The Bistro at South River
Edgewater, MD 21037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Bistro at South River
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.golfclubsr.com/bistro.php
- Phone: 4107985865
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Quintin West
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Bistro at South River
Exquisite food. Extraordinary setting. Avoid the hustle of downtown Annapolis and experience fine dining at one of Edgewater’s most serene settings. The Bistro offers the perfect getaway for family and friends. Located at The Golf Club at South River.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Bistro at South River reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)special occasion (1)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- A Good Night in South RiverSaundersVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have been going to the Bistro since they did an extensive renovation about two years ago. It a beautiful venue with stone and mahogany accents. This was, however, our first visit in the summer. I need to preface that we don't golf, and have never been here in the daylight. That said, this is a restaurant on a golf course and we were there in the evening after a rainy Saturday in August. We were the only people in the restaurant. At 8:00. On a Saturday. When the restaurant called us to confirm our reservation that afternoon, I assumed it was because they were busy. It was actually because they were dead empty and wanted to close early. We had a wonderful meal. The chef even stopped by our table. We never felt rushed and will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ho humOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Nothing special about this place. Very limited menu and very pricey. Waiter graciously offered up the bar's appetizer menu which has far more choices and more adequately priced. Perhaps they should just go with that. I can't imagine going there for a $35 entree. The view isn't that great. We had window seats but still could not see the golf course hardly at all let alone any golfers. We were happy with our appetizers and our waiter was quite nice.Special Features:
- Nice experienceCherDined on 8/15/2014A small group of ladies had lunch. Wait staff was very pleasant and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service Food DisapointingBoobsieDined on 7/11/2014Nice table outside with view of the golf course, trees, ponds and geese. Waiter was very nice and attentive. The Bruchetta appetizer was soggy and overdressed with balsamic. The Sea Bass was good but the spinach and risotto sides, though nicely cooked, were oversalted & inedible. The fajitas were pretty good, but the flank steak tough. Wine was good and list average. I would not dine here again due to the disappointing food.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriesLuckyDined on 6/28/2014First time dining at this location. Sat on veranda overlooking the 18th hole. Magnificent view of sweeping trees, ponds and walking bridges. Martini just the way I like it (shaken not stirred - tiny slivers of ice, very, very dry - no vermouth, and 3 big juicy olives - no olive juice). Excellent meals. Recommend the lamb chops. Now only the second restaurant in the Washington DC metropolitan area I will order them. Next time I'll order the Chilean sea bass just to be different. Topped off with chocolate/hot fudge cake. Looking forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Would give it six stars if I couldWardDined on 6/21/2014We took advantage of the OpenTable 1,000 point promo and went to the Bistro at South River for an early dinner. The place was very quiet with only a few golfers enjoying the outdoor deck. The service and food was just fantastic; we felt like royalty. The recommendations were very helpful and spot on. The menu is somewhat limited in terms of the total number of items but the variety was good and both of our entrees were memorable. The steak served over cheesy, crabby potato wedges is even better than it sounds.Special Features:
- Yum yumElizabethDined on 6/6/2014This place was great! My boyfriend and I had a date night out, that we were way over due for, and it was the perfect fit! The food was fantastic and the service was wonderful as well. I'd definitely recommend this place to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Night OutDougInLaurelDined on 5/22/2014My wife and I had dinner at The Bistro at South River on the occasion of our 38th wedding anniversary. We both love seafood, and it came highly recommended for that. It's basically a restaurant/bar at a country clubhouse - not a bad thing, as it is a beautiful building with outstanding views and ambiance. We reserved for two at 6 pm on a Thursday evening in late May and would have had no problems getting seated without the reservation. My wife ordered the sea bass and I initially ordered the crab meat ravioli, which it turned out they were out of - that seemed odd to me for so early in the evening on a week day. So I also ordered the sea bass, and was not disappointed. We shared a brownie sundae for dessert, which we both enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for BrunchcjdurandDined on 5/11/2014This was an accidental find on my part to take my Mother-in-law out for brunch on Mother's Day. I was taking a chance since I hadn't been there before but the food was perfectly cooked, it had a great variety, and for $30 it was a bargain. I wish they did brunch all the time as it was one of the best I have been to!Special Features:
- Nice place, but...SteveinANPVIPDined on 3/14/2014It's in a private golf course and the restaurant is the clubhouse. While my friend and I were there, the staff were polite and accommodating, but the other patrons were obviously curious who these people were sitting at their bar having dinner. I had to retrieve something from my car and walked back into the establishment feeling a bit uncomfortable as everyone obviously stopped to see who I was before returning to their conversations. Dinner choices were good and the prices were okay but you can eat at Ruth's Chris for almost the same price and not feel like you're an intruder.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014The food and service were not bad however for the price I would have expected better food. The food is priced like a high classed restaurant and I feel the food was lacking that quality. However you are paying for the fact that it is on a golf community.Special Features:
- Too expensiveWinksVIPDined on 1/12/2014Too expensive for a so so brunch. Nice club house atmosphere and pleasant helpful staff
- New Years Eve at the BistroSammycDined on 12/31/2013We had a very enjoyable evening at the Bistro. A great table near the fireplace, very good service and food that was well prepared. Chef had a great menu for the evening. Our table had everything from seafood to prime rib. All was tasty and the beef was exactly as ordered. Thank you Bistro staff and chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My ReviewBluesfan60Dined on 10/25/2013I was there for a early afternoon meal with a friend.The food and service were acceptable but nothing special.Special Features:
- I got the caesar salad andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2013I got the caesar salad and it was all croutons...kinda disappointing. Everyone else enjoyed their food greatly!
- Just OKBlackcloud71Dined on 6/8/2013Food was alright, but nothing to write home about. Seems a bit pricey for the type of restaurant. It is at a golf course, so don't expect a "fine dining" experience. Lots of families with kids from the surrounding neighborhood, so was a bit loud.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/5/2013An exceptional brunch buffet of entrees as well as an omelet bar (with crab among the ingredients) and very tempting desserts. The service was outstanding and the mimosas we a real treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is in whatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013This restaurant is in what used to be the clubhouse for a golf course. It is LOUD! It's basically filled golfers and their wives who just shot a round of golf. The food was mediocre at best but priced like a restaurant of much higher calibre. Menu selection is limited to just a handful of items in each section, but they had quite a few specials. However the waitress read the specials directly off a list so fast it was hard to understand what she was saying. Don't go there expecting a quiet dinner, food and service average.Special Features:
- A very enjoyable evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/3/2013A very enjoyable evening. The bar looked like a great place to sit and converse. Parking is not a problem. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Best Onion SoupDoinwhatcomesnaturallyVIPDined on 3/30/2013Brought our family out for a pre-Easter dinner. Our first time at the Bistro. It is on a golf course and the views are very nice from the windows. The food was good--the French onion soup was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! Unfortunately the meat was over-cooked. We ordered prime rib (it was a special on Sat night) and all were well-done. I had lamb and it was well-done. Everything tasted great but not getting the main event right lowers the quality a few stars in my book. Would we go again...definitely for the soup and dessert. I would have to think hard before ordering meat again...sorry.Special Features:
- Food was fine nothing outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013Food was fine nothing outstanding - very small menu for choices. Nice atmosphere and our waitress was great! We would go again and want to try brunch!Special Features:
- Prime rib was perfectly cookedChrisDined on 3/23/2013Prime rib was perfectly cooked and fantastic flavor. We were full from dinner and took the dessert home. Upon opening it we found a sizable slice of cake in the middle surrounded by sliced strawberries on piped whipped cream. What a delightful surprise! Fantastic evening!Special Features:
- 20 minutes early for reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/201320 minutes early for reservation and no hostess at the desk. A busboy greeted us, went into the kitchen to get hostess. 3 minutes later to take us to our table. Nice decor/not busy. Booth table given was wobbly so we changed booths. Our server came up and we told her about the change and the table. Order the free range chicken and one of their specials "Bloody Mary rib eye". Salads were very good. Dinners slow in arriving due to our server assisting with a large group in the 2nd dinning area. Presentation of dish was nice. My broccoli overcooked. Disappointed with steak, thin cut. Came time for bill took nearly 10 minutes for waitress to collect my card and close.
- Friendly, quiet, relaxingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/10/2013Friendly, quiet, relaxing atmosphere with lots of room between tables (read "not too crowded").Special Features:
- Food was just OK. One inMaryVIPDined on 3/9/2013Food was just OK. One in our party had a steak that he said was tough and over cooked. I had prime rib special, not much flavor. My husband had the perch which he said was very good.
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/4/2013food was very good-- crab cakes excellent good value for money --great onion soupSpecial Features:
- Good value for the money.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/3/2013Good value for the money. Food was okay but not great. Staff were very cordial and helpful. Nice ambiance in newly-renovated section.
- Excellent brunchNSLDDined on 2/17/2013Four of us had brunch 2/17, using a coupon. The renovated dining room is gorgeous, complete with blazing fire. The food is ssoutstanding - roast leg of lamb or roast beef, chicken and fish choices, ceaser salad, made to order omlettes, plus complementary mimomas and lots of fresh fruit, pls lovely desserts. Something for everyone. Service was unpolished - our server would have done herself a favor if she had just brought a carafe of coffee for our table. Instead she made individual trips each time one of the four of us wanted some, and brought back a new cup - cup only, no saucer. It was a strange way to serve coffee and very slow. Otherwise I look forward to returning and would recommend it without hesitation for small or large groupSpecial Features:
- Tasty food. Competent service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013Tasty food. Competent service. A little pricey for club house atmosphere. We had a very nice meal. $31 for lamb chops was a bit high for 3 single chops. For double chops would have been a good price. Very good mushroom risotto. Nice wine list. Would go more often if prices were lower.Special Features:
- Try it, you'll like it!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013Very good food at reasonable prices in a quiet residential setting with a cosy fireplace and ample parking in the evening. Try it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- The smoke frok the fireplaceEFK4Dined on 2/14/2013The smoke frok the fireplace was overwhelming. The waitress and the hostess were terrific. The GM restocked the fire but really wasn't accommodating or friendly. The smoke ruined the evening.
- I've been here a few timesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013I've been here a few times and the food has always been great. But most of all I love the atmosphere and the ambiance. It's very cozy and comfortable. It's quiet enough to be able to have a conversation with other guests at your table but it's not uncomfortably quiet. There's a nice fireplace and it has an upscale yet very homey feel.Special Features:
- Wonderful Sunday brunch atOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/20/2013Wonderful Sunday brunch at the newly remodeled and reopened Bistro. Wonderful selection of breakfast and lunch items, great service and nice ambiance. We'll be back again soon.Special Features:
- A bit overpriced and withBonesDined on 1/19/2013A bit overpriced and with seven shrimp, three asparagus spears, a relatively stingy dinner, not to mention an inadequate fireplace fire.
- Newly renovated in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/8/2012Newly renovated in every way this is perhaps the most extraordinary venue in Annapolis. The menu is focused on local "farm to table" ingredients and the setting is an authentic Adirondack lodge building. The floors are even reconsituted pine from a factory that manufactured uniforms for the Union Army in North Philadelphia. Amazing place with terrific food.Special Features:
- The Bistro has just re-openedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012The Bistro has just re-opened and now with a new Great Room, with a huge open harth fireplace. It was a great experience that will only get better!Special Features:
- Upon arriving I sat at theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2012Upon arriving I sat at the bar and was pretty much ignored by the bartender. We ended up sitting outside which was very relaxing. The restaurant is on a golf corse and we watched the golfers play whatever hole it was that we could see. Our waitress, Aubrey was very nice and well informed. She took good care of us and answered all the questions we had for her.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchCoolComfortDined on 5/13/2012We went to the Bistro for the 1st time on Sunday for their Mother's Day brunch and it exceeded all of our expectations. The food, presentation and service were as good as we have had since moving to the Annapolis area 19 years ago. Although we sat inside, the tables out on the porch provide a picturesque view of the golf course.Special Features:
- Great after golf, not dinner outJMVenhausVIPDined on 4/3/2012Out dinner was good quality and promptly served, but nothing remarkable. From the look of their website you might think that the atmosphere is cozy and warm, but it is more of a cafeteria/clubhouse feel. Nice for after a round of golf, but not what I expected for a dinner out.Special Features:
- This is a neighborhood secret.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/26/2012This is a neighborhood secret. my friends, 2 ladies, long time Annapolitans, had never heard of it, but thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. No one cooks any more, so you will see more of us.Special Features: