The Black Pearl
302 S Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Black Pearl
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blackpearlonmain.com/
- Phone: 7342220400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch (During Patio Season)- Saturdays & Sundays: Noon - 5:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Russ Culp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment every Wednesday Night from 6:30-9:30.
- Special Events: The Black Pearl is equipped with presentation capabilities and is very suitable for private events. For a unique reception, social or corporate event, we offer the possibility of an exclusive buyout of the restaurant. For parties of 30 or more, the room fee will be waved. Please contact our Event Coordinator Jan Z. Cohen for more information: 734-395-8858. We welcome the opportunity to serve you!
A word from The Black Pearl
The Black Pearl is an upscale seafood and martini bar with a very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. Our food and service is some of the best you will find in all of Ann Arbor. We have an extensive martini, beer and wine menu, a little something for everyone. Our guests range from executives to students and everyone in between. We offer food and drink specials daily and weekly. We here at the Black Pearl welcome the chance to show our guests a wonderful evening or appetizers and drinks after a show. Our best kept secret are our Fish Tacos. Award winning and simply the best you will ever have!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Black Pearl - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
The Black Pearl reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (46)fit for foodies (35)vibrant bar scene (31)special occasion (27)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (23)romantic (22)late-night find (21)good for groups (18)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (7)scenic view (5)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- AveragelbkerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Fish tacos are breaded but tasty in a corn soft taco not my favorite. The special was a fish very thin breaded fillet making it dry. Potatoes were tasty and a nice martini.
- Great Food n DrinksBunchDined on 8/21/2014Great selection of martinis and wine. The food had amazing flavor. Had the salmon delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B'day celebrationBethDined on 8/19/20145 ladies celebrated a friend's birthday here. 4 of them had the fish tacos which they loved and I had the scallop salad which was equally delicious. We tried a few of the specialty cocktails. They were very tasty. Our waitress was great. The birthday cheesecake was outstanding! Excellent meal and celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rivermavenDined on 8/15/2014The food is consistently great. Love the ambiance too...but the best thing about the place is the staff. They are friendly and acknowledge that you have been there before. We always have a glass of wine in hand within a few minutes and feel like they genuinely try to make the time there enjoyable and efficient... one of our favorites!Special Features:
- Overall fantastic!MmmMmmGoodDined on 8/9/2014This was a repeat visit within one week of my first visit. The St Gin martini is just so tasty. I love elderflower liquor. We are new in town and I wanted a grow up dining experience for my birthday at a place I knew was accepting of me bringing my 2.5 and 4 year old daughters. The food was all fantastic-again and Jackie was fantastic with engaging my girls. Management was working really hard sweating and training food runners yet we got to tell him how awesome Jackie was when he brought out our food. She gave them "special" styrofoam cups and cocktail forks to eat and kept the olives coming at their every request. She really made my dining experience relaxed and fun for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awsome experiencebrownsugarDined on 8/8/2014Great for girls night out, great food. awesome service and amazing wine serversSpecial Features:
- DandWDined on 8/8/2014The fish tacos are terrific even tho they were a little on the spicy side. The 2 martinis I tried were deelish. My husband's pasta dish also good tho a little heavy on the butter. This is our 3rd time there and we'll keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodblueDined on 8/3/2014The fish tacos and the coconut shrimp are worth the trip from Detroit. The happy hour menu offers a great deal on these and other small plate items after 8:00pm.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerscottyDined on 8/2/2014Went there for a special anniversary dinner. Fantastic place, had a table by the window and got to watch a lot of people walking by while enjoying delicious drinks. Get the fish tacos, they are well-priced and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Saturday night with friendsACDCDined on 7/25/2014We LOVE this restaurant! Keep going back for the small plates and the service. Tofu entree a little disappointing but...not vegetarians so no big deal. Sat outside, not rushed away after dinner and sat for a long time and enjoyed our friends, conversation and the entire evening. Love the manager/owner/boss who keeps his eyes on everyone's experience. LOVE that/him! Wait staff excellent from hostess on her first day to bartender to waiters. Thank you and will be back soon for that chowda'!Special Features:
- Creative dishesAlmaDined on 7/12/2014A great place to dine outdoors. The inside is busy and a little dark.Special Features:
- A Slip in QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014Food was a disappointment after previous positive dining visits. Salad lettuce was poor quality and fish over cooked. Think we'll be taking a break from this establishment for a while. There are plenty of other fine downtown AA establishments.
- Loved happy hour!blackpearlDined on 7/10/2014We feasted on delicious small plates and drank flavorful martinis. The staff was delightful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/6/2014Unusual night at the Black Pearl. Sleepy July weekend, not crowded. So why was the service so slow? Food at it's usual very good level. Great place to sit and watch the world go by on Main Street A2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!Bates2014Dined on 7/3/2014Fantastic place to eat, the food was outstanding and our waiter was awesome!Special Features:
- Good food and very good musicChrisDined on 7/1/2014We went to Black Pearl to see Laith All Saadi playing the guitar. He is a very talent local Ann Arbor musician. That night we have eaten the fish tortillas we have tried on Tasting of Ann Arbor. Delicious! The service was so so. Polite but slow. I could not understand the logic: why one person take your order, a second one delivery it and a third one pick up the empty dishes...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itkat2468Dined on 6/25/2014Visited for the first time for restaurant week and I have to say that the martinis are AMAZING! My date got the calamari for an appetizer and the skirt steak with mashed potatoes and asparagus for the entree. We both really liked his food, and the steak was cooked really well (we requested medium). I got the eggplant enchilada and the kale side salad, as well as the watermelon gazpacho. I loved the gazpacho and the eggplant enchilada was okay. I thought the sauce on it was a little bland, but that could also be because my Lychee martini was so overpowering ;)Special Features:
- Food was meh and my order was wrongLoriDined on 6/22/2014Order was initially wrong so they got me a new one. It was restaurant week in Ann Arbor so I expected their food to be prepared and ready to go, but we still had to wait 45 min to get our food. Other restaurants have much faster service. The food was meh too, didn't taste bad but wasn't amazing either.
- For the love of fish tacosSmallgalbigappetiteDined on 6/22/2014Date night is a good night no matter where we go, but it is a great night when we go to Black Pearl. The Martinis (that just autocorrected to mama drinks...accurate) are delicious and worth the price of a movie ticket. And I can't order anything else but the fish tacos. I just won't stray. I advise that you do the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patchy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I have dined at the Black Pearl several times and have always been impressed with the service. However, this most recent time was disappointing. The server seemed to forget about us and we had to ask the maitre d' several times to help us.Special Features:
- Fantastic birthday spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2014Had a group of 5 for my birthday late on a Monday night. Our server was fun and helpful. Great food, great environment.Special Features:
- Great fish tacosJeffDined on 6/6/2014Went dinner with friends a few nights ago and the fish tacos were amazing. The atmosphere was very cool and it made a night out with friends very enjoyable. Great job, keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristinaVIPDined on 6/6/2014The food was over-priced. I bought a shrimp cocktail, with three shrimp, for $13. It was very good and the shrimp were very large, but I had a hard time matching the pricing to the value of the food I received.Special Features:
- Great!brkitdwnDined on 6/4/2014Great food, service was good and live music. However I wish there was more variety in the menu for entrees.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014A great spot to enjoy some tasty food and enjoy a lively "big city" vibe. My only complaint is that on-line reservations will not allow you to book a table for the outside patio. I will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodBirthdayDined on 5/20/2014Had reservations for a Tuesday evening. The place was fairly empty and we really didn"t need to make a reservation. The atmosphere was very quiet to the point of being boring. Our waitress was more interested in visiting with other workers than attending our table. However the food was excellent and we would return for the seafood. The presentation and flavors of our meals were excellent.Special Features:
- tawoodDined on 5/17/2014Two out of four of us ordered the swordfish and it was very dry. The potatoes were lukewarm and tasted like they had been sitting a while. Disappointing meal. Unfortunate because I like the atmosphere and our experiences in the past were much better. Our waiter, Brian, was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeyDined on 5/9/2014Tasty food and well made drinks. A little pricey, but good for special occasions. Biggest issue was noise level and tables are very close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menuGaryWVIPDined on 5/8/2014Eclectic menu with outstanding execution. Try this fish tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 484 reviews are from the The Black Pearl reviews archive.
- Guest1978Dined on 5/4/2014Decent wine list though not extensive. Staff very accommodating without smothering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, average service.JustinDined on 5/3/2014Our server didn't seem very enthused or welcoming, though he did not cause any inconvenience. The manager and side service (busser/ host) were very friendly and provided great service. The swordfish, seafood pasta, and calamari were all phenomenal. I was a little skeptical about the limited menu items, but everyone in my party was very pleased with what they ordered. I will be a returning.Special Features:
- Surf and Turf for 2merlsNbeansDined on 4/27/2014The surf and turf for 2 was phenomenal. Just the right about of food for two and so delicious. Cooked to perfection. coupled with fancy cocktails made for a fantastic sunday evening in ann arbor.Special Features:
- Waiter forgot we existeddaveyd23Dined on 4/25/2014The food was good as usual. The fish tacos are some of the best in Ann Arbor. However, our waiter forgot us for long periods of time so it was not great for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good meal and environmentLGoetzVIPDined on 4/18/2014Service was fine. Food was very good and the environment was fantastic. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Quite de-lish!HealthyYumDined on 4/17/2014Despite not having one of the appetizers we wanted to try, the drinks, soup, and main course were quite good! Flavorful, good portion size, great atmosphere, and I plan on going there again- and hopefully they will have everything I want to try!Special Features:
- Excellent food and drinks.mikesk32Dined on 4/6/2014Excellent food and drinks. The martinis were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for drinks than foodSushiManDined on 3/23/2014Seating oriented more towards a bar atmosphere: there are only (2) booths, the rest is raised seating on bar stools. Also, there is very little lighting. The food was OK, but nothing to brag about. They had a good list of beers including craft beers. It's conveniently located in downtown Ann Arbor. The service was attentive and kind. Parking is free in downtown Ann Arbor on Sundays. We parked in a public parking garage about (2) blocks from the restaurant.Special Features:
- Delivers everytime!karenwDined on 3/22/2014This is my 4th or 5th time to The Black Pearl and each time, I have enjoyed. They handle large parties well (this one was 14) and have a solid wine list and outstanding specialty cocktails. Shrimp Avocado appetizer is wonderful.Special Features:
- Great placeA2DinerDined on 3/18/2014The food is amazing. The drinks are creative. Tuesday nights starting at 8pm there is live music, and conversation gets a little more difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place. Appetizerstg4421Dined on 3/7/2014Love this place. Appetizers and martinis are second to none. Was a little disappointed with the swordfish. It was dry and tasted overcooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.