The Blue Bonnet Restaurant
457 S. Broadway
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Bonnet Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluebonnetrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (303) 778-0147
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Thursday - 11AM to 10PM
Friday & Saturday - 11AM to 11PM
Sunday - 11AM to 9PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from The Blue Bonnet Restaurant
When a family owned restaurant has been in business for almost 40 years, they must be doing something right. Recently expanded with a beautiful patio, the Blue Bonnet has become an institution in Denver. Handmade chips and salsa, chimi changas, award-winning margaritas, flautas, chile rellenos, pollo adovado, fish tacos, and carnitas are just a few items made from scratch along with many traditional favorites. Locals, tourists, and celebrities line up for some of the freshest and best tasting Mexican food in Denver. Casual atmosphere with friendly service. If you can't go South of the border... at least head South of Alameda.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
The Blue Bonnet Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Baker ›
The Blue Bonnet Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (16)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (12)special occasion (7)fit for foodies (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Very AccommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I had a party of 25 and ten more showed up, the team took great care of us, pulled up two more tables no problem. The server did the best he could taking our order and refilling sodas. 35 people can really need a lot. Food came out timely and I can not say any one was upset about anything. Everyone left happy, full, and satisfied. Thank you Blue Bonnet!!! Will continue to recommend. Thank you for being the restaurant I continue to rely upon to make special events perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to its own standardKingpinDined on 10/22/2014Hadn't been in years. Decided to meet friends for drinks and dinner. Service was great. However, my food was liked warm and lakes flavor. The shredded chicken in my chili relleno was bland and the tortilla tasted like one off the shelf at the local supermarket. This explains how they were able to bring it out so quick. Slapped together and smothered hoping the green chili could bring it all together. Come on guys you use to be the bomb!
- Great Food, Awful Sangria.YogiDined on 10/17/2014I absolutely loved the food. It was hot, tasty and quick. The service was spot on and my water glass never got half empty. The only problem I had was the Sangria. It was awful. No fruit, not sweet and tasted like a wine glass full of brandy.Special Features:
- Muy delicioso!CAROLEDined on 10/9/2014Love the stuffed chiles! All was great except the green chile...no kick. Their salsa and chips are great too and a must is the Orange habanero margarita...yum!Special Features:
- OnTheRoadAgainVIPDined on 10/5/2014Excellent handmade margharitas. Sufficient quantity of tequila, not watered down! Chips are made fresh in house. Guacamole very good. Best carnitas ever, moist instead of dry. I would highly recommend visiting Blue Bonnet next time you want an excellent Mexican dinner in Denver.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Fantastic! Drinks/ Service SADGFLiferDined on 9/20/2014Loud place! The food was great! I'm gluten free (medical not lifestyle choice) and the menu was abundant making it hard to choose. The fish tacos stellar. The drinks... Terrible. We ordered Mojitos and well let's just say that's when the dinner went down hill. The waiter asked how they were and he then made an excuse for the bars inability to make them well. Hello, if you know the bar is incapable of making a good drink... Recommend something else!!! Our waiter did not offer to replace our drinks. There was a large table before us so our food was slow, not a big deal but our waiter used that excuse on every table, even 30 min after we ate. Lazy, maybe? We only saw him a few time our entire time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A casual RestaurantOutToEatDined on 8/26/2014This restaurant is a great place to go for good food and plenty of it. Family atmosphere is wonderful. The service is great and so is the food.Special Features:
- Always funOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014You can't go wrong meeting friends at the Blue Bonnet.Special Features:
- Love this place!1sttimeDined on 8/16/2014Owner is always so gracious, and genuine. Food is always EXCELLENT! I'd eat here every day, if I could!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolceceVIPDined on 8/1/2014We have been going here for years (probably 2-3 times per year) and have always enjoyed the food. This last time however, we found the food to be less than satisfactory. Will probably not go back.
- The following 85 reviews are from the The Blue Bonnet Restaurant reviews archive.
- Good not great spotFoodCriticVIPDined on 6/28/2014Bluebonnet is a landmark/iconic Mexican spot in Denver. Food is good - not great; service is good - not great. One thing consistent there is the food comes out in < 5 minutes, which is always nice. The patio in the summer makes the whole program work really well as you can have a casual nice dinner outside.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodWileyGuyDined on 6/13/2014The food remains outstanding, and the staff seem to really enjoy being there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jpkirkeDined on 5/30/2014Used to love the Bluebonnet----it is a shell of what it used to be.Special Features:
- Great food and servicelawyercaldwellDined on 5/22/2014Was in Denver for the week and wanted some good Mexican food. Not the bland stuff. There meats are flavorful with a pretty decent kick. Very fresh ingredients and good portions. The manager was probably the most friendly, interactive manager I have ever seen at a restaurant. Great outdoor seating area as well. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Not quite up to the usualBarbDined on 5/17/2014Normally, this is one of my favorite restaurants to get vegetarian tamales. This time though, the tamales were dried out. They really weren't very good at all. Our server was very busy and not as attentive because of that. It just wasn't up to par this time. We'll go back though because I think this was just a very busy night and an isolated incident.
- Geat Mexican FoodFrankVIPDined on 5/16/2014Glad to see the digging & construction around the restaurant is finally coming to an end. The food is always great! Been to a number of Mexican food places closer to home but keep coming back to Blue Bonnet for the flavor we love. Looked like the patio was almost ready to open.Special Features:
- Mother's Day dinnerLa11la11Dined on 5/11/2014Yum! First time here with in-laws for dinner on Mother's Day. Service was good. Enjoyed the chips and salsa. Entrees were great. Our toddler enjoyed the table and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after theater dinnerGoodFoodGoodFriendsDined on 5/10/2014We live in Greeley and have season tickets to DCPA. Two other couples went with us to The Blue Bonnet after the play last Saturday afternoon and were met by friendly staff, seated quickly and had time for ordering drinks while waiting for one late arriving couple. The chips and salsa were great and refilled while waiting for our entries to arrive. Drinks were excellent reflecting a wide variety including Mexican offerings, and the entries were excellent. Service was prompt and not too often once entries arrived as sometimes happens as some wait staff hover over customers. Recommend for others, especially following a pleasant theater performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food too loudCarolDined on 5/9/2014First time there, and didn't know to ask for a particular room. Guess I would have put a reserved table in the other room where it appears it's much quieter. Couldn't hear ourselves think! However food and service was great! May try again, but will be specific next time about seating location.
- Blue Bonnet RestaurantDFmaasterDined on 4/30/2014Excellent Mexican food with a friendly service minded staff! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent RestaurantSpecOccDinerDined on 3/18/2014The food was very good. I had the Chicken and Sweet Corn Tamales. However, we kind of felt ignored by the waiter. The service really needs a little work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing salsalove2eatDined on 3/17/2014It is awesome that the chips and salsa are bottomless and the salsa tastes amazing. I think I ate about 5 bowls of salsa. The food was good portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. Patty's DayZcarclubDined on 3/15/2014We had a great lunch after the St. Patrick's day parade. Food was great and the Margaritas were spot on.Special Features:
- Wonderful!JoolsDined on 3/8/2014We were so glad to find Blue Bonnet! It was EXCELLENT food and great service. I definitely recommend a reservation because it was packed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best stuffed poblano peppers EVER!desertgspgalDined on 3/7/2014Grew up in Denver,spent many years there, and go back all the time, but never had been here. It was fantastic! So much fun.Those stuffed poblanos are amazing, and I am an aficionado of the dish. I order it pretty much everywhere it is served, including ARIZONA, where I live and where the dish is king.These were among the best I have ever had anywhere. I thought the Margaritas were quite good as well. Everyone in our party of six seemed to enjoy the food and the atmosphere. I would not recommend this for a "romantic night out" or an outing when you want to have deep conversation. Too noisy. But for a fun celebration of just being out with friends, it was awesome! The service was pleasant and prompt, never missed a beat.Special Features:
- Fun, Fast and FabulousJayskiDined on 2/21/2014The Blue Bonnet is one of our regular favorites. The food is consistently delicious and arrives quickly and always hot, service is always attentive and friendly, and they have a gluten free menu which includes vegetarian options. The margaritas go down very easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denver ClassicFrankVIPDined on 2/19/2014Great locally owned multi-generational Mexican restaurant. Nothing fancy, but a fun place to eat, and the food is consistantly delicious. The pork tamales and chili rellenos are hard to beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent with one exceptionBarbDined on 2/14/2014I gave a lower rating for ambience because our table was in a cold spot with a draft. The server tried to find us somewhere to move, but the restaurant was full. She was aware of the draft problem. I think it might be best to warn diners of it before seating them or try to fix the problem somehow.Special Features:
- larger partyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/26/2014We ended up waiting almost 30 minutes past our reservation to even be seated. The food was at best mediocre. My brother's chili relleno was completely burned. Our waiter was efficient and prompt and was perhaps the best part of our experience. Stale chips and one dimensional salsa were a clue about dining quality.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood hang-outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/16/2014Service was prompt, friendly and professional. Happy hour menu is varied, offering something for everyone.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceSethDined on 1/16/2014It has been a while since I have eaten at The Blue Bonnet, but as usual, they did not dissapoint. I was very happy with some changes to their menu and was also very happy with the excellent service we received. As always they had us sat quickly and once we ordered, our food was out in minutes. I am always suprised at how fast they can prepare such excellent entrees. Thanks for another great meal!Special Features:
- Our family's first time.1HappycustomerDined on 1/5/2014We came in with 10 family members, celebrated a birthday. It was our first time! We loved the food! The service was fast and amazing! The price was great!! Everything was amazing and perfect! We loved everything about this restaurant!! We will be recommending and returning! Thanks to all who took care of us that day!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVELY PLACE TO MEET FRIENDSOLDNOONEDined on 12/30/2013WE ALL ENJOYED OUR MEALS A LOT. MEXICAN FOOD BUT BROUGHT UP A NUMBER OF NOTCHES. ESPECIALLY MY WIFE WAS DELIGHTED TO FIND ROASTED VEGETABLES WITH GRILLED SPICED CHICKEN. HEALTHY FOOD WITH A BITE! OUR SERVER WAS ATTENTIVE,BUT NOT "HOVERING". THE BARTENDER COULDN'T BE FRIENDLIER.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right on timeChristyJoDined on 12/29/2013We had a large group for a quick lunch before the movies. They got us in and out with ease, Hector was great.Special Features:
- My Fav placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013i have been going to the blue bonnet for years and have never once been disappointed...i absolutely love this place...always great food great service excellent atmosphere and my fav placeSpecial Features:
- DisappointedSpotDined on 12/12/2013I was told this was "the best mexican food EVER" and I was disappointed. It was average at best, the drink was weak, the chip bland. I won't go back and won't go anywhere my "friend" recommends either.Special Features:
- great foodDenverfoodDined on 12/7/2013the food is always awesome here at the bonnet. You cant go wrong with anything on the menu. The only reason i can not a full 5 stars is the drinks. Mixed drinks were not that good. I have been there before and the drinks were good, but the last time the margs tasted like a over the counter marg mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Star in DenverJimboVIPDined on 11/19/2013This is one of our long time favorites. We are never disappointed. Their beef chimichanga which is really a steak burrito is awesome. The best margaritas around.Special Features:
- Returning patronsRichardVIPDined on 11/16/2013After living away from Denver for 10 years, it really felt like coming home to once again enjoy the authentic Mexican food at Blue Bonnet. We spent 5 years in Chicago and another 5 in New York. When it comes to great Mexican food, those foodie destinations have got nothing on Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something for everyonembakeDined on 11/12/2013we came w/ a group of 10 mixed vegetarian and meat eaters, big appetites and small, and everyone got something that they thought was a winner! the service was relaxed and very accommodating. in short: a great time and a reasonable price-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.