The Black House at Straw Valley
5420 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd
Durham, NC 27707Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Black House at Straw Valley
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://strawvalleyfoodanddrink.com/
- Phone: 9194032233x
- Hours of Operation:
PLEASE CALL for special reservations including:
-Parties of 6 or more
Dinner Monday through Sunday
We now accept reservations for lunch in The Black House and al fresco dining.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Rose
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Black House at Straw Valley
The Black House offers a warm and welcoming dining experience with Chef Adam Rose’s interpretations of New American Cuisine. Hospitality and wine list by Master Sommelier Fred Dex. We now offer limited al fresco seating at our Drink Shack and in our courtyard.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Black House at Straw Valley - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
The Black House at Straw Valley reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)special occasion (113)romantic (89)notable wine list (82)great for outdoor dining (66)neighborhood gem (48)hot spot (32)good for groups (30)scenic view (25)vibrant bar scene (18)great for lunch (12)late-night find (9)Show More
- Great spot but food needs helpAsheDined on 9/15/2014I really love the atmosphere at this place but food is mostly miss instead of hit. I hope the chef can turn it around! I want to go back.Special Features:
- LA/NY prices without the quality.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014We took a client there the other night. First, the place is very hard to find. We drove into a dirt parking lot and right past the front door. We had to exit the other side and go around the block...was very confusing. The staff is nice and friendly...so that's a plus...and the customer service is good too. I am from LA and lived in NY...if a restaurant charges the high prices that this one does, you expect amazing product. The owner/chef was out the night we went (Sunday) so that may be why. The scallops we well prepared, no complaints. We ordered the Chateaubriand-cost 80 bucks (medium rare). It came out almost raw. We let the waiter know and they put it back on....it came out the same and the meat was not even hot.
- Terrific atmosphere!lunchproVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had a really nice experience with terrific service. Beet salad was the best I can remember in my adult life. The wine list might need to be updated as we tried to order 2 bottles that they were out of. We ended up with amazing(!!) wines so all was good in the end. Great spot and we will be back soon~Special Features:
- Great hard to find spotYumgirlDined on 9/8/2014The place is a bit hard to find- it hides between 15-501 and where the shopping center (with Old Navy and Walmart) is. However, the architecture in the place is awesome (modeled after Frank Lloyd Wright's style), such a cute spot, awesome outdoor bar areas. And the food was fantastic-- we ordered salads, fish main dishes, and a dessert to share! Our server was great as well, acknowledging my husband's birthday. We had a fantastic experience, and would definitely go back for another special occasion.Special Features:
- AwesomeLauraincaryDined on 9/8/2014The snapper was the highlight, but everything was awesome, from the service to the wind to all the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Black HouseSingareeVIPDined on 9/6/2014Loved the food and ambiance but the small rooms and low ceilings meant that a very loud 8-person table made the noise level in our dining area very discomforting. Both our table and one next to us were caused to leave earlier than we should have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014This restaurant is off the charts. The ambience is amazing. Very unique space and very cool inside. Their is back patio area that is very cool. There are 3 separate cabana areas with couches and chairs and then a very large open area with tables and chairs where friends and families can come to gather. The food was incredible. I would almost say on par with Ferrington House. The wait staff knew everything about every single dish, wine, beer, etc. You can tell that they are fully trained. I felt like I received 5 star service. It's been a long time since a restaurant, even nice ones, has knocked my socks off! This is quickly going to become our new favorite place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, unusual 70's retromysons27705VIPDined on 8/29/2014We liked the food and the wine. We are foodies, so "like" is a strong word for us. Pasta was great though not their specialty. Having half orders as a second course is appreciated and very unusual in smaller American cities. The seafood was very fresh and deftly prepared and accompanied. Steak perfectly done, with coffee rub and wine reduction. The patio is shaping up to be stellar and unrivaled in the area - curtained cabanas of lounge furniture. The service was really good, and the wine advice solid, but they should be advised not to interrupt table conversation if they want to be amazing. Avoid the 2 glassed-in patio tables in warm weather, because they are overly warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemColettedDined on 8/28/2014Black House is my new favorite restaurant in Durham.. It's got it all. Great food, great service, great space. I've been enjoying it since the first week it opened..Special Features:
