The Bird & The Bear
2810 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77098Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
The Bird & The Bear
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebirdandthebearbistro.com/
- Phone: (713) 528-2473
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Elouise Adams Jones
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Customized to fit each guests needs. Please contact Roman Decena Manager for more details.
- Entertainment: Late night lounge Thursday and Friday.
A word from The Bird & The Bear
Known by generations for her hospitality, proprietress Elouise Adams Jones, a.k.a. Ouisie, serves an eclectic collection of Southern & Mediterranean foods with an excellent wine list to match. The Bird & The Bear gives Ouisie’s much-appreciated eclectic tendencies even more freedom. It is a little more casual than her San Felipe restaurant, Ouisie's Table, with lots of Southern flair and no shortage of surprises - in both menu and decor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Bird & The Bear reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (34)special occasion (33)great for brunch (27)good for groups (26)romantic (20)notable wine list (19)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Decent Food. Great DecorAmesVIPDined on 11/10/2014The food was good. Nothing too over the top. But I don't eat seafood, so my options were a lot more limited on selections. Decorated very eclectically inside. Good for a girl's night out.Special Features:
- Too much changingGracieDined on 10/19/2014Hubble & I went for the 1st time only to be told, as the menu was changing the next day, what we wanted was no longer available. Was the restaurant having a hard time? The food was OK but not what we expected so probably won't go back. Hated the annoying, repetitive Euro techno music making the place sound like a fashion runway show that never ended. Will find a better place to eat after the symphony when we come into town. So disappointed... was really looking forward to Ouisie's new venture. Should have gotten the chicken -fried steak which is one of her signature īdishes and probably would have been happy. The plantain crisp strips were tasteless and chewy with the red snapper, I discarded them. Dates, delicious, not the fois gras.Special Features:
- DeliciousLIZZYVIPDined on 10/18/2014The food was excellent. I really enjoyed the the steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch/lunch/dinner spotBethADined on 10/18/2014We went for brunch on Saturday for our daughter's birthday. She had several friends at one large table, and her dad and I sat at another table with our friends (per our daughter's request). It was a delightful experience. The food was great (with a varied menu), service was good, and the ambience was nice. Bottomless Bellinis and Mimosas for the adults. A great time was had by all. We've also been there several times at dinner. The food and service is always great in the evening, just like at brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner.RWH123VIPDined on 10/6/2014We enjoyed our dinner. Waiter was excellent. Will go back many times as a great place in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WTF with the CFS???OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014The restaurant has a small menu offering, so I expected my entree to be on point. I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak entree, and it was so awful I didn't finish it after 3 bites. The side items were equally bad; the bacon in the greens was burnt and so there were fatty black globs among the 3 leaves of collards, no garlic was harmed in the making of the garlic mashed potatoes, and I thought cornbread casserole would actually contain cornbread, not whole kernels of corn in some kind of congealed...something. Thankfully the waiter was attentive enough and realized that I didn't like it. I left hungry and had to go elsewhere to find more food.Special Features:
- MehNordVIPDined on 10/3/2014Everything was meh. Fried oysters were terrible. Fish was meh. Had been wondering what it was like. Won't return.
- GoodGoodeatsDined on 9/27/2014I have been here a couple of times in the last two months. Both times the food was good and the service excellent. The desserts were fabulous. I had a the pear tart and my friend had the meringue lime pie. Recommend to others.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not memorableElbiDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant is pretty, nice decor and service was very good. The food was okay. We didn't like the wine reduction on the escargot, we thought it was bitter. The blue cheese stuffed dates were good. The duck was well seasoned and juicy, delicious The lobster ravioli were also good. However, the seafood paella was not, too much bell pepper no peas (like menu describes).Special Features:
- Lunch last weekmde63Dined on 9/19/2014Service was really good. Food not up to par. I think maybe the regular chef wasn't there.
- First time visitingLIZZYVIPDined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent. I would definately go back. I recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great eveningEaterDined on 9/5/2014The food was excellent and the service great. We were able to enjoy our and conversation with our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Service was sub par. No drink refills unless you asked. Forgot one appetizer and we had to mention it to the waitress. .. She didn't pick up that we all had not touched our food and one person didn't have their ap. Long wait for service and it was not busy at all. Waitress was really friendly but got our drink order wrong. Some meals were fabulous others not great.
- Waste of a Good SpaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Went to this spot for a last minute brunch reservation because it was one of the few that could accommodate 10 people on short notice and because it was associated with Ouisie's Table, which is a Houston favorite. From start to finish, the experience was poor. The food was overpriced and unimaginative. A $17 eggs benedict should not come on a stale English muffin with a half inch slice of what looked like bologna. One of them came with scrambled eggs for some reason. The server, while courteous, also disappeared for long stretches at a time... No clue why as there were more servers than patrons in the restaurant. There are way too many good restaurants in Houston to waste time at this one. Just terrible from start to finish.
- Restaurant Week specialGs3538Dined on 8/30/2014Our dining party ordered from the Restaurant Week menu and were very pleased with the quantity, quality, and service. We especially liked the opportunity for a wine pairing for additional $10. Great idea. I wish the other Restaurant Week menus offered it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlandSuzie467VIPDined on 8/29/2014Service was outstanding. Best part was the salad and the dessert. The entrees were bland. Parmasean crusted trout very bland.
- Excellent FoodlovehrwDined on 8/29/2014The staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was delicious!Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantWeek ExperienceSavvyTDined on 8/29/2014Two friends and I joined here to enjoy the last days of Houston Restaurant Week. It was my first experience with The Bird & The Bear. I absolutely loved the decor, even in the restrooms (extremely clean). The servers were extremely professional, informative, timely and pleasant. I certainly enjoyed my wine, my meal and the ambiance. I'll most definitely be back!Special Features:
- Terrible- minus the foodnew2houstonDined on 8/23/2014When we first arrived, we were told by the valet that they had run out of available spots, and there was no where else to self park. The valet they told us, 'nevermind, he would figure it out'. I expected it to be packed inside! Not the case, there were ~5 full tables in the place. The hostess was not friendly at all, barely cracked a smile as she lead us to our table. Our server was friendly, but we had to check on the status of our order 3 times (it took us over an hour to receive our first course), had to ask for water and refills, the food arrived to our table in shifts and our server forgot one of our parties orders completely. It took 3.5 hours from beginning to end for brunch. Will not be back.Special Features:
- DSCNVIPDined on 8/22/2014Relaxed, casual atmosphere is very enjoyable. Always a varied menu and great service, thanks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhitVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food and service. My wife and I enjoyed the Houston Restaurant Week menu options. The crab cake appetizer was excellent, as were the main courses of rack of lamb and red snapper. Tiramisou for desert topped off a great meal. Two glasses of wine for $10 was also a wonderful surprise. We will return.Special Features:
- Great food & Great Service.jsparksHTXDined on 8/22/2014Went with my wife for the first time as part of the Houston Restaurant Weeks. The food was great, and the service we had was impeccable. All around a great meal and a great time. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- MrBohaiVIPDined on 8/22/2014Fried oysters for a started were pretty good; Gumbo was a little on the salty side and I couldn't finish it; We ordered two entrees, Damn Eggplant and fish of eh day. Neither were really edible; My oysters and shrimps seemed canned or frozen while my friends fish was inedible; Ordered margaritas afterwards, took way too long to get especially since there were only 8-10 people at the rest at that time after lunch; Also note that they sat the entire lunch crowd at tables next to each other in the back corner of the rest; No privacy at all. Will not be going back.
- LunchEKwilson36VIPDined on 8/19/2014Quite surprised to get front row parking, but being one of three tables filled for lunch during the week explained why. Overall the experience was not bad, but wonder if they will survive with such a light lunch crowd.
- Perfect end to a day!back4moreDined on 8/18/2014The Bird & The Bear was a perfect end to a day! The food and service were both great and we really enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant too! We will definitely be back for more soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereofthelionDined on 8/17/2014They ambiance of The Bird and The Bear is interesting. It has a very eclectic mix of decorations and the inside is very open and bright. We attended during restaurant week for brunch. The food was very good with a excellent variety on the regular menu. Even better, they have $12 bottomless brunch for mimosas and bellinis. The service was a bit slow and we had to ask for water and coffee constantly. Other than that we will definitely visit again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014We really want to like The Bird & The Bear. We have loved Ouisie's for a long time, and were really excited when this new concept from them came out. We went soon after The Bird & The Bear opened, loved the ambience, but the food was average at best. Just gave it another try, and had the same experience. It's a wonderful place in terms of ambience, pretty close to perfect for us. Nice but comfortable, open and airy but bustling. The food was again just average at best. Short rib, lamb chops, proscuitto wrapped chicken breast - all very blah to dry and bad. Service was poor, even though there weren't many guests dining that night. Two strikes and you're out for us.
- JustMeDined on 8/16/2014Great food and overall a great place. Really good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First VisittexasladyDined on 8/16/2014Four of us visited The Bird and the Bear for the first time during HRW. We selected from the HRW menu and were very impressed with the food. The rack of lamb, Red Snapper Oscar, Crab Cakes were perfect, as was the classic Caesar salad. The service was perfect, and we loved the décor of the restaurant. We will definitely be visiting again.Special Features:
- Houston restaurant month brunchSxdoddsDined on 8/16/2014Our food did come out quickly unfortunately they brought us the wrong appetizer and entrée but they did fix their mistake. The crab cakes and dessert was our favorite part of the meal. Their wasn't anything that special about the brunch food the poached eggs on the eggs Benedict were overdone and the French Toast was drenched in maple syrup I wished I'd known that so I could've ask for it on the side. We also got a cappuccino and mimosa (FYI they assume you want bottomless mimosa unless you tell them overwise). Our total bill ran us about $80.00 (a bit on the pricey side for a brunch). Overall, we'd probably only go back for drinks and desserts if we were already in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Ouisie's Table instead.....GlennJVIPDined on 8/15/2014Hard to believe this restaurant is owned by the same folks as Ouisie's Table... Won't be back. The place had a ceiling fan on so fast that it cooled off our food in about two minutes and the temporary fans circulating the air dried my eyes out...it was like sitting in a 20 MPH wind for an hour and half.
- good, but LOUDLarissaVIPDined on 8/14/2014We thought we would try it out for Restaurant Weeks. I had the crab cakes and lamb, which was quite tasty - but it was impossible to hold a conversation with my guest, and the place was not overly packed. I would come back for the food, but maybe not with the noise.Special Features:
- DisorganizedpoopyDined on 8/14/2014The food was okay, not great. The waitstaff, however, was perhaps the most disorganized group I could imagine, bringing the wrong dishes to the table, putting the correct ones in front of the wrong guests, taking too long to get items to the table, etc. A solid D-.
- Ask for George!cocomamaDined on 8/12/2014I took my husband for his birthday. We went at 9pm on a Tuesday for a quiet romantic dinner. Our server George was divine! He took excellent care of us. However, we were seated right next to a two top although there were very many free tables. We aren't complainers but we were forced to listen to their conversation throughout our meal. It diminished the experience for us. We did love the food and would recommend everything we had, the fish tostada, the shrimp and grits and the blue cheese crusted steak. If you do go, speak up about your table and ask for George!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was wonderfulRestaurantWeek1Dined on 8/11/2014I had the ribeye and it was cooked to perfection! The crab cakes and red snapper was a treat as well. Would definitely return again!Special Features:
- Service sloooowwwwwccbrownieVIPDined on 8/10/2014Met for brunch. Interesting decor, lively, live "embelished" DJ music, good food - sloww service. Dined on a Sunday; wines under $100 half off! Good deal. Server very slow and inattentive/indifferent. Ordered Rose Champs-brought a Brut. Waited & waited-told the Rose wasn't chilled. Went with the less expensive champs. Meals took a long time to arrive. Server not good at keeping us informed. Meals were very good, not fantastic. Check arrived - wrong champs charged (more expensive on bill, when I asked was told me they were the same price), requested menu to verify - $20 less. I will go again. I try to give the server the benefit of the doubt, I'll give them a pass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot better last yearOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We went to Bird & the Bear last year for HRW during lunch and it was amazing! So we decided to go this year for brunch and we were all highly disappointed. I would say the food was on par with your local Denny's diner. That bad. We were seated for probably 20 minutes and nobody even offered us a menu. I finally had to request a menu from our waitress. The whole dining experience left such a bad taste in our mouth. I was embarrassed to have recommended this place to my party. The french toast was soggy, too sweet and the quality of the bread was comparable to Mrs. Bairds. The seafood omelet was nothing special, couldn't really taste the seafood and it certainly didn't taste fresh. Crab cakes were more like crab balls.
- TellitVIPDined on 8/8/2014It was a busy Friday Night, although I had an 830 reservation for 2 But I waited at the bar for 30 minutes for my table. It was OK considering there were many tables done eating but they were camping out. Hostess was attentive and sat me as soon as a table was available. Food was very tasty, my lamb dish was very good but seemed to lack the Hot food temp, my wifes fish on the other hand was excellent. Apps we excellent crab cakes & Cesar's salad; Dessert was good. Wine list by the glass was weak but bottle list for good. Wine prices were very good. Service was a bit slow, it was the first weekend of restaurant week so they may have had more traffic than normal but the service was friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Everyone Deserves Second ChancesHoustonEatsDined on 8/8/2014The atmosphere was clean, mellow, and well lit. Music nice and volume not overwhelming. However, I'm not sure if it was due to Restaurant Week, but our waitress was extremely aloof, flustered, and rushed. Despite making reservations our table wasn't ready - so we sat at the bar. The bartender seemed too busy to to take our drink order. I understand sometimes people get tired or overwhelmed, but it was awful to feel as if we were in the way. We weren't asking for anything free and wanted a nice dinner with good service -- The food was unappealing and tasted mediocre. So in the end, bad attitudes weren't worth it. I wouldn't be opposed to trying Brunch - Maybe then the staff will feel refreshed and have a "start on a good foot" mentality.Special Features:
- long lunch time needed to eat hereNopeDined on 8/6/2014Our party was with 6 office workers. Within walking in we were seated right away, but it took some time before our waiter came by. The restaurant only had 2 tables with customers so it was a slow lunch. The waiters much be in collage, they were all huddled together goofing off while we had to wave one down for menus. We only get 1 hour lunch and the first 30 minutes were spent getting menus and drink orders. Finally we look through and decided pretty quickly what we wanted and waved down the waiter so we could put our orders in. It took awhile to get the food, but when we finally did we were all starving. The food was bland. Everyone's dish was plain. We left after 1.5 hour lunch, no one liked their food and no one was happy.