The Black Sheep Restaurant At The Kendall Hotel
350 Main Street
Cambridge, MA 02142Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Black Sheep Restaurant At The Kendall Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kendallhotel.com/dining-events
- Phone: 6175771300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Black Sheep Restaurant At The Kendall Hotel
Situated in the lobby of the historic Kendall Hotel, the Black Sheep Restaurant is dedicated to the building’s past as a Victorian firehouse and to fine dining in Cambridge, Mass. The firefighters of Engine 7 considered themselves the “black sheep” of the Cambridge Fire Department, and the Kendall honors their memory with our restaurant. The menu offers daily selections created by our chef using organic and locally grown produce. Our cozy dining room creates a welcoming atmosphere, with a menu offering both classic and innovative American home-style cooking. Our philosophy is simple: purchase the finest and freshest ingredients and let the food absorb them. We offer a full bar and specialize in a selection of locally brewed beers and selected wines from wineries around the United States.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Black Sheep Restaurant At The Kendall Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (18)great for lunch (16)fit for foodies (10)romantic (4)notable wine list (4)special occasion (3)good for groups (3)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Small menu, well doneCacaDined on 9/12/2014Tiny dinning room with short menu, but everything we ordered was great. Selection is the basics, nothing exotic. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Noisy but goodRichDined on 9/11/2014For four people lunch we had soups (chili, tomato) salads (cob, green) and a sandwich (tuna melt). All dishes were very good ( I tasted all). The bread in my sandwich was truly excellent. Our portions and those of other patrons were huge. I consider it a negative. You may want to order 1/2 or split a dish. Staff was accommodating and helpful and doing a good job, including enticing us to dessert menu. We resisted. At 12:30 the place was packed and very noisy, by 1:30 it was deserted. Delay your lunch if you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first time visitbakster21Dined on 9/6/2014Thought the ambiance and overall setup for the restaurant was great, and my veggie burger was well prepared. The salads are a bit expensive, though, for the price. Will try something new next time!I would recommend this to a friend.
- FMCHAPVIPDined on 8/28/2014Food was surprisingly good. The restaurant is open to the street level, so the street noise is very obvious. While I enjoy the openness of the restaurant, you can't help but notice the gas exhaust from the passerby vehicles. The wait staff was very friendly and helpful. While the hotel entrance used to be an old fire station, the restaurant is nicely decorated and only a few memorabilia that give you the hint of its past.Special Features:
- Black SheepLynnDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant was small, only about 7-8 tables inside and maybe 3 outside. And the tables were very close together. My husband and I had a hard time carrying on a conversation because we were between two tables of talkative people. We heard every word of their conversations without trying (or even wanting to!) The food was good, the service was good, but I personally wouldn't go out of my way to go to this restaurant. If you are staying nearby, or better yet, in the hotel (the restaurant is in the hotel lobby), then by all means, eat there.Special Features:
- Wonderful discoveryHungrymamaDined on 8/22/2014What a find- right under our noses! The service and meal could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian-friendly!MontomarVIPDined on 8/15/2014Most restaurants don't offer many vegetarian options aside from the typical salads, but not Black Sheep. They have an amazing selection. Don't worry if you're not vegetarian, you'll find delicious items as well. The sandwiches and burgers should be noted as "big mouth".Special Features:
- Entree was great.scrappyincDined on 8/2/2014The special ravioli entree was very good, however, the calamari was a little bland and the bread not to our taste. Also the cocktail I ordered was a little too sweet, although our server promptly made another one and brought it over as I think she may have over heard us discussing it. The restaurant was a little too open to the hotel lobby, could do with some glass enclosure on the hotel side, and was very quiet as there was no one there on a Saturday night, although a few people did trickle in a little later. I would think that's just Kendall as a location so would probably be much better during a work week lunch hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014Hotel restaurants seem to get a bad rap, seems like a high percentage have poor patronage and so it was here as we were the only ones in the dining room for most of our meal. People in busy Kendall Square are missing a neighborhood gem, the service attention was great, the food was great, loved the quesadilla starter, my wife had the 8 oz filet- very tender and the salmon was also good. Conversation was-well easy, though the tables are very close together and if this place gets the attention it should it could get very hard to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchDityVIPDined on 7/23/2014Black Sheep has a great lunch...a nice selection of sandwiches and salads. Portions are large. I had the soup and salad combo. The cihili was excellent and the cobb salad was very good, I would have liked a little more lettuce and less of the bacon, tomatoes, eggs etc but it was very tasty and not overdressed. My friend had a chicken sandwich that was reported to be really good. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014I highly recommend the Cobb salad here....great presentation and delicious. Ate outside on a Friday early afternoon (had a reservation) and it was quite nice...just a little noisy at times from the street ---occasional honking and what-have-you. The service was good. I will definitely be going back to the Black Sheep and the Kendall Hotel looked intriguing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicoleDined on 7/5/2014Beautiful outdoor dining area. Delicious local cuisine with wonderful serviceSpecial Features:
- fancierDined on 7/2/2014I've eaten here several times and always the food and service are fine but the noise level is horrid. this may be the last time. We could not converse at all!Special Features:
- Nice place in the heart of KendallHmh238VIPDined on 6/21/2014The crab cakes were amazing! Everything was served timely and fresh. Both the filet and the salmon were tasty.Special Features:
- A nice spot for dinnerEAshleyDined on 6/16/2014Sophistocated kept simple was the tag line and it translated to a not too expansive menu of very nice entres. Everyone's meal was well prepared and presented. It made for a very pleasant dinner. Oh and my martini was supurb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealtable4twoVIPDined on 6/7/2014What a wonderful find! We enjoyed dining outside, did not find the traffic noise to be a problem. Our server was attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 148 reviews are from the The Black Sheep Restaurant At The Kendall Hotel reviews archive.
- Nice Surprise.letseatoutVIPDined on 5/21/2014I had had o.k. lunches here a number of times, but when I was looking for a less crowded place to meet colleagues for dinner, I decided to give it a chance. We were quite pleasantly surprised. The dinner menu, while not extensive, contained several appetizing choices. Two of our party had the special rib eye steak; both steaks were cooked perfectly to order and were flavorful and juicy. The roasted cod with mashed potatoes and asparagus was beautifully done and delicious! An intriguing and generous-portion kale salad was also a hit. All the dishes were artfully plated. The only negative is that we wish we had been informed that the poached pear desserts would take as long as they did and that they would come with a thick caramel sauce.Special Features:
- LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT VISITHfrayVIPDined on 5/19/2014I have been to The Black Sheep Restaurant several times for lunch, but it has been some time since going for dinner. My niece treated me to dinner. This was her first visit. We were not disappointed. Happy about that, especially since she was paying. I will return, and also recommend this place to friends.Special Features:
- best food ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/17/2014The food was very nice and elegant and the waitress was very nice.Special Features:
- Understated and Quiete46iVIPDined on 5/10/2014The dining area is small, appropriate for a boutique hotel; it was very quiet. The menu offered surprising variety, and the food was excellent, obviously prepared by an experienced chef with flair. The service was prompt and very attentive. I liked being able to see Main Street outside the window; I could imagine what it would look like with snow falling. Very enjoyable dining experience, and we plan to return in the future.Special Features:
- nice place but call first if veggieLocalpatronVIPDined on 5/10/2014We stayed at the Kendall and read good reviews about its restaurant, the Black Sheep, plus thought the online menu looked good, so we had dinner there. The waitress was friendly, the atmosphere was nice, and the food was good. But, there were very few vegetarian main course options, although there are appetizers and salads. The online menu showed more veggie options than there actually were that day, because it listed veggie soups & pastas that are really daily specials. The day we dined both soups and the pasta had meat in them, so our choices were limited to "kale bowl with meat left out" or "veggie burger." The veggie burger was tasty, but not quite what we had in mind for a nice meal out. The chocolate lava cake was average.Special Features:
- Always reliableMiltonPickyEaterDined on 5/7/2014Good solid food and great service. My go to for business lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Black Sheep: A Good Local FinddaisyDined on 5/1/2014We were very pleased with our dining experience at the Black Sheep, a newish restaurant in the lobby of the Kendall Hotel in Cambridge. The food is very good and the atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable. We are vegetarians and were happy to find many options to choose from. We had the crab cake appetizer, the seared cod, and the kale salad with blackened salmon -- all were excellent. The bread basket served with truffle oil was a nice, unexpected treat and the red wine was also very good. Attentive service, pleasant atmosphere, and tasty food: in all, a restaurant we would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't let the location fool youBarakbDined on 4/24/2014Black sheep is just a few (~10) tables in the fenced off area in the lobby of the Kendall Hotel. It might be hard to believe that they have some of the best food and service in Kendall Square, but they do. I have eaten there a few times and have never been disappointed. Wine list is creative and well chosen. Deserts are great too. Servers are beyond knowledgable and take pride in great service and great food. What more can you want. A place for a foodie dinner, lunch is simpler and accessable but still very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CAandMAVIPDined on 4/23/2014Excellent lunch spot in Kendall Square with interesting salads and sandwiches, homemade potato chips. Service is always friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We could HEAR each other!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/18/2014We chose to have a family dinner here because some of us are vegan/vegetarian, and some of us have food allergies, and the options seemed quite good despite the rather small menu. Everyone was happy. Best of all, the six of us ended up by ourselves in a private room, where we were able to talk around the table in a way that would have been impossible in any restaurant because there's always so much noise. The food and wine were very good, with some flexibility from the kitchen to accommodate our food issues. Our server was very attentive and friendly, and we had a really nice time. We'll definitely be back, hoping once again for that quiet little room.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/14/2014very consistent food, Atmosphere is warm and homey with the seating area attached to the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be back.carlickVIPDined on 4/14/2014Traveling in Boston/Cambridge, we picked this restaurant through OpenTable reviews. They were good, positive, and we found, understatements. A very warm small, intimate setting, and charming staff. The menu items were all appealing to us; the dishes we tried were exceptional combinations of quality ingredients, skilled preparation, and inventive recipes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!MichDined on 4/12/2014This was our first time dining at black sheep and it was great! We were able to sit outside on the patio and enjoy the night air. The food was beautifully presented and the portions left us feeling satisfied, not stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We savored our Filet Mignon,OpTabVIPVIPDined on 4/10/2014We savored our Filet Mignon, Haddock, and special order Penne Pasta tonight! Love this place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- closed for renovationRJonesDined on 3/7/2014They were closed and instead of telling open table they were not taking any reservations, they took mineSpecial Features:
- Breakfast vs Dinner is... Night&DayFrenchieVIPDined on 2/26/2014We really enjoy the atmosphere and decoration at the Black Sheep. Their breakfast buffet inside the hotel is a gem in my opinion, it's very affordable, especially for a buffet! We went to dinner a couple of times at night, because it was the only restaurant open relatively late, and we remember our good experience for breakfast. Unfortunately, the portions were very small, and extremely pricey. Though the food was very good, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, not great small restaurant.CityEaterVIPDined on 2/20/2014The Black Sheep is a cute little hotel restaurant, but isn't a place I'd make special plans to visit. The food was all solid, but nothing outstanding. The menu is limited, but the dishes cover the basics of steak, fish and pasta. We had the calamari starter, which was crispy and tasty. We didn't have desert. The service was pretty slow and not overly friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another awesome dinner withOpTabVIPVIPDined on 2/20/2014Another awesome dinner with Marina as our server. Juicy steak, and tasty Cod.
- Solid food, great staffMatthewDined on 2/15/2014Enjoyed a romantic night out in their quiet, half-full dining room on a snowy Saturday evening. Brought home half the $12 goat cheese appetizer, as that plus their bread basket is plenty for two people to start on. We enjoyed both entrees (veggie burger and scallop plate) and they have a good wine selection, but there's room for improvement in their Old Fashioned, which was quite tart (not sure they muddled enough sugar). Overall good experience and would go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Special Valentine's Day LunchemberDined on 2/14/2014Food, service and atmosphere were excellent. Not our first, nor will it be our last meal at The Black Sheep!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findGr8FoodDined on 2/11/2014Had business meeting for 5 over lunch. They seated us in nice back room that has two group-sized tables. Place is a former Fire House with all the memorabilia fully in tact. Service was top-notch and food was delectable! Chopped Kale with fresh salmon was superb. Great find. Will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service but good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/7/2014The service was very slow, but once the food and drinks came they were very good. If you have time, this could be a good alternative to your usual restaurants.Special Features:
- Scrumptious scallops, super servicesmileyDined on 2/4/2014Had a fine experience on first visit, went back about a month later. Comfortable seating, warm surroundings. Only about 8 tables. Started with the cheese plate, nice selection accompanied by fresh grapes, crackers, and jam. I opted for scallops, large, perfectly done, expertly seasoned, wild rice on the side. Friend had the rice bowl with blackened salmon, she said it was yummy. Wine selection limited but reasonably priced. Service attentive and pleasant on both occasions. Right next to Kendall T. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is quite small, only aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2014It is quite small, only about 10 tables and it is in the lobby of the hotel. The service was very good and the food was tasty. They were very accommodating with my picky child. We were all very happy at the end of the meal (even the picky eater).Special Features: