The Blacktail Florist
200 - 332 Water St
Vancouver, BC V6B 1B6Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Blacktail Florist
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacktailflorist.ca/
- Phone: 6046990249x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday (5pm-11pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Canadian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Stewart
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from The Blacktail Florist
The Blacktail Florist is located in GastownContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Blacktail Florist - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
The Blacktail Florist reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)special occasion (27)romantic (26)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (16)good for groups (16)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)scenic view (6)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Perfect eveningDinneroutDined on 8/23/2014Had a great dining experience with my husband. Excellent tasting food, fabulous service. Special touches like champagne for our anniversary as we sat down.Special Features:
- PerfectionCharlesQuebecDined on 8/22/2014The dinner I had with my girlfriend was perfect. Both for the food that we've had, and from the service as well. Amber, the waitress, and Sabrina, her apprenti, were both really nice and had a perfect attitude. Not too friendly, not too snob. The food was perfectly cooked, the tastes were awesome in each plates. I totally recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef, new menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2014We came for the highly acclaimed food and chef. Unfortunately, chef has now departed. Food is boring and quite average. What a shame as it is a beautiful space.
- Pretty coolAlexDined on 8/9/2014Went to the place as it was noted on Notable.com It was pretty good for brunch except when my boyfriend ordered coffee they gave him no sugar, and after he asked for it, they gave him essentially only a thimble full! They were also pretty pushy with ordering. The food was pretty good though! The decor is neat as its all wood and its cool that its off the beat and path of typical Gas Town as only one other couple was there!Special Features:
- STILL BRILLIANTpaulVIPDined on 8/6/2014NOW ON THE ENROUTE BEST NEW RESTAUANT IN CANADA AND DESERVEDLY SO. VERY INNOVATIVE FOOD. NOT EVERYTHING WORKS .THE MUSHROOM CAPS WITH KALE ARE A LITTLE SALTY BUT MUCH OF THE REST ARE BRILLIANT AND THE PRICES ARE EXCELLENT GREAT COCKTAILS AND SUPERIOR SERVICESpecial Features:
- RTseVIPDined on 7/19/2014It's terrific sitting by the window in The Blacktail Florist and watching the Gastown crowds. The food is very good is made in a novel way.Special Features:
- Great food, great spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/17/2014The place has had a great reno from the previous tenant. The food and staff were both great. I had a newly invented gin/rhubarb/lime/thyme/etc cocktail yet to be named and it was sooooo good. Would go back for that alone. It was hard to pick what to eat off the menu because it all looked so good. The knuckle sammy's were recommended and they were awesome. Salmon belly was also great, as was the fried chicken. Had a fancy flower dessert which was very different but good too. Looking forward to trying their brunch menu. All in all a beautiful space with an innovative menu and friendly staff, will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and cool venueCje14Dined on 7/16/2014I had the duck breast and my friends had the lamb shoulder we were all 100% happy and wanted more once the meal was finished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and great service!ernieDined on 7/12/2014I really enjoyed my experience - the food was amazing! From appies to entrees to desserts, my foodie friend and I were absolutely satisfied with what we were presented with. My friend also enjoyed the 100-mile challenge cocktail - hopefully they can win the challenge!Special Features:
- Good shareables and drinksbd604Dined on 7/11/2014Good for shares, or a date. Solid drinks list as well. I found it strange that, despite having a near empty restaurant, they placed my date and I at the table next to one of the only other couples.... Weird. Would recommend, nonetheless.Special Features:
- pulsepounderDined on 7/9/2014Fantastic use of local ingredients and an extremely creative and delicious menu. A modern 100 mile tapas style experience like no other - just let the chef start sending you food and you will be amazed!! This place deserves to be packed and once word gets out it will be.Special Features:
- Great DiscoveryIRobDined on 7/9/2014Great discovery in Gastown, a bit tricky to find the entrance, in that one has to go into the building and do an about face to come back to the restaurant entrance ... I'd suggest something a bit more clear - my dining companions needed to look up to see me in the window to find me! Once in, great food, but variable plate size means one is very reliant on the wait staff for meal size advice ... but the plates come very fast, so one can order a couple things, then a couple more, and it works well that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty spotasbettsDined on 6/27/2014We had the chef use his creative reign and just bring us out a few dishes. The execution was lovely, and everything seemed to be prepared with quality ingredients. All the dishes we had were tasty. The service was a bit spotty at times. We had one cocktail and a bottle of wine. The cocktail was well crafted and tasty, so it seems as though the bartender was in the know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paulVIPDined on 6/27/2014very good reception…cool room and also the bar downstairs…KANAKA….GREAT COCKTAILS…. very friendly efficient staff….BUT THE FOOD IS THE STAR….NOT EVERYTHING IS BRILLIANT…..THE MUSHROOM CAPS CAN BE A LITTLE SALTY…..SOME VERY SOPHISTICATED FOOD WITH GREAT FLAVOUR…..CERTAINLY BBEST NEW IN VANCOUVERSpecial Features:
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Great concept, weak delivery. More scene driven than food driven. Don't recommend.
- paulVIPDined on 6/14/2014some of the best food in Canada!!! similar to Atelier in OTTOWA..winner of GOLDEN PLATES IN 2013 Really professional friendly service. A good wine list could be deepened in range KANAKA….THE beautiful basement bar is excellent for pre and post dinner cocktailsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/13/2014Impressive, well thought out menu. Beautiful, imaginative flavours. Well seasoned and suited our palettes. We enjoyed everything, especially the salmon belly with poprocks! Loved the peas - the lavender & walnuts in it were subtle but the delicate flavours really worked well together. We were served the wrong dessert (from what we ordered) but we decided to take it anyway and what a pleasant and tastey mistake it ended up being! The "Flowery" was not too sweet... Just full of different flavours and textures! We liked that the service was team work oriented as opposed to one dedicated server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAXIMMUMpaulVIPDined on 6/12/2014GREAT COCKTAILS BRILLIANT INTERESTING FOOD SEAMLESS SERVICE WITH REALLY FRIENDLY ATTITUDE AND KNOWLEDGE OF THE DISHES BEING SERVED REALLY GOOD VALUE VIBRANT BAR SCENE IN A GREAT DOWNSTAIRS BAR CALLED KANAKASpecial Features:
- Precious!PreciousDined on 6/6/2014and that's not intended as a compliment. Attempts creative combinations of taste and texture. Left these diners hungry and unsatisfied. Pretentiously small portions and not actually all that tasty. Pretty decor, but the place takes itself way too seriously.Special Features:
- BeautifuljennileemDined on 6/5/2014Beautiful, cool atmosphere and presentation. Lovely palette. Food was great. Felt like I was in 1990's Miami - very refreshing look. Kanaka downstairs is super cool. Friendly staff. Will come back for sure!Special Features:
- Great DinnerMartinDined on 5/30/2014The Blacktail Florist is a hip restaurant in Gastown. The food is "Tapas" in style and presentation, but the menu is definitely Canadian. Great Find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very unique location food and chefScooterGalDined on 5/30/2014The Canadiana aspect of this room is unique. The tapas type presentation was fun and together with the Veg, Fish, and Meat selections made for a good, interesting and delicious experience. We tried lots and the bill was not huge. The explanations of what we were eating made it a fun experience. My friend and I were on small scooters and could not have been treated more graciously. I will tell more, and come back too..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best new in vancouverpaulVIPDined on 5/29/2014small plates…lots of flavour. very good value brilliant cocktails cool room super bar downstairsSpecial Features:
- Gorgeous Room Bad FoodFoodie123Dined on 5/28/2014Checked you out for the first time since you re branded and was really impresssed by the decor - gorgeous! I could stay in that room forever!The service was great, friendly and prompt - but the food.. We started with the stuffed mushrooms caps: salty, burnt mushrooms and the duck looked like raw bacon came the fried chicken: dry, flavorless. It really could have used sauce on the actual chicken. The beignets were also flavorless "Smoked" salmon? An overcooked and oversalted salmon filet, charred leaks and again no sauce to make this dish palatable. Poached egg dumplings: this was the best dish - but best compared to what else we ate.. With all of the new restos in the area - step up your game. I wish you were as good as you look..
- Make sure to clarifyMrExcessiveDined on 5/22/2014I do really like the Blacktail Florist. There are some things about it that could be much better. I have been there twice and te same hostess has been there each time. When we approach her, she looks at us blankly and asks if she can help us. This is a big pet peeve of mine. If we are approaching a restaurant, it's generally safe to assume that we would like to come in. How about greeting us with a nice hello and ask us if we have reservations. The food at Blacktail Florist is delicious and very creative. It would be good to clarify every item on the menu. Their version of "fried chicken" was wings and lamb shank with cabbage and rice was actually a cabbage roll. When you want a lovely lamb shank, a cabbage roll is a little disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RTseVIPDined on 5/18/2014Blacktail Florist was an incredible find. We sat by the window and were able to look out on the gastown scene. The food was unique and delicious. We loved sharing the appetizer-sized dishes. The staff were very friendly and enthusiastic. I highly recommend Blacktail Florist. We will be going back.Special Features:
- It was okaySocialDinnerVIPDined on 5/17/2014Staff was keen to close and so service was rushed. Never got asked if we wanted to order more drinks.
- Worth a try...BLStyleCoachDined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed our experience, the staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was delish, but the portions could be a bit more generous. The cocktails are innovative and tasty. We'll go back again with friends.Special Features:
- Great foodBruceADined on 5/14/2014Great food plus excellent service made for a very pleasant evening. The servings are tapas style and all a bit different but very tasty. We ordered too much poutine!! We also enjoyed the craft beer on tap...the Pale Ale was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something quite differentPandEDined on 5/13/2014Great meal. Interesting menu that fits somewhere between a tapas approach and the usual 3 course meal - portions somewhere in-between. Well designed mixture of flavors with each dish, including ingredients that you don't see every day like rhubarb. Definitely different and a change from the normal. Good and helpful service. A little hard to find - sign needs a rethink - but don't give up.Special Features:
- So random, so perfect.Eat4FuelDined on 5/11/2014Found this place while looking to order flowers, "you can order flowers to your table?.. Awesome." Though I didn't actually do that. None the less, great reviews and it sounded kinda unique. Brought my 16month old to dinner and Katie and the staff were awesome about it. Not exactly a kid venue, but they put us by the window, super chill, even offered to take the little one for a tour of the kitchen. The staff were great and the food was outstanding... Go for the savory desert, smoked whipped cream? SO GOOD! Amazing inspired and original menu! Who knew pop-rocks on salmon could work? But WOW.... I'll for sure be back! Thanks for a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/9/2014The room and service was great, unfortunate about the BC wine list and food was not very good.Special Features:
- best new in vancouverpaulVIPDined on 4/30/2014great interesting food lots of small plates very friendly efficient service reasonable prices great cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 11 reviews are from the The Blacktail Florist reviews archive.
- AmazingDerrillDined on 4/27/2014A small, but very well thought out menu. Small bites of amazing flavours. Everything was wonderful, but oh the desserts! Order the chocolate and the flowers....the flowers dessert may be the best dessert in the city.Special Features:
- Amazing team serviceBoltUprightDined on 4/26/2014Our dinner was excellent (we asked our server to select dishes for us and she did a great job - giving us variety and the ideal quantity); but the highlight was the service - a seamless team brought us food, wine, water and information. A great meal, great experience and at a very reasonable price - we'll be backSpecial Features:
- best new in vancouverpaulVIPDined on 4/25/2014really interesting food reasonable prices great bar scene could be new york of LASpecial Features:
- We left hungry!FrancesDined on 4/25/2014My friend and I ate here on Friday, and while we had a wonderful time and enjoyed the lovely food, service and ambiance, we spent about $120 for the two of us - that included two glasses of wine each, a few appetizers, mains, sides and dessert (plus well deserved tip). That would have been ok if we left feeling full and satisfied, but we were both hungry when we got home! The mushroom cap dish especially was so tiny we were laughing in disbelief! The food is indeed delicious and interesting, but I don't think I'll be back for what it cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodYummyDined on 4/24/2014Portions are small but food was amazing. Can't wait to come backSpecial Features:
- paulVIPDined on 4/17/2014Really interesting food. Reasonable prices. Great bar scene. The best new restaurant in VancouverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lil Gastown GemLouisa007VIPDined on 4/17/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our visit to this restaurant from the polite hostesses to the great servers and excellent food. Wonderful small plates, all very uniquely prepared. Refreshing - nice looking clientele - thought we were in San Fran or Chicago. Will be back for sure.Special Features: