The Blue Fish - Washington
5830 Washington, Suite 100
Houston, TX 77007Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
The Blue Fish - Washington
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebluefishsushi.com/
- Phone: 7138623474x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from The Blue Fish - Washington
The Blue Fish features the freshest premium selections of sushi and sashimi, along with spectacular signature rolls and hot food dishes. We also boast a variety of sake, beer, wine and spirit selections to complete the dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Blue Fish - Washington - Best Restaurants in Heights / Washington ›
The Blue Fish - Washington reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (14)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (11)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (7)great for lunch (5)romantic (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food!R1516Dined on 9/9/2014Their service is great, food is excellent and we are always pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Quality & CreativityDinerHLMVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is one of my favorite sushi restaurants in Houston! The quality and freshness of the fish is superb, and there are many creative rolls with raw fish. The service was spot on, and the manager checked on the tables about mid-meal. The pan seared crab potstickers were awesome! We also tried the 4 pieces of snapper sushi for the price of 2 special. The snapper was fresh and a generous portion. We ordered 3 rolls to share, and they were all fantastic! The Samurai was very subtle but zesty. The Pinata was spicy with tons of flavor and a great combo of fish and shrimp. The Rainforest was spicy and another great combo of flavors. Happy Tastebuds! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two visits very different experiencDaveVIPDined on 9/5/2014We have eaten at Blue Fish twice. The atmosphere is fun and they have a good bar. Our first visit was on a Saturday night, it was busy but not too crowded. Everything was awesome, with excellent service and food. Second time was on a Friday night and was very disappointing. It was very crowded, which could explain everything. Service was just okay and it took forever to get drinks. The food was mediocre too. Perhaps the kitchen was overwhelmed. We didn't finish our dinners. No need to add the calories for "just ok." Everyone was nice in the end and tried to make things better but it was too late. Too bad, because we really thought this would become a favorite after our first visit. Not sure if we will go back now.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC, Best Sushi in HoustonJorLamarDined on 6/27/2014This is the most incredible sushi I have ever had. The fish was so fresh and the flavor was unreal!!!!!!! FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2014Food was average, service below average, prices above average. Large bar area, loud music.Special Features:
- Always great sushi and cocktails!!!ipotexasVIPDined on 6/12/2014Always great sushi and amazing cocktails. Neighborhood is super funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 98 reviews are from the The Blue Fish - Washington reviews archive.
- Great flavors, fun placeCheers1Dined on 5/24/2014Blue Fish on Washington has a great sushi and related menu, with several items that are spicy and flavorful, which is to my liking. The bar missed on a couple of mixed drinks and focuses on sake rather than beer. Service was very good.Special Features:
- good but not too impressedcmatt8Dined on 5/17/2014a friend and I happened to be going out to washington st that night so we decided on Blue Fish. unless you valet park, you will have to park on the street. our waiter was kinda slow but it could have been bc she had a large party she was waiting on as well. the sushi is nothing special. i would probably go back bc we were able to walk to some of the places around there to go out later, so it was convienient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service ruins good food.CyPeteDined on 5/16/2014The food was good, not spectacular but I would return if the service was better. The waiter made it seem like we were imposing on him by being there. Had to repeatedly ask for someone to find him and send him over. We would have had more drinks but he never came around. When it was time for desert, he took the order from one person and started walking away. We called him back and gave him a second and before the third person could order he was gone. Same happened with the food order. It would have been understandable if they were busy but the were not. There are better places with better food and better service close by.Special Features:
- Mother's Day TreatpatkVIPDined on 5/11/2014The food was great and a lovely table was reserved! The waiter was attentive and kind. The manager visited our table frequently! The wonton ice cream was a special treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RollsxpuckerrDined on 5/8/2014My boyfriend and I came back because the after writing a review on Yelp, the owner offered to mail me a gift certificate. We ordered the Lava, Las Vegas, and Jalapeno rolls. All there were amazing. The jalapeno roll was the only one that we were slightly disappointed in because although it was delicious, it tasted like a jalapeno popper with fish.Special Features:
- all gooddeliveringVIPDined on 5/5/2014good experience, good food. Service was a bit slow, but in general was good.Special Features:
- Great night outFoodieTAVIPDined on 4/25/2014Love their signature rolls - the Firecracker, Rainforest. The Lobster roll is a sight to see and enough for a meal. Excellent pear/sake martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food!RhondaSDined on 4/18/2014The Ahi Tower and the Samurai Roll are musts. Fun place ... energetic and crowded (lots of groups and parties).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh food!Chiarra417Dined on 4/18/2014Fish and vegetables are always fresh and very tasty! I love their Ahi Tower appetizer and Super Dragon Roll!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best On SaturdaysMlawDined on 4/13/2014I enjoy taking dates here (the Ahi Tower always goes over well). I took a date here on a Sunday night though, and the lights were much brighter than normal and the TVs were showing a baseball game.... not the same feeling as on a Friday or Satuday night. Food was great as always, but for the upscale date ambience they normally have, avoid this place on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushilive2eatVIPDined on 4/7/2014Food was very fresh & prepared perfectly. I loved watch the sushi chefs in actionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night!CvanWinkleDined on 3/15/2014This is a very good choice for date night or a night out with friends.Special Features:
- ExcellentTrudiDined on 3/8/2014We just love Blue Fish as a neighborhood sushi place. They are consistent on their service and food. They also have a location downtown across from Wrotham. I've noticed that the Washington location is becoming more of a family place with young children. While I LOVE little ones, not at 7:00 p.m. on a Saturday night. The wait staff was knowable - so much, that we just let him order our entire dinner. We were very pleased and will continue visiting both locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- if you want free parking,sushiroxDined on 2/26/2014if you want free parking, get there before 5pm! even on weekdays, they set up valet parking in their own lot around 5pm...Special Features:
- Great RestaurantBen68Dined on 2/15/2014Our first time to eat at this restaurant and the service was great, the waitress was really nice and helpful. The rolls were different from the same ol same ol you see at all the other sushi restaurants. None of the rolls were covered in spicy mayo. Very original, very good sushi combinations. The waitress gave us her opinions and was very patient with us since it was our first time. We will be back for sure. The Tuna Tower and Hawaiian roll were probably our top picks for the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!SusanaDined on 2/11/2014The sushi is delicous, and the ambiance is a plus. Service was great. I went for a birthday dinner, and returned within a week. The rainforest roll and tuna melt in your mouth. Calamari is a delish choice for appetizer. I'm hungry now!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentluv2eatDined on 2/8/2014Recently found this restraunt and can honestly say they have the best Sushi in all of Houston. Never diappointed in the food or service.Special Features:
- Blue fish is absolutely ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/8/2014Blue fish is absolutely our favorite sushi place! Everytime we go we are extremely pleased with the fresh fish and delicious rolls. The Ahi tuna tower is to die for!!Special Features:
- Consistently freshAlliaalbDined on 1/29/2014Any sushi eater knows that the main thing about sushi is freshness. Good sushi is good but bad sushi is AWFUL. We to to Blue Fish every week and have yet to have a bad experience or order anything that didn't come out great. The service is good and the people all very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hopping atmosphereChristineVIPDined on 1/25/2014Vibrant young crowd, food could be tastier. I had the Chicken teriyaki, everything tasted the same. Couldn't tell the difference btw chicken and vegetable. The veg tempura was ok. The vegetable were mushy instead of crispy. Great wine list, great place to gather, tables are close together, so it's very social and the service was excellent. Better for 18-30 crowd who may not discern, as much if the food is fabulous, or not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FreshnessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014BlueFish quality and food freshness was outstanding and service was spot on I lived in Japan for 2 years and had the best freshness seafood and customer service available and was afraid after that experience wouldn't find a restaurant in the US that measured up. BlueFish came very close, move over RA Keep up the good work!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/22/2014I went here for an anniversary lunch with my boyfriend and it was just right. We got the calamari appetizer and it was delicious but just a tad too oily. The rolls we ordered were all delicious with generous portions of fish on them. Service was quick but they tend to fill your glass up entirely with water so after one sip it looked like we drank half the glass and they'd have to constantly come back! Prices were fair and the food was good, we'll be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great timesintxDined on 1/17/2014Between the excellent company, the sake and the ahi tuna towers we had a great time. RecommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top sushi place in houstonJBD719Dined on 1/11/2014Tuna tower is fantastic. The scene on fri and sat can be a bit much, hard to talk to your table, etc. But all in all a great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi and serviceakwdVIPDined on 1/4/2014Highly recommend the ahi tower. Rolls were fresh and delicious. If you're going with children, recommend going early. Kid-friendly until the crowds start coming in and then it may be a bit overwhelming for kids. Some of the best sushi and quail eggs we've ever had! Reasonably priced as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer deserves quality service?LikesanothersushiplaceDined on 1/3/2014Service was not good. Server would take a drink order from one person then disappear, didn't even think about asking rest of table. A custom sushi roll was ordered after server said they were capable of custom rolls... Well they delivered 15mins AFTER the rest of the tables rolls! Seriously... And the manager brought the roll out and didn't even speak, much less apologize for delay or say enjoy. Overall, if you enjoy being forced to accept what is handed to you and expect nothing more than a profoundly average dining experience, then BlueFish is the place for you! I recommend Soma down the street.
- Fantastic Sushi nice atmosphereLuvsushiDined on 1/3/2014The sushi rolls and Nigiri are wonderful! The atmosphere was very laid back, half the tables had young children which was nice since my friends with kids are always very worried about bringing their child to a sushi restaurant. The prices are a bit high we thought but the quality of the food was great and the taste was as well. We will definitely be back, maybe for their happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great sushi, bare ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/22/2013The sushi was fresh and delicious, the lychee martinis were fantastic. The restaurant itself was barren and open and lacked personality. The expansive bar looked like it should be in a club rather than a restaurant. If you're not too interested in the ambiance Tue in good shape because the food is, as it should be, the main focus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank goodness for the bartenders!NejyxofDined on 12/13/2013We started off at the bar and our bartender recommended an excellent sake. While we were enjoying our sake I asked about the various drinks they were mixing in front of us and was given a sample. I ordered the signature martini and it was amazing! The rest of our party arrived and we moved to our table. We should've just stayed at the bar though because our server sucked: couldn't make any recommendations, really impatient and loudly announced last call at 11:15! The sushi wasn't all that great for the price so I doubt I'll be back for the fish. However, I will be back for a drink or two at their fabulous bar!
- Could be betterdeliveringVIPDined on 12/3/2013Food was good. Appetizers came last. The noise from the bar made our conversations difficultSpecial Features:
- Good sushi and good ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013We enjoy The Blue Fish and go there to eat even when we have other Sushi options close by. It's not the best we've ever had but solidly good.
- We were there on a FridayFrog818Dined on 11/15/2013We were there on a Friday night. We had a reservation and were seated pretty fast. The place was really noisy! The orders were not served as they were placed. Waiter forgot to bring a dish. Water glasses were not filled on time. Dish with wasabi and ginger was taken away while we were still eating. When I commented on that, they promised to bring a new one. We never got it. Food was allright, but overprized.Special Features:
- One you don't want to missBigJim3Dined on 11/13/2013Food and service go hand and hand with me and that is why I like this place.Special Features:
- Great place to start the evening!KikaDined on 10/19/2013We had great service last Saturday and loved the food. The manager checked in on us and our waiter made sure we had everything we needed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.