The Black Forest Restaurant
180 Esplanade Ave
Harrison Hot Springs, BC V0M 1K0Neighborhood:
Harrison Hot Springs
GermanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Black Forest Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blackforest-restaurant.com/
- Phone: (604) 796-9343
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 4:30 PM - 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Austrian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private dining for group of 50 or over.
- Private Party Contact: Vicky Ghotra 6047969343
A word from The Black Forest Restaurant
Welcome to BlackForest! We are proud to offer authentic German food that is both memorable and fresh but right here at Harrison Hot Springs. The Black forest restaurant over looks beautiful Harrison Lake just 10 km off Highway # 1. Our restaurant is family owned and operated since 1975 in Harrison Hot Springs. Come and enjoy delicious European food!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Black Forest Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (9)special occasion (9)fit for foodies (7)scenic view (6)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)romantic (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good but slow....luvharrisonDined on 11/8/2014The restaurant was very busy so ensure to make reservations! It was packed on a November Saturday night. Lucky for us we had reservations. The food was good, schnitzel was huge! Unfortunately, the service was very very slow... probably due to the overwhelming amount of people. Probably one of the most popular places in Harrsion for dinner!Special Features:
- Great Germany FoodschuenchuenDined on 10/26/2014Black Forest is the best Germany restaurant I have tried in BC. Though the menu does not have a lot of choices, but the food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyKkmmDined on 10/18/2014Good service, good atmosphere. The food was really good but I thought that it was definitely over prices for what it was, don't get me wrong it was great food, home cooked. Simple but good.Special Features:
- German Food Galorekitchenterror60Dined on 10/11/2014The Black Forest restaurant delivers authentic German food for those foodies that enjoy a carb/meat heavy diet focusing on pork. But then you then you need a good foundation for the original Weizenbier (wheat beer) which is imported directly from Bavaria. The Vienna Schnitzel is a favourite: a thinly cut well breaded delicacy that we eat there every time we go to Harrison. Check it out you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousbokotoDined on 10/5/2014I am a bit biased as I like the German food but nevertheless I think it is very good and all my companions liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Time FavouritejaysdinerDined on 9/26/2014The Black Forest is, and always has been, my family's go to dinner spot when visiting Harrison. Great, relaxed atmosphere and wonderful food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatoutDined on 9/15/2014We have eaten at the Black Forest before and enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere very much. This time we came early to take advantage of the early bird special. All four of us had the snitzel and were very satisfied with the price, quality and service we received. The Black Forest is our new replacement for the Copper Room at the Harrison Resort.Special Features:
- Dining with a dogGonetothebeachDined on 8/24/2014I reserved a table having asked them if we could bring our dog if we sat on the patio. They accommodated our request and when we arrived a table was reserved which was slightly away from the other customers which was perfect. The food was food. Very hearty and rich. The German pasta was a bit of a let down but the schnitzel and sausages and red cabbage were early good as was the fresh bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- startekieDined on 8/14/2014We had a family gathering (7 adults, 9 children). Our waiter was very accommodating with a good sense of humour. The meals were plentiful and well prepared. Everyone had meals exactly to their liking (several of have diverse dietary preferences). Prices are typical for the level of service and fare. The only reason for not giving 5 stars is our table was made up of a large round with a small rectangular appended which made it seem like 3 of us were cut off from the rest. (very minor complaint). I just hate giving perfect scores!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!beckstergDined on 8/1/2014It was better than I expected. Would love to eat there again soon, but will not be back until next year. The only downside was there was so much to choose from it was hard to know what to try.Special Features:
- Food, Service, Ambience all great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014My adult daughter, my wife and myself were celebrating a special occasion. We did not tell the establishment this and, we did not have to as everything was perfect! It was a warm night so we sat out on the patio overlooking the lake and a georgeous sunset while enjoying some cocktails. We were served by a waitress who has worked there many years. Server turnover is very low it seems as we always see the same people everyone we go there over the last 10 or so years. While we are far from expert on "German" style food we love the food they provide and actually start to crave it when we haven't been there for a while. We would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 44 reviews are from the The Black Forest Restaurant reviews archive.
- Always ReliableTheScenicDinerDined on 6/25/2014Have eaten here several times over the years. Food and service is always good. Best schnitzel, large portions, fresh food! We sat out on the patio for dinner. They warned us that the sun was coming around and the patio would get pretty hot, and it did! The music coming over the speakers was terrible, but the food and service more than made up for it!Special Features:
- fmfoodieDined on 6/22/2014Food was O.K. but nothing special. Cost of food did not warrant the quality. Service was nothing special either. Inside atmosphere was dated and musty and the small patio area outside had a great view but they only had plastic tables and chairs which again did not seem to go with their pricing.Special Features:
- Black Forest - German in HarrisonjimbeltonDined on 6/14/2014The Black Forest is hands down the best restaurant in Harrison Hotsprings. When the family that runs the Bavaria Haus in New Westminster took over operations, the BF was already good. They've upped their game, and, with its outdoor patio looking out on Harrison Lake, its a must when staying in Harrison. Favourites are the house salad, the goulash soup, Schnitzel Madagascar, and chocolate mousse. The staff are friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Love German food so had to try this place. Jaeger Snitchzel could use more gravey and the Spetzal was a bit dry. Enjoyed the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Week end at The HarrisonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Dinner was good , portions good , service prompt , was all GoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will DEFINITELY come backOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2014the server was very friendly and explained to us what their specialties were. my mom, my sister and I went there for mother's day dinner and WOW, was it delicious. the food came at a timely way even though they were busy and we enjoyed it to the last bite. my sister couldn't finish it and couldn't bare to leave it so she got a doggy bag. we will definitely go back there when we go back to harrison hot springs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many other better placesigloogirlDined on 5/1/2014Had a previous terrific experience a few years ago,so thought we'd go there for a special birthday dinner. We traveled about 45 minutes to have dinner there. The food was good. The service was mediocre at best...it started out great during drink & dinner order but after that....it went downhill. We weren't offered more coffee & when we asked for some, the server said yes but never brought any. We waited WELL over 20 minutes with empty plates with napkins on them after our meal (with her & other servers walking by us multiple times) & it wasn't super busy. I had wanted a birthday dessert but was disappointed with service so we asked for the bill, paid & left. I was a server so i always give places a fair shake but there's no reason for this
- Stick to SchnitzelOperatogoDined on 4/27/2014Very good schnitzel - Pacific and Cordon Blue although the menu included Bearnaise sauce which did not appear, might have been too rich. But the Rouladen was disappointing, light but the spaetzle was dried out, possibly overheated and the sauce was a demi glace when a creamier gravy would have been better. Veggies were dull and dry, could have been presented better if they had been freshly steamed and dressed with bit of hollandaise. Excellent red cabbage as usual.Special Features:
- This is a very good GermanNickDined on 3/21/2014This is a very good German restaurant! ... I strongly recommend it for dinner if you are in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and slow servicehappyeatsVIPDined on 3/21/2014Our server was friendly, but was missing in action after we were seated. We and finally flagged down the water staff to have her hunt our server so we could place our dinner order. Then another long waiting period. We were seated at 7:00pm, bread at 7:35pm, and then finally our dinners arrived at 7:40pm. But there was a problem. It wasn't our dinners and we did not touch our plates until our server realized that there had been a mix up in the kitchen (she blamed the kitchen). Back through the kitchen doors these plates of food went and a few minutes later, out those same plates came out and delivered to the correct table. 7:50pm our dinners arrived. Horray! Except the beef portion of my meal was cold. We won't be returning ever again.
- Food ok, disappointing experienceLonyDined on 3/14/2014Food was pretty good. I had the special "Schnitzel with asparagus" and it was tasty with good side dishes. Service was poor. Bread, food and drink arrived almost all at the same time so it felt like fast food at a high price. We were in and out of there in well under an hour. We went there for a special occasion (my birthday) and had made a reservation for which we showed up right on time. We were seated at a table for 4 (where the waitress hastily cleared the other two places) right next to a serving station. This meant we were constantly bothered by 2 staff members talking to one another while pouring coffee, water, etc. There were empty tables that looked intimate and well away from distractions.
- One of the best in HarrisonWRIgorDined on 3/5/2014This was the last of the higher-rated restaurants pn Harrison Hot Springs which we have visited. We hit the Wednesday night specials so ate very inexpensively. The Schnitzel was excellent as was the German beer on tap. Overall a wonderful experience. We will not hesitate to go there the next time we are in Harrison Hot Springs. In our opinion the three must-visit restaurants in Harrison are Morgan's (open only during the summer), the Black Forest, and the Copper Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good German foodUnclebutterDined on 2/23/2014Always predictably good! We've been here at least half a dozen times and never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wouldn't returnmicmacDined on 2/14/2014We came on Valentine's day and we had reservations. .we were sat in the very back corner of the restaurant where it was dark and gloomy. Our food covered the whole plate and was very unappealing. I would not return.
- Delicious Bavarian feastChrisDined on 2/14/2014Terrific food. Awesome Schnitzel, excellent Rouladen. Service was VERY slow. We had a reservation, on valentines day and our order MUST have been missed, yet no one cared to admit it as we watched tables seated and then served before us. When we brought it up politely with our server several times over the hour, we were eventually told "WELL... it is Valentines" - Unacceptable excuse. I felt my intelligence was insulted, as we could CLEARLY see table after table coming in after us and then watch them served their dinners before us. The particular couple behind us sat 20 MIN after our order was taken, and they had LEFT before our food arrived. Just tell us you made a mistake and then make it right on the bill like every other restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veganlunaskyDined on 2/14/2014We are a vegan family. The waitress and cook went out of their way to accommodate us, going further than the regular vegetarian meals provided. We would love to see more vegan friendly options, but were very satisfied by their effort and the food provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent German FareEliseDined on 2/9/2014Great ambience, great service, plenty of room around tables. Great food! Everything we ordered was excellent quality. Our waitress was friendly and comfortable, knowledgeable about the menu (including the beer and wine lists), and always seemed to show up just when we needed her. There were families with small children, couples having quiet dinners, large groups, and the restaurant is arranged in such a way that everyone seemed comfortable, I know we were. I would highly recommend that you give The Black Forest Restaurant a try if you're spend some time in Harrison. I know we'll be booking another reservation when we go back later this year!Special Features:
- HArrison GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/19/2014Our favourite Harrison Hot Springs Restaurant , we are never disappointed and ensure we always visit every time we are in town. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good German food. ServiceNewfieDined on 1/1/2014Good German food. Service a little slow, but enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas memoriesMike76Dined on 12/24/2013For years, we have gone to the Black Forest to enjoy the wonderful German food, the ambience, the service and just the pleasure of repeating a family experience we all enjoy. It is most special to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not disappointGr8foodDined on 11/15/2013We look forward to dining here when we are staying at Harrison Hotsprings. The staff are always friendly and accommodating. We made online reservations, but were running a little late due to poor road conditions. We called ti inform them and They had no problems fitting us in when we arrived. The food is always tasty, big portions and they have GF options. You not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedAnniversarydinerDined on 10/26/2013I booked the reservation on line and in the special comments section I advised that it was our anniversary and that my husband had actually proposed to me in that restaurant. For some reason I thought they might try to recognize this by a nice table or even a mention of the special occasion. They didn't do anything special and we were seated in one of the worst tables. The food was mediocre, the server was nice but the service was slow as they were understaffed. I will try to hang onto the fond memories I have of this restaurant back when it was an amazing dining experience when service was important. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone...ever.
- Octoberfest?CruiserDined on 10/26/2013We had a large group of 13 Our table was ready for us within 5 min or so from arriving which was fine. Unfortunately our drink orders weren't taken for another 15+ minutes and so we didn't have anything to drink for pretty close to 30 minutes! This is always a no no to me as this is quick easy money for a restaurant to make and I always scratch my head a bit when they don't at least get these going immediatelyOur dinner orders were taken at probably the 45 min to 1 hour timeframe and we didn't see our main courses for 2 hours from arrival and then the vegetables were cold but have to say the food was very tasty so no complaints really on the food! Our waitress was very friendly and helpful and I felt doing the best she could.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD AND SERVICEBillyBobDined on 8/12/2013We were very impressed with all the meals our party of four ordered from the goulash to the schnitzel dinnersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated a birthdayPomiceDined on 7/8/2013We have had lunch and dinner at the Black Forest. We received prompt and friendly service. There is a nice selection of foods. All items were delivered hot and delicious. This is a fine place to go for authentic freshly cooked foods. Since this was a special ocassion it was wonderful that everyone enjoyed their selection . We will be sure to recommend to our friends and make this one of our regular places to visit.Special Features:
- The best Bevarian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2013The Black Forest Restaurant had the best German food that we ever had. We had a late lunch (4:10pm) so it was quiet. The server was experienced, not overly friendly, left us alone to enjoy the nice scenery, and the food was really good!! We had mushroom cap for appetizer and the combo dinner. The bread was warm and soft served with fresh whipped butter. The mushroom was covered in a nice layer of cheese, and mixed with shrimp and squid that was flavorful. The combination dinner offered really great beef rouladen, brawurst and schnitzel. The red cabbage on the side was the best we have ever had. We would definitely go back the next time we visit Harrison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep coming backHaroldski8797Dined on 7/2/2013The food is plentiful and spectacular. The Brussel sprouts are to die for. first time I tried them. I've never had an issue with my reservation or service except this time. I forgive because the food is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Schnitzel ChoicesBobJDined on 6/30/2013We chose this restaurant as we love the range of choices fro Schnitzels and it did not disappoint. Wonderful setting with views of Harrison Lake, Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, but the foodlfrank5573Dined on 6/10/2013Great Service, but the food has goon down in quailtySpecial Features: