The Blake House
449 Jarvis St
Toronto, ON M4Y 2G8Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Blake House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblakehouse.ca/
- Phone: 4169751867
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM, Sunday: 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room for 20 to 40 people
- Private Party Contact: Jim 4169751867
A word from The Blake House
Designed by the renowned architects Knox & Elliot and built in 1891, The Blake House is one of the last standing heritage structures in Toronto mixing late 19th century Victorian and Second Empire architecture. Its first owner the Honourable Edward Blake was the second premier of Ontario and leader of the federal liberal party between 1878-1887 . He was also the founder of the law firm known today as Blake, Cassels & Graydon. At that time, Jarvis street was a tree lined boulevard of stately mansions as displayed on our wall stencils and pictures. Leading Canadian families such as the Cawthras, Masseys, and Gooderhams were among Blake's neighbours. The home remained in the Blake family until 1917. Today, Old homes have been restored to their past glory while new high rise developments have added a contemporary edge. In the same vein, The Blake House invites you to take in the history while sitting on our sunny patio having a local pint or inside by the original wood burning fireplaceContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
The Blake House - Best Restaurants in Cabaggetown ›
The Blake House reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (34)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (25)great for lunch (22)great for brunch (14)special occasion (14)fit for foodies (13)kid-friendly (6)romantic (6)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Enjoyable ExperienceHungreeDined on 10/13/2014Went here for our first Canadian Thanksgiving Holiday. The service, food and environment made our dinner a special and unforgettable moment. Pricing is fair and the food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving dinnerFonsecaDined on 10/13/2014I made dinner reservations for thanksgiving and had the traditional thanksgiving meal they were serving, everything was very good! My boyfriend had the fish and chips, the fries were amazing... And if you are looking to order a cocktail I recommend Blake's splash. Oh almost forgot we also got the calamari which was also quite good, but the portion size was some what small for the price. Our waitress was super friendly, I would definitely recommend checking this place out.Special Features:
- FabulousReviewsDined on 10/10/2014The food was great, the service impeccable and Jim and Mike make you feel at home. We love this place.Special Features:
- Classy but casualMcMarshalDined on 9/26/2014Enjoyed dinner here on a warm late September night. Greeted warmly, seated on patio, and well attended to by several servers/staff. Dinner was quite good, just not quite brilliant. Nice drinks list and pricing.Special Features:
- Embrace Historic TorontoAlfiesWayDined on 9/20/2014Blake's House, situated anywhere else, would still be an excellent pub. But this is more than a pub, this is essential Toronto history. Like anything in real estate, it is ideally located as a place to dine before you go to catch a subsequent show. In our case, Cirque Du Soleil, a mere 7 minutes south to get by cab to the Port Lands. To get to Blake House, it is also ideal to catch a GO Train to Union if you are out of the city and thus completely beat the abomination that Toronto traffic has become on the Gardiner East/West, at any time of day. Exiting Union, if the weather is nice you can even stroll a bit as we did before catching a cab a few minutes north up Jarvis. The food is very enjoyable and the service exceptional.Special Features:
- birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014We chose the Blake House as we had first dined there on the patio in the summer. We decided to return to celebrate a friend's birthday recently and we were not disappointed . For the first time we dined inside and just loved the ambience. Not only was the server great the food was great as well. All in all a great night. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a bit more gravyprefertocookmyselfusuallyDined on 9/7/2014Hi, The service was bordering on excellence. The food would have gotten a perfect score other than there was very little aux ju or gravy for the yorkshire pudding. A very enjoyable experience overall.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014This was our first visit to Blake House and I would definately return.Special Features:
- A Special BirthdayxtraspecialdiningDined on 8/30/20146 of my family members enjoyed a great dining experience on Aug. 30th, to celebrate my sister's 62nd birthday. Everyone enjoyed the atmosphere and food very much. The service was great, our server was very friendly and knowledgeable, and the owner delivered a cheesecake with a candle in it (as ordered by me the day before) for my sister, as we all sang Happy Birthday! It is always a pleasure to dine at the Blake House, and I look forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014It was my first time at the Blake House and it was a wonderful experience from the moment our group arrived, being greeted on the entrance path to the moment we paid the bill. The staff was courteous and full of smiles so happy to be there:) Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portabello Burger so Yummm!SoniaDined on 8/22/2014Went on Aug 22 with a group of friends. I ordered the Portabello burger on the menu and it was excellent! Their Blake burger got great reviews from my friends as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillDined on 8/18/2014Great food. Overall experience excellent. Brought 5 guests who were all very appreciative of the food and service. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerDined on 8/15/2014Our experience would have been much better, but I truly don't think I have had a worse waitress. She wasn't unfriendly, just completely unaware and inattentive. We saw her when she brought our appetizer, and then not again, literally, until she cleared our dinner plates (someone else even brought our entrees). She never came back to ask about the food, refill drinks, etc. It was my daughter's birthday, and we never did get the cake with the candle, and we had to go search for her to pay our bill.Special Features:
- Friendly and welcomingRetireenouveauDined on 8/14/2014Terrific place to meet friends, enjoy excellent food, relax and enjoy life. Felt well cared for by hospitable staff. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Nice place!GreenlandDined on 7/16/2014The Blake House is a very nice place to have a lunch or dinner. I loved "European kind of" decoration, comfortable sofas and a big patio. It was pretty quiet and empty on Wednesday at 6PM but half full around 8:30PM. The stuff is really friendly and helpful, the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Very nice placeIximVIPDined on 7/16/2014It was a lovely summerlicious experience, I will visit this place again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014The quality of the food was an insult. This restaurant should not be a part of summerlicious.
- Summerlicious DelightJM39Dined on 7/11/2014Enjoyed a summerlicious patio lunch at the Blake House on July 11, 2014. The menu selection was all tempting and the items we selected were nicely presented and tasted even better. Our service was friendly and well paced. It helped that it was a warm sunny day so the patio setting was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I read other reviews about the badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014The place looks good but the food my friend and I ate was devoid of taste. Go else where
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2014The Blake House is a good blend of neighborhood Pub and dining. The owners take special care to ensure that guests have a pleasurable experience. The food is superb! It is our go-to spot in this neighborhood!Special Features:
- Great place for client lunches!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Been here a couple of times and both occasions were fantastic! Great service, and probably the best chicken pot pie I've ever had. Great spot.Special Features:
- Somewhat underwhelmedFoodieDined on 7/8/2014The location and ambience of the restaurant were great. The service was ok. Although the waitress came in to check on us several times she did not refresh our water glasses. The food was okay, I was not impressed by any means. I had the sea bass and my mom had the ribs from the summerlicious menu. The food was bland and tasteless, followed by the dessert which was something that I could buy and put together at the grocery store. I feel that summerlicious is a time for restaurants to take advantage of the opportunity to display and show patrons this is our rest stunt and this is what we are about, and serve great food essentially making people to want to keep coming back again and again. I think that Blake house missed this mark completely.Special Features:
- The food orderedOutdoorsieDined on 7/5/2014The back ribs were too dry. The Kale delicious. Service good Location - good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, great service, OK foodGlenDined on 7/4/2014This is a nice bar/ restaurant with pretty standard bar food. It is in a great location and both inside and out are great. Staff are friendly and attentive. They would do really well if they tried stepping it up on food side without overextending themselves.Special Features:
- Good food/service.FoodieDined on 7/1/2014Limited wine list. Wish there were more choices from local Ontario wineries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, bad foodFoodieDined on 6/27/2014The "crispy" calamari was wet and rubbery. Fish and chips, bland. Most of my fries were hard bits from the bottom of the frier. Even the tartar sauce had little taste. This was during Pride and there was a limited menu. You'd think this would be a time to showcase their fare and not just crank food out as quickly as possible. The noise inside was bedlam. Had to actually scream to be heard across the table. Moved outside where the ambiance was MUCH better. Wait staff was friendly and polite.Special Features:
- Nice PatioIanMDined on 6/26/2014Ideal summer spot on the patio for dining or drinking. The only drawback is that smoking is allowed outside (I didn't think in Ontario you could smoke where food was served - even outside), so that's a negative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 105 reviews are from the The Blake House reviews archive.
- spearkaDined on 6/5/2014Thanks - it was a good experience. Love the food and generous portions! KSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The Blake HouseMJReviewDined on 5/31/2014Food was great. Most customers were dining/eating outside. We were in the restaurant. Not formal, but nice & comfortable inside. Friendly atmosphere. I would go back again. Recommended.Special Features:
- Great comfort foodDianaVIPDined on 5/22/2014Nice setting in a heritage house. We split the special salad made of heirloom tomatoes and feta over colorful lettuce and a light herbal dressing. Husband had the lamb shanks with creamy asparagus risotto. The meat fell of the bone - so tender. I had the beef stout pie. It was the best I'd ever had: lots of meat, thick gravy with minced onion and carrots, baked with a thick phylo pastry top. Served piping hot with a serving of mashed potatoes. We split the toffee bread pudding - so good. Great selection of beers and wine. On nice days/evenings it would be so nice to eat outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Food, service and décor were wonderful. For me I found it too noisy where we had to shout across the table.Special Features:
- WonderfulwillbebackagainDined on 4/23/2014My first experience at the Blake House was fabulous. I had a great and delicious food; the service was excellent; the staff was polite, kind and available. My group and i really had fun because you make us feel comfortable and the dinner was excellent. All of us had the Calamari to begin with and we all loved it. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seniors DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014We were in TO for a medical appointment and needed to find a nice restaurant to eat. Being Seniors we could not see ourselves eating a whole 8 oz of prime rib each and we asked if we might split the dish and the waitress obliged. The staff must be the envy of every restaurant. They we very friendly and courteous . We would recommend The Blake House to any age group. We were early dinners and as the evening progressed the place started filling up with people of all ages. Wonderful!!!! Seniors in the city
- Great Resturant!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014We where visiting toronto for the weekend. I had read some reviews about this place and decided to give it a try. Well I'm glad we did. The service was outstanding. When we arrived our table was not ready so they set us up with a seat at the bar. I was very impressed with how fast the bar tender took our order and stayed on top or our drinks when we needed another. As we where waiting for our table the manager had ordered us an appetizer on the house because the party before us was taking longer than expected. We couldnt believe how attentive the staff where. The food was great and throughout our meal everyone was extremely nice and helpful. I would definitely recommend this resturant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above par pub fare, great locationTScanDined on 4/2/2014There is a nice comfortable feel to the place, though I could do without so many tv screens around (though I suspect a lot of their clientele is there to watch sporting events). I have always enjoyed the food here, and this visit did not disappoint. While I order a simple half chicken with veggies, the meal still stood out. The chicken was incredibly moist, and the vegtables were cooked to perfection. My co-dinner got the chicken pot pie, which he said was good, but not great. My biggest issue was that the service was mediocre. I understand if someone is having a bad day, but you should try not to let it show to your clients. Also, we had a large group sitting beside us that were incredibly loud, though not much you can do about that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We lucked outSoulSistersDined on 3/29/2014We just found Blake house while looking thru the binder in our hotel room and we were not disappointed! Excellent and variety of food, huge portions and it wasn't ridiculously expensive. Wished we had found it at the beginning of our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food !joneszDined on 3/29/2014once again the food was great ! sat in the booth by the front door, and got a blast of cold every time the front door opened. but that was minimal. reasonable prices as well, did i mention that the food was great ! oh ya i did ! food was great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy Neighbors but Reasonable FoodSuzyQVIPDined on 3/29/2014This is a nice place - not at all frou frou. Good food - a tiny bit pricey for what you get. We were sitting verrrry close to a verrrrry loud group of overly happy happy hour celebrants. Distracted from the whole experience - could not even converse with our dinner guests and their two small children cowered until the loud folks finally left. Warm decor and decent food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experienceAyamaDined on 3/28/2014It's a small place but they've done a great job of using their space so that we didn't feel crammed while dinning. The menu had an excellent selection at affordable prices. For this kind of place I thought it would have been more expensive so I was happily surprised when I ordered the night's special and it only came out to $18. I really enjoyed the ambiance as well; we went for dinner and it suited the evening perfectly. Thanks to our great server and manager who were very personable and willing to accommodate our unusual requests regarding special packing of our left-overs to make it more convenient for commuting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location - for theatres,dinnerclubDined on 3/25/2014Great location - for theatres, downtown, etc. Public parking right next door and very reasonable for downtown! Varied menu and food was very good with a very friendly and helpful staff. Loved the fireplace at the bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.