- An excellent mealRossMcKVIPDined on 8/26/2014We went to Black House with friends. It's a distinctive building, with many small rooms, so conducive to quiet conversations and consideration of good food. Everything we were served was excellent. I can particularly recommend the ceviche. I also had the duck with tamarind sauce, and it needed more of side than the mustard greens with which it was served. That was our fault - the sides are there to ordered, we just didn't. Wine list is excellent and well chosen, and the service was mostly very good (there were steps in the dining process where they were a bit slow). We'll be back. None of the food was daring, flashy, or unique, but all of it was well prepared. A solid choice for dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice service, hit or missFoodiemomDined on 8/22/2014We really wanted to enjoy this place and was looking forward to dining here. Unfortunately, at every stage of our meal, one drink or course was very good and the other awful. My rum cocktail and oysters were barely passable. I worried about the oysters... will never order them here again. But my whole snapper entree was delicious and fresh. The manager and staff were eager to please and attentive but the inconsistent quality of the food was dissappointing. We prefer Vin Rouge, Piedmont and Pancuitto for consistent fine dining in this area.Special Features:
- worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Food is highly original and truly excellent, with desserts the only shortcoming. Wine list is phenomenal, featuring numerous undiscovered gems from small vintners, with a special focus on southwestern France. This was my second meal at The Black House, and unlike my first visit, the service lagged -- though looking around, this did not appear to be an issue beyond our particular waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with artLive2eatDined on 8/21/2014The personal art collection of the former owners adds a wonderful touch to each of the intimate dining spaces of this mid century house. The chef provided our group a history lesson of the property which enhanced our experience. Service was attentive but slow for lunch. The crab cakes got rave reviews from the group as did the salmon. Would return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and great atmosphereeastcoastfoodieDined on 8/20/2014had never been to this restaurant and needed to pick a spot for a business dinner. The building is hard to find because it doesn't look like a restaurant at all and the signage is a little light. Both of my guests had difficulty finding it. Once inside though it is a delight and the food was outstanding. We tried a few appetizers and for dinner we had the duck, scallops, and the Bolognese with sides of 100 layer potatoes, peppers and onions, and bok choy. No desert for me but I was told that the peach dessert was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jadamsDined on 8/19/2014Outstanding is every way. The wine was outstanding and every dish we had was excellent! We had several visiting relatives and they just raved over the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely floored...JVinPAVIPDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I dined at The Black House on Sunday night and had to have, what was, one of our top 5 meals ever. The service was top notch with staff quick to assist with any question or request. The appetizers of ceviche with black bass, the roast pork belly w mac&cheese and peach BBQ sauce & octopus (with bonus points on presentation on making the octopus look like an octopus) was top shelf. The chateaubriand entree with fois gras was absolutely amazing. The foie gras was presented perfectly as a melting addendum to a succulent roast. The sides of the 100-layer potato, 2 pak choi and hen of the woods mushrooms were just as spectacular. All in all, this place is a gem, and will be a place I will go to when I frequent the area for work.Special Features:
- JTMMDDined on 8/16/2014This is a very unique dining experience. It is tucked away in an unusual location. Do not let the appearance of the surrounding shopping center or the outside bamboo and plants deter you from coming inside. The food is fantastic and the interior is pleasant and unique given its history as a residence. Has quickly become one of the best restaurants in town!Special Features:
- Daughter 13th B-Day CelebrationCashamVIPDined on 8/15/2014It was our daughter's B-Day celebration, and they treated her like royalty. We were seated in the kitchen area, which I love. She really enjoyed herself, and as usual the food was amazing, as was the appetizers. I loved the scallops there, but the whole fried fish is out of this world! That will again be my entree pick when I return. I haven't tried out the wine area with the oysters, cheeses and chocolate, hope to do that very soon. The last week in this month is our 20th anniversary, so The Black House might see us again very soon, I want to see one of the films in the courtyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So happyMyboyjVIPDined on 8/12/2014I was sad to see Straw Valley change. I loved it as a coffee shop and mourned the change, but decided to go to lunch to get a feel for it and see from there. I am so glad I did. The total experience was awesome. Food, service, atmosphere and overall experience was exceptional. It holds up to the high expectations I had for Straw Valley and I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowgarciauncVIPDined on 8/11/2014Our friends mentioned to us that Black House was a MUST, so we went. We(4) ordered different entrees to share. Thank goodness for that as I would have felt like I missed out big time. The pork tenderloin was cooked perfectly, melted in my mouth. The scallops are the best I have had in the Triangle. I won't list every portion of the meal (3 apps and 4 entrees ALL fantastic), but I could. Wine list is excellent and the beauty is that you just have to tell the sommelier what you like and he will do the rest. His suggestions were great and his paring to meet the tastes of 4 was spot on. Wine is quite reasonably priced as well. Food is expensive, so prepare for that, but worth it. Already one of the top 2 restaurants in Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so closeomnivoreDined on 8/11/2014I expected too much. Of course the food was very good, but no better than our other top restaurants. Once everyone's curiosity is satisfied about the new place, I doubt savvy foodies will keep paying the notably higher prices unless they're assured of a notably better meal. The fresh asparagus appetizer was fine, but the delicate vegetable was lost under a shower of parmesan. My seared halibut was excellent, but not quite hot. The unlisted side veg (peas and chanterelles) turned out to be $15. Dessert and service were excellent, and wine pairings fine. The striking ambience is calm and roomy and conversation-friendly (too rare in Durham), but maybe a little dark for some. I'll surely come again, though. The potential's great. Patio's fab.Special Features:
- 5 starsHArpzDined on 8/10/2014Incredible food and service, made it such a special night. Thank you Black House!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014One of the best dining experiences that you will have, food is always great! Service and wine pairings are perfect.
- Tucked away gemDelphiDined on 8/7/2014We were blown away by the flavors and freshness of the food; best in the area bar none. Original atmosphere and incredible service on top of that makes this place something truly special. At least 4 people touched our table regularly throughout our meal, and not in a stuffy or pretentious way. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable. The wines by the glass selection is outstanding. The desserts are as good or better than the hot food. Lots of skill and positive energy at The Black House.Special Features:
- incredible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014We went there for out ten year wedding anniversary and were treated very well. The food was incredible and unique. The portions were not what I excepted at a high end restaurant, they were actually a decent sized and not small. The Chefs really knows their crafts. The only complaint and it is a minor one was that the service was slightly slow, but that could have been due to the fact that we are use to eating with a two year old. Would recommend to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, Creative and UniquePattiCDined on 8/4/2014Wonderful evening in an interesting environment! The restaurant (which is actually a midcentury modern home) is filled with the art of the previous owners and if you explore a bit before or after dinner (discretely) you can easily surmise what it was like to attend a party when it was a private home. The food is wonderful and beautifully served. I would suggest taking the server's suggestions on your first visit. We opted to do so and shared a huge antipasti plate and two additional appetizers before splitting the halibut and red snapper entrees between the four of us. Adding a couple of seasonal sides made the portions perfect. Wine selection is excellent. Dessert, also shared, was a fresh peach dish and a cookie plate. We WILL be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DurhamiteDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful master sommelier who excellently paired a wine with our food and explained his choice in a cogent and interesting way. All dishes were perfectly prepared and came to the table with excellent timing. Menu was varied and seasonal. On the expensive side, but was worth every penny. Definitely has become the "go to" restaurant in Durham/Chapel Hill for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Fod but Noisy!!myronfeinsteinDined on 8/2/2014Food, as usual, was EXCELLENT. Extremely noisy when crowded.Special Features:
- Holy Bolognese!LookingforyumDined on 7/31/2014I had my birthday dinner here and it did not disappoint, appetizers for the table were beef tartare and octopus which were amazing, the veal chop with polenta was tender, juicy and cooked medium rare like we requested and the bolognese was so good I felt the need to stop by a church on the way home to repent it was so amazing! Wow! Sinfully delicious! Bottom line; I recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky and fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014Dined at The Black House on Wednesday evening. Food was superior from beginning to end, the kitchen accommodated a couple of special requests, the layout is choppy due to the rambling nature of the original property but it's been carved up in a way that creates interest and intimacy and the outdoor spaces are enticing. The service was spectacular - knowledgable, friendly and attentive without being invasive. The wine list and its presentation are as good or better than any in the Triangle. A note on wheelchair accessibility for diners: call ahead; manual chairs are manageable, power chairs or scooters will be difficult. A note on wheelchair accessibility for the restaurant: install a ramp.Special Features:
- amazing....FigaroDined on 7/30/2014my first time there, though we used to come to the place in its earlier coffee shop life......in short, simply amazing, highly creative, astonishingly delicious food....from amuse bouche to dessert, the whole food gamut was lovely, the server knowleageable and funny.And the wine list was great, not surprising as one of the owner/chefs is a certified sommelier. As well the physical building is lovely, restful, intriguing, different...note the moso giant bamboo lurking outside....and you can eat outside as well. Sigh....simply, to die for. Only caveat?....pricey, so it may get relegated to the "special occasion" class...but, you know, it's expensive, but worth it...which is rare. I plan on trying them for lunch soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Decor Good Food Nice WineatinaDined on 7/28/2014The Duck was flavorful and the skin pieces were tasty. The Red Snapper was great with the slightly spicey sauce. My friend liked her pork chop which was HUGE! The shots of soup was just enough to leave you with wanting more. Dessert was OK. I had the peach crisp but didn't reach the peaches until I hit the bottom of the dish. My friend loved her chocolate cake. The service was a little slow but the waiter was friendly and my dining partner thought he did a great job with describing the menu. I loved my wine! It is uniquely decorated and cozy. Great for a special occasion because it is a little pricey. Hint- to get to the restaurant enter from the road behind the building not directly from 15-501. Turn @ MT MoriahSpecial Features:
- Incredible gem of a restaurantidoctor300Dined on 7/27/2014This restaurant has incredible food, very high quality, cooked to absolute perfection and seasoned perfectly. If asked, the servers were right on point with being able to explain dishes in detail. We went for an anniversary, and they brought us out a small drink to toast and an extra appetizer, both on the house! All the servers were very nice and professional. The environment is quiet and beautifully decorated. I never would have known such a premium restaurant is tucked away, hidden (both in view and sound) from the nearby highway and Wal-Mart shopping center. It's like I stepped into a whole new world! Will definitely go back and recommend to anyone looking for a wonderful, romantic, high quality place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I regret not coming sooner.happycamperDined on 7/26/2014I had visited the cafe one morning previously in an attempt to try something new and learned of the Black House just by chance. It's in a slightly odd location, so I just hadn't gotten around to returning. I decided to give them a try with my boyfriend and I'm so glad I did. I ordered the hanger steak which was great. He ordered the snapper (fish). I have to admit, his snapper was probably the best fish I've had... to the point where we were talking about it for a couple of days. If it wasn't kinda pricey, I swear I would have returned the next day. I'm going to tell my friends about this place. I love the mid-century layout of the house, such a unique find. Check it out!Special Features:
- So glad we found this restaurant!miltonDined on 7/24/2014Stopped by the cafe with a friend for juices one evening and returned the next day for lunch. The following day I took my husband out for dinner to the restaurant. What a hidden gem! Food is wonderful, great selections, service superb and a cozy and relaxing atmosphere. I'm telling all my friends about The Black House at Straw Valley!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodtriathletececeDined on 7/23/2014Presentation, ingredients, and flavor are outstanding. The wait staff are knowledgeable and can offer great suggestions for wine pairings. Outstanding in every way!Special Features:
- Lunch is great too!RhodaDined on 7/23/2014Having enjoyed dinners here, tried lunch and was not disappointed. The burger is great!Special Features:
- Oasis in DurhamseedurhamDined on 7/20/2014Amazing food in a unique setting. It's hard to imagine that such a unique and tranquil setting exists on 15-501 near I-40 next to a strip mall. You have to see experience it to believe it. All of the food that we tried was amazing. I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Outdoor SettingJazzLoverDined on 7/19/2014Weather permitting, sit outdoors in a huge courtyard ... with a "flaming water fountain." The night we went we heard great jazz, but I understand that some nights they put up a large screen for a movie and dinner. Excellent food, although a little pricey. Well worth return visits. We're headed back!Special Features:
- Expensive but goodCookieVIPDined on 7/19/2014The chef is very creative and his products are excellent. The prices are high for this area, especially the appetizers. Side dishes are high also, a little is provided with the entree, so ordering a separate side dish seems necessary. Wait staff is friendly and helpful--but offered no second cup of coffee???Special Features: