The Blacktail Florist
200 - 332 Water St
Vancouver, BC V6B 1B6Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Blacktail Florist
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacktailflorist.ca/
- Phone: (604) 699-0249
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday (5pm-11pm), Thursday - Saturday (5pm-12am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Canadian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Geoff Rogers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from The Blacktail Florist
The Blacktail Florist is located in GastownContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
The Blacktail Florist - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
The Blacktail Florist reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (22)good for groups (21)romantic (20)hot spot (18)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (6)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Interesting but wouldn't go backKdaiDined on 11/7/2014Was celebrating a very special night with my husband here as we wanted to try something new. The menu was interesting but the service was some if the weirdest and worst I've had (I've worked in the restaurant industry for many years). Our server was disinterested and non existent. I don't usually care about bad service but this was a bit ridiculous. The hostess who came to check on us took our order in the end and she was nice. The tofu was bland, tuna and pork was okay but lacking something again, the short ribs were good though. My drink was delicious but filled only half the glass, so two sips and it was gone. Overall, it's way too expensive, and a bit too spotty in service and food for me. I wouldn't go back or recommend it.Special Features:
- Great spaceMellowDined on 11/7/2014Cool space. Great food. A welcome addition to the hipster vibe of gastown.Special Features:
- Noisy, sterile, under trained staffFoodMavenDined on 11/7/2014The front of house at this restaurant is truly a disaster. Not only was the music blasting it was completely inappropriate for a dining experience. It would have been great if we were there to dance and eat nachos. We asked to have the music turned down twice, it wasn't. The server was clearly under trained, she removed my date's appetizer from the table before he had finished eating it and she made the classic mistake when asked about the food of making something up when she didn't know the correct answer and she had a really quiet voice. The decor feel like a souped up MacDonalds, all hard surfaces, even the chairs which makes the the whole place even louder. The food was really good which is too bad because I'll never eat it again.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedjpinscDined on 10/24/2014First visit to Vancouver and came across this restaurant on open table. The food was excellent- really delicious flavored and beatiful presentation. Only complaint is that the food wasn't very hot throughout. It was sort of lukewarm which was disappointing. And, not a very big wine selection at all. Aside from those two set backs, it was good overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EvieDined on 10/11/2014Blackmail Florist in Gastown was a great experience. The food was excellent and the service was attentive but not at all stuffy short reasonably priced wine list with BC offerings. We were 4 and ordered a number of plates to share, which worked well. Warm, minimalist, very comfortable room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- girls night out!Feedm3Dined on 10/9/2014First time dining at this restuarant and I can't wait to be back! Cocktails were nicely crafted. I had the wallflower, it had fresh scents of grapefruit and floral notes. To share we got the artisans cheese platter. For the entrée I ordered the scallops. It was the best scallops I've had in Vancouver! The service was warm and friendly. I appreciated that the server asked if either of us had any allergies so she could let the kitchen know. Overall experience was enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST IN VANCOUVERpaulVIPDined on 10/6/2014CHEF GEOFF ROGERS IS IN FULL FLIGHT NOW. BISON TARTAR SUPER GNUDI….GNOCCI HIS WAY….THE BEST DUCK BREAST IN THE CITY BRILLIANT COCKTAILS FROM ARTHUR AND THE DEDICATED COCKTAIL BAR KANAKA IN FULL SWING. PRICES ARE VERY REASONABLE PARK ON CORDOVASpecial Features:
- Great as alwaysLive2EatDined on 10/4/2014This was our third visit, once as a quiet romantic dinner date, and twice while entertaining out of town guests. The food is consistently excellent, and the service is the same. Highly recommended: Chicken & Waffles, Short Rib, Duck breast and the SalmonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST NEW IN CANADApaulVIPDined on 9/27/2014NOMINATED FOR ENROUTES BEST NEW IN CANADA AND NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND WHY. A FANTASTIC ROOM VERY GOOD SERVICE AND REALLY INTERESTING FOOD…..A SUPERB CAULIFLOWER SOUP….BISON TARTAR….SUPERB SCALLOPS ONE OF THE BEST YOUNGER CHEFS IN THE COUNTRY PS I FORGOT THE BRILLIANT COCKTAILSSpecial Features:
- Quiet night out?KaiserofjerichoDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I decided to try blacktail florist. Online menu looked promising. Quiet for Thurs in Gastown, but initial impression was favourable. Seat by the window, chairs were comfortable...more than can be said for some other gastown eateries. Food was good but inconsistent. Fried tofu was v good, gnudi was good. Chicken main v moist/tasty & short ribs nicely done. Dessert experience similar, enjoyed one dish & not the other. They're so close to getting it right, but have local competition that is - eg Wildebeest & Tuc. Music was schizophrenic at best. Ok start & then a string of 50's tunes (think Olivia Newton John - Grease). We mentioned it, got spa music that put us to sleep. Will go back & give them another go. An off night?Special Features:
- Still a hidden gem!liz272VIPDined on 9/19/2014This is my 5th time at the Blacktail Florist and it has never disappointed. The menu is changing to suit the season and is always unique and special. This time, we had the cheese board (basically licked clean), the short rib (beyond amazing and fall-apart tender), and the gnudi (pasta dumplings sounds bland, but definitely not here). Dessert was a deconstructed s'mores dish that was a rather large portion. Try the cedar cocktail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacestresslowDined on 9/19/2014Interesting place, great food. It's an good location with a slightly strange entrance but otherwise good vide inside.Special Features:
- New chef- great menu!mynameismissDined on 9/19/2014Great new paired down menu. The chicken and waffles was amazing as was the bison tartar. Each dish was artfully presented and delicious! Great ambiance and the server was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy FoodBillHVIPDined on 9/18/2014Visited on a Thursday night. Had a great server--friendly and quick with suggestions. Menu divided into three sections according to size. We tried the cauliflower soup which was excellent. The raisin purée was a fantastic touch adding great flavor. Entrees were considered a tad mixed--the tomato risotto was considered the winner of the night--rich, creamy with local lobster mushrooms. The steak was least favored as the sauce was considered too strong and bitter for the meat. The chicken and bison tartare were both good. Desserts were tasty and fun; we all enjoyed the deconstructed s'mores greatly. Even came with a smoking plank to give you the feel of camping. The wine list was rather sparse for a restaurant of this quality.Special Features:
- InterestingJessicaDined on 9/17/2014Food- presentation is good, taste good. But I think I had high expectation on the food, so I was not super impressed with food with it's taste. Everything is made fresh, so expect for long wait for the food. Expecting a long meal; service was frienly, environment was nice; defnintely worth of a go.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014The cauliflower and apple soup was divine for an almost-fall starter. My steelhead trout on slightly spicy lentils with crispy kale was cooked to perfection and my colleague's chicken dish with corn pudding was reported fabulous. Our waiters were on the job all night, friendly but not in your face. Good suggestions for wine pairing too. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even betterpaulVIPDined on 9/11/2014Flavour. Execution innovation Perhaps the best duck breast in Vancouver Beef short rib to perfection Really good service Brilliant cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening!xsugarhighDined on 9/10/2014The food was quite good, notably the soup and dessert. Our mains were nice and flavorful, but we're Luke warm when served to us. Service was excellent. Our server was knowledgeable, professional, and very enthusiastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Dish of My Life!!!MelMmelVIPDined on 9/7/2014I stumbled upon this restaurant and liked the sign and stayed for dinner. I'm so happy I did! One of the best meals of my life! The head chef is new and cooks the chicken a special way that was like nothing I've eaten before, gorgeous presentation and the best service! BC wine was fantastic as well! Also the s'mores dessert has a real cedar plank to give ambience for the dessert and was unique and amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky Strike!Live2EatDined on 9/4/2014We were looking for a last minute dinner place to take our out of town guests to, and this popped up on my Open Table. We had never heard of it, but thought we'd give it a whirl, and I'm so glad we did. The menu is small, but we all found something we liked, and the food was excellent. And our waitress, although new, was outstanding. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastown gemBirthdaydinnerfor2Dined on 9/3/2014Blacktail Florist has been on my radar for some time and since it was my birthday I said, "Let's do it!" It was a beautiful evening and we sat near the street and the windows were open and it was perfect to look watch the world go by. I had the crispy tofu starter which was delicious. Heirloom salad tasty too. Hubby had the chicken and I had short ribs. Yum yum yum! Hubby's only complaint was that his main course could have been hotter. The limited wine list with only BC wines is the only short fall. Our knowledgable server, Amber, assured us they are increasing the range of wines and will bring in wines from Oregon and Washington soon. BF is a beautiful space and great for a group or a two. Air Canada's EnRoute magazine likes them too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENROUTE SHORTLISTpaulVIPDined on 9/3/2014ON ENROUTES SHORTLIST FOR BEST NEW IN CANADA AND NO WONDER GREAT FOOD CRISP PROFESSIONAL FRIENDLY SERVICE…GREAT COCKTAILS….BRILLIANTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knewpaulVIPDined on 8/28/2014New Chef. Even better food!! Larger more satisfying portions. Great presentation. Wider choice More consistent than before Same great cocktails A gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningDinneroutDined on 8/23/2014Had a great dining experience with my husband. Excellent tasting food, fabulous service. Special touches like champagne for our anniversary as we sat down.Special Features:
- PerfectionCharlesQuebecDined on 8/22/2014The dinner I had with my girlfriend was perfect. Both for the food that we've had, and from the service as well. Amber, the waitress, and Sabrina, her apprenti, were both really nice and had a perfect attitude. Not too friendly, not too snob. The food was perfectly cooked, the tastes were awesome in each plates. I totally recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef, new menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2014We came for the highly acclaimed food and chef. Unfortunately, chef has now departed. Food is boring and quite average. What a shame as it is a beautiful space.
- Pretty coolAlexDined on 8/9/2014Went to the place as it was noted on Notable.com It was pretty good for brunch except when my boyfriend ordered coffee they gave him no sugar, and after he asked for it, they gave him essentially only a thimble full! They were also pretty pushy with ordering. The food was pretty good though! The decor is neat as its all wood and its cool that its off the beat and path of typical Gas Town as only one other couple was there!Special Features:
- STILL BRILLIANTpaulVIPDined on 8/6/2014NOW ON THE ENROUTE BEST NEW RESTAUANT IN CANADA AND DESERVEDLY SO. VERY INNOVATIVE FOOD. NOT EVERYTHING WORKS .THE MUSHROOM CAPS WITH KALE ARE A LITTLE SALTY BUT MUCH OF THE REST ARE BRILLIANT AND THE PRICES ARE EXCELLENT GREAT COCKTAILS AND SUPERIOR SERVICESpecial Features:
- The following 39 reviews are from the The Blacktail Florist reviews archive.
- RTseVIPDined on 7/19/2014It's terrific sitting by the window in The Blacktail Florist and watching the Gastown crowds. The food is very good is made in a novel way.Special Features:
- Great food, great spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/17/2014The place has had a great reno from the previous tenant. The food and staff were both great. I had a newly invented gin/rhubarb/lime/thyme/etc cocktail yet to be named and it was sooooo good. Would go back for that alone. It was hard to pick what to eat off the menu because it all looked so good. The knuckle sammy's were recommended and they were awesome. Salmon belly was also great, as was the fried chicken. Had a fancy flower dessert which was very different but good too. Looking forward to trying their brunch menu. All in all a beautiful space with an innovative menu and friendly staff, will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and cool venueCje14Dined on 7/16/2014I had the duck breast and my friends had the lamb shoulder we were all 100% happy and wanted more once the meal was finished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and great service!ernieDined on 7/12/2014I really enjoyed my experience - the food was amazing! From appies to entrees to desserts, my foodie friend and I were absolutely satisfied with what we were presented with. My friend also enjoyed the 100-mile challenge cocktail - hopefully they can win the challenge!Special Features:
- Good shareables and drinksbd604Dined on 7/11/2014Good for shares, or a date. Solid drinks list as well. I found it strange that, despite having a near empty restaurant, they placed my date and I at the table next to one of the only other couples.... Weird. Would recommend, nonetheless.Special Features:
- pulsepounderDined on 7/9/2014Fantastic use of local ingredients and an extremely creative and delicious menu. A modern 100 mile tapas style experience like no other - just let the chef start sending you food and you will be amazed!! This place deserves to be packed and once word gets out it will be.Special Features:
- Great DiscoveryIRobDined on 7/9/2014Great discovery in Gastown, a bit tricky to find the entrance, in that one has to go into the building and do an about face to come back to the restaurant entrance ... I'd suggest something a bit more clear - my dining companions needed to look up to see me in the window to find me! Once in, great food, but variable plate size means one is very reliant on the wait staff for meal size advice ... but the plates come very fast, so one can order a couple things, then a couple more, and it works well that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty spotasbettsVIPDined on 6/27/2014We had the chef use his creative reign and just bring us out a few dishes. The execution was lovely, and everything seemed to be prepared with quality ingredients. All the dishes we had were tasty. The service was a bit spotty at times. We had one cocktail and a bottle of wine. The cocktail was well crafted and tasty, so it seems as though the bartender was in the know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paulVIPDined on 6/27/2014very good reception…cool room and also the bar downstairs…KANAKA….GREAT COCKTAILS…. very friendly efficient staff….BUT THE FOOD IS THE STAR….NOT EVERYTHING IS BRILLIANT…..THE MUSHROOM CAPS CAN BE A LITTLE SALTY…..SOME VERY SOPHISTICATED FOOD WITH GREAT FLAVOUR…..CERTAINLY BBEST NEW IN VANCOUVERSpecial Features:
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Great concept, weak delivery. More scene driven than food driven. Don't recommend.
- paulVIPDined on 6/14/2014some of the best food in Canada!!! similar to Atelier in OTTOWA..winner of GOLDEN PLATES IN 2013 Really professional friendly service. A good wine list could be deepened in range KANAKA….THE beautiful basement bar is excellent for pre and post dinner cocktailsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/13/2014Impressive, well thought out menu. Beautiful, imaginative flavours. Well seasoned and suited our palettes. We enjoyed everything, especially the salmon belly with poprocks! Loved the peas - the lavender & walnuts in it were subtle but the delicate flavours really worked well together. We were served the wrong dessert (from what we ordered) but we decided to take it anyway and what a pleasant and tastey mistake it ended up being! The "Flowery" was not too sweet... Just full of different flavours and textures! We liked that the service was team work oriented as opposed to one dedicated server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.