The Bird & The Bread
210 South Old Woodward Avenue
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
The Bird & The Bread
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebirdandthebread.com/
- Phone: 2482036600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am -3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Comfort Food, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Adam Galloway
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Thursday Late Night Happy Hour often features live music. Please call for details, or check our events schedule on our web site.
- Special Events: Please check our web site or facebook for all upcoming special events.
A word from The Bird & The Bread
The Bird and The Bread, a European comfort food inspired concept in downtown Birmingham, MI. This restaurant broadens its beverage focus beyond a generous selection of unique wines to include a selection of over 100 beers, craft cocktails, and dozens of specialty spirits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Bird & The Bread - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
The Bird & The Bread reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (68)fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (36)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (17)special occasion (16)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (7)romantic (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Restaurant is cool, great location, but pricy for what we got. Menu didn't thrill us. If you don't want a pizza or a $17 Hamburger, there's wasn't much else we were interested in that was under $28 or $30. We spent a lot more than we needed to on a dinner we could've gotten off a sports bar menu.
- Delicious rotisserie chicken!MarcyVIPDined on 10/16/2014Shared a rotisserie chicken with two delicious sides - mac & cheese and mashed potatoes. Food was flavorful, hearty and hot! Friendly and attentive server... Much better than our first experience months ago; we'll be back!Special Features:
- Will Add This to List of FavoritespizzaloverDined on 10/16/2014Everyone in our group loved the food. The Moroccan Chic Pea Soup was outstanding. We ordered three different pizzas. all were excellent. the service was top notch. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior Food and ServicePadawan60Dined on 10/15/2014Simply a delight -- some of the best food and service we've had at a restaurant in recent memory. We liked the interior design; it was sleek and upscale while at the same time being casual and welcoming. Our server was charming and attentive, stopping by at just the right intervals. My husband ordered the truffle fries and duck wings, and I got a basket of airy bread puffs and the gnocchi. Every item was perfectly cooked, hot, and delicious. We thought the portion sizes were just right, and the dishes were well-priced considering their high quality. The wine we selected (Guenoc Petite Sirah, $36) was also excellent. All in all, it was a lovely evening of extraordinary food and service, and we are already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Lunch SpotBHillsCasualDinerDined on 10/14/2014Nice ambiance, interesting food selections. The club sandwich was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loving New Menu & Unique FavoritesMsDineOutAlotDined on 10/13/2014Had dinner for the third time last night (have snacked at Happy Hour as well) - wanted to check out the new menu. Ordered the duck breast - delicious - not sure if I still don't LOVE the Duck Wings even more (they are a reason to go - period!) Co-diner #1 couldn't resist having the chicken dinner (again) because it's so darn good. CD#2 had new Lamb Shank and was in heaven. CD#3 had steak-delicious. Whole table VERY happy. Pumpkin dessert was awesome and the perfect finale. Brussel sprouts could use a little tweak~truffle fries a MUST-would love more dips to go with. Server Spencer was lots of fun and full of suggestions - loved how the entire staff work together to ensure diner's are happy and plates cleared quickly (a pet peeve). Be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014I've been here several times and the food has always been amazing. Very fresh, and I appreciate the seasonal menu changes. It's rare to find true vegetarian entrees, and there is always at least one at The Bird & the Bread. It's a great choice for dinner with family (they have a great kids menu) and/or friends if you're looking for great food in a welcoming atmosphere. If you're looking for a trendy bar scene, this isn't your place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutFulle1meDined on 10/10/2014Found this restaurant on OpenTable and read the reviews and decided to try something new. The service was great and the food was also very good. We ordered a bunch of smaller dishes to share - everything tasted great - I've had better pizza though. Overall, great food, great location, and awesome service. We will be back again!Special Features:
- Great foodMrshuntDined on 10/10/2014I've been here twice now. Both times, the food was very good. The mussels and octopus appetizer are great. The last time we went, my husband had the lamb special and said it was wonderful. I recommend the Captain Collins cocktail - not too sweet, but good flavor. The only thing lacking was the people. It was a Friday night and the restaurant was half full when we got there at 8, and we were the last table to leave at 10:30pm. I would have preferred a more energetic atmosphere.
- luv2dineDined on 10/4/2014Upon arrival we were greeted by the hostess who then directed a male host to seat us. His demeanor was less than friendly as a matter of fact he was very indifferent. Our waitress, Genevieve was delightful and very efficient. The mussels were in a very bland sauce (I recommend the chef consult with the chef at Bella Piatta a few blocks away to get his recipe which is unbelievably outstanding). The pom frittes were very good. Overall, it was an unremarkable dining experience. I don't think we will rush back any time soon. There are too many other options that are very good in Birmingham.
- MamaQmamaQDined on 9/27/2014Dined with 2 other couples. Requested outdoor seating when the reservation was made, but we were seated at a table adjacent to the kitchen with no explanation. Service-poor (the server was unpleasant and lazy…had to wait 15 minutes for salt/pepper, and she never came by for a second drink order.) Food-average. I ordered the "Bird" guessing that that would be the house specialty. It was boring, under-seasoned and bland. Nothing that anyone couldn't do with a roaster. The other diners felt the same with the exception of the burger, which was good. So disappointed. Will not return.
- ManagementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The manager came to our table and, after hearing that I didn't care for my meal and that it was my birthday, offered me everything on the menu. I did not care for anything else at the time, so he surprised me by sending every dessert that was on the menu, gratis! *Thank you!!* I go there often and I always get very good service and food. It's a great place to check out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced!CostanzaesqVIPDined on 9/26/2014Five dollars for a basket of bread? $18 for an entrée size Caeser salad with no meat? Food was average at best but for these prices it should be extraordinary. Friday night and restaurant is half empty. I will not return
- I would go againAndraDined on 9/12/2014Great menu. Service was good they were busy but not something our server made us aware of. We both ordered spicy salad and mitten burger. We both enjoyed the salad, fries were really good burger wasn't as tempature hot as I would of liked but great taste. Would differently go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Evening out!dja17chaosDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful evening with great friends at The Bird & The Bread! Daniel, our server, was outstanding! Excellent service and many suggestions that were perfect! Great wine, delicious food, excellent service and great company to share it with at a very nice outside table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Good food, great drinks, service was good and a pretty cool atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mrs.ChipinthehamDined on 8/31/2014The coffee was the best part of our breakfast....the food was completely cold and dry. Too bad, because every thing else about the restaurant was amazing!!!Special Features:
- Can't Wait to Go Back!KtlnevDined on 8/30/2014My friend from out of town and I went here over Labor Day weekend, we had such a great time. We had the calamari and octopus appetizer which was delicious. My friend ordered the Mitten Burger since it has all MI ingredients-she was impressed with how tasty it was. I had the pork, it was amazing. For dessert we had the lemon dessert that was nice and light. Very cool place with different types of people from kids to seniors and everything in between. Service was quick and courteous.Special Features:
- great food, fun placeoccasionaldinerDined on 8/30/2014Four of us enjoyed excellent dinners and wine Saturday evening. We really enjoyed talking with two managers/wine stewards about our wine choice and the difference between this Birmingham Restaurant and their other restaurant in Ann Arbor. The service was rather slow, though, but the staff is still relatively new and learning. I expect this will improve. Definitely worth going to, and we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent setting, food and winewineygolferVIPDined on 8/30/2014Interesting menu, well-prepared dishes, attentive service, reasonably-priced wine list, all in a pleasant, uncrowded outdoor setting.Special Features:
- great food!larsbarDined on 8/23/2014The beef short ribs in chocolate stout sauce... AMAZING!!!! Great wine and beer selection. So glad we came here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reviewer21Dined on 8/23/2014First visit Enjoyed the "wood" room for atmosphere The wait for the food from the ordering time was too long for us - long lull after finishing salad Two in party thought food was very good, two thought the food was only ok Food is family fare, with some dishes having a contemporary twist A return visit depends on if a very slow paced evening is wantedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh.Jac418Dined on 8/18/2014Second time here and still not impressed. Food is forgettable. Calamari was gritty, seafood pot was pretty bland, however the corn chowder was excellent. Waitress was lovely, but just as first time there, service is scattered and unorganized. Wish the menu was more exciting and with a little more depth of flavor. Could be such a knock out.Special Features:
- Food was marginallive2eatDined on 8/17/2014We went during Dreamcruise weekend, and the restaurant had a limited menu. The food was marginal: my Cesar salad had barely an dressing and minimal romaine lettuce. My friend's margherita pizza did not have proper tomato sauce on it. My salmon was overcooked even though I asked twice for medium rare. My husband's chicken and potatoes were soggy. I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Dream CruiseboboVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our first visit to B & B was for lunch during the Dream Cruise. We scored a table outside & ordered off the special menu. Everything was great....we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/15/2014The evening that we had dinner there was the night of the Woodward Dream cruise and they had a limited menu . We sat in the outside area with kids screaming in the background. There was a sign for valet parking but it was for the valet stand for the restaurant across the street. Would be better if they had their own valet valet parking....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner OutsideTaxChickVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had dinner for four last Saturday night. The food and the service were excellent. The outdoor eating area is comfortable and lively.Special Features:
- been there before will go againjohnymckDined on 8/7/2014food good, a wonderful way to spend a social evening with friends. cheerfull waiters, got to try the octopus/squid starter, thought I was in GreeceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My second visit was very goodRandizzle64VIPDined on 8/5/2014For starters, literally and figuratively, you should start with the brioche and brisket sliders, as well as the spinach and artichoke in phyllo dough. I added the grilled calamari and octopus, which I also thoroughly enjoyed. I had the duck for dinner, which was very tasty but a bit salty. My daughter had the Michigan burger which she really liked, but also noted it being a bit on the salty side. Still, I definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious!StaifDined on 8/1/2014When I first came here for lunch, the experience was so-so. Friday night's dinner for a group of 5 was great though! We had a terrific server who was very attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable. The food was all so good, everyone in the party was full and happy. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Absolutely love this restaurant! The food is amazing! There is a great selection of wine and beer. The servers are knowledgeable and friendly. Cannot wait to go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed eating outside. The service was good but the food was just average. I am hoping for improvement. We really like the restaurant!Special Features:
- Hiding in Plain SightamgfrVIPDined on 7/24/2014This unassuming street corner holds favors of Europe. Supper was lamb sausage worthy of a wine bar in Paris. The depth of the draft beer list was amazing. The truffled frites starter was gone in minutes-crisp and delicious. The pizza crust was full of flavor with plenty of satisfaction in the sauce and diablo toppings. I have visited for lunch and supper and have plans for brunch. Service was friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Overall good night!IluvmynaplesdiningDined on 7/23/2014We had a birthday celebration so wanted a place we could celebrate! We had to wait a little for table outside which wasn't too bad. The food was good- our service was ok... We were having fun but I don't think the waitress was... When we wanted dessert- they were out of several things .. Brought the desserts and put candles in them and walked away- had to locate some one to light them... But nonetheless we had a good evening... Wait staff could have tried to enhance the good time instead of being cold...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/19/2014Great food and drinks but Service was a little slow considering it wasn't that busy when we dined there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Have been there 3 times now and almost always very good service and food. Last visit the staff made every effort to work with our time constraints and it was excellent customer service! One other time the waitress was very, very slow in getting to us and seemed to be the only one working the patio area...but we came backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic servicejjr80Dined on 7/12/2014Best service and staff around. From the moment you walk in, the staff is warm and genuine. Fantastic ambiance, great food and menu, with none of the attitude or snugness common elsewhere in Birmingham. My new and lasting favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something for everyoneSallygalDined on 7/12/2014They have a variety of seating i.e. regular seating in various dining room spaces, some high tables around the bar, and an outdoor terrace. Eclectic menu with lots of options and price points so can accommodate those who want mainly small plates/appetizers, a hamburger or salad or in-house made pizza, as well as those who want a more substantial dinner (steak, seafood, duck). Seafood pot special was excellent and burger also got rave reviews. Wine list is also varied and solid. Great place for date night during weekends or on more quiet week nights with the kids. They have one of the few children's menus I've seen that is well thought out and executed--not all pre-fab bar food. Very glad to have them as an addition to the B'ham scene.Special Features:
- Great dinner, happy to go again!!!EandLDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed our dinner very much. The service was excellent. Menu was unique and delicious. Drink selection was very nice. They also have a back room that is beautifully decorated for private parties!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKrickDined on 7/10/2014This was the second time dining at this restaurant, only because my bf and I received a GC from the manager after a displeasant dining experience. I have to say this time was better yet not the best. We sat down at our reservation time, water came right away. The server also greeted us right when we sat down, which is unlike the last experience of waiting 30 mins to even be greeted. We needed time to look over the menu and the server gave us an ample amount of time, in fact too much time. We had to get 3 people to find our server to order, which took another 20 mins. We were at the restaurant for 30 mins without even ordering anything. However once we ordered, the food came promptly in a timely manner. Food was good, server was friendly.