The Beer Company
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
The Beer Company
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thebeerco.net/
- Phone: 6193980707
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Abel Zaragoza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Beer Company
The Beer Company is a locally owned restaurant and brewery. Our hand crafted brews have fresh ingredients and a great, rich taste. We brew just feet away from where you'll enjoy your quality beer and delicious meal. If you appreciate quality, you'll love The Beer Company.Continued
Great Food. Great Beer. Great Atmosphere.
Great Food. Great Beer. Great Atmosphere.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Beer Company - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
The Beer Company reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (11)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (7)fit for foodies (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- great service but...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/12/2014Great service, lots of tv's, just ok food. Beer was good suggestion from waiter.Special Features:
- Great spotFantasyFootballDraftDined on 8/29/2014The place we had was perfect for our group. The service with Destiny was awesome as well. She took care of all out needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!avanDined on 8/23/2014It was a Saturday night and I made reservations for 7pm for 11 people earlier in the week through opentable. Then when the day came, I needed to push the reservation to 8pm, and when I called it was no problem. When I got there I was greeted by a hostess and was immediately seated. Our server, Destiny, was great! She handled us with attention, personable service, and divided our bill into couples to make paying easy. I had the pork chops, which were amazing. Highly recommend. The sage and dijon mustard sauce was creamy and added great favor to the peppercorn marinated pork chops! I heard no complaints from any of the other 10 people I was with. There was also an extensive drink menu. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectocnativeDined on 8/22/2014We had a group of 20+ guys for a bachelor party. It was perfect. Food was really good and everything was reasonably priced including the drinks. They were able to split the bill per person which was great. We even went back a second night. Service was excellent. Definitely recommend Beer Co.Special Features:
- could do bettermyfoodiedreamsDined on 8/16/2014The waitresses were nice and attentive, but the food was not that great. love all the tvs in there. most importantly the beer was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Thoroughly enjoyable dining experience for the entire familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014I went to here for my birthday celebration with a pretty large group and they were so accommodating. And our waiter was AWESOME!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took Reservation But Closed?AnonVIPDined on 7/4/2014They allowed us to make a reservation on the evening of July 4th, after the fireworks. We showed up on time and the place was closed.
- Messy but tastyEmilyVIPDined on 6/9/2014We went for lunch while visiting San Diego. The music was questionable (we had our daughter with us) but she wasn't paying too much attention to it. Food was good, but my sandwich kept falling apart when I tried to eat it by hand- ended up needing to knife and fork the rest. My husband left his Bluetooth behind and the hostess was kind enough to call us so we could come back and collect it... Very kind of her!Special Features:
- Food & FunoutoftownerDined on 6/6/2014We had a large party (12 people) and mixed ages - 18 yrs to 85 yrs old. It was great food and we had a fun time, and experienced good service. It was a sports/bar scene, so we were expecting music and noise...but definitely too loud for the timing/environment - it was relatively early evening (9pm) before the crowds. The music was set intensely loud for the small number of people in the establishment. Would have been good to turn it down a bit and then pump it up when the bar scene got hoppin later in the evening. Still - we'd all go back - really liked being able to watch sports and drink good beer!Special Features:
- Lots of TVsFoodeater88VIPDined on 5/31/2014There are lots of TVs. You can see them from every seat. Perhaps that will distract you for the lack of service and the incorrectly prepared and presented food. The beer was good.
- The following 41 reviews are from the The Beer Company reviews archive.
- Good food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 4/22/2014The food and service are always good here. That's what keeps us coming back for more!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 3/4/2014The food and service were great here. Taco Tuesday rules!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It took like five minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014It took like five minutes for them to come take our order and once they did it took for ever to get my drink!!! Everything was slow and they weren't that busy yet...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE LOVE LOVE THE BEER COMPANY!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I chose The Beer Company because it was locally owned, they had craft beers, & the menu was outstanding. Literally something for everyone!! The menu prices were very reasonable & the food & beer was excellent!! We were celebrating my son's graduation from Marine Corps boot camp & The Beer Company was the perfect place to do it. The staff were awesome!! This place was absolutely the highlight, besides the graduation, of our trip to San Diego.Special Features:
- Kinda below average for San DiegoshesdopeVIPDined on 2/13/2014I thought I had never been before. But once inside I remembered that I had been. The food was just okay. The service was not awful, but not good either. There was a slight odor also. The time I went before, the bartender ignored us because we were girls, was busy flirting with guys at the other end if the bar. This time, we were watching NASCAR and the bartender changed the channel on us to basketball which was already playing on 4 other TV's. One if which was right next to the one we were watching. She never asked us if we were watching it, and the bar was nearly empty. I doubt I'll ever go back. The waiter who helped us was helpful though. He was a short blonde fella. I think this place needs to step their game up.
- Nothing fantastic about theBrudogDined on 1/25/2014Nothing fantastic about the food, service or location. Just another bar in the GasLamp area.Special Features:
- First VisitTonyKVIPDined on 1/21/2014Food here was better than anticipated. Enjoyed the beer selection and the service was fast and courteous. Great casual dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual dining!LuxerDined on 1/18/2014Fast service prior to seeing a play. Good food, reasonably priced! Quick service. Bread Sticks are fabulous! Big group easily accommodated. Also a great spot to watch sporting events. Definitely would go back again!Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013Had a very good time. Service could have been a bit faster but it was a busy night. Good bus boy! He works hard! Food was great. Pretzels were awesome! Pizza is great as well! We enjoyed everything. Tasty beers as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and energetic atmosphereAKVisitorDined on 11/9/2013Had reservation and got right in. Great service with super menu choices. Had awesome enchiladas. Place was full of happy people!Special Features:
- Great group spotMattDined on 11/2/2013This place was awesome. We only did happy hour good but the prices we're great and the food was great as well. The house brews are fantastic and prices on mixed drinks are very reasonable. The service was friendly but just a little but slow, almost not even enough to mention but if you're trying to catch a movie or something then you might want to give yourself about 20-30 minutes extra. Overall this place is great and we will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice sports bar atmosphere.TableForTwoDined on 10/12/2013Nice sports bar atmosphere. The decor of the restaurant is pretty cool! Food was good. Beer was pretty good. All in all, a fun spot and definitely worth the price.Special Features:
- Hot restaurant + Bad serviceSarahDined on 9/1/2013Our experience at this restaurant was horrible. The waitress was terrible. She took forever to collect our drink orders... it was nearly an hour before we were able to place a dinner order after asking several times. When the food did arrive it was served to the wrong people and we were told they were our orders. When she realized they were in fact the incorrect orders the plates were taken back and we had to wait even longer for our food to be remade. We were made to feel uncomfortable about being a large party even though we made reservations. To top it off it was extremely hot inside. After a while the waitress told us to place our drink orders at the bar. The bartender forgot to make 2 rounds of drinks as well. I will never go back.
- Good Food / Beer - Sports Bar styleJasonCVIPDined on 8/30/2013This was my first time to San Diego and my friend and I were looking for a quick bite before heading to 5th Street in the Gaslamp District. Luckily we found The Beer Company. There were quite a few people here but seating was quick. Noise level was tolerable for a conversation but still energetic. Just what I was looking for before a night out.Special Features:
- Lunch ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/24/2013We went for a business lunch and we were on a time constraint of a normal hour lunch...after 45 mins of waiting for or lunch that consisted of a half sandwich/cup of soup and an order of street tacos our food had still not arrived!! When brought to the server's attention who we had not seen the entire time, she said they were "backed up" and it was coming. We asked for a manager and no manager came by. One of us had to leave to go back to work while the other still waited for the food. When the food did arrive, it was sub par. We will never go back and will never recommend it to anyone which is very sad because it is convenient for us for lunch and happy hour.
- Second ReviewDisgruntledDined on 5/31/2013I have sent in a formal complain regarding this restaurant not even knowing they use open table. I attempted to provide our confirmation number and not even the supervisor was aware of Open Table. The manager was called, however, nobody got back to us as to how we would be able to get our points for this reservation. The response from customer care essentially blamed us for not booking properly, not having firewalls set up, etc., however, I booked directly through open table and had a confirmation number of 1807756683.Special Features:
- Went for my birthday it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013Went for my birthday it was really busy but our server was attentive and we didnt wait long for anything despite a party of 20. We spent a lot less then we expected to everything was well priced and the drinks were strong!Special Features:
- Great pub to watch sportingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/27/2013Great pub to watch sporting events. Lots of big screens throughout. Staff was very helpful in making sure we had seats and nearby screen to watch what we wanted. I ordered the downtown hamburger and fries and a beer sampler of their own beer. Outstanding!Special Features:
- Tried it out before the BonnieOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013Tried it out before the Bonnie Raitt concert at Copley. Good food, friendly service, nice microbrew selection. A bit noisy, but it's more of a sports bar so what the heck. I'll go back.Special Features:
- Excellent beers. I had a coupleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/20/2013Excellent beers. I had a couple IPAs, an American style and a Black IPA. Both were fresh and unfiltered. The American IPA had a strong and complex hop nose, good body and finished bitter. The black IPA was also hoppy, finished bitter and and good malt flavor. My group had a couple pizzas that were also quite good. We were there on a Wednesday so had a pitcher of beer and pizza for $18. Great deal. Servers were also excellent.Special Features:
- The food is a nice but aboveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013The food is a nice but above bar food and the specials are offered by a chef who really thinks creatively about value and pricing. So good deals. The beer is why you are here, though, and it is terrific. In two trips I've tried most of the locally-made offerings and enjoyed each one. Good TVs showing sports, but no sound it that is important. I like to sit at the bar.Special Features:
- Not as significant of a beerJ2lovesbeerDined on 2/12/2013Not as significant of a beer selection as I would've liked but it was still a great placeSpecial Features:
- First timerErinDined on 2/1/2013The beer selection was great. It was pretty loud even though we got there before the dinner rush. They also don't have a separate kids menu or anything for you kids to do while you wait. If you take your kids, bring your own entertainment for them.Special Features:
- Super fun for sports SundaysahdiiiVIPDined on 1/13/2013Super fun for sports Sundays and Saturdays. Beer selection was outstanding and the servers knowledgeable and pretty ! Food was excellent and came out promptly.Special Features:
- This place is loud! It isOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/5/2013This place is loud! It is far more of a bar than a restaurant. Not a good place for kids and don't expect to have a conversation with all tv's at full volume. Beer was good and the food was as well just don't expect a dining experience. Go to watch a game with yor buddies but leave the family at home.Special Features:
- The flexibility for tryingKateVIPDined on 12/30/2012The flexibility for trying so many of the fabulous micro-brewed beers was a real treat! Not only delicious, but we were able to try them all, and repeat a custom tasting. The food was surprisingly good, an the staff was very accomodating to allow us to watch the Vikings game on one of the televisions while the rest of the bar watched San Diego beat the Raiders. Thank you for a wonderful celebration of my daughter's birthday.Special Features:
- Above average bar food. GreatTheFoodRatVIPDined on 11/18/2012Above average bar food. Great service and some good brews.Special Features:
- Great burger. Quality beefOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/13/2012Great burger. Quality beef and exceptional bun. Wings were good, but blue cheese much more like a ranch with blue cheese crumbles. Plenty of TVs to watch the games - we went on a Saturday. Home beer ok, but not exceptional. Fun place, but a little dark -unnecessarily.
- The food was decent but theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2012The food was decent but the service was horrible. It was really slow and we got our appetizers after our entrees had arrived.Special Features: