The Blacktail Florist
200 - 332 Water St
Vancouver, BC V6B 1B6Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Blacktail Florist
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacktailflorist.ca/
- Phone: 6046990249x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday (5pm-11pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Canadian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Stewart
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from The Blacktail Florist
The Blacktail Florist is located in GastownContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
The Blacktail Florist - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
The Blacktail Florist reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)special occasion (31)neighborhood gem (26)romantic (25)good for groups (19)hot spot (18)great for brunch (10)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (7)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Trendy FoodBillHVIPDined on 9/18/2014Visited on a Thursday night. Had a great server--friendly and quick with suggestions. Menu divided into three sections according to size. We tried the cauliflower soup which was excellent. The raisin purée was a fantastic touch adding great flavor. Entrees were considered a tad mixed--the tomato risotto was considered the winner of the night--rich, creamy with local lobster mushrooms. The steak was least favored as the sauce was considered too strong and bitter for the meat. The chicken and bison tartare were both good. Desserts were tasty and fun; we all enjoyed the deconstructed s'mores greatly. Even came with a smoking plank to give you the feel of camping. The wine list was rather sparse for a restaurant of this quality.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014The cauliflower and apple soup was divine for an almost-fall starter. My steelhead trout on slightly spicy lentils with crispy kale was cooked to perfection and my colleague's chicken dish with corn pudding was reported fabulous. Our waiters were on the job all night, friendly but not in your face. Good suggestions for wine pairing too. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even betterpaulVIPDined on 9/11/2014Flavour. Execution innovation Perhaps the best duck breast in Vancouver Beef short rib to perfection Really good service Brilliant cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening!xsugarhighDined on 9/10/2014The food was quite good, notably the soup and dessert. Our mains were nice and flavorful, but we're Luke warm when served to us. Service was excellent. Our server was knowledgeable, professional, and very enthusiastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Dish of My Life!!!MelMmelVIPDined on 9/7/2014I stumbled upon this restaurant and liked the sign and stayed for dinner. I'm so happy I did! One of the best meals of my life! The head chef is new and cooks the chicken a special way that was like nothing I've eaten before, gorgeous presentation and the best service! BC wine was fantastic as well! Also the s'mores dessert has a real cedar plank to give ambience for the dessert and was unique and amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky Strike!Live2EatDined on 9/4/2014We were looking for a last minute dinner place to take our out of town guests to, and this popped up on my Open Table. We had never heard of it, but thought we'd give it a whirl, and I'm so glad we did. The menu is small, but we all found something we liked, and the food was excellent. And our waitress, although new, was outstanding. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastown gemBirthdaydinnerfor2Dined on 9/3/2014Blacktail Florist has been on my radar for some time and since it was my birthday I said, "Let's do it!" It was a beautiful evening and we sat near the street and the windows were open and it was perfect to look watch the world go by. I had the crispy tofu starter which was delicious. Heirloom salad tasty too. Hubby had the chicken and I had short ribs. Yum yum yum! Hubby's only complaint was that his main course could have been hotter. The limited wine list with only BC wines is the only short fall. Our knowledgable server, Amber, assured us they are increasing the range of wines and will bring in wines from Oregon and Washington soon. BF is a beautiful space and great for a group or a two. Air Canada's EnRoute magazine likes them too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENROUTE SHORTLISTpaulVIPDined on 9/3/2014ON ENROUTES SHORTLIST FOR BEST NEW IN CANADA AND NO WONDER GREAT FOOD CRISP PROFESSIONAL FRIENDLY SERVICE…GREAT COCKTAILS….BRILLIANTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knewpaulVIPDined on 8/28/2014New Chef. Even better food!! Larger more satisfying portions. Great presentation. Wider choice More consistent than before Same great cocktails A gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningDinneroutDined on 8/23/2014Had a great dining experience with my husband. Excellent tasting food, fabulous service. Special touches like champagne for our anniversary as we sat down.Special Features:
- PerfectionCharlesQuebecDined on 8/22/2014The dinner I had with my girlfriend was perfect. Both for the food that we've had, and from the service as well. Amber, the waitress, and Sabrina, her apprenti, were both really nice and had a perfect attitude. Not too friendly, not too snob. The food was perfectly cooked, the tastes were awesome in each plates. I totally recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef, new menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2014We came for the highly acclaimed food and chef. Unfortunately, chef has now departed. Food is boring and quite average. What a shame as it is a beautiful space.
- Pretty coolAlexDined on 8/9/2014Went to the place as it was noted on Notable.com It was pretty good for brunch except when my boyfriend ordered coffee they gave him no sugar, and after he asked for it, they gave him essentially only a thimble full! They were also pretty pushy with ordering. The food was pretty good though! The decor is neat as its all wood and its cool that its off the beat and path of typical Gas Town as only one other couple was there!Special Features:
- STILL BRILLIANTpaulVIPDined on 8/6/2014NOW ON THE ENROUTE BEST NEW RESTAUANT IN CANADA AND DESERVEDLY SO. VERY INNOVATIVE FOOD. NOT EVERYTHING WORKS .THE MUSHROOM CAPS WITH KALE ARE A LITTLE SALTY BUT MUCH OF THE REST ARE BRILLIANT AND THE PRICES ARE EXCELLENT GREAT COCKTAILS AND SUPERIOR SERVICESpecial Features:
- RTseVIPDined on 7/19/2014It's terrific sitting by the window in The Blacktail Florist and watching the Gastown crowds. The food is very good is made in a novel way.Special Features:
- Great food, great spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/17/2014The place has had a great reno from the previous tenant. The food and staff were both great. I had a newly invented gin/rhubarb/lime/thyme/etc cocktail yet to be named and it was sooooo good. Would go back for that alone. It was hard to pick what to eat off the menu because it all looked so good. The knuckle sammy's were recommended and they were awesome. Salmon belly was also great, as was the fried chicken. Had a fancy flower dessert which was very different but good too. Looking forward to trying their brunch menu. All in all a beautiful space with an innovative menu and friendly staff, will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and cool venueCje14Dined on 7/16/2014I had the duck breast and my friends had the lamb shoulder we were all 100% happy and wanted more once the meal was finished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and great service!ernieDined on 7/12/2014I really enjoyed my experience - the food was amazing! From appies to entrees to desserts, my foodie friend and I were absolutely satisfied with what we were presented with. My friend also enjoyed the 100-mile challenge cocktail - hopefully they can win the challenge!Special Features:
- Good shareables and drinksbd604Dined on 7/11/2014Good for shares, or a date. Solid drinks list as well. I found it strange that, despite having a near empty restaurant, they placed my date and I at the table next to one of the only other couples.... Weird. Would recommend, nonetheless.Special Features:
- pulsepounderDined on 7/9/2014Fantastic use of local ingredients and an extremely creative and delicious menu. A modern 100 mile tapas style experience like no other - just let the chef start sending you food and you will be amazed!! This place deserves to be packed and once word gets out it will be.Special Features:
- Great DiscoveryIRobDined on 7/9/2014Great discovery in Gastown, a bit tricky to find the entrance, in that one has to go into the building and do an about face to come back to the restaurant entrance ... I'd suggest something a bit more clear - my dining companions needed to look up to see me in the window to find me! Once in, great food, but variable plate size means one is very reliant on the wait staff for meal size advice ... but the plates come very fast, so one can order a couple things, then a couple more, and it works well that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty spotasbettsDined on 6/27/2014We had the chef use his creative reign and just bring us out a few dishes. The execution was lovely, and everything seemed to be prepared with quality ingredients. All the dishes we had were tasty. The service was a bit spotty at times. We had one cocktail and a bottle of wine. The cocktail was well crafted and tasty, so it seems as though the bartender was in the know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paulVIPDined on 6/27/2014very good reception…cool room and also the bar downstairs…KANAKA….GREAT COCKTAILS…. very friendly efficient staff….BUT THE FOOD IS THE STAR….NOT EVERYTHING IS BRILLIANT…..THE MUSHROOM CAPS CAN BE A LITTLE SALTY…..SOME VERY SOPHISTICATED FOOD WITH GREAT FLAVOUR…..CERTAINLY BBEST NEW IN VANCOUVERSpecial Features:
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Great concept, weak delivery. More scene driven than food driven. Don't recommend.
- paulVIPDined on 6/14/2014some of the best food in Canada!!! similar to Atelier in OTTOWA..winner of GOLDEN PLATES IN 2013 Really professional friendly service. A good wine list could be deepened in range KANAKA….THE beautiful basement bar is excellent for pre and post dinner cocktailsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/13/2014Impressive, well thought out menu. Beautiful, imaginative flavours. Well seasoned and suited our palettes. We enjoyed everything, especially the salmon belly with poprocks! Loved the peas - the lavender & walnuts in it were subtle but the delicate flavours really worked well together. We were served the wrong dessert (from what we ordered) but we decided to take it anyway and what a pleasant and tastey mistake it ended up being! The "Flowery" was not too sweet... Just full of different flavours and textures! We liked that the service was team work oriented as opposed to one dedicated server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAXIMMUMpaulVIPDined on 6/12/2014GREAT COCKTAILS BRILLIANT INTERESTING FOOD SEAMLESS SERVICE WITH REALLY FRIENDLY ATTITUDE AND KNOWLEDGE OF THE DISHES BEING SERVED REALLY GOOD VALUE VIBRANT BAR SCENE IN A GREAT DOWNSTAIRS BAR CALLED KANAKASpecial Features:
- Precious!PreciousDined on 6/6/2014and that's not intended as a compliment. Attempts creative combinations of taste and texture. Left these diners hungry and unsatisfied. Pretentiously small portions and not actually all that tasty. Pretty decor, but the place takes itself way too seriously.Special Features:
- BeautifuljennileemDined on 6/5/2014Beautiful, cool atmosphere and presentation. Lovely palette. Food was great. Felt like I was in 1990's Miami - very refreshing look. Kanaka downstairs is super cool. Friendly staff. Will come back for sure!Special Features:
- Great DinnerMartinDined on 5/30/2014The Blacktail Florist is a hip restaurant in Gastown. The food is "Tapas" in style and presentation, but the menu is definitely Canadian. Great Find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very unique location food and chefScooterGalDined on 5/30/2014The Canadiana aspect of this room is unique. The tapas type presentation was fun and together with the Veg, Fish, and Meat selections made for a good, interesting and delicious experience. We tried lots and the bill was not huge. The explanations of what we were eating made it a fun experience. My friend and I were on small scooters and could not have been treated more graciously. I will tell more, and come back too..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best new in vancouverpaulVIPDined on 5/29/2014small plates…lots of flavour. very good value brilliant cocktails cool room super bar downstairsSpecial Features:
- Gorgeous Room Bad FoodFoodie123Dined on 5/28/2014Checked you out for the first time since you re branded and was really impresssed by the decor - gorgeous! I could stay in that room forever!The service was great, friendly and prompt - but the food.. We started with the stuffed mushrooms caps: salty, burnt mushrooms and the duck looked like raw bacon came the fried chicken: dry, flavorless. It really could have used sauce on the actual chicken. The beignets were also flavorless "Smoked" salmon? An overcooked and oversalted salmon filet, charred leaks and again no sauce to make this dish palatable. Poached egg dumplings: this was the best dish - but best compared to what else we ate.. With all of the new restos in the area - step up your game. I wish you were as good as you look..
- The following 20 reviews are from the The Blacktail Florist reviews archive.
- Make sure to clarifyMrExcessiveDined on 5/22/2014I do really like the Blacktail Florist. There are some things about it that could be much better. I have been there twice and te same hostess has been there each time. When we approach her, she looks at us blankly and asks if she can help us. This is a big pet peeve of mine. If we are approaching a restaurant, it's generally safe to assume that we would like to come in. How about greeting us with a nice hello and ask us if we have reservations. The food at Blacktail Florist is delicious and very creative. It would be good to clarify every item on the menu. Their version of "fried chicken" was wings and lamb shank with cabbage and rice was actually a cabbage roll. When you want a lovely lamb shank, a cabbage roll is a little disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RTseVIPDined on 5/18/2014Blacktail Florist was an incredible find. We sat by the window and were able to look out on the gastown scene. The food was unique and delicious. We loved sharing the appetizer-sized dishes. The staff were very friendly and enthusiastic. I highly recommend Blacktail Florist. We will be going back.Special Features:
- It was okaySocialDinnerVIPDined on 5/17/2014Staff was keen to close and so service was rushed. Never got asked if we wanted to order more drinks.
- Worth a try...BLStyleCoachDined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed our experience, the staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was delish, but the portions could be a bit more generous. The cocktails are innovative and tasty. We'll go back again with friends.Special Features:
- Great foodBruceADined on 5/14/2014Great food plus excellent service made for a very pleasant evening. The servings are tapas style and all a bit different but very tasty. We ordered too much poutine!! We also enjoyed the craft beer on tap...the Pale Ale was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something quite differentPandEDined on 5/13/2014Great meal. Interesting menu that fits somewhere between a tapas approach and the usual 3 course meal - portions somewhere in-between. Well designed mixture of flavors with each dish, including ingredients that you don't see every day like rhubarb. Definitely different and a change from the normal. Good and helpful service. A little hard to find - sign needs a rethink - but don't give up.Special Features:
- So random, so perfect.Eat4FuelDined on 5/11/2014Found this place while looking to order flowers, "you can order flowers to your table?.. Awesome." Though I didn't actually do that. None the less, great reviews and it sounded kinda unique. Brought my 16month old to dinner and Katie and the staff were awesome about it. Not exactly a kid venue, but they put us by the window, super chill, even offered to take the little one for a tour of the kitchen. The staff were great and the food was outstanding... Go for the savory desert, smoked whipped cream? SO GOOD! Amazing inspired and original menu! Who knew pop-rocks on salmon could work? But WOW.... I'll for sure be back! Thanks for a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.