The Black Olive
739 Pandora Ave
Victoria, BC V8W 1N9Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Black Olive
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackolive.ca/
- Phone: 2503846060
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mediterranean, Northwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from The Black Olive
The Black Olive is an exquisite jewel of a restaurant nestled off the beaten tourist track just half a block from Victoria City Hall. It features a casual fine dining experience in an unpretentious environment. Friendly service and an ambient room make it a favorite haunt for locals and tourists alike. One never goes to the Black Olive only once. Internationally known for its Rack of Lamb and Mediterranean West Coast Cuisine, the menu features locally grown, wild and organic fare whenever possible. Everything is made in house and to order, welcoming celiac and people with allergies. The wine list features an extensive collection of BC, West Coast and International wines. Come in and enjoy our lamb, rabbit, pasta or seafood dishes. We serve three course Prix Fixe dinners every day of the week, starting at $25. Our 60 seat restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, seven days/week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Black Olive reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (7)romantic (5)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- A Victoria GemwineanddineDined on 8/30/2014The food is top notch. And Dimitrios, the affable owner, makes every customer feel so welcome that you can't help wanting to come back again and again for the great food and the friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- Tasty, fresh and creative foodhungrybearVIPDined on 8/22/2014We very much enjoyed our dinner at The Black Olive. Tucked a bit off the beaten path, the Black Olive was a great place for a quiet, tasty meal, and very affordable. We had the three course dinner special. My pasta had just the right mix of fresh veggies and cream. A nice selection of wines by the glass. And for me, house-made, nut-free, cheesecake. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. We will definitely head back to the Black Olive when we're visiting Victoria.Special Features:
- Fine dining and friendly serviceTopherDined on 7/25/2014I have always liked the Black Olive and never been disappointed with the food or service. The owner always makes a special effort to visit each table and though it was very busy the night we were there, he managed to drop by. Everyone in my party was happy with their choice of food, and the wine selection was excellent. This was my first time using Open Table. I made the reservation from my smartphone about 45 minutes before we decided to go there, and when we got there they had it ready to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014The pan seared calamari was delicious as was the rack of lamb. The service was so so. Ambiance was poor... Could use music and better art decor.
- Dinner for Four, & 2 studentsBigAlfromMazDined on 6/11/2014The service was exceptionally good. The food arrived hot and well appointed for presentation. The risotto was delicious according to the two students, however the halibut dinner was good but not spectacular. The real problem was the lamb chops which were less than adequate in size and flavour. Perhaps a full rack may have been a better option, but the chops received were something expected at a value diner not a higher end resturante.Special Features:
- The following 14 reviews are from the The Black Olive reviews archive.
- Amazing place!TdennDined on 4/26/2014My girlfriend and I love the black olive. The service is always amazing and friendly. The food is exactly like the service amazing. I would highly, highly recommend the black olive to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousfyodorDined on 4/25/2014Fast service, great selection, tasty food. I had the quadro grill special. Bread & hummus and split pea soup were great. Main dish was good, pork tenderloin was the highlight. Dessert of berry cheesecake is in my top five of best cheesecakes ever..delicious! Live music was chill, and very fitting! Would dine there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and delightfulfoodiewannabeDined on 4/4/2014This was our family's second visit to The Black Olive during a visit from Winnipeg. My in-laws from Ottawa recommended it years ago. This time we took some other visiting relatives. They found the food drlicious and the ambiance delightful. It was not very busy, so it was not too noisy. I made s big mistake when keying in the tip on the Visa machine and thecwsitress very politely brought it to my attention since no one would leave a 30 cent tip. I meant to leave 30 dollars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/29/2014Black Olive is one of my favorite restaurants - it has everything. I hesitate to speak about their live Jazz evenings because I enjoy being able to arrive from out-of-town and get a last minute table. Quite simply the Black Olive is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent. Service friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Food excellent. Service friendly. Creme brulle to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist spot in VictoriaJoewasthereVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food is not very imaginative,but well prepared,the portions too big and expensive.
- Great neighborhood restaurant,RickVIPDined on 2/19/2014Great neighborhood restaurant, casual, tasteful decor. Here for lunch today. Nice menu, food well prepared, very tasty, nice portion sizes, beverage list to complement menu selections. Server knew menu well, helpful with our selections, very friendly. Definitely enjoyed our dining experience. Next time in area, will be back to try the dinner offerings. Try this resturant, you will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Valentine's Dinner spotValentineDined on 2/14/2014We had a lovely dinner. Excellent food, the staff was very friendly and acccommodating and the owner was lovely. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/8/2014Simply remarkable Been multiple times on my trips to Victoria Now a regularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We would prefer not to reportgocanada1965Dined on 12/31/2013We would prefer not to report how GREAT it was, so we can be sure we'll be able to find a table in the future. :>)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/16/2013Service was mediocre and the chicken was overcooked. The side was listed as basmati and wild rice but I was served white rice. When I was told that they did not have the rice I requested, I asked for a vegetable substitute. When the owner came out, he questioned why I was not going to eat the rice. You do not question a customer's preferences! Steer clear of this restaurant. It is not what it appears.
- A must while in VictoriaG1949Dined on 7/19/2013Had the rack of lamb and my wife had the salmon. Both were excelent. The Black Olive is highly recomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go past the Lamb ShanksPortyDined on 6/16/2013If you like Lamb Shanks then this is the place for you. The atmosphere is friendly, with great service from staff that care about your dinning experience and an owner that treats you as part of the family. This was are first visit to Victoria and found this restaurant through a recommendation. My wife and I both had the lamb shanks which were delicious. Portions were generous. The owner is from Crete and produces some of the best olive oil I have ever tasted which is offered to his customers. Dip your bread in it and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local gem...LauraFVIPDined on 5/25/2013This is a small restaurant that still has the personal touch of the owner, a charming man who loves to chat and makes delicious olive oil. I had some on ice cream ... It's a must try.Special Features: