The Blue Ox
191 Oxford Street
Lynn, MA 01901Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Ox
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theblueoxlynn.com/
- Phone: (781)780-5722 x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Bar: Opens Tuesday through Sunday at 4:00 to close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Matt O'Neil
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for a convenient North Shore location to host your next event? You'll see why The Blue Ox was voted "Best New Restaurant." Offering multiple private dining options, a professional staff, and delicious menu, The Blue Ox will exceed your expectations!
- Private Party Contact: Joanna ONeil 8772452019
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Public Transit: We are a short walk from the Lynn station of the MBTA Commuter Rail.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Blue Ox has expanded our parking options with a large, well-marked lot just steps from our front door offering free parking for all guests. There is also plenty of street parking available.
A word from The Blue Ox
The Blue Ox is a casual neighborhood restaurant that strives to be inviting, relaxing, and value-oriented. Our dining room and bar offers an approachable American style menu with a twist, warm and family-friendly décor, and exceptional service filled with personality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Blue Ox - Best Restaurants in Lynn ›
The Blue Ox reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (144)neighborhood gem (136)special occasion (97)hot spot (87)vibrant bar scene (87)good for groups (58)notable wine list (58)romantic (39)kid-friendly (25)late-night find (11)great for lunch (6)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Food, ServiceJanetDined on 8/23/2014I've had the pleasure of going to The Blue Ox, twice, with many more visits to come. Both times have been to celebrate Birthdays, one my own with family and most recently a friends. I recommend it for any occasion or for just for the pleasure and satisfaction of a great meal !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014Our 10th time dining with you and perhaps the best yet. Matthew does an amazing job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very salty preparationsAndyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Too much salt in food- really like the restaurant but feel bloated after from the saltSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeauVIPDined on 8/15/2014Consistently delivering quality food drink and service.Special Features:
- Not Great at allLaurelDined on 8/14/2014I had heard such great things! Had res for 2 at 7:15 & hostess sat couple with 7:30 res before us. We wated 30 mins for a table. Someone took drink order & someone else came to take food order. There was no organization at all. The waitstaff was...wierd. Don't know how else to describe it. Calamari and Tuna tar tar - wouldn't order again. Extremely fishy tasting like it was old or something. Chicken wing special was good. Just a strange experience over all. Won't be going back.
- Best Burger EVERdiningfriendsDined on 8/14/2014I had to try the "sin burger" seeing that I had not tried it yet and it was just awarded Best Burger by the Boston Magazine. The burger was amazing and very large! Their fries are also delicious. Everything was delivered timely and hot. Never disappointed when we dine at the Blue Ox.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Burger on North ShoreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014Try their Sin Burger! It's amazing, one of the best burgers I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemDiannaDined on 8/12/2014This restaurant is fantastic. The owner is also the chef. They have a fantastic menu and delicious food, utilizing local sources for ingredients. Drinks are different and incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointszgalVIPDined on 8/10/2014Our party of four enjoyed the pear and caesar salads and the specials of baked ricotta with zucchini flowers, fettuccine with lobster and ribeye. The grilled pork tenderloin was also a winner. Portions are ample and food quality outstanding. One of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible evening!DatenightsDined on 8/9/2014Went on a Saturday night at 8:00pm with just the husband. It was quite loud when we walked in, very lively and lots of action at the bar. We were seated at a great table for 2 by the front window, so thankfully, a little quiet spot. Service and wine were amazing and food was to DIE for! Husband's ribeye steak was, "the best steak I've ever had" and my entre and appetizer (stuffed baked Brie) were both heavenly. Can't wait to go back and would very highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deborah1019Dined on 8/9/2014what started out as a disaster ended up well. they were forty minutes late seating us; had no burgers left (!), brought me the wrong drink, and wouldn't give us extra chips because they were running out. but the manager saved the night...gave us free drinks, an extra appetizer, and great service for the rest of the evening. we come here a lot and would have hated not to be able to come back.Special Features:
- WilFDined on 8/8/2014As diverse and unique as Lynn is, I was surprised to see how un-diverse the Blue Ox was. In my opinion this isn't a true representation of the city of Lynn. In my experience eating at an establishment where the people are as interesting as the food makes for a great dinning experience.
- A Gem in LynnLoveGoodFoodDined on 8/8/2014From the time we entered to when we left the staff were engaging, professional, informative. They complement the food, which is a foodies delight. While the published menu is basic, the specials will engage you. Each course was a composition where each ingredient had a purpose. If you like bourbon or single malts then the house smoked bourbon is an absolute must.Special Features:
- Still Among the Best on North ShoreA1NorthShoreDined on 8/8/2014I have been to Blue Ox many times, and they never disappoint. In addition to great food, their cocktails are something special. This time I went with a foodie friend from out of town, and he was very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place !!RJT33Dined on 8/5/2014A place you can count on for amazing food, even better service and a comfortable feel every time. Were hooked !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!KTandfamilyDined on 8/2/2014Husband and I went with another couple and had a fantastic meal. The only problem...very slow kitchen. Can't blame our server b/c he was extremely attentive but clearly the kitchen was overwhelmed. Still, the food was amazing and I would go back.Special Features:
- Amazing!LuckygirlDined on 8/2/2014We had another amazing dinner at The Blue Ox with nothing but exceptional food & service. Finally tried the lobster tacos and they did not disappoint! Also made sure we saved room for sticky toffee pudding which is a family favorite, absolutely delicious as always. Already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- exceklent per usualKristen7212Dined on 8/1/2014I have eaten at the Blue Ox so many times I cant even keep track.. I have always had top notch service as well as amazing food. Never a disappointment and I especially love bringibg new people there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerBrandonDined on 8/1/2014Sat in the bar area for dinner the other night and as always, great service and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timePATETVIPDined on 7/30/2014We have always wanted to try this establishment. Wish we had tried it sooner! The food was fantastic- owner/chef puts out some quality food with portions large enough to fill any foodies belly! The General Manager was very knowledgeable and knew the wines! Cannot go wrong here!! Will be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ReviewBetzDined on 7/30/2014The food was exquisite. But it was so noisy that we had to yell to hear each other. I don't know if I'd go back.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerStaceyMTDined on 7/29/2014A group of 5 friends gathered for dinner at The Blue Ox. The menu options were terrific. It was hard to make a final selection. Our group ordered a few appetizers to share and then individual entrees. The food was delicious everything enjoyed their meals. We all would highly recommend The Blue Ox.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SSBDDined on 7/29/2014Waitress very accommodating since one of our party "forgot' we were meeting and arrived very late. She was very knowledgeable about preparation of dishes and did not have to "go check" on any questions. Did not feel rushed, Comfortable setting, low key. Have been several times - someone always orders the chicken and I then wish I had - probably best dish on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We're a regular and love it. However, very disappointed that for a 7PM rezy, you were already out of the seafood special (swordfish)Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/23/2014The blue ox is by far the BEST restaurant on the north shore! Chef Matt O'Neil is amazing with his creativity and the food quality is top notch! The staff is first rate as well - love dining here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mihcelin-star quality all aroundEdikVIPDined on 7/22/2014fantastic all around - food, decor, amazing eclectic wine list - bravo!Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014I read a review about the blue ox and asked around and everyone that had been there recommended it. We had guests from out of town and went there on a Saturday night with a reservation for 6 at 8. We were seated right on time and had a great meal. It is a bit loud which would be the only down side. Other than that, everyone enjoyed their meal and we had everything from fish to pork and even a pasta dish. The chef did a great job, I would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- surprise in lynnksgshmoopsVIPDined on 7/19/2014When I think of Lynn, I don't necessarily think of fine dining, but this place has changed my mind! The smoked filet special was awesome, never had a smoked filet before and now I want it every time. Drinks were delicious and strong. The boys bolognaise was ok, but cooked perfectly. Will be back soon, the menu is great, wanted to try it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time at the OxdapperdaveDined on 7/19/2014This is our go-to place for special occasions and it's always great. This visit was with friends to celebrate my retirement and we really enjoyed ourselves--highly recommended.Special Features:
- excellentcapa7Dined on 7/18/2014Food was absolutely delicious. Best tuna I have ever had and I have had it at a lot of restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will return.mrtlsisDined on 7/17/2014What a pleasant surprise! We go out with my sister and her husband every few months and love to try different places. We all agreed that the food was excellent, the service exceptional - the only drawback was that it was a bit noisy. We will be back to try other dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Food and service were great; I also appreciated complementary parking nearby As it was a neighborhood that was not familiar to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodPhilVIPDined on 7/17/2014What I would expect if I were dining out. Good service and good food. I would not place the Blue Ox on my go to list as a favorite, but not bad.Special Features:
- Best Crab Cakes Ever!BeverlyDined on 7/16/2014The tarragon aioli was amazing. Together the crab cakes and the aioli were over the top! A great place for foodies to enjoy innovative dishes prepared with many locally sourced ingredients, and a cool waiter who knowledgeable about local sources.Special Features:
- excellentcohoDined on 7/16/2014Second time at Blue Ox and it keeps getting better. Love the hand made cocktails and smoked steaks. Service is excellent. Wish I lived closerSpecial Features:
- UnsanitaryMustbecleanDined on 7/15/2014During our dining experience all four members of our party ordered the sin burger. All of us subsequent ally became ill that evening, which was believed to be from outdated or poor quality meat. I would not recommend this to anyone.
- RonFDined on 7/15/2014The tuna tartar was wonderful, as usual. I could have stopped there, but moved on to the salmon, which I would order again. The wife had the filet, which she raved about. The service was great, and they were helpful in having us move to the quieter back dining room. The front room with the bar is too loud for our taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ddb6Dined on 7/13/2014Food and service were great. It was my sister's 5oth birthday, our waitress made it very special for her. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night at The Blue OxOceanfineDined on 7/12/2014This is the 2rd time my husband and I have been to The Blue Ox in Lynn, MA and we had another outstanding night there. The food was not only good but presented with imagination. The beer and wine were outstanding. It's best to get a reservation, especially on a weekend night because there's always a line out the door just before the restaurant opens at 4 p.m. And people come from all over because of the wonderful reputation The Blue Ox has. It makes me proud to see a restaurant doing as well as this one in my old hometown.Special Features:
- ExcellentMarcDined on 7/11/2014The service and food was excellent. My wife and I have been going to the Blue Ox for years now and they continue to exceed expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.