The Black Horse Tavern
1 W Main Street
Mendham, NJ 07945Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Black Horse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blackhorsenj.com/
- Phone: 9735437300x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 4:00pm - 9:30 Tuesday - Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Felice
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Planning a party? We have three private rooms, all great for celebrating birthday’s, Wedding's, Graduations or any special event. Please call the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Saperstein 2012135594x
- Entertainment: Live Music on most Friday & Saturday nights starting at 7:pm & running until 10:30pm. Call for detailed entertainment schedule.
- Special Events: The Black Horse Tavern is the ideal venue for every occasion. We're pleased to offer two rooms for private affairs; graciously accommodating up to one hundred and twenty five guests. You may be certain that you and your guests will enjoy exceptional cuisine and impeccable service. Our professional and courteous staff will ensure that your social corporate events as well as your dining experience are one to remember. The Black Horse philosophy is, "Only the best for our guests". The secret to the restaurant business is no secret at all, it's just hard work and attention to detail.
A word from The Black Horse Tavern
One of New Jersey's oldest restaurants The Black Horse is a historically noted location offering farm to table contemporary American cuisine. Est. in 1742, The Black Horse is a staple in the Mendham community along with its surrounding towns. Come see the history of The Black Horse through our cuisine, atmosphere and service!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Black Horse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (17)romantic (13)fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (4)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Thank youLuvalluDined on 8/14/2014I took my wife here for her birthday the restaurant was outstanding, the staff was great, the food was excellent will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Spectacular!TewksburyFoodieDined on 7/11/2014We had probably one of the best meals ever at The Black Horse Tavern (and we go to many restaurants). I started with the Chilled Melon soup. It was perfect for a hot summer night. The flavors blended beautifully. My entrée was the Black Angus Filet with tomato and corn salad and faro. Again, it was so good. My husband had the Scallops and he couldn't say enough great things about it. The Tavern is really quite a gem. If you want an innovative, delicious meal – this is the place to go.Special Features:
- Terrific Dinner HereMisterTravelFellaVIPDined on 6/27/2014My husband and I recently ate dinner at the Black Horse Tavern for the first time on a Friday night. We had a wonderful experience from beginning to end. For the first course we had the romain Caesar salad, and a special salad made of compressed watermelon, grapes, kale, pine nuts and bacon, with lemon creme fraiche-- an unexpected combination which was beautifully presented and delicious. For our entrees we had two of the scallops: seared scallops and filet mignon. The scallops were well prepared, with a good sear and yet still creamy and tender. The filet was perfectly cooked and delicious and served with Israei couscous that seemed like a mini-caprese salad. We would happily return and already have our next reservation.Special Features:
- NJM24Dined on 6/14/2014I HAVE BEEN GOING TO THE BLACK HORSE INN FOR MANY YEARS ALTHOUGH NOT LATELY. LOVE THE "BAR ROOM". WE FOUND SOME OF THE MEALS OVERSALTED AND SHRIMP UNDERCOOKED. SENT BACK ONE MEAL AND THE SHRIMP WHICH WERE CHEERFULLY REPLACED. FOUND THE MEALS QUITE EXPENSIVE (APPROX. $75 PER PERSON). THIS WILL BE A RESTAURANT FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS AND NEXT TIME IT WOULD BE MORE ECONOMICAL TO ORDER A BOTTLE OF WINE NOT WINE BY THE GLASS. THE BHI STILL HAS ITS CHARM AND WE ALL HAD A WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCE. DO MISS THE COOKIES THOUGH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable and funpairof8sVIPDined on 6/7/2014The Black Horse Tavern continues to be a reliable and fun dinner option. We like to sit in the bar--it's bright, fun, and often has music playing. The drinks are a nice size and the food has really stepped up the past few years. My Crispy Skin bass appetizer was excellent as was the special citrus salad. The skirt steak entree was delicious and the prime rib is one of the best around anywhere. The maple pork chop which was highly recommended came to the table dry and dead on arrival.....they took it off of our bill. Wait staff is excellent--friendly, engaging, and helpful. We will continue to return to this dependable alternative.Special Features:
- Gift Certificate FindwisechoiseDined on 6/7/2014I was given a gift certificate for the Black Horse Tavern and at the last minute decided to use it this Saturday. The restaurant and the food were great. Our reservation was the first for the evening so the restaurant had few patrons at such an early hour on a Saturday. Very much enjoyed the food and the cocktails.Special Features:
- Wonderful & Tasty ExperienceMuylocomimiDined on 6/6/2014We were on vacation from California and drove by Black Horse Tavern. We looked it up and discovered it was the origional stage house from the 1700's and the menu looked inviting - we called in to verify they had a childrens menu & make reservations. The service was attentive and personable, my prime rib was excellent, my husband had the beef stew and he cleaned his plate, he never cleans his plate at resturants... Two of the childrens chicken strips were devoured by my picky daughter (they were big pieces). She did not have room for all of the ice-cream that came after and she did not care, her tummy was happy. I indulged in the cheesecake which was amazing. It was a huge slice and I wished I had access to refrigeration to take it with us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Food Above Average PricessrthngntlmanVIPDined on 6/1/2014The food is very average and the service is a little slow. We were served chicken with bloody center. No discount, no offer of any kind just heated same chicken half further and served again. Once cooked chicken was ok. This is my second visit and most likely final. Not changes since last visit.
- Excellent experience!BaileySamDined on 5/31/2014Our first time at the Black Horse Tavern was an excellent experience! Our server was very pleasant, the food was AMAZING, and the Martinis we delicious! We sat in the bar area, which was a very pleasant surprise when the entertainment started. The base and guitar player just made the night for us. The music was so relaxing and the perfect touch to a perfect evening! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- waitressspringer223Dined on 5/24/2014waitress could have been more "attending". Had to wait for service regarding water, wine, cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FEEDMEDined on 5/11/2014EXCELLENT , FOOD WELL PREPARED. GOOD SERVICE JUST RIGHT AMOUNT OF ATTENTION, NOT OVERDONE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Historic Restaurant"ebw5Dined on 5/10/2014The Black Horse Tavern is not only an historic setting but the meal is historic as well.Special Features:
- How did I miss this place?AMG0825Dined on 5/7/2014Living within 20 - 40 minutes of this restaurant for the past 25 years and in a habit of looking for restaurants for all occasions, my wife and I went to the Tavern on a Wed night for our anniversary. We sat in their dining room and were the only ones there. Food was very good and so was the service. Wine list is limited but adequate. Recommended for a great dinner and if you feel more casual, their Pup is across the driveway.Special Features:
- The following 155 reviews are from the The Black Horse Tavern reviews archive.
- Good vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/1/2014Delicious food, friendly atmosphere, never disappointments! The Black Horse is a place you know will will be well taken care of.Special Features:
- Excellent food qualityMoPlainsGirlDined on 4/26/2014The food was fresh and exceptionally well-prepared. Crab cake isn't really "jumbo" but had huge chunks of real crab meat, not the filler stuff, and was very tasty. Filet and duck breast were cooked perfectly and the lamb ragu was rich and decadent, with papardelle cooked al-dente. Malbec was very good but pricey, most of the wine list was too pricey, but I suppose that's normal for restaurants like this. The warm chocolate cake was TO DIE FOR. Service was good, we asked our waiter the history behind the Tavern and he knew a lot, even telling us extra information that wasn't completely related to the building. Overall a really wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Black Horse TavernANDEAMODined on 4/26/2014Superb food, excellent friendly service, and the ambiance of an eighteenth century Colonial American Tavern and Inn combine to make dining unique and memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014Had a lovely meal and appreciated the menu selections, good wine offerings... and ambience.. Really a great time. My husband and I have often gone to the pub for lunch//dinner but never were able to get to the tavern. A place we will go back to again.Special Features:
- Good food and people!BigJohnStudDined on 4/19/2014My girlfriend and I dinned at the pub on Saturday night and it was excellent. We enjoyed the food and the staff. The pub offers a family friendly environment, meanwhile the tavren offers a romantic atmosphere. They have something for everyone! We plan to return very soon.Special Features:
- Sunday .. 'SORRY ?? NO PRIME RIBS'OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014Rather than accept the fact of driving 80 miles round trip and the understandable temptation to yell and scream ?? Sadness is not a sufficient word to describe the tragedy of .. We're out of 'PRIME RIB'. Sunday was my birthday and the last ten (10) years we spent my special day at your Restaurant, enjoying, perhaps the BEST Prime Rib, New Jersey offers. After sharing my disdain, everyone is entitled to vent and to express their opinion .. even if it comes off a little strong. The Manager was 'SUPER' and very Professional and our waitress 'Marie' was also kind and sympathetic. In the end, life goes-on, so forgive my rough language and be thankful to DINE at the 'BLACK HORSE TAVERN' Matt LindaSpecial Features:
- Wonderful evening!ChathamiteDined on 3/29/2014Not only was the food and ambiance top notch, but I was so impressed with the staff, especially Chef Ryan. He went out of his way to make sure my meal was safe and delicious (I have complicated food allergies). There are only a handful of restaurants in the area that truly make their food from scratch, with fresh ingredients, and The Black Horse Tavern is one of them. I am so happy we tried this place - we will certainly be adding it to our small list of places we can go for delicious, safe food. My husband, who has no food allergies, enjoyed his rack of lamb tremendously. Done to perfection!Special Features:
- Ok overallsilverchikDined on 3/29/2014The waitress was very friendly and helpful. the interior decor provided a very nice ambience. we were not in a hurry, which was good because the service was slow paced, which is good for a nice relaxing meal. We sat in front dining room, which had a nice fire going. The food was hit or miss. My husband's crab cocktail appetizer was delicious. My salad special was not good. It came with such an overpowering spicy mustard dressing, that you couldn't taste anything else. My NY strip came out and was cooked very nice medium well, as ordered with nice complimenting side dishes. My husband's medium rare filet came out "well done" and lacked any flavor. The chocolate cake desert w/ salted caramel drizzle was delicious.Special Features:
- Rotten ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014I have been here twice in last 9 months and the service is absolutely horrible. Mixed up orders, waiting ages for drinks and then a 20 minute for the bill (despite numerous requests to several different wait staff). Won't be back.
- Always enjoyable!bjmaDined on 3/6/2014I love going to the Black Horse Tavern and Black Horse Pub. It is the perfect place to gather with friends or have a private dinner. The staff is exceptionally helpful and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even Grandma was impressedRonRDined on 2/8/2014I couldn't imagine a better place for a small family celebration. They offered us a private room when we made the reservation (its upstairs) at no extra cost. Everything was outstanding. Prices are reasonable. Even Grandma, who is quite outspoken, was impressed and did not criticize anything (which is unusual).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affordable upscale diningSaturdaysDined on 2/1/2014The Black Horse is one of those places where one can get a fantastic meal and great service and talk about the experience for days. I suggest staying away from the bar area, which can get rather loud, if you prefer a quiet dinner. The salmon entre was outstanding, which I coupled with the warm spinach salad. It doesn't get any better than that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice eveningLchiafulloVIPDined on 1/11/2014After 14 years of living in the area, finally found myself at the Black Horse Tavern. Nice old place, small bar in the Tavern side and decent food. Prices are reasonable for the area as well. Our table tried a variety of the dishes, and all were satisfied (prime rib, scallops, salmon and roasted half-chicken). Only complaint -- mashed potatoes tasted like they were made from boxed flakes, but maybe it was just an off night for the potato cook!Special Features:
- Food was very good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/10/2014Food was very good and the service we received was excellent. The restaurant had an OK ambience but nothing special. We went on a Friday and by 9:30 we were the last people in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great placeNJHikerDined on 12/31/2013The Black Horse Tavern is a great restaurant. I'm a big fan of the Black Horse... if you want to have a nice dinner, you can go to the Tavern side and find a excellent menu and wine list. If you want a beer and a bowl of chili or burger, the Pub side is great, too. We had a set menu for New Year's Eve, which wasn't mentioned on the website, but worked out just fine. The prime rib mac and cheese as an appetizer was awesome. Everything was really good, and the wine list was great as well. The restaurant even brought out complimentary glasses of champagne for the table to celebrate the evening. The Pub has a great beer selection, but the Tavern didn't seem to... only gripe, and it is a small one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of controlchrisVIPDined on 12/28/2013The night my wife and I dined there the restaurant was out of control. A table of eight waited 90 minutes for food to arrive. We waited over an hour to receive overcooked entrees which were cold...I can only imagine they were overcooked and then set aside to cool to room temperature. Management was no where to be found and eventually we left having sent back our meals, to assurances that we and the other diners would be satisfied if we only waited a little longer. We shall not return.
- Excellent Holiday DinnerjmbeDined on 12/24/2013Service was efficient - even on busy holiday Christmas Eve - staff good natured even during busy times. Food was very good as well, and seating in one of the small rooms - away from the main crowds really helped us - given ages ranging from 92 years on down! Most accommodating and very pleasant experience - plan to return.Special Features:
- We were a table of eight.Needles56Dined on 12/21/2013We were a table of eight. It was a Saturday night, but not really that busy. our waitress was pleasant enough but was slow to refill water glasses..never offered a second bottle of wine..and gave my wife a butter knife instead of a steak knife to cut her pork chop. the food was solid..not spectacular..but again, waitress never offered sides.Special Features:
- I didnt get itRACERXDined on 11/23/2013Most reviews seemed ok, so we gave it a shot. Had to ask for bread...no big deal...but you claim to be upscale...so let's do the little things. Our waitress was friendly....NJ diner friendly...not that this was much of an issue...just a bit misplaced. Brough our appitizer... a very tasy crab cake,,,10 minutes later, for no apparent reason...brough another...??? Wifes prime rib as so much 'jus with it, it looked like a prime rib soup. She also got a baked potato....just a potato....no butter, sour cream, gravey, or even a chance of anyone asking. We were two people, but were seated at a lovely table that would have held 6...felt a bit odd. This is not a bad place...just not deserving of the hype. Locals need to expect more
- Great by the FireOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/22/2013Amazing dining experience close to fire in a beautiful room. Excellent for special occasions and make sure you read about the history of the building before you go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013We went for a special birthday and everything was great - The service -food and drinks - Everyone's dinner came out perfect - It was a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Perfect for couplesSaturdaysDined on 11/9/2013Fantastic food with a beautiful atmosphere! Have visited the Black Horse Tavern many times and always find the food outstanding! The servers are always very accommodating and the atmosphere subdued and warm. A great place, reasonably priced and the quality of the food is above the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Review Ever.10happypeopleDined on 11/9/2013We had a group of 10. My wife and I were at The Blackhose Tavern once before. This was the first time for our 8 friends. We all had a wonderful time and our entire group thought the food was fabulous. Our waitress was Geraldine and she was a pleasure. Thank You and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great, live musicCdflip78Dined on 11/8/2013Service was great, live music was great, ambiance was great. Most entree's at the table were great but the portion size of the Grouper was almost laughable.Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantMintDined on 11/8/2013This beautiful 18th Century Tavern is romantic with excellent food and good service. We loved everything about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchKH4dinnerDined on 11/2/2013Dinner here was exquisite. Who would think to put shredded Prime Rib in Mac & Cheese, WOW! That was just the appetizer. The Prime Rib I had melted in my mouth and the Chicken my wife had was superb. The staff very courteous and a wonderful evening was had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thrilled we finally made it happen!mendhamfamilyDined on 11/2/2013My wife and I have been trying to make it to the Black Horse since we moved to Mendham in August. As hard as we tried, busy schedules stood in the way. However, we were fortunate to get a last minute early reservation for four this past Saturday evening and I'm truly thrilled that we finally made the time. We found the staff to be extremely professional and the ambience inviting. The food was OUTSTANDING! As someone who typically eats in the finest resturants in NYC and other major cities around the world, this local find is a MAJOR win. My entire family (kids 12 and 10yrs old) enjoyed the evening immensely and we'll surely be regulars at this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.