The Blue Fish Restaurant
3551 St Johns Avenue
Jacksonville, FL 32205Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Fish Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluefishjax.com/
- Phone: (904) 387-0700
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 5:00 - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Grenamyer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full catering menus can be viewed on our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Two private banquet rooms, one semi private room in our upstairs lounge.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Robinson 9043870700x
- Entertainment: Piano Bar Upstairs, 7pm 12am Friday and Saturday evenings.
A word from The Blue Fish Restaurant
The Blue Fish Restaurant and Oyster Bar is located historic Avondale, one of Jacksonville's most prestigious neighborhoods. Just minutes from downtown Jacksonville, we offer the freshest selections of seafood in creative recipes, including a large variety of specialty oysters, great steaks, fresh catch, and nightly specials. Light plate options available for the smaller appetite. Jacksonville's best Happy Hour 3-7pm daily. Al fresco dining available on our patios.. Our wine list is quite affordable with over 60 wines by the glass. We have two full bars with a late-night upstairs club. We are upscale casual and perfect for business or casual dinners, with friends, family or date night. Full banquet facilities available including private dining rooms that seat up to 70.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Blue Fish Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Jacksonville ›
The Blue Fish Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (61)fit for foodies (43)great for outdoor dining (38)special occasion (32)vibrant bar scene (26)good for groups (22)hot spot (16)romantic (15)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (13)late-night find (9)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Avondale Gem not to be missedFoodmavenDined on 11/20/2014One of the best spots in town. This restaurant always delivers. Oysters and the freshest fish available. Specials guaranteed to excite and satisfy. Great brunch spot. A lovely patio weather permitting. Dog friendly Not to be missed when your in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/14/2014The menu offers small and large portion sizes for many of the entrees, something we find attractive since ordering the small portion enables us to enjoy soup or appetizers and possibly dessert. We enjoyed the seafood gumbo and small portion cobia and wahoo entrees along with a couple of glasses of wine off their reasonably priced wine list. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersNavyDined on 11/13/2014The Blue Fish is one of my favorite restaurants in all of Jacksonville. I was originally introduced to this place while meeting some friends for brunch, and I have been hooked ever since. The oysters are by far the best thing going for this restaurant. My girlfriend and I recommend going for happy hour, when you can partake in a delicious glass of wine and a tray of oysters for half price. We always follow up our meal with a serving of white chocolate bread pudding. It is AMAZING!!! It's kinda hip, it's kinda romantic, it's kinda classy...Move this place to the top of your list if you haven't tried it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- justmeDined on 11/7/2014One of Jacksonville's best, the option of small plates or full servings is great for my wife and I. The wine list was very good.Special Features:
- Loved it , Loved it,Loved it !!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I was very pleased with my meal. My guest were very impressed and stated that they will definitly be returning........... I will for sure return on all occasions,even itf it is for myself to be alone. the cresent city was a winner for me because I don't eat fish and they allowed me to sub with scallops.. it was absolutely DIVINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Great food Great Service Open LateNoisyDined on 10/31/2014We love to eat at The Blue Fish in Avondale. The wait staff is very friendly, well informed on food selections and pairs wine in good taste. Chef offers excellent menu of unique selections to keep your pallet interested and appetite at bay. The Blue Fish is a true gem for Jacksonville and we are proud to include them in our select patronage to support businesses that embrace Equality for all employees and customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh foodchoosydiner1Dined on 10/31/2014Four of us ordered three different fish and all of the fish was very fresh, and cooked very well. The outdoor dining area is very quiet and a nice place to sit. The crab chowder is very good!Special Features:
- Fish OnAllcowDined on 10/31/2014Our party of 8 made the last minute Friday lunch selection of Blue Fish, a rendezvous for several travelers. We were welcomed with a smile and promptly taken to our street side table. Great salads, soups, gumbo, and fish coupled with a good wine selection. Did not opt for desserts but the choices were tough to pass up. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UpsideDownElizabethDined on 10/26/2014Always a delicious and pleasant experience. One of our favorites.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsMrsScalEWagDined on 10/25/2014We have enjoyed Blue Fish since it opened. We love being able to dine in the fresh air, the food is always delicious & the service is wonderfully attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerAnniversaryDined on 10/25/2014A bit congested, but a cozy neighborhood. Service was outstanding. Mainly seafood. The Snapper was well prepared. The atmosphere was relaxed, although busy. We had a good time visiting with others.Special Features:
- funJaguars12VIPDined on 10/25/2014it was our first time and we enjoyed both dinner and the ambiance. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can we take restaurant home with ushossDined on 10/19/2014Thankfully the Blue Fish restaurant served late night dinners and we had reservations at nine on a Sunday evening. Our server Paul was very attentive and his recommendations were spot on. You must order the crab bisque - fresh, creamy, a hint of spice, it was outstanding. The owner and chef Scott came by our table for a chat and we found out he studied at the Culinary Institute of America which is about 15 minutes from our home in NY. Sadly it is probably the only time we will visit Jacksonville, but if we are ever near there again it is a must go to place for us. Go. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceTManDined on 10/17/2014The service was impeccable and very knowledgeable of the main ingredient sources of the entrees this restaurant serves.Special Features:
- Excellent! Don't Miss!k2kenneyDined on 10/16/2014We were traveling through Jacksonville and spending the night downtown. We searched Open Table for a good spot to eat. So lucky we chose this fantastic restaurant. Excellent food with nice broad menu. Loved the 8 different selections of ways you can have a nice list of fresh fish prepared. We will definitely go back to this restaurant again. A very unique restaurant and in a piece of Jacksonville we'd never been to before. Thank you Open Table!Special Features:
- Outstanding as usualJAXCMCDined on 10/16/2014Again, I take clients to the bluefish because every time the service and good are outstanding. No more be said!!!! Thanks Don for the great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood, seafood, seafoodfreshisbestDined on 10/12/2014Our meal was delicious with tons of options to choose from. Many of the menu items are available in two sizes so it is great for those with a small appetite as well as for those who want to try lots of things. Our oysters were particularly delicious and the fresh fish options were vast.Special Features:
- Sea bassJaniceVIPDined on 10/10/2014I had the Chilean sea bass with the lemon beur blanc which melted in my mouth. The baked Brie was good but I didn't like the savory herb combo with the cranberries and pecans. Think it should have been sweet or savory. Service was friendly and attentive. My husband and I went this time but I have gone here for business dinners and my guests were very impressed with the local neighborhood find. We come every time we are in JAX.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KDogVIPDined on 10/4/2014You can always count on The Blue Fish for great food and service! This is one of our favorites.Special Features:
- Bluefish worth the visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014The Bluefish presented a wonderful menu and a knowledgeable wait staff. Our party enjoyed snapper and grouper dishes. Excellent! Why wait...go enjoy yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Wall of windows that open to the sidewalk. Very romantic. Excellent food and service. We will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- Great ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Our reservation never made it to the restaurant. A little embarrassing when entertaining a group of 6. The young lady that greeted us handled the situation beautifully and accommodated us quickly with our desire for outdoor eating. The server was extremely helpful, but was one that did not show up much during the meal. Food was very good with a great varied menu to please any palette. Lovely ambiance in courtyard and a great place to share with old friends. Will definitely put this on our "go too" restaurant.Special Features:
- Great fresh seafood.AdmiralDined on 9/20/2014We had out of town guests and wanted them to get a taste of our area's wonderful fresh seafood and the charm of Avondale. Bluefish provided both in its usual fashion. Great food and a delightful outside table.Special Features:
- Good meal; restaurant a bit datedjaywalkerDined on 9/20/2014We ate at Blue Fish for the first time this weekend. The food was solid. I had an Ahi tuna plate and a Caesar salad with fried oysters. The tuna wasn't the best I've had (North Beach fish camp was better), but it was decent. Our server was good. They should replace the carpet and some of the interior fixtures. For the prices they charge, I think they can afford an updated interior!!!Special Features:
- Very niceJaxJackVIPDined on 9/19/2014Took an old friend in town for their high school reunion for dinner on a busy Friday night. She had the salmon and I had the chicken piccata. Both were very good. Service was excellent and the manager came over to chat with us and check to be sure that everything was satisfactory. My guest was overall impressed with the experience.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner with the girlsjagfandinerDined on 9/12/2014Service was great...appetizers were great..main meal was a disappointment. My friend ordered a mixed berry mojito. Was horrible. It ended up being just raspberries with lots of seeds. Had my Jaguars Teal Deals coupon. Didn't realize one was just for lunch and didn't spend enough on my tab to qualify for the dinner one. Wasn't a bad evening but thought it could have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very dissappointedMedManStephenDined on 9/9/2014The problem came when our food arrived. The crab cakes were mostly breading and very skimpy on the crab. They tasted ok if you like that type of very "bready" crab cake. With the small plates, the crab topped eggplant had only a small spot of crab meat and the eggplant was still hard/crunchy inside. The BBQ shrimp was overcooked to the point the shrimp was rubbery; however the sauce the shrimp were in was great. Our mussels were so undercooked that 1/3 of the shells were still closed, and the mussels could not be pulled out of the shell. This should have been noticed before being brought to the table. We did give the manager bonus points for COMPing these items without us having to ask. GREAT MENU, BAD FOOD, Nice staff
- Every restauranteur's nightmareJkerrdogVIPDined on 8/31/2014A frequent spot for us as we live in the 'hood'. However what would have been our usual enjoyable experience turned South midway due to the cacaphony of obnoxious noise from a party of 5or6 at a nearby table. I do not mind the 'din' of a busy/popular restaurant at all BUT everything is relative & these folks take the cake! They demonstrated absolutely no concern for their fellow diners! I do not know what a restaurant owner/manager does. They are in a 'no-win' predicament!Special Features:
- Always a delicious mealParkCitySkierVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great selection of fresh fish. Plenty of options in oystersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foo but no table?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Though I had made a reservation via Opentable, they did not have my name. The restaurant acted like it happens frequently. They happened to have an opening but had to sit in a small area with a group of loud party. Disappointed in the appSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereSatisfiedlady2Dined on 8/29/2014This place was awesome. The food was great, service was good, drinks were awesome. Everyone in my party had a great experience. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LyndaDined on 8/22/2014We brought our son for his birthday. We had a great time. Food was delicious and well prepared. Our waiter was fantastic. We will definitely be returning to dine again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service are NOT worth it!sammus85Dined on 8/22/2014The restaurant was really loud. There aren't any booths. The service was atrocious. The table next to us sent back food...twice. The food is bland and tasteless, except for the crab bisque. Better restaurants on the same side of the street, not to mention the entire neighborhood. A must miss for all.
- Beautiful Florida decor,CarocookDined on 8/15/2014Having dined at this restaurant many times I always enjoy the experience and find it to always have fresh fish good cocktails and a very lively crowd The outside courtyard is something I intend to try on my next visit perhaps when the weather is a tad coolerSpecial Features:
- Ideal setting for a business lunchOPDramaQueenDined on 8/15/2014Unsure of client preferences and want to make sure all bases are covered? Blue Fish is the choice location! Online reservations assures you of the desired time so there is no embarrassment of a long wait. Service was stellar. Prices very reasonable for the quality of food. Comfortable seating -- upfront to see and be seen, or nestled in the back room for quiet and privacy. And did I mention the great parking? A rarity in most places but not so with Blue Fish.Special Features:
- Best Sunday Brunch!HappyDinerDined on 8/10/2014Blue Fish has an amazing Sunday brunch. The portions are huge but delicious and the cold bar is outstanding. I highly recommend Blue Fish for your next Sunday brunch. Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014The food was wonderful but it took 30 minutes to receive my appetizer. Also the waitress was rarely there and it took a while to get anything we asked forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceToniDined on 8/6/2014I've have been there twice with large groups, which is usually challenging for any restaurant. Blue Fish staff handled it smoothly. The service was great and the food was delicious. We all felt their prices were very reasonable for such gourmet choices. Love that they have two sizes you can order. I had their fabulous crab bisque and small order of shrimp and grits. Outstanding and a gracious plenty for me. Everyone reported that their dinners were delucious. We also had a Margarita with a splash of amaretto (waiter suggestion) and it was to direct for. We would all definitely go back. Parking is a challenge and reservations highly recommended. ..but Avondale is a beautiful area and BF is worth the parking hassle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatseekerofbetterDined on 8/3/2014Blue Fish has a very interesting menu and we tried to sample an array of dishes. Good flavors, but flaws were included. For example, the pecan crusted snapper had a nice mix, but it was overwhelmed by the greasiness. The sides did not have the temperature of the main dish, suggesting poor timing. The vegetables did not match the description of the dish either. The scallops were cooked perfectly in the other dish. I think the location is good and the ability to open the front of the restaurant is a plus. Overall, not a destination but would not avoid.
- My FaveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014I love everything about Blue Fish. That we have such a wonderful place to dine on our side of town. That the food is always so fresh and well prepared. The service always friendly and knowledgeable. The décor is fun and beautiful. I will return again and again.Special Features: