The Bird & The Bread
210 South Old Woodward Avenue
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
The Bird & The Bread
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebirdandthebread.com/
- Phone: 2482036600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am -3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Comfort Food, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Adam Galloway
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Thursday Late Night Happy Hour often features live music. Please call for details, or check our events schedule on our web site.
- Special Events: Please check our web site or facebook for all upcoming special events.
A word from The Bird & The Bread
The Bird and The Bread, a European comfort food inspired concept in downtown Birmingham, MI. This restaurant broadens its beverage focus beyond a generous selection of unique wines to include a selection of over 100 beers, craft cocktails, and dozens of specialty spirits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Bird & The Bread - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
The Bird & The Bread reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (100)fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (46)good for groups (46)great for lunch (32)notable wine list (31)hot spot (25)kid-friendly (25)vibrant bar scene (24)special occasion (22)great for brunch (22)late-night find (14)romantic (8)scenic view (4)Show More
- I would go againAndraDined on 9/12/2014Great menu. Service was good they were busy but not something our server made us aware of. We both ordered spicy salad and mitten burger. We both enjoyed the salad, fries were really good burger wasn't as tempature hot as I would of liked but great taste. Would differently go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Evening out!dja17chaosDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful evening with great friends at The Bird & The Bread! Daniel, our server, was outstanding! Excellent service and many suggestions that were perfect! Great wine, delicious food, excellent service and great company to share it with at a very nice outside table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Good food, great drinks, service was good and a pretty cool atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mrs.ChipinthehamDined on 8/31/2014The coffee was the best part of our breakfast....the food was completely cold and dry. Too bad, because every thing else about the restaurant was amazing!!!Special Features:
- Can't Wait to Go Back!KtlnevDined on 8/30/2014My friend from out of town and I went here over Labor Day weekend, we had such a great time. We had the calamari and octopus appetizer which was delicious. My friend ordered the Mitten Burger since it has all MI ingredients-she was impressed with how tasty it was. I had the pork, it was amazing. For dessert we had the lemon dessert that was nice and light. Very cool place with different types of people from kids to seniors and everything in between. Service was quick and courteous.Special Features:
- great food, fun placeoccasionaldinerDined on 8/30/2014Four of us enjoyed excellent dinners and wine Saturday evening. We really enjoyed talking with two managers/wine stewards about our wine choice and the difference between this Birmingham Restaurant and their other restaurant in Ann Arbor. The service was rather slow, though, but the staff is still relatively new and learning. I expect this will improve. Definitely worth going to, and we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent setting, food and winewineygolferVIPDined on 8/30/2014Interesting menu, well-prepared dishes, attentive service, reasonably-priced wine list, all in a pleasant, uncrowded outdoor setting.Special Features:
- great food!larsbarDined on 8/23/2014The beef short ribs in chocolate stout sauce... AMAZING!!!! Great wine and beer selection. So glad we came here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reviewer21Dined on 8/23/2014First visit Enjoyed the "wood" room for atmosphere The wait for the food from the ordering time was too long for us - long lull after finishing salad Two in party thought food was very good, two thought the food was only ok Food is family fare, with some dishes having a contemporary twist A return visit depends on if a very slow paced evening is wantedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh.Jac418Dined on 8/18/2014Second time here and still not impressed. Food is forgettable. Calamari was gritty, seafood pot was pretty bland, however the corn chowder was excellent. Waitress was lovely, but just as first time there, service is scattered and unorganized. Wish the menu was more exciting and with a little more depth of flavor. Could be such a knock out.Special Features:
- Food was marginallive2eatDined on 8/17/2014We went during Dreamcruise weekend, and the restaurant had a limited menu. The food was marginal: my Cesar salad had barely an dressing and minimal romaine lettuce. My friend's margherita pizza did not have proper tomato sauce on it. My salmon was overcooked even though I asked twice for medium rare. My husband's chicken and potatoes were soggy. I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Dream CruiseboboVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our first visit to B & B was for lunch during the Dream Cruise. We scored a table outside & ordered off the special menu. Everything was great....we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/15/2014The evening that we had dinner there was the night of the Woodward Dream cruise and they had a limited menu . We sat in the outside area with kids screaming in the background. There was a sign for valet parking but it was for the valet stand for the restaurant across the street. Would be better if they had their own valet valet parking....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner OutsideTaxChickVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had dinner for four last Saturday night. The food and the service were excellent. The outdoor eating area is comfortable and lively.Special Features:
- been there before will go againjohnymckDined on 8/7/2014food good, a wonderful way to spend a social evening with friends. cheerfull waiters, got to try the octopus/squid starter, thought I was in GreeceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My second visit was very goodRandizzle64VIPDined on 8/5/2014For starters, literally and figuratively, you should start with the brioche and brisket sliders, as well as the spinach and artichoke in phyllo dough. I added the grilled calamari and octopus, which I also thoroughly enjoyed. I had the duck for dinner, which was very tasty but a bit salty. My daughter had the Michigan burger which she really liked, but also noted it being a bit on the salty side. Still, I definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious!StaifDined on 8/1/2014When I first came here for lunch, the experience was so-so. Friday night's dinner for a group of 5 was great though! We had a terrific server who was very attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable. The food was all so good, everyone in the party was full and happy. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Absolutely love this restaurant! The food is amazing! There is a great selection of wine and beer. The servers are knowledgeable and friendly. Cannot wait to go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed eating outside. The service was good but the food was just average. I am hoping for improvement. We really like the restaurant!Special Features:
- Hiding in Plain SightamgfrVIPDined on 7/24/2014This unassuming street corner holds favors of Europe. Supper was lamb sausage worthy of a wine bar in Paris. The depth of the draft beer list was amazing. The truffled frites starter was gone in minutes-crisp and delicious. The pizza crust was full of flavor with plenty of satisfaction in the sauce and diablo toppings. I have visited for lunch and supper and have plans for brunch. Service was friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Overall good night!IluvmynaplesdiningDined on 7/23/2014We had a birthday celebration so wanted a place we could celebrate! We had to wait a little for table outside which wasn't too bad. The food was good- our service was ok... We were having fun but I don't think the waitress was... When we wanted dessert- they were out of several things .. Brought the desserts and put candles in them and walked away- had to locate some one to light them... But nonetheless we had a good evening... Wait staff could have tried to enhance the good time instead of being cold...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/19/2014Great food and drinks but Service was a little slow considering it wasn't that busy when we dined there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Have been there 3 times now and almost always very good service and food. Last visit the staff made every effort to work with our time constraints and it was excellent customer service! One other time the waitress was very, very slow in getting to us and seemed to be the only one working the patio area...but we came backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic servicejjr80Dined on 7/12/2014Best service and staff around. From the moment you walk in, the staff is warm and genuine. Fantastic ambiance, great food and menu, with none of the attitude or snugness common elsewhere in Birmingham. My new and lasting favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something for everyoneSallygalDined on 7/12/2014They have a variety of seating i.e. regular seating in various dining room spaces, some high tables around the bar, and an outdoor terrace. Eclectic menu with lots of options and price points so can accommodate those who want mainly small plates/appetizers, a hamburger or salad or in-house made pizza, as well as those who want a more substantial dinner (steak, seafood, duck). Seafood pot special was excellent and burger also got rave reviews. Wine list is also varied and solid. Great place for date night during weekends or on more quiet week nights with the kids. They have one of the few children's menus I've seen that is well thought out and executed--not all pre-fab bar food. Very glad to have them as an addition to the B'ham scene.Special Features:
- Great dinner, happy to go again!!!EandLDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed our dinner very much. The service was excellent. Menu was unique and delicious. Drink selection was very nice. They also have a back room that is beautifully decorated for private parties!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKrickDined on 7/10/2014This was the second time dining at this restaurant, only because my bf and I received a GC from the manager after a displeasant dining experience. I have to say this time was better yet not the best. We sat down at our reservation time, water came right away. The server also greeted us right when we sat down, which is unlike the last experience of waiting 30 mins to even be greeted. We needed time to look over the menu and the server gave us an ample amount of time, in fact too much time. We had to get 3 people to find our server to order, which took another 20 mins. We were at the restaurant for 30 mins without even ordering anything. However once we ordered, the food came promptly in a timely manner. Food was good, server was friendly.
- So-so diningJojoDined on 7/9/2014The only people in the restaurant were in the outdoor seating, so reservation were not necessary, empty restaurant inside. Chicken overcooked, tasted as though reheated, lamb rope sausage tasted like on the verge of going bad, not fresh at all. Salmon was fine, and Brisket sliders were very good as well as the tomato basil soup.Special Features:
- Good New RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/8/2014Food was on the brink of creative, for a new restaurant it was good. Still needs some work, but the service was good, very personable.
- Food was great-Service not so muchGNO20Dined on 7/8/2014Sat outside to dine. It took a really long time to just place a drink order. They were not that busy on a Tuesday at 6:00pm. Once we placed the order it took some time to get the two glasses of wine and iced tea. The waitress did not take our order until 7:00pm. Food did not arrive until 8:00pm. Food was really good had the beets and ricotta along with the fish and chips appetizer. I would go back but I would advise the waitress I would not want a three hour dinner.Special Features:
- Gave it a second chanceGrazieVIPDined on 7/6/2014We had dinner and the food was excellent. After requesting as outside table, they did not have one so while we waited the nice, young, manager offered a drink on the house. We were very happy with his concern to make us enjoy our night. We will spread the word on this good restaurant with a wonderful patio.Special Features:
- Surprising goodshopperlkdVIPDined on 7/5/2014Had not heard good things but was surprised w an excellent dinner for me and my husband ate outside on a beautiful eveningSpecial Features:
- Nice atmosphere, just OK foodRaviVIPDined on 7/3/2014Short summary: the food is perfectly cooked, but the flavor combinations in it are strange. Wouldn't avoid the place, but won't likely be seeking it out either.
- New RestaurantFrequentdinerDined on 6/28/2014The food was good, and I'd go back again, but I was disappointed that they charge $5 for a bread basket. I'm a bread snob and after paying $5 for the basket I expected amazing bread. It was only so-so. (The best was the corn bread.) Also, if you are a party of two, and you want to sit outside, one of you may end up with a view of a parking lot! Service was excellent and very accommodating. Sitting on the patio was lovely once we were able to switch our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not running backJeffDined on 6/27/2014Went to The Bird & Bread for dinner with my family (7 people total) and wasn't sure what to expect because this was my first time here. The server (who was also the bartender) was great and the atmosphere was just as delightful.... the food on the other hand wasn't anything special. The wait for them to bring the food out for 7 people wasn't horrible but when they forgot one of our meals it took them another 30 mins to bring it out. The whole table had finished their dinners before they brought out the forgotten meal. Chicken was good and so were the mussels. Great bar but the restaurant needs some work in the kitchen before I head back.Special Features:
- DisspapontinggoodeatsDined on 6/27/2014We pulled up and there was a sign for valet, yet there was no valet. The main reason I chose this restaurant was for their French Onion Soup and Scallops which I saw on the online menu. However when we sat down to order (which was about 30 minutes after our reservation time) neither one of those options were on the menu. They nicely informed me that they changed the menu the day before but had been too busy to update the menu on their website. The service was extremely slow for a place that had plenty of open tables. The best part of the meal was the appetizer spinach artichoke dip and the pinot noir we ordered. The drinks at the bar were nice as well while we waited for our table. At $110 a person I would have expected much more.
- Ever so Mediocrelc13Dined on 6/25/2014Service was slow and not what I am used too at a restaurant of this caliber. Food was good but the menu choices were limited and there weren't specials. Water were served at room temp and the waitress seemed very disinterested in being at work. It looked nice in the open-aired seating area, but we were sat wayyyyyyyy in back, even though the rest of the restaurant was empty. I had high hopes, but this did NOT meet my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinneralanDined on 6/25/2014One of the diners requested for her birthday specifically this resturant. We waited over 1:20 minutes for our dinners to arrive. When we were finally served the soup was cold, the hamburger that was$17.00 was not prepared properly and the cheese was not melted. The cod was served cold. All were sent back. The owner came over and basically was very condescending. Would not recommend or revisit for a second chance
- Will go backDeplDined on 6/25/2014Great meal! Had mussels and braised short ribs. Loved the use of local ingredients . Large covered area to sit outside . Could be a bit noisy inside with the high ceiling and wood floors.Special Features:
- Great new Birmingham eatery!SublimeDined on 6/25/2014I went with my girlfriend for dinner. We ate on the patio and loved it. The lamb sausage is to die for! Going back with my husband this weekend. Excellent service, too. A real gem in Birmingham.Special Features: