had to ask to be moved. The server was extremely attentive but borderline annoying as she kept interrupting our meal and conversation. The prices were outrageous. The meat came out under-cooked and needed to be sent back, cam out of the kitchen 15min later with nothing but an apology.Special Features:
- Great local findMorte4Dined on 11/2/2014I never knew Lynn had a fine dining option that can compete with any I've ever had. A chef who focuses on local ingredients, servers who know those ingredients and can make knowledgable recommendations, and a very extensive wine list. Great find. Thanks to Google and Open Table for the lead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/2/2014Food always well prepared and service if friendly and well timed.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Highly recommended, food was mouth watering and service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The food was excellent - I had pork tenderloin ... the serving was so large, I took most of it home and it was just as good the following day! The crabcake appetizer was also excellent!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/31/2014Excellent quality of food! Excellent wait staff! Worth every cent!Special Features:
- Less drive to BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/31/2014We live in the North Shore and have been driving down to Boston for good food except for Italian near by. Now we have another restaurant we can come to which is just a short drive, after living here for more then 4 years. We loved that they have good choices for their daily specials. Just plain menu day after day is no fun. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Blueox2Dined on 10/29/2014The food and service here is consistently outstanding. Matt and Joanna O'Neil are a fantastic team serving the greater North Shore.Special Features:
- deborah1019Dined on 10/25/2014The Blue Ox is a reliable, better than average restaurant in a downtrodden inner-city location. The service is always professional and the food is delicious, though they could use a change in their menu more often. Tuna tartare is to die for, as are their hamburgers and their home-made potato chips. We go there often and are never disappointed.Special Features:
- not a good experienceHerdinessDined on 10/25/2014I was disappointed with our anniversary meal on Saturday night. The bolognese was over-garliced and my wife got the rib-eye instead of the filet. An even though we got the filet price for the $43 rib-eye it just wasn't worth it. The steak special wasn't very tasty and had chewy strings of fat running through it. And on top of that, we were seated at this little 2 seat table floating out in the middle of server traffic. Not very comfortable. Not at all what I expect when I'm spending over $150 for two for dinner. I've had better experiences at the Blue Ox, served by Holly. Never again, I'm afraid.Special Features:
- Great place...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The staff are all really friendly and welcoming. The food was amazingly awesome, everyone in my group were all extremely happy with what they had ordered. It is definitely a place I will be visiting again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodhotpepperDined on 10/24/2014Food was excellent, we had reservation for 6:30, we were not seated until 7:00; this was a disappointment as we had tickets to a show around the corner at 8:00. Although we informed the server we had a show to go to at 8:00 around the corner the service was not as prompt as it could have been. We were told it was not big deal if we missed the opening act, another disappointment. Will be sure to make earlier reservations in the future. We will go back, the food was fantastic!Special Features:
- Super Busy For a ShowMrsMichaelVIPDined on 10/24/2014We went before seeing a show at city hall. It was super busy, there was even a waiting list to sit at the bar. But they sat us on time and we were out before the show so they know what they are doing. The food was wonderful, the wait staff a little harried, but that's because almost everyone in the restaurant needed be out at the same time.Special Features:
- horrendous experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014We made reservations for 6:30pm for 4 people to dine here before an 8pm Natalie Cole concert at the Lynn auditorium. We arrived at 6:15 that evening and was told by Joanna, the hostess we would be seated closer to our reservaton time. We were directed to the bar. The place was packed, there no room at the bar. We were not told by the hostess what the issue was, we finally inquired at 7:00 and was told they were doing the best the could...really !!! Finally at 7:15 the manager apologized and offered us drinks. He told us the table would be ready shortly. We were finally seated at 7:30. Although the meal was comped, I would never go back.
- I love OXcosmo4meDined on 10/24/2014The Blue Ox has become my absolute favorite restaurant. The food, the atmosphere, the wine and the service are always excellent. The smoked steaks are out of this world.Special Features:
- Blue Ox 5:30p, Natalie cole 8p.m.TomatoDined on 10/24/2014We arrived at 5:30, the restaurant was half full, the bar was already full, they open at 5. First, let me say that Our waitress was terrific, her service was 1st class. We ordered appetizers while we decided on entrees. After a while, she came back for our dinner orders and explained that they don't lace the order until it is complete(apps and entree). So, this held up the apps and the place was filling up. Our meals were delicious and presentation was superb. The busboy and gen. Manager stopped by to make sure we were happy. We ordered ice cream and drinks. The manager asked if we would have our drinks at the bar(complimentary). We agreed, but learned we were expected to stand at a crowded bar. No thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectNJF84Dined on 10/23/2014My husband and I love going to The Blue Ox for date night !! The hostesses, waitstaff, bartenders and management are always so nice and make the dining experience a pleasurable one !! There is always a great selection of specialty drinks and outstanding daily specials . The food is amazing and we never leave disappointed !! We are always so full and happy at the end of our visit to The Blue Ox !! I highly recommend this hidden gem of a restaraunt to anyone looking for a great night out !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slipping a little?northshoreguyDined on 10/23/2014Food was very good, but service seems to have slipped a bit, still good but not very good, as it has been in the past. Server was not very attentive. Seating a party of three at a table for six was a bit weird feeling, when other options were available, especially since the table was made up of three small tables anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.