The Bent Brick
1639 NW Marshall Street
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Bent Brick
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebentbrick.com/
- Phone: 5036881655x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
Friday and Saturday 5:00 pm- 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Mead
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: THE FEAST $75 (FAMILY STYLE, CHEF’S CHOICE)
FAMILY SUPPER $60 (FAMILY STYLE, CHEF’S CHOICE)
CLASSIC DINNER PARTY $55 (PLATED, HOST CHOICE. DINERS HAVE MENU AT ARRIVAL)
BASIC DINNER $40 (PLATED, HOST CHOICE)
SEATED LUNCHEONS Available from 11AM-4PM as well
- Private Party Contact: Chevonne Ball 5036881655
A word from The Bent Brick
The Bent Brick is housed in an iconic ivy covered brick building in a quirky and laid back section of Slabtown, nestled between the Pearl District and NW 23rd. The Bent Brick offers an exceptional experience, including house butchered roasts and steaks, homemade pasta, scratch sides and charcuterie as James Beard Nominee Scott Dolich sees it. Cocktails and libations are crafted entirely from domestic suppliers. Sixteen wines on tap are sourced exclusively from small producers in Oregon and Washington. A well curated selection of Oregon microbrews is always on tap.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Bent Brick - Best Restaurants in Pearl District ›
The Bent Brick reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (19)great for outdoor dining (14)romantic (6)good for groups (5)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- We love this placeDhotchkiVIPDined on 10/19/2014The Bent Brick is one of our favorite Portland restaurants. Even better is the Sunday all day Happy Hour. Can't recommend this place enough. The chef, Scott Dolich, has kids and makes kids feel welcome. Just come early to dine together. The kids love the pasta and they almost always have some shellfish on the menu. There is always a creative dish that challenges your assumptions and blows you away with how good the food really is. A nice balance of a neighborhood restaurant and fine dining.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACE.StylistamamaDined on 10/10/2014Food good. Service great. The Bartender is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/28/2014We had heard that the chef who put this place on the map had left a while ago and the reactions to the new staff had been lukewarm. We had a delicious meal, served by very helpful staff including the bar manager. So fear not, it is still a good restaurant!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Very enjoyable, relaxed atmosphere. Service was great, we received a bonus sampling from the kitchen while we sipped some pre-dinner wine. We decided on the small plate tasting menu. It was great mix of items and flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Our dinner was fun and very good. I really like the interior of the restaurant. Really nicely done, especially the windows. Only negative thing - parking in that neighborhood is very very bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but goodSanPrideDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant has a very nice, pleasant and cozy decor. Food was very good as was the service. When we got our bill, noticed the high price and that we were charged for a club soda refill, our satisfaction with our overall dining experience rapidly declined. The all ala carte menu really added up to a much higher price than what was expected. Appreciated that all the food and even spirits were local but a fresh tomato is only worth so much. Might be a good place for an innovative drink and appetizer but not for am entire meal. If you chose an entire meal with sides, be prepared for sticker shock at bill time.Special Features:
- Delightful dinnerBruceBDined on 8/20/2014All five dishes my wife and I chose were tasty, well-presented, and promptly served. Dishes featuring albacore, eggplant, zucchini and pork were delicious. Service was great. I highly recommend the Bent Brick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good ServiceSomethingPretentiousVIPDined on 7/25/2014Really enjoyed our time. Our door dining area was very warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Loved it!krislarsVIPDined on 7/20/2014Start to finish, very creative and absolutely perfect marriage of flavors. Even the local after-dinner brandy was a hit for the foodie. We will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Ericka ArowcavageErickaADined on 7/12/2014I like the bent brick. It was pretty convenient to Rose Quarter event and the parking was easy. A few thoughts, no A/C and it was 80's outside so it was bordering hot inside. They were very accommodating to my gluten free diet, and even made changes to existing menu items to make them work. Also they serve 1/2 glasses of wine if you don't want a full glass or only want 1 1/2 . The clam appetizer was really nice and the salmon entree was good.Special Features:
- The following 141 reviews are from the The Bent Brick reviews archive.
- Get the Chef's Tasting Menu!alixeatsDined on 6/19/2014We went the The Bent Brick as recommended by a friend who use to live in Portland. The chef's tasting menu was amazing. We got so much food for our money ($49 per person) and the staff was so wonderful. For our tasting menu we had: oysters, steak tartare, carrot salad, asparagus salad, sourdough spatzle, squid ink pasta, salmon, hanger steak and chocolate cheesecake. All of which I would order again. The family style dining was really fun. The atmosphere was really great and the interior was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful patio on a nice eveningjoaneousVIPDined on 6/8/2014We shared several yummy small plates but especially enjoyed the carrot salad. And their home made ginger ale was fabulous! Save room for the chocolate cheese cake...four can share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent apps and main courseSethroDined on 6/8/2014I ate here with my girlfriend and we loved it. The grilled squash with pesto appetizer was great. Their old-fashioned is on tap and I quite enjoyed it. My girlfriend had that lamb, which itself was good, but not excellent. The lamb meatballs and the snap peas that came with it were great. My entree, a grilled pork shoulder, housemade bratwurst with leek bread pudding and morel mushrooms was divine. They butcher their own meet, which is great, and allows them to have multiple preparations of meat in one entree. It's definitely on the pricey side, but worth it. We were outside, so that's why I rated the noise level moderate. It seemed quiet inside.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu2girlsnightoutDined on 5/24/2014There are so many dishes to try on the menu, the tasting is the way to go. Perfect portion sizes, amazing flavors, great value. Fabulous drinks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MentorDined on 5/11/2014The food was unique, creative and very well prepared. The interior and setting is really cool, the sliding garage door was open and the weather was nice. The outdoor seating looked great. It's small enough to be intimate, and yet energetic. We brought our own bottle of wine, which was fortunate because the selection was limited, and the markup was "sticker shock"! The service was oddly like a restaurant on opening night. Gracious, enthusiastic, but confused. It seemed like the two people that stopped by our table during our visit were "hosting" and not "serving". Neither one asked to take our food order; one asked if we wanted drinks, but left and never came back, so we asked the other person if we could get wine/champagne.Special Features:
- One of our fave go-to restaurantsJaymiVIPDined on 5/9/2014On a rainy night it's so warm and cozy. The ambiance is casual and charming. On a warm night the huge garage-type door is open to the restaurant or sit on the patio among the flowers and small vegetable garden. Wonderful friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad I wentponeill878Dined on 5/4/2014This spot has been in my neighborhood and I had never gotten around to going super great all around. We shared roasted chicken, new york strip and hanger steak which were all perfect and very flavorful. The new york was one of the best I've had in town. I like the number of wines by the glass and the bar is very cool as well. Now that I know, I'll be back often.Special Features:
- Forgettable mealpdxdinerDined on 9/6/2013This place had been our list for a while and we left unimpressed. Much of the menu centers around sausages and they were salty and not particularly memorable. Usually a small menu with local, seasonal fare does each dish really well but this restaurant did not.
- Such a great place in theSunshineDined on 8/31/2013Such a great place in the middle of a neighborhood. Appreciate that we were able to have a dog with us sitting out on the patio.Special Features:
- Not great but not bad 1st timeHazelDined on 8/30/2013The location is convenient, between the too crowded areas of NW and the Pearl. The room is attractive but not unique. I didn't sit outside, but it looked nice. The menu is unique, to the point of being weird, a lot of things I like though. The grilled octopus salad with seaweed and potatoes was great. My green chile soup was tasty. Drinks could be cheaper or better, same with the hotdogs. If there were more patrons they could charge a little less or give slightly bigger portions., a chicken and egg thing maybe. I'll go back when I'm in the neighborhood to see how they are doing and see if they still have goat stew.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice gem, service ... BlahSDfoodieDined on 8/20/2013Enjoyed our trip to BB (first time), smart, cool dishes. Nice beer list (could be longer but like local craft options) and a very good wine list (wine to go, as well). Service (server) was not super attentive. Late with drinks (nearly empty restaurant), top quick to clean plates (when not finished). Hate that. Otherwise, a wonderful visit. Will return next time in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend this restaurant!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/17/2013We were so delighted to find this restaurant. Unique drinks and food. We shared several plates so we could experience as many as possible. We also have been to the other restaurant owned by the chef, Park Kitchen, and it is also fabulous. Give both a try. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but something missingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2013I really enjoyed the outdoor dining and general atmosphere of the place. Service was great. The food all tasted good, but I felt like they were trying just a little too hard in the foodie department. Also when I'm spending $14 on a hotdog (best one I've ever had) it would be nice to have a more interesting side than plain potato chips. That being said everything tastes good, just missing some of the small things. Also a few more wine options would be an improvement too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great evening patio expereinceericasbDined on 8/13/2013had the most amazing poached chicken - my friend had a delicious octopus salad. our server was adorable, sweet and knowledgeable. the patio is really charming - flowering vines and wood enclosures. inside looked pretty well designed as well. will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- strange service, food OKOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/16/2013The food was decent, the service was odd. 1. The hostess was over attentive about getting our drink order in 2. The server then took a very long time to come to our table for the first time. probably about 20 minutes. 3. The food came out BY PERSON. That is, diner 1 received her appetizer, long enough break for her to finish the whole thing, diner 2 received her appetizer, same long break, diner 3 received her appetizer. Then there was a VERY long break. The same pattern oddly repeating for the entree course. We had to request dessert after our server never came to the table. We were given no menu, just a pause while she waited for us to order as if she expected us to know what was on their dessert menu. She wasn't rude, just very odd.
- very goodLisaVIPDined on 7/5/2013I checked out the menu before we went and I was a little dubious of all the sausage options. Fortunately, my misgivings were unfounded. Everything our group ate was yummy, interesting, and well-executed. I had the mushroom salad and the chorizo taco and they were both delicious. This is my second time here (first time with the new chef) and both times I was taken by the building and decor. It's a lovely location and very inviting. We will most definitely return for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck fat jojos!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/1/2013My wife and I went here for our anniversary. We love trying new to us restaurants and decided on The Bent Brick. The Jojos in duck fat were the only thing we had that was memorable, and perhaps even the best potato dish we have ever encountered. The pork was a little bland and, the creamed greens were coated with too many bread crumbs, the hazelnut "baked beans" were interesting because of the preparation of the hazelnuts. The rhubarb crisp was disappointing because the crisp was a soggy mess. But I might come back just to have more jojos!
- the end of Portland dining monthdebkDined on 6/30/2013My first time here, my husband's second. It was a hot afternoon so looking for a quiet spot for a bite. Food was great but the AC wasn't to efficient...There was outside seating available but unfortunately it was on the west side of the building so in the hot sun. We chose to sit inside but not sure it was too much cooler. The wait staff was very quick to bring lots of water to each table. Overall a positive if not cool experience. Really felt for the kitchen staff.Special Features:
- A GREAT NIGHT OUTOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2013There were four of us for dinner. We picked the restaurant because of an article in Portland Magazine. We were not disappointed. Three of us tried the housemade sausage and one of us had the tacos. We all loved our dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- side asidesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2013We had the monthly special and a carafe of wine for three. The pork was superb, but we particularly enjoyed the pureed garbanzos and creamy kale. Innovative and tasty. Rhubarb cruunch was as good as mine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to meet friendsPDXBOSVIPDined on 6/19/2013Enjoyed our meal. Had the chorizo tacos which were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Neighborhood SpotGrandmaDDined on 6/15/2013We took advantage of Portland Dining Month to try the Bent Brick. The food was wonderful. The oyster mushroom salad with celery and crispy wild rice was unexpected and very good. The roasted pork with green apple and fennel relish and a side of smashed chickpeas was to die for. And oh my gosh - the scoop of buttermilk and malted barley ice cream on rhubarb crisp - so good. Makes me wish I lived in the neighborhood so I could eat here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2013It wasn't crowded and many customers were outdoors that evening, so the noise level inside wasn't as bad as many restaurants around Portland. Portions were small, especially for the price, but the food was excellent. Mixed drinks were both good and unusual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discreet charmjeanDined on 6/1/2013Bent Brick is a treasure: chic/whimiscal decor (industrial meets woodsman with stuffed ducks), great, inventive food, good drinks (all local), excellent service, and moderate prices. Best of all, it was full (all but one table occupied), but not crowded or loud. A relaxing, convivial place to actually talk with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was such a cute place!SunshineDined on 6/1/2013This was such a cute place! I was surprised I'd never seen it before. Loved sitting outside. The food was really great and the wait staff had the perfect amount of attentiveness.Special Features:
- great diningdinwfriendsDined on 5/31/2013This restaurant has a great ambiance and food to return for. The mussels are a delicious appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu is still a challengeRoadWarrior45VIPDined on 5/29/2013The former "edgy" menu almost put the place out of business, so we returned with a sense of positive anticipation. Ultimately, the new menu is a mixed bag of very good choices (the soups are great) to a strange conglomeration of sausages, some of which were dry and tasteless. We will be back to try some of the other choices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/25/2013We had a good not great dining experience on a recent Saturday night. All five of us thought our meals were ok but nothing stood out except the mandatory 20% gratuity that was added to our check which was completely inappropriate for a reservation of five people on what was a very slow night.
- nice experienceTomGDined on 5/18/2013My wife and I went to this place on the basis of nice reviews on open table. We were not disappointed. The food was excellence and the atmosphere trendy. Service was excellent and delivered with a smile. And, of course, reservations were easy with Open Table!Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2013Unfortunately I took my family here to celebrate my sisters graduation, I figured it would be good because we had about 14 people. They were accommodating for our large group & the servers were friendly. However I am so bummed we wasted a special occasion here. Bottom line it was a WAY OVER PRICED not great hot dog stand. I'm all for paying for food - even hot dogs & sausages if they are good, but out of 14 people we had, not 1, HONESTLY NOT 1 person liked what they ordered but by the time we got our food (the service was incredibly slow for just hot dogs) we were all starving and were so happy to see food we just ate it. We all left feeling very disappointed - with all the great food options in Portland we were so sad we wasted time here.