The Black Pearl
302 S Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Black Pearl
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blackpearlonmain.com/
- Phone: (734) 222-0400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch (During Patio Season)- Saturdays & Sundays: Noon - 5:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Russ Culp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment every Wednesday Night from 6:30-9:30.
- Special Events: The Black Pearl is equipped with presentation capabilities and is very suitable for private events. For a unique reception, social or corporate event, we offer the possibility of an exclusive buyout of the restaurant. For parties of 30 or more, the room fee will be waved. Please contact our Event Coordinator Jan Z. Cohen for more information: 734-395-8858. We welcome the opportunity to serve you!
A word from The Black Pearl
The Black Pearl is an upscale seafood and martini bar with a very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. Our food and service is some of the best you will find in all of Ann Arbor. We have an extensive martini, beer and wine menu, a little something for everyone. Our guests range from executives to students and everyone in between. We offer food and drink specials daily and weekly. We here at the Black Pearl welcome the chance to show our guests a wonderful evening or appetizers and drinks after a show. Our best kept secret are our Fish Tacos. Award winning and simply the best you will ever have!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Black Pearl - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
The Black Pearl reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (28)vibrant bar scene (27)fit for foodies (26)hot spot (22)good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (19)romantic (15)late-night find (11)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointingdeliciousdinerDined on 11/8/2014We have enjoyed lovely meals in a swank environment with attentive service in the past at Black Pearl. On this visit, however, we were seated in the new addition that felt more like a sports bar with rushed service and mediocre food. The fish tacos and Pearsicle martini continue to be great, but the other items we ordered were lacking in creativity and freshness. For a Saturday night out for a special occasion meal we were hurried in and out in 40 minutes. The server never inquired if we wanted coffee after we declined dessert. We probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Pricey for what you getSimoneatsDined on 11/8/2014Coconut shrimp appetizer was awesome, tuna main dish was pretty good. Caramel salmon was overdone and nothing special. Waiter was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of stock on several itemsTeekA2Dined on 11/7/2014We love the Black Pearl and came specifically for their spare ribs yet sadly they were sold out. So on to my second choice, Lobster Bisque of which they were also sold out. Then server also told us they are thinking of taking the ribs off the menu so the evening was a let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!Tfor2Dined on 11/7/2014I had been wanting to go to this restaurant for over 5 years, I have never been a really big seafood fan….But After last nights dinner at the Pearl it will forever have the heart of my stomach. Delicious shrimp guacamole, fish tacos, and scallops. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Pearl for great seafoodjaniceskVIPDined on 10/12/2014BP has great seafood & filet. The front by the bar is lively; for a quieter space, sit in the back room--great for couples or larger parties. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad timingbrimackiDined on 10/11/2014We ordered apps, soup/salad, and a main entrée, but the waiter ordered them from the kitchen all at the se time, therefore, the entrées were ready before we finished our previous course. Food was delicious and ambiance was just enough of a low rumble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Martinis at the Black Pearl!ejdrillerDined on 10/10/2014I recently reunited with some girlfriends from college for the weekend and we met at the Black Pearl in Ann Arbor. We enjoyed the fun variations on the martini theme! It was a fun, lively, happening place to have drinks, and laughs. We stayed for dinner and two of us ordered salmon - different menu offerings - both were excellent. It was a fun evening - I would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!QuitaDined on 10/9/2014If you're looking for more upscale bar food with fun multicolored cocktails this is the place to go. The fish tacos were perfect, the guacamole was respectable (coulda used more lime,garlic, & tomato), and fried clams were also good and not too greasy. Fun place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints.Luvgr8foodDined on 10/4/2014We have eaten at the Black Pearl 3 times now and the quality of the food and service have been consistently good. It is about an hour from our home but well worth the drive when we have the time. The coffee encrusted filet is one of the best we've ever had and even though we order it med. well, it's never over done, like so many other restaurants do. Always tender and juicy. The sweet potato risotto is to die for. Buttery and flavorful and done just right. A nice compliment to the steak and a nice change from regular potatoes. The deserts were delish too. Excellent, friendly service. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceSushiLoverDined on 9/27/2014Had my birthday dinner here and was able to make a reservation for 12 people on a Football Saturday! The manager was very accommodating for the large group by opening the back room and even called the day of to confirm the reservation. Food was delicious with a few highlights being the shrimp guacamole, tuna tartar, and calamari appetizers. I ordered the seared sesame tuna and that was amazing. Cocktails were made well, with my favorite being the Lychee Martini. Black Pearl is definitely one of my go-to downtown restaurants in Ann Arbor.Special Features:
- FairJamieVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had heard so much about this restaurant. We visit Ann Arbor just a few times a year so we try to make each time memorable. We were not so impressed with Black Pearl. Oysters were good but $3 each is not reasonable. Salmon could have been better quality. Tasted farm raised or perhaps not just fresh enough. String beans were drowned in sauce, not crisp and too spicy. Glad we tried it to learn for ourselves but we will not be going back.
- The black pearl of Ann ArborChrisDined on 9/23/2014I have tried for the first time the food from The Back Pearl at Testing of Ann Arbor. The delicious fish taco drive me to make a reservation for a Tuesday night happy hour. Then I discovery other reasons to come back, good food, good drinks and a stonishing musician: Laith-al-Saadi. This native Ann Arbor guitar player and singer is the "real" (name of his latest album) black pearl of Ann Arbor, a local talent to be celebrated.Special Features:
- MaplewoodNJDined on 9/19/2014Sat outside under the heater. Had the Surf-n-Turf for 2, which was great; not an overly large dish, actually a nice size for 2. The chicken was also good. Molten chocolate cake and pumpkin cheesecake were great!Special Features:
- not impressedA2dinerDined on 9/12/2014Nothing noteworthy about this place. It is way too crowded, food was ok but overpriced, poor wine selection, bathrooms without hand towels on a Friday night, not so friendly host. Our server was pretty good though. Will not dine here again.
- Nice menu with interesting choicesKittKattDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant was lively and booked solid on a Friday night. The waitstaff was very helpful in explaining the menu and craft cocktail choices. The fish tacos were a very popular item and the dish did not disappoint. Very tasty with homemade taco shells and Tilapia. A little spicy but not enough to make them too hot for most. The swordfish was prepared simply but was fresh and moist. The salmon was also fresh and had an interesting sauce made with caramel to accompany it. The craft cocktails that were unusual and refreshing. Fun spot and our group agreed that we would return soon.Special Features:
- Good Service, Good food.SpartanMikeDined on 9/7/2014We enjoyed sitting outside on the sidewalk cafe. I had the seared tuna, which was excellent. If you don't like wasabi, you might have a problem because it was very strong. I wouldn't order the shrimp cocktail again as it was only 3 shrimp, although they were large, I felt it was way overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AveragelbkerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Fish tacos are breaded but tasty in a corn soft taco not my favorite. The special was a fish very thin breaded fillet making it dry. Potatoes were tasty and a nice martini.
- Great Food n DrinksBunchDined on 8/21/2014Great selection of martinis and wine. The food had amazing flavor. Had the salmon delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B'day celebrationBethDined on 8/19/20145 ladies celebrated a friend's birthday here. 4 of them had the fish tacos which they loved and I had the scallop salad which was equally delicious. We tried a few of the specialty cocktails. They were very tasty. Our waitress was great. The birthday cheesecake was outstanding! Excellent meal and celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rivermavenDined on 8/15/2014The food is consistently great. Love the ambiance too...but the best thing about the place is the staff. They are friendly and acknowledge that you have been there before. We always have a glass of wine in hand within a few minutes and feel like they genuinely try to make the time there enjoyable and efficient... one of our favorites!Special Features:
- Overall fantastic!MmmMmmGoodDined on 8/9/2014This was a repeat visit within one week of my first visit. The St Gin martini is just so tasty. I love elderflower liquor. We are new in town and I wanted a grow up dining experience for my birthday at a place I knew was accepting of me bringing my 2.5 and 4 year old daughters. The food was all fantastic-again and Jackie was fantastic with engaging my girls. Management was working really hard sweating and training food runners yet we got to tell him how awesome Jackie was when he brought out our food. She gave them "special" styrofoam cups and cocktail forks to eat and kept the olives coming at their every request. She really made my dining experience relaxed and fun for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awsome experiencebrownsugarDined on 8/8/2014Great for girls night out, great food. awesome service and amazing wine serversSpecial Features:
- DandWDined on 8/8/2014The fish tacos are terrific even tho they were a little on the spicy side. The 2 martinis I tried were deelish. My husband's pasta dish also good tho a little heavy on the butter. This is our 3rd time there and we'll keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodblueDined on 8/3/2014The fish tacos and the coconut shrimp are worth the trip from Detroit. The happy hour menu offers a great deal on these and other small plate items after 8:00pm.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerscottyDined on 8/2/2014Went there for a special anniversary dinner. Fantastic place, had a table by the window and got to watch a lot of people walking by while enjoying delicious drinks. Get the fish tacos, they are well-priced and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Saturday night with friendsACDCDined on 7/25/2014We LOVE this restaurant! Keep going back for the small plates and the service. Tofu entree a little disappointing but...not vegetarians so no big deal. Sat outside, not rushed away after dinner and sat for a long time and enjoyed our friends, conversation and the entire evening. Love the manager/owner/boss who keeps his eyes on everyone's experience. LOVE that/him! Wait staff excellent from hostess on her first day to bartender to waiters. Thank you and will be back soon for that chowda'!Special Features:
- The following 503 reviews are from the The Black Pearl reviews archive.
- Creative dishesAlmaVIPDined on 7/12/2014A great place to dine outdoors. The inside is busy and a little dark.Special Features:
- A Slip in QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014Food was a disappointment after previous positive dining visits. Salad lettuce was poor quality and fish over cooked. Think we'll be taking a break from this establishment for a while. There are plenty of other fine downtown AA establishments.
- Loved happy hour!blackpearlDined on 7/10/2014We feasted on delicious small plates and drank flavorful martinis. The staff was delightful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/6/2014Unusual night at the Black Pearl. Sleepy July weekend, not crowded. So why was the service so slow? Food at it's usual very good level. Great place to sit and watch the world go by on Main Street A2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!Bates2014Dined on 7/3/2014Fantastic place to eat, the food was outstanding and our waiter was awesome!Special Features:
- Good food and very good musicChrisDined on 7/1/2014We went to Black Pearl to see Laith All Saadi playing the guitar. He is a very talent local Ann Arbor musician. That night we have eaten the fish tortillas we have tried on Tasting of Ann Arbor. Delicious! The service was so so. Polite but slow. I could not understand the logic: why one person take your order, a second one delivery it and a third one pick up the empty dishes...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itkat2468Dined on 6/25/2014Visited for the first time for restaurant week and I have to say that the martinis are AMAZING! My date got the calamari for an appetizer and the skirt steak with mashed potatoes and asparagus for the entree. We both really liked his food, and the steak was cooked really well (we requested medium). I got the eggplant enchilada and the kale side salad, as well as the watermelon gazpacho. I loved the gazpacho and the eggplant enchilada was okay. I thought the sauce on it was a little bland, but that could also be because my Lychee martini was so overpowering ;)Special Features:
- Food was meh and my order was wrongLoriDined on 6/22/2014Order was initially wrong so they got me a new one. It was restaurant week in Ann Arbor so I expected their food to be prepared and ready to go, but we still had to wait 45 min to get our food. Other restaurants have much faster service. The food was meh too, didn't taste bad but wasn't amazing either.
- For the love of fish tacosSmallgalbigappetiteDined on 6/22/2014Date night is a good night no matter where we go, but it is a great night when we go to Black Pearl. The Martinis (that just autocorrected to mama drinks...accurate) are delicious and worth the price of a movie ticket. And I can't order anything else but the fish tacos. I just won't stray. I advise that you do the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patchy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I have dined at the Black Pearl several times and have always been impressed with the service. However, this most recent time was disappointing. The server seemed to forget about us and we had to ask the maitre d' several times to help us.Special Features:
- Fantastic birthday spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2014Had a group of 5 for my birthday late on a Monday night. Our server was fun and helpful. Great food, great environment.Special Features:
- Great fish tacosJeffDined on 6/6/2014Went dinner with friends a few nights ago and the fish tacos were amazing. The atmosphere was very cool and it made a night out with friends very enjoyable. Great job, keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristinaVIPDined on 6/6/2014The food was over-priced. I bought a shrimp cocktail, with three shrimp, for $13. It was very good and the shrimp were very large, but I had a hard time matching the pricing to the value of the food I received.Special Features:
- Great!brkitdwnDined on 6/4/2014Great food, service was good and live music. However I wish there was more variety in the menu for entrees.Special Features: