The Blue Grotto Restaurant
210 Atwells Ave.
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Grotto Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluegrottorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4012729030
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Tailored to fit your needs, we can offer anything from an office lunch to dinner events.
- Private Party Facilities: With private rooms from 6 to 130 guests, Blue Grotto can accommodate functions of any kind.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Danahy 4012729030
- Special Events: 2013 Waterfire Vendor
A word from The Blue Grotto Restaurant
Visit one of the oldest and most well known Italian restaurants in all of Rhode Island. Located on Historic Federal Hill, The Blue Grotto has continued to provide exemplary traditional Italian cuisine throughout it's 30 year history. In an upscale, but casual environment, The Blue Grotto offers attentive service in a relaxed setting. The wine list is one of the best Providence has to offer. Classic Italian ... Modern InterpretationContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Blue Grotto Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (8)romantic (7)fit for foodies (4)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (3)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Love themSharkDined on 6/18/2014Too bad they closed suddenly the day after I went!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place, but was thrilling.jasonDined on 6/14/2014Enjoyed the place, but I was setved burnt food. Didnt even eat half my food, and was still charged and meal not replaced. This was a chicken plate and I was very disappointed with the quality of the food. And we were the only people eating here.Special Features:
- DuckylouDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I had a Groupon and decided to try Blue Grotto while visiting Providence for WaterFire. We had a reservation and were seated by the kitchen, even though there were numerous open tables at 6 PM. Our waiter provided minimal service and the food was average. We didn't get our water glasses refilled and were checked on once by the waiter during our entire meal. We were disappointed by this experience, since we had heard many positive things about the restaurant from friends. I don't think we will be returning to Blue Grotto.Special Features:
- SandyHDined on 6/12/2014We celebrated our anniversary at The BLue Grotto. The service was excellent. We both had sirloin steaks topped with grilled shrimp and oven roasted potatoes. John our server was very attentive, and did a great job. The espresso martini's were wonderful, and so was the TiramisuSpecial Features:
- Date nightJJChabotDined on 6/12/2014Got a Groupon and went with my wife on a Thursday night for dinner. We've been to many restaurants on Federal Hill and this one is now one of our favorites. Food was fantastic. Portions were more then adequate and prices were moderate. Service was exceptional. Restaurant was clean and inviting. Complimentary valet parking a big plus. Other nearby restaurants charged up to $12.00. We can't wait to go back. Saw a cute private room that seats 8, so we will be bringing friends.Special Features:
- DisappointedLiza27VIPDined on 6/8/2014You'd think an Italian restaurant in the Federal Hill Section of Providence would have a good mozzarella - I've had better cheese from Stop & Shop than what was in their caprese salad, and the tomatoes were mush. Rest of meal was fair.
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2014If you enjoy great food and service you will not be disappointed. We had a wonderful meal. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must go to restaurantprotondoVIPDined on 6/7/2014Great food, great service, veal chop was unbelievable, flights of wine were excellent pairings. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old Gem that needs some helpAlCzervikVIPDined on 6/6/2014Went to the Blue Grotto with a party of four. Had not been there in quite some time but was hoping for some of the good food and service they were known for in the past. Unfortunately, as soon as we walked in you could tell the old atmosphere was gone and the place looked like someone was just running it until they could get the last dollar out of it before closing (major rehab needed). It was not dirty or any major issues just worn and dated. Service was just ok and the food was decent but nothing special. Hopefully someone can put some life and passion back into a formerly nice restaurant.
- The following 835 reviews are from the The Blue Grotto Restaurant reviews archive.
- UnimpressedDiningIsEntertainmentDined on 5/31/2014Goods: Caprese salad, swordfish, creme brule, warm bread with pesto. Not so good: Risotto Golfo - Rice mixture was not creamy, not tasty. Clams were tiny with no flavor. Have never seen such small shellfish in a dinner dish. Mussels were ok. Bay scallops (the small ones) had no flavor. Shrimp (generously, there were 5, and they were a good size) were just ok, lacked flavor. The amount of food was generous, but overall, this dish was ok at best, but cost at least $24 (don't remember exact price). Also, glass of house chardonnay cost $12. Too much, IMO, for a house wine. Service was average. Atmosphere was nice, and our table and surroundings were clean and attractive.
- Lovely old time favorite, charming!good4noraDined on 5/31/2014Our experience at the Blue Grotto was early on a Saturday afternoon....so it was very quiet.....which was nice. This restaurant is made for slow dining which is a nice experience given all the restaurants that push you though fast. Our service was wonderful ....our food was all wonderful except the scampi.....the shrimp was over cooked and the arugula just doesn't belong in shrimp scampi also the noodles weren't cooked right they were stuck together....I have had scampi in this restaurant before and it was done beautifully you should really consider cooking it the way you used to.....and as far as the desserts they were wonderful except the coconut cake it was dry and tasteless. I love the Blue Grotto and will be going there again ..Special Features:
- Great place!pvdReviewerDined on 5/28/2014My fiancée and I had a great time at the Blue Grotto - great service, good wine list, and of course great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old ItalianSouthernLadyVIPDined on 5/25/2014Although not a bad choice, Blue Grotto is not up to the standards of its neighbors on Federal Hill. The menu is more limited and there was a aftertaste of grease to a veal dish I ordered. A fish dish ordered by my companion was a better choice. The salad was nice but nothing special. Maybe I was just turned off by the décor, which may have been new but was made to look old and still seemed to need a makeover.
- Awful service. Never going backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014We were looking forward to a nice dinner in Federal Hill, and the menu looked nice, the prices reasonable. We enjoyed our salads and appetizers, but waited (and waited) for our main courses. Finally, after we hadn't seen her for several minutes, I asked a staff person to check on our order. Out of nowhere, the manager came over and said she'd overheard us (it had been 35 minutes waiting for it at this point) and she said there had been a problem with the ticket and one of the orders hadn't been put in. She then proceeded to blame our waitress and did not take responsibility. We said we had to go, asked for the bill. Our waitress brought it, did not do anything to explain. No one took responsibility. It was terrible. A huge fail.
- Nice and RelaxingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2014We went on a Tuesday night, so it was very quiet. I have been here before on a weekend night, and it does get a little noisy. especially if the bar fills up. The food was very good and just the right size portions. However , it is pricey so be prepared to spend some $$$.Special Features:
- notafoodieDined on 5/12/2014Too many other restaurants on Federal Hill to choose from. We were there in May 12, 2014. We went at 6:30. There was only one other table of guests. Wait staff took forever to even acknowledge us after we were seated. Food was blah. One of us had salmon and asparagus. I had gnocchi. Food was nothing special and not very tasty. We just had to laugh because only one other guest came in during our 2 hours there. Not a good sign.
- Mothers Day at the GrottogranitiirDined on 5/11/2014It was a special Mother's Day event with my wife, my soon to be a mother daughter and her husband. The service was great and the food was very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchBrunchDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day brunch. The choices for entrees were all very different and interesting. It was nice having access to the buffet in additional to the entree. I wouldve liked to see something special added for Mothers' Day such as fresh flowers or complimentary mimosa or something special for moms. It was just like going out for regular brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2014The food was alright, not all that flavorful. The service was really slow. It took us an hour to get our food, and the waiters made minimal to no contact with us. No one asked how the food was. I expected more.Special Features:
- SavannahMoeCDined on 5/10/2014We came to the Blue Grotto for the first time to celebrate my wife's birthday. The food was quite good. My chicken parmesan was delicious. My wife's cod was tasty, if a bit bland. The portion was a little small compared to the chicken dish. Savannah, our server, was the delight of the evening. She was attentive without being intrusive. Her suggestions were "right on" especially her wine ideas. We will return.Special Features:
- BlueGrayAtwellsReviewerDined on 5/4/2014Overall it was good but not the best of Atwells Avenue. They were out of several menu items. The server was great however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014Seating was in a nice private location for my husband and I to enjoy dinner and each other's company. Food was good but would have liked a little more flavor. A bit pricey but overall was a lovely dinner. Would have been nice to have music playing in the background.Special Features:
- Delicious!21atwellsDined on 5/2/2014from the calamari to the angel hair pasta with shrimp and lobster. Best meal I've had in awhile!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian on the HillDBenderDined on 4/28/2014I had a Groupon deal for this restaurant. I thought $49 for 2 full dinners and 2 glasses of wine was a great deal. Little did I know just what a good deal it was! The meal would have come to over $100 without the Groupon. And honestly it would have been worth the $100 for my husband and I to eat in such a nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Dated, dirty, dull menu, dreadful food! Did like the wine flight.
- Providence diningfog4Dined on 4/22/2014Went to BG on a recommendation of a co-worker and Providence resident. Not disappointed. We had various seafood apps and entrees. Only minor issue is the Cesar salad - just not up to what we expected. Thinking it was pre-made and stored in the fridge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food$$$$$dinnerDined on 4/5/2014Good food and service but very expensive. Have been there a few times but only with a GrouponSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2014The waiter was able to have them prepare Chicken Marsala that was not on the menu. Then he was able to have them re-sauté my entire because I had to quick leave and come back. It was such a great experience and the food was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Atmosphere LackingDanHDined on 3/29/2014Had the Pear Salad, and the Seafood Risotto. Food was great. We were never offered any bread while waiting for our meal. The room was a bit cold. Our entrees came almost an hour after the salad. It would have been nicer if there were a candle on the table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJerryriDined on 3/29/2014The food was excellent. Service was above average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectgoodeatsDined on 3/28/2014My boyfriend and I loved blue grotto. It was our first time and James,our server,was very knowledgable and informative . He brought me several tastes of wine before i decided on a bottle. We started with calamari,i had the filet w/polenta cakes,and my boyfriend enjoyed the lobster and shrimp scampi. Everything was perfect. For dessert we had gorgonzola cheesecake,it was heaven. We cant wait to return and try the pastachio encrusted scallops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gratzie!SnoopyjoeDined on 3/8/2014Wonderful evening at a local renowned eaterie. Great food and menu, cooked to perfection. Nice attentive wait staff and hostesses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOODChuckieDined on 3/8/2014We had a great time here. We went on Saturday, March 8. Our waitress was very professional, and knowledgeable. She recommended the pistachio-crusted scallops, which I tried, and am very glad I did. Delicious! My wife had he gnocchi, which she also enjoyed. Desserts were also very good. All in all, a great experience.Special Features:
- We went for lunch. Food wasnomdecenaVIPDined on 3/8/2014We went for lunch. Food was excellent, particularly chicken parmesan. One of us has dining restrictions and kitchen accommodated gluten and dairy free request. Waiter Billy was excellent.Special Features:
- CioppinoannonymousDined on 3/6/2014Cioppino was great as usual! Great price for this dish - so muchfood that you have leftovers for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014The food and service was excellent! Had a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blanditalianfoodieDined on 3/1/2014the menu looked incredible, but the food did not deliver. The salad was cheaply done and the food was bland. I got the seafood pesto risotto. the pesto was not flavorful enough, it definitely seemed they were trying to be cheap by using different ingredients - cashews instead of pine nuts. the seafood in the dish was not good. the shrimp, mussels, clams, and scallops were small, chewy, and not flavorful. my boyfriend got the spaghetti alle vongole. the sauce was good, but the clams were the same as my dish, small and bland. we were not able to have wine that night, but the wine list and cellar looked very impressive. i will not be going back.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014Waitress was very helpful and friendly. Food was delicious. Especially loved the veggie lasagna. We went on a Saturday for an early dinner before a play and we never felt rushed, even as the place was filling up. We had a groupon which was great, but we will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but pricesDinerDined on 2/27/2014Food was great but prices might prevent future visitsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overall, but a bit mixedRickDined on 2/23/2014The setting was very pleasant and our server was superb. The ravioli was outstanding, the salmon was mediocre. We were very surprised no bread was served. The portions were quite modest given the entree prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.