The Blue Fish - Bayou
550 Texas Ave
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Fish - Bayou
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebluefishsushi.com/
- Phone: 7132253474x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - close
Bar Hours: Daily: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from The Blue Fish - Bayou
The Blue Fish features the freshest premium selections of sushi and sashimi, along with spectacular signature rolls and hot food dishes. We also boast a variety of sake, beer, wine and spirit selections to complete the dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Blue Fish - Bayou reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (35)fit for foodies (31)good for groups (25)great for lunch (17)vibrant bar scene (15)special occasion (14)late-night find (13)hot spot (13)romantic (10)scenic view (10)great for brunch (6)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Good sushiAlizooDined on 8/29/2014Our first visit to Blue Fish and we were surprised at how good the sushi was. I had grilled salmon with veggies and rice, it was a little greasy and an enormous portion. We finished off with my favority Japanese dessert, mochi, but I was horrified to find them quartered and with cream squirted all over them! The staff very kindly replaced them with un-messed about mochi. They were not bad, the greeen tea ones seemed a bit stale but the vanilla one was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- music4uVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food and location to Jones Hall and Wortham where we frequent. We will be back!Special Features:
- Fun and good food too!!KMHoustonDined on 8/21/2014Picked this restaurant because of close proximity to Wortham for a girls nite to the theater. Location was perfect, food was great with some interesting twists on sushi. Loved the ahi tacos!! Service was great, drinks a little pricey, especially the wine. But, it's a downtown prime location, what did I expect. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-show dinner for 6TexmexerDined on 8/16/2014The online reservation was quick and easy, BF called us to confirm the day of, and we were seated promptly. The service was great. We had no problem getting to our show on time. The sushi was fresh and very tasty, and all the food was also very visually appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater dinnerLuncheonVIPDined on 8/15/2014We picked Blue Fish for our dinner choice since it was across the street from the Wortham Theater and we had tickets to a show. So glad we had reservations since there was only one available table. We sampled a variety of items and shared among the 4 of us. My Pinot Noir (house wine) was not good (bottle must have been opened on a prior day) but they had no problem switching it to a Cabernet glass that was wonderful. The various rolls were wonderful and Ahi tuna salad was great! Will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- brianDined on 8/12/2014The waiter meant well, but was a little too passionate about the food and our dining experience. He also tried to mix up our tuna stack, which took about 5 minutes and was mostly unsuccessful. The food was ok, but not great. It came out way too fast and wasn't paced at all. Even when we ran out of room on the table they just kept bringing more plates. Also, having to pay $9 to have my car parked in a waiting zone in front of the restaurant is absurd. When I left, the valet handed me the keys and pointed to where my car was. I know everyone hates the valet nonsense in Houston, but this was by far the worst I've had to deal with in 5 years here.Special Features:
- Great place to go for good food.bluefishmainreveiwDined on 8/3/2014Really my family, friends, and I really enjoyed ourselves. The only complaint I have is that we felt really rushed as if they wanted us to hurry up n go. When im out enjoying food n friends I like to take my time was not in a hurry to leave. That was the only turn off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incomprehensibly slowfoodieVIPDined on 7/29/2014arrived at 7:40pm to make the 9:00pm show next door - ordered 1 roll and 2 orders of sashimi - took over an hour and was lied to by the server multiple times assuring it was "being rolled" - the worst service in the city without question.
- if you like waiting...NYCHOUDined on 7/29/2014We arrived for our reservation and were seated promptly, drink and food order placed timely, drinks/appetizers came out in a timely manner, then all things came to a halt. The hostess came to our table to advises us that the kitchen was backed up and asked us to reconsider our roll order (original order: sushi, sashimi, and one roll). We complied, and ordered more sashimi. Our 2 piece sushi came out and then we waited. 30-40 minutes later I notice the people seated around us, who arrived after us, were enjoying their rolls, and yet we still had not received our sashimi? Just as we decided to give up and pay for our drinks/apps our order arrived. we ate fast paid the bill and missed the opening act at Bayou Center.Special Features:
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Got there early, service was good, great food. Was a little noisy as it filled up, but otherwise it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Good food; late openingAnnyDined on 7/19/2014Great option if you go to the symphony or some other event downtown, walking distance and late opening. Food is good, no extraordinary but good. Service good alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue FishXtinaDined on 7/19/2014We were promptly seated and our food came fast. My dining companions really enjoyed the Ahi Tower, Mega Lobster and Sundae sushi. The Kobe potsticker was ok. I was expecting small chunks of meat, not ground meat. Our waiter was attentive and helpful when ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is solid, ambience so soAWGoodDined on 7/3/2014The sushi is very good, the drink selection is very good, but we were looking for something a little more exciting. In their defense it was a the night before Independence Day so I'm not sure it was an accurate reflection. I much prefer the Washington Ave. location though.Special Features:
- Love bluefishLisaVIPDined on 6/27/2014This was my first time at this Blue Fish location. I've always loved the washington location and my finance and I thought we'd give this one a try. Food is the same but the atmosphere is completely different. We dined outside. It was a nice evening and it's cool being in the middle of downtown. The age group here was mostly 30's +. The washington location is a younger crowd and busier. The menus are actually nicer here. Thick and laminated compared to just paper at the washington location. Because it wasn't as busy, we got much more personal attention. Also, free parking after 6!!! Washington makes you valet since parking is limited. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Very tasty mealDL27VIPDined on 6/27/2014The service wasn't as good as the food, but I think it had more to do with the lack of servers working. We went later than normal dinner hours and I think they were short staffed. The food was delicious!Special Features:
- FrreeesssshhhhhrunningismyprozacDined on 6/23/2014Ordered the fish trio, snapper, salmon and tuna and was really surprised at how fresh the fish tasted. Paired with a fabulous gin and tonic the diner was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experienced StaffNicinhoustonDined on 6/23/2014We had a very polite, friendly and helpful waiter who served and adviced us with the right drinks, delicious appetizer and delicious food. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant before playLuv2exploreDined on 6/14/2014We always choose this restaurant before going to a play or the symphony because they take reservations and make sure they work within your timeframe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Right across the street from Wortham Center/ Brown Theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too busy for specific orderKelstiniDined on 6/13/2014My review may seem a bit harsh but it drives me nuts when I order something a specific way and it comes out wrong. I am picky about my spicy salmon roll - I don't like it chopped to the point of seeming pre-chewed. I asked the waitress if it could be made this way and she told me that they might be too busy for special requests. I'm sorry - what?!? That doesn't even make sense. Sushi is raw for crying out loud! Also, my friend and I ordered mochi and attempted to cancel this order because it took so long for the waitress to bring a frozen dessert to the table. By the time it got to us it was half melted. Don't expect good service or any special treatment if you go.Special Features:
- Great as usualdinerDined on 6/13/2014We dine at Blue Fish when we have a ballet not because it is so convent but because it is also an excellent restaurant. The variety of eating options from small plate to full meal is excellent. It was great as usual.Special Features:
- aggie82Dined on 6/8/2014The food was great and the service was excellent. We would dine there anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre- theaterFoodieVIPDined on 6/7/2014It has been awhile since we ate here. We tried it for a quick meal before the ballet and were impressed by the taste and quality of the food. It was quickly serves as we asked and tasty. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceRickcVIPDined on 6/7/2014While everyone was willing to work with our glutton free requirements, our meals were served very inconsistently. We were a table of 4, 2 people received their meals them 10 minutes later another person was served then another 15 minutes went by before the 4th person was served. Since our family always waits to eat until everyone is served, most of the meals were cold by the time we stayed to eat. The food was ok, nothing great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/6/2014The best traditional sushi restaurant in Houston. Sushi is always fresh, and the variety is outstanding. The service is attentive but not annoying.Special Features:
- Nothing to rave aboutSAPDADined on 6/3/2014This is simply another chain restaurant, but with a "Japanese" menu. The food is not bad but nothing exceptional. The focus is mainly on alcoholic beverages. The one advantage is that it is one of the very few places where you can park your car nearby and get a reasonably decent meal before going to the symphony, ballet or theater.
- good pre-theater selectionjfltcDined on 6/1/2014At our June 1 visit, both food and service were excellent. This is usually a good pre-theater choice.
- Very UnderwhelmingTannerVIPDined on 5/30/2014The rolls we ordered were good. No complaints there. Ordered calamari as an appetizer and got it AFTER the rolls and sashimi came out. Waiter seemed like he was out of it and I had to repeat each order back to him so he was sure to get it right. All in all, felt that the dinner was a little overpriced and the service was lacking. Also, valet was terrible and still cost $9 without tip. I ended up spending about $120 for dinner for two (two top shelf gin drinks, sushi rolls, appetizer and sashimi) + parking. I don't necessarily think that that is extremely overpriced but there are def. other places in town that are leagues better than this place. Blue Fish is very tourist-y and not that great. Hell at least I got 1,000 points for going.Special Features:
- Fun, healthy and convenientAmateurFoodCriticVIPDined on 5/30/2014We've been here several times and have never been less than exceptionally pleased.Special Features:
- OutofTowner43Dined on 5/30/2014Wonderful sushi. Great service! I don't get downtown often, but will try to come here again soon.Special Features:
- TASTY & FRESHHeightsFoodieGuyVIPDined on 5/28/2014Some of my Favorite Rolls and bites! Definitely try The Ahi Tuna Tower, and The Pinata Roll....For a Special Treat...THE MEGA LOBSTER ROLL is quite decadent!Special Features:
- Nice dinnerTrynewthingsDined on 5/28/2014It is a nice place to eat out downtown in the theater district, food was good although I was not impressed. Friendly service, you might have some issues with flies if you sit outside in the summer.Special Features:
- Always a FavoriteAliceVIPDined on 5/28/2014We love coming here before each musical at the Hobby Center. Food is great and service always attentive to our need to be out in time for the musical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodBCfoodieDined on 5/25/2014Had dinner prior to attending the symphony and was thoroughly impressed. The food was fantastic - unique and flavour full. The stuffed soft shell crab was delicious. Will definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sundays a challenge...FBG007VIPDined on 5/25/2014We are regulars there when we go to the theater. The food is always really good, but we have now noticed that there seems to be challenges on Sundays. We arrived at 10 minutes to 6:00 and did not get out food until 6:40. Apparently the sushi bar was way backed up, so there was a very long delay. I was disappointed in the server as he never came by in the interim to tell us anything, but thankfully the show did not start until 7:30, so we were not in a rush.Special Features:
- Downtown delightTxMalekDined on 5/20/2014We found this restaurant while looking for good food before a concert. This restaurant has great sushi! I recommend the Mega Lobster Roll and the Rock Manhattan. Very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Service!evansmmeDined on 5/20/2014Our group of four met at The Blue Fish before a concert. Our waiter Francisco greeted us and immediately asked if we were attending the concert - he wanted to make sure we would be taken care of timely. Francisco explained the menu and offered suggestions. The Ahi Tower was awesome - the other rolls we ordered, were also very tasty. Can't wait for another event in the area - we will definitely return to The Blue Fish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for late afternoon brunchsericVIPDined on 5/17/2014Sometimes brunch isn't about waffles and omelets. We went here for a late Saturday brunch. It wasn't crowded. We dined al fresco. The spicy tuna roll was done very well, and the El Cubano roll was unexpected with spiced pork and jalapeño. Four rolls, tempura and four Sapporo drafts = $56. Very reasonable. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysKkg003Dined on 5/15/2014Always happy with Blue Fish. This was a great dinner with our colleague.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2014One of my favorite sushi restaurants in Houston. The sushi is outstanding - best wasabi roe in town. The service last Saturday night was exceptional despite the fact that they were extremely busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.