The Blue Fish Restaurant
3551 St Johns Avenue
Jacksonville, FL 32205Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Fish Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluefishjax.com/
- Phone: 9043870700x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 5:00 - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Grenamyer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full catering menus can be viewed on our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Two private banquet rooms, one semi private room in our upstairs lounge.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Robinson 9043870700x
- Entertainment: Piano Bar Upstairs, 7pm 12am Friday and Saturday evenings.
A word from The Blue Fish Restaurant
The Blue Fish Restaurant and Oyster Bar is located historic Avondale, one of Jacksonville's most prestigious neighborhoods. Just minutes from downtown Jacksonville, we offer the freshest selections of seafood in creative recipes, including a large variety of specialty oysters, great steaks, fresh catch, and nightly specials. Light plate options available for the smaller appetite. Jacksonville's best Happy Hour 3-7pm daily. Al fresco dining available on our patios.. Our wine list is quite affordable with over 60 wines by the glass. We have two full bars with a late-night upstairs club. We are upscale casual and perfect for business or casual dinners, with friends, family or date night. Full banquet facilities available including private dining rooms that seat up to 70.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The Blue Fish Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Jacksonville ›
The Blue Fish Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (61)special occasion (41)fit for foodies (37)great for outdoor dining (35)vibrant bar scene (29)good for groups (23)great for brunch (20)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (18)hot spot (15)romantic (14)late-night find (13)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Every restauranteur's nightmareJkerrdogVIPDined on 8/31/2014A frequent spot for us as we live in the 'hood'. However what would have been our usual enjoyable experience turned South midway due to the cacaphony of obnoxious noise from a party of 5or6 at a nearby table. I do not mind the 'din' of a busy/popular restaurant at all BUT everything is relative & these folks take the cake! They demonstrated absolutely no concern for their fellow diners! I do not know what a restaurant owner/manager does. They are in a 'no-win' predicament!Special Features:
- Always a delicious mealParkCitySkierVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great selection of fresh fish. Plenty of options in oystersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foo but no table?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Though I had made a reservation via Opentable, they did not have my name. The restaurant acted like it happens frequently. They happened to have an opening but had to sit in a small area with a group of loud party. Disappointed in the appSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereSatisfiedlady2Dined on 8/29/2014This place was awesome. The food was great, service was good, drinks were awesome. Everyone in my party had a great experience. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LyndaDined on 8/22/2014We brought our son for his birthday. We had a great time. Food was delicious and well prepared. Our waiter was fantastic. We will definitely be returning to dine again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service are NOT worth it!sammus85Dined on 8/22/2014The restaurant was really loud. There aren't any booths. The service was atrocious. The table next to us sent back food...twice. The food is bland and tasteless, except for the crab bisque. Better restaurants on the same side of the street, not to mention the entire neighborhood. A must miss for all.
- Beautiful Florida decor,CarocookDined on 8/15/2014Having dined at this restaurant many times I always enjoy the experience and find it to always have fresh fish good cocktails and a very lively crowd The outside courtyard is something I intend to try on my next visit perhaps when the weather is a tad coolerSpecial Features:
- Ideal setting for a business lunchOPDramaQueenDined on 8/15/2014Unsure of client preferences and want to make sure all bases are covered? Blue Fish is the choice location! Online reservations assures you of the desired time so there is no embarrassment of a long wait. Service was stellar. Prices very reasonable for the quality of food. Comfortable seating -- upfront to see and be seen, or nestled in the back room for quiet and privacy. And did I mention the great parking? A rarity in most places but not so with Blue Fish.Special Features:
- Best Sunday Brunch!HappyDinerDined on 8/10/2014Blue Fish has an amazing Sunday brunch. The portions are huge but delicious and the cold bar is outstanding. I highly recommend Blue Fish for your next Sunday brunch. Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014The food was wonderful but it took 30 minutes to receive my appetizer. Also the waitress was rarely there and it took a while to get anything we asked forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatseekerofbetterDined on 8/3/2014Blue Fish has a very interesting menu and we tried to sample an array of dishes. Good flavors, but flaws were included. For example, the pecan crusted snapper had a nice mix, but it was overwhelmed by the greasiness. The sides did not have the temperature of the main dish, suggesting poor timing. The vegetables did not match the description of the dish either. The scallops were cooked perfectly in the other dish. I think the location is good and the ability to open the front of the restaurant is a plus. Overall, not a destination but would not avoid.
- My FaveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014I love everything about Blue Fish. That we have such a wonderful place to dine on our side of town. That the food is always so fresh and well prepared. The service always friendly and knowledgeable. The décor is fun and beautiful. I will return again and again.Special Features:
- AwesomeAnthonyDined on 7/26/2014shrimp and grits are the best I've ever eaten hands down great bar awesome drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef King comes to JacksonvilleJaxFoodiesDined on 7/26/2014Chef King, formerly of A1A Ale House in St. Augustine, has brought his expertise to Bluefish. Having been there now about 2 months, he has begun to put his special touches on the menu. The seafood is about as fresh as it can be, with imaginative and flavor forward dishes. The atmosphere is energetic, but outside seating, both in the front of the restaurant, and in back in a more private area with a nice fountain, can be much quieter and conducive to a wonderful evening. My wife and I have been there twice since Chef's arrival, and have had great meals both times. The wine list has been updated and has a nice variety available, or you can bring your own for a nominal cork fee. A sure hit, so we will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!JennyDined on 7/25/2014We went for a celebration lunch for one of my employees. The food was excellent as was the service. I have been here several times and it's always a favorite place to go back to!! I'm never dissapointed with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small business ownerbrunchDined on 7/20/2014Great service, always filling your glass be it water or a cocktail. Good brunch foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SupportJAXCMCDined on 7/14/2014We made reservations for 6:00pm for a promotion celebration for our new General Manager. The entire staff went above and beyond ensuring everything was in perfect order. The Blue fish never disappoints. The food is amazing the service is perfect...there when you need them, and gone when you don't. I highly recommend the Blue Fish for any company outing you have, they will always make it the right choice.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceHappyFamilyDined on 7/13/2014Great service and exceptional food. Enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Need to find a way to lower the noise level. Only part that was NOT an enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LafKDined on 7/5/2014I went on a dinner date with my girlfriend. I enjoyed the food very much, and the wine selection is very good. It seems the restaurant is now catering a bit more to families, but still with a "foodie" type of menu and price. It is very loud in the restaurant. Not a romantic setting. The service was very good too.Special Features:
- has2Dined on 7/5/2014We've eaten here before and really enjoyed the food. But, the restaurant can be noisy. This time, we took a friend and went on the early side and on a weekend night. That helped with the noise and the food was as good as we remembered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoLuvfoodDined on 6/28/2014We've been to Blue Fish twice. The first time it was great, food and service. This last time we went, the food lacked flavor and was just OK. The cucumber ginger martini...bad...and the service made the experience feel rushed and sales like.
- Always A Favorite!CassieVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great and friendly service (thank you Heidi!). We love the food here but you must try the Lobster Bisque. It is absolutely the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Earplugs Required at Happy HourSharonVIPDined on 6/26/2014We love the food at Blue Fish, but not the noise during Happy Hour. The restaurant needs to solve the noise issues between the bar and the main dining room. It was so very loud and irritating that we considered leaving, but we had already ordered our dinner. So we spoke with the waiter who moved us to an outside table in the back. It had been raining and things were a bit wet, but we preferred damp over an unbearable din. The food was delicious as usual, but we will definitely not be dining during Happy Hour again.Special Features:
- Friendly and AccomodatinghappybirthdaytomeDined on 6/21/2014My boyfriend and I went here for my 30th birthday and made a reservation after reading reviews that said the place was great. They were so great in having a table by their cute fountain outside in their courtyard. Our server was friendly and really down to earth. I could tell that there was a table around us that was having some problems but the staff around us were very patient and hard working to help fix the issue. Our food was great and overall it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJoyJoyDined on 6/20/2014I would recommend anyone who loves seafood to take a visit soon. This past experience made my third visit n the food has been consistently delicious!!!!!Special Features:
- jassieDined on 6/18/2014Good food, good service, the food here is always so fresh, seafood is the best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed loveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/18/2014Blue Fish is my very Favorite. Fresh seafood always expertly prepared. But service was disappointing on this visit.Special Features:
- Great grouper.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014I really look forward to good grouper when I am in Florida. Theirs was great!Special Features:
- Excellent brunch, awesome serviceDaveVIPDined on 6/15/2014This is our third brunch at Blue Fish over the past two years, and it was just as good as our previous visits. Food was impeccable, service was friendly and excellent, and you can't beat the bottomless bloody marys!Special Features:
- Best restaurant in JacksonvilleExcellentDined on 6/14/2014I not only love your wine list and food but also your servers are excellent especially Don. My husband is notoriously fussy, and he will only walk through the door if Don is there! Your chef is amazing. I lived in Italy for three years and one of your pasta dishes was the finest I've had since that time. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014Excellent food, great service, lovely surroundings. Wish I could go every day.Special Features:
- JimJimmyDined on 6/7/2014Enjoyable evening. Will come back. Food was very good. Service was great.Special Features:
- disappointedlockhartwayDined on 5/25/2014Titled this "disappointed" for one reason only: made a reservation for 4 people for 8 p.m. Restaurant was not filled. Got there and no one was at the door. Had to find someone to tell them I had a reservation. The woman asked name - when I told her she asked: For 2? Well no, for 4. I was told there was no table set up for us. (Huh?) As I stated, the restaurant had a lot of empty tables. When reservation was made I asked for the quietest part of the restaurant so we could talk at the table. The woman said since no table was set up for us, would I mind sitting in a quieter part of the restaurant in the back. ???? Maybe, no one looks at the reservations made through Open Table?Special Features:
- Great ExpierienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014with a very Knowledgeble server Gerardo we had an outstanding evening, great wine by the glass a hopping happy hour and an array of seafood in which you cant find any where we had the whole grilled catch of the day a whole yellowtail snapper topped with grilled onions was for sure the highlightSpecial Features:
- an evening with my wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014this place met every expectation and then some absolutely the freshest oysters in Jacksonville with the options of a bunch of specialty selections from NY to Canada The bartender mixed some killer martinis and I had a few beers from there Bold City selections we had the best experience we have had in years at any restaurant!Special Features:
- Fresh foodBorninsicilyDined on 5/23/2014The emphasis is on fresh fish and the true flavor of the food, but the popularity of the place distracts from that. You can't talk to your dining partners due to the noise and the you feel so rushed to leave. I would try eating here again but I would wait until happy hour was over at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our visitSuziQDined on 5/20/2014Our friends have been raving over how good Blue Fish is for months now and we finally made a trip out there. I only wish that we listened to them months ago the food was fresh and cooked the way seafood should be. We will be making Blue Fish one of our regular destinations from now on. Love the openness of the restaurant and out door patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really DisappointingSharynDined on 5/18/2014Drama with our reservations (which had been confirmed both by myself and the restaurant staff), bugs in our drinks, and cold, awful food that took forever. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. I will say the manager on duty tried to make up for things the best he could by comping our drinks and desserts but I would've rather had paid full price and had a good meal We were a party of 15, celebrating my daughter's law school graduation, many having come from out of town. We were expecting a wonderful dinner after the graduation. What a disappointment!
- NiceEnjoysdiningoutDined on 5/17/2014It was nice but pricey. The food was good but not worth the price.Special Features